Twins announcers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Twins announcers

I usually have the sound off but the closed captions on.  When I listen to our guys, they are usually not guilty of homerism and just want to call the game (most of the time--sometimes they like to b.s. about whatever, and of course they love to have guests in the booth during the game). 

Most other teams' announcers are very into supporting their team.  So last night the Twins announcers went mildly ape when that 9th inning grounder to AGon was called fair, which produced a crucial second out with two men on base.  To be honest, I also thought the ball was foul because it bounced right on the line in front of the bag and then kicked right, which would make it difficult for the ball to have passed over the plane of first base. 

However, one or two pitches earlier on the same batter, Aviles threw a great strike that fooled the batter and the umpire too.  It was nowhere near a corner, but was very close to the center of the strike zone--and was called a ball.  Absolutely no comment from the Twins announcers for an egregious miscall that favored their team.  FWIW, I did not think the homeplate ump was all that bad.  He missed some calls, but most do in the course of a game, especially an interminable one like the Sox usually play. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yoshimi25. Show Yoshimi25's posts

Re: Twins announcers

Ugh.  I thought they were rather dull. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from chuchos. Show chuchos's posts

Just shows how desperate the bullpen situation is when Aviles is closing.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

The NESN guys thought it was a foul ball as well.

But if the Baseball guys in NESN were like the Hockey Guys on NESN, they'd be a little more demonstrative.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tombirner. Show tombirner's posts

In Response to Twins announcers:
    [QUOTE]I usually have the sound off but the closed captions on.  When I listen to our guys, they are usually not guilty of homerism and just want to call the game (most of the time--sometimes they like to b.s. about whatever, and of course they love to have guests in the booth during the game).  Most other teams' announcers are very into supporting their team.  So last night the Twins announcers went mildly ape when that 9th inning grounder to AGon was called fair, which produced a crucial second out with two men on base.  To be honest, I also thought the ball was foul because it bounced right on the line in front of the bag and then kicked right, which would make it difficult for the ball to have passed over the plane of first base.  However, one or two pitches earlier on the same batter, Aviles threw a great strike that fooled the batter and the umpire too.  It was nowhere near a corner, but was very close to the center of the strike zone--and was called a ball.  Absolutely no comment from the Twins announcers for an egregious miscall that favored their team.  FWIW, I did not think the homeplate ump was all that bad.  He missed some calls, but most do in the course of a game, especially an interminable one like the Sox usually play. 
    Posted by maxbialystock[/QUOTE]

I live overseas and have no choice but to watch the home broadcast of all games. I didn't really notice the foul ball thing (and... Aviles? huh?), and even besides that, it works as a bunt and if the next batter gets a base hit, it suddenly is a "good" blown call for them, so hard to whine about it... but anyway...

I could not believe how dull and lifeless those announcers are. It really surprised me that any MLB market would settle for that. It almost sounded like a parody of some kind.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

In Response to Re: Twins announcers:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Twins announcers : I live overseas and have no choice but to watch the home broadcast of all games. I didn't really notice the foul ball thing (and... Aviles? huh?), and even besides that, it works as a bunt and if the next batter gets a base hit, it suddenly is a "good" blown call for them, so hard to whine about it... but anyway... I could not believe how dull and lifeless those announcers are. It really surprised me that any MLB market would settle for that. It almost sounded like a parody of some kind.
    Posted by tombirner[/QUOTE]The color guy for this series was Tom Kelly who is the beloved former manager of the Twins because Bert Blyleven the usual color guy isnt available.

I found Kelly to be almost annoying with his voice for silent film, series of excuses for the Twins weaker links and instructional commentary at every turn.

Broadcasts teams are all a matter of taste. I grew quite tired of Eck when he was subbing for Remy but lots of folks loved him.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

I thought Smalley did a nice job for us on Monday

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PaulLaCourse. Show PaulLaCourse's posts

[QUOTE]I usually have the sound off but the closed captions on.  When I listen to our guys, they are usually not guilty of homerism and just want to call the game (most of the time--sometimes they like to b.s. about whatever, and of course they love to have guests in the booth during the game).  Most other teams' announcers are very into supporting their team.  So last night the Twins announcers went mildly ape when that 9th inning grounder to AGon was called fair, which produced a crucial second out with two men on base.  To be honest, I also thought the ball was foul because it bounced right on the line in front of the bag and then kicked right, which would make it difficult for the ball to have passed over the plane of first base.  However, one or two pitches earlier on the same batter, Aviles threw a great strike that fooled the batter and the umpire too.  It was nowhere near a corner, but was very close to the center of the strike zone--and was called a ball.  Absolutely no comment from the Twins announcers for an egregious miscall that favored their team.  FWIW, I did not think the homeplate ump was all that bad.  He missed some calls, but most do in the course of a game, especially an interminable one like the Sox usually play. 

One of the announcers is Tom Kelly, i believe, and his monotone voice is enough to drive me crazy. Bueller, Bueller, Bueller.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from harv53. Show harv53's posts

Living in FL, when the Sox play the Rays (home or away), I have to listen to the Rays broadcast on the SunRays channel because MLB Extra Innings is blacked out, and I'm 9 hours from Tampa.
    You talk about homerism. Dewayne Staats and his sidekick are the worst!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from GEAUX-TIGRES. Show GEAUX-TIGRES's posts

[QUOTE]Living in FL, when the Sox play the Rays (home or away), I have to listen to the Rays broadcast on the SunRays channel because MLB Extra Innings is blacked out, and I'm 9 hours from Tampa. You talk about homerism. Dewayne Staats and his sidekick are the worst!
    Posted by harv53[/QUOTE]
    Simple solution. Tune them out.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from NHBALLFAN. Show NHBALLFAN's posts

Don Orsillo is not a homer?

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Over the course of the season the calls average out. The Sox weren't getting some calls when they were losing games--they have won a few in a row and they are getting the calls. The Twins are on a downward slide and didn't get the calls in the 9 th--that may change as early as the next series.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

They were kind of bland and boring , but did a good job of calling the game and analyzing the action. Just a matter of what you prefer. I frequently find Remy and Orsillo to be annoying.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

[QUOTE]They were kind of bland and boring , but did a good job of calling the game and analyzing the action. Just a matter of what you prefer. I frequently find Remy and Orsillo to be annoying.
    Posted by dgalehouse[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I do too.  Then I sit back and ask myself, Do you have any idea how difficult it would be to sit there for 162 games a year and find something to say every inning?  There's A LOT of "downtime" in baseball!! 

All things considered, I like them.