TWO 15 TEAM LEAGUES?????

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

TWO 15 TEAM LEAGUES?????

What do you think of the idea that is being kicked around of eliminating divisions and making two 15 team leagues?  Top 5 in each league would make the playoffs.

Eliminates 19 game schedules within divisions.

Top 5 teams play, no matter the division.  So a .525 weak division winner won't take the place of a strong third place division team ...

A team from the NL would have to transfer to AL....

It has the players union approval.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Re: TWO 15 TEAM LEAGUES?????

I'd like it if it was the winner of each league playing each other for the world championship.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Sounds familiar...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

...but geographically improbable.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

I hate it. I want interleague play to end.

Keep it as is.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Roy, inter-league play is responsible for many RedSox wins. I like the contrast.
    But I don't care for Papi with so much down time.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

How about three 10-team leagues with only one Wild Card to shorten the postseason?

The regional alignment (with each team's natural rival):

Eastern League
    Yankees / Mets
    Red Sox / Braves
    Pirates / Phillies
    Orioles / Nationals
    Rays / Marlins

Central League
    Indians / Reds
    Tigers / Blue Jays
    White Sox / Cubs
    Twins / Brewers
    Royals / Cardinals

Western League
    Rangers / Astros
    Rockies / Diamondbacks
    Angels / Dodgers
    Athletics / Giants
    Mariners / Padres

Each team plays each intraleague opponent 18 times for 162 regular season games. The regional format cuts down on travel costs.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

I don't know about the math, but I guess they would have to have Interleague play throughout the season instead of it being compacted into a few weeks.  It could help balance the schedule for teams within the same division having to play the same 5 teams in the other league, but it will also seem a little odd for a playoff contending team to all of sudden have to play an interleague game in September.  Maybe they can schedule games like KC vs. Pittsburgh down the stretch and they won't have to worry about it. 

I don't mind interleague, but I don't like having the extra playoff teams.  It waters down the playoffs and panders to teams like the Yankees and Red Sox when they don't earn their spots. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

A Rat In The House May Eat The Ice Cream.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In Response to Re: TWO 15 TEAM LEAGUES?????:
    [QUOTE]How about three 10-team leagues with only one Wild Card to shorten the postseason? The regional alignment (with each team's natural rival): Eastern League Yankees / Mets Red Sox / Braves Pirates / Phillies Orioles / Nationals Rays / Marlins Central League Indians / Reds Tigers / Blue Jays White Sox / Cubs Twins / Brewers Royals / Cardinals Western League Rangers / Astros Rockies / Diamondbacks Angels / Dodgers Athletics / Giants Mariners / Padres Each team plays each intraleague opponent 18 times for 162 regular season games. The regional format cuts down on travel costs.
    Posted by hill55[/QUOTE]

Shorten the season and reduce revenues?  Never gonna happen. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

As far as the move goes, easy fix.  Just move Arizona to the AL and put Houston back in the NL west (yes harness, I know Houston is not really in the "west"). 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

Here is my proposal for a better balanced schedule for the following allignment.

BOS        NYM
    NYY        PHIL
    TOR        ATL
    BAL         FLA
    TAM       WASH

CWS       CHC
    DET        STL
    CLE        CIN
    KC          PIT       
    MIN        MIL 

LAA        LAD
    OAK        SF
    SEA        SD
    TEX        HOU
    ARZ        COL

Within division                        15/16 games per team
    Within league, outside division    8/9   games per team
    Interleague                            3 per team, 15 or 16 games total, alternating divisional play   each season, with maybe 1 "rival" game played on Opening day

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Do away with NL and AL and have 5 - 6 team divisions. 5 division winners make it. Top wild card makes it. Next 4 wild cards play a one game play-in to make the 8 teams.

East
    Boston/Tor
    NYY/NYM
    Pitt/Balt

South
    Fla/TB 
    Wash/Atl
    TX/Hou

North
    Pitt/Det
    Cle/Cin
    CWS/CC

Central
    Mil/MN
    KC/StL
    Col/AZ

West
    Sea/SF
    LAA/LAD
    SD/Oak

Schedule:
    18 games vs own division (5 x 18=90 gms)
    3 games vs other 24 teams (3 x 24=72 games)
    (rotate home and away every year)

Or....
    6 divisions of 5 teams:
    East:
    Bos/NYY/NYM/Phil/Bal
    South:
    Wash/Oak to NC/Atl/TB/Fla
    North:
    Tor/Pitt/Det/Cle/Cin
    Central:
    MN/Mil/CWS/CC/StL
    SouthWest:
    KC/TX/Hou/Col/AZ
    West:
    Sea/SF/LAA/LAD/SD

6 division winners, 1 wild card, 2 next wild cards play a 1 game play-in for the 8th slot.

Schedule:
    18 games x 4 same division= 72 gms
    4 games vs 15 teams= 60 gms
    3 games vs 10 teams= 30 gms
    (Rotate 3/4 game divisions yearly)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Let's go right back to the AL and NL. The winner of each league plays each other for the World's championship.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Oh, I'm sorry if I didn't make it clear.  There would still be inter-league play DURING the season, plus the winner of the top 5 of each league playing each other.

Thus pennants would remain and the World Series would remain.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I always thought the baseball playoffs would benifit from some kind of round robin first round. The TV and attendance would be off-the-charts.

Let's say the 4 AL tems are: Boston, NYY, Det, Tex, the first round could look like this:

NYY @ Bos for 2
    Det @ Tex for 2

Bos @ Det for 2
    Tex @ NYY for 2

Tex @ Bos for 2
    NYY @ Det for 2

Then again but reverse home and away. Each team plays a 12 game round one and the top 2 teams play a 7 game series to go to the WS. Ties would be problematic.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]I always thought the baseball playoffs would benifit from some kind of round robin first round. The TV and attendance would be off-the-charts. Let's say the 4 AL tems are: Boston, NYY, Det, Tex, the first round could look like this: NYY @ Bos for 2 Det @ Tex for 2 Bos @ Det for 2 Tex @ NYY for 2 Tex @ Bos for 2 NYY @ Det for 2 Then again but reverse home and away. Each team plays a 12 game round one and the top 2 teams play a 7 game series to go to the WS. Ties would be problematic.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]That's a pretty good idea moon. Is there an election for commissioner?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Some rather interesting alignments. What enters into having 8-10 team leagues is the uneven monetary playing field. For example, Boston can ride with NY if they are a bit quicker to the punch is areas like scouting and drafting.

But the O's/Bluejays are also-rans out of the gate. A ten-team division would almost eliminate 8 teams and I don't think that's right.

Furthermore, teams playing each other more often in their own division can create a major disadvantage. What would the O's be doing if they were in the central division?

My point is, if they are going to re-align teams, it has to be done in the context of a salary cap or a similar way to control spending.

The only fair way is to bring back an even playing field in all areas. The unbalanced schedule is necessary geographically, but it's very unfair. A 90-win Tiger team might not win 83 if they were in the A.L. East.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

To quote jete, welcome to the AL East, the roughest neighborhood in America.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I like the ideal of having two wildcards, they can play a 1 or 3 game series to get into the playoffs.  I though that was on the table at one point, no?

Honestly as long as the Sox play baseball in Boston every year I'm happy

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

I AM OPEN TO CHANGE SOOOONER, RATHER THAN LATER......  I WILL TALK WITH THEO AND GET BACK TO THE BOARD !!!!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

[QUOTE]Let's go right back to the AL and NL. The winner of each league plays each other for the World's championship.
    Posted by carnie[/QUOTE]
    So you can win 96 games and miss the playoffs?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bald-predictions. Show bald-predictions's posts

Call me old fashion but I liked it when the only time the AL and the NL played was in the WS.  

If they continue to expand the playoffs (they are only doing it because of the added money) then we will become like football, Basketball and Hockey.  Where just about everyone makes the postseason..

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]I hate it. I want interleague play to end. Keep it as is.
    Posted by royf19[/QUOTE]

Amen, brother! Ten playoff teams is ridiculous! When is the season going to end...in mid-November?

The powers that be in MLB have already ruined the All-Star game by giving us inter-league play...which has also taken much of the charm and lustre away from the World Series. A balanced schedule is boring, and would damage long- time, inter-divisional rivalries. Red Sox vs. Yankees 19 times works for me.