Two gigantic errors by Iglesias when it counts

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Re: Two gigantic errors by Iglesias when it counts

In response to RedSoxKimmi's comment:

I'm not going to bash Iggy.  He's a great defensive SS.  However, it is ironic that that he booted a ball that led to Victorino's slam, while Drew made a tremendous play that kept the Tiger's lead at that time to one run.

It's not bashing Iggy. It's thropwing it back at the forum that quoted: "Drew sucks, he's only OK at short. Iggy's all-world. Bad trade."  <- that's an end quote.

Drew has been the better shortstop.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from youkillus. Show youkillus's posts

In response to TheExaminer's comment:

Bill was right, Iggy really was the key to getting to the World Series!

+1

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

In response to Hetchinspete's comment:

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

I think Iglesias needs to get serious about his profession and maybe not let the lavish praise go to his head quite as much as it clearly has.  He is still brilliant, but just not that reliable.  Drew is way, way, way more reliable.

Max, 

I usually enjoy reading your posts and agree with much of what you usually say, but why the need to dump on Iggy. How you read into him thinking he's not serious about his prefession, etc and where do you get the idea that praise has gotten to his head. Flashy he is but he always has been, at least when I've seen him. He's a confident defensive fielder who most likely knows how good he is, but so what. He's obviously worked hard to improve his hitting as well. In watching him in the playoffs he doesn't look like the same player we watched flounder at the plate so badly last year.

Ease up on Iggy and be cheerful for the Sox.

Hetchless  

Well said.  Completely agree his hitting has improved.  No question he is a great fielding SS.  My intemperate OP was the result of the lavish praise Fox dispensed throughout the ALCS for all things Detroit, including Iglesias, and the scant praise for the Sox team as a whole.  Watching game 6, one had the impression that the Tigers must be leading 3-2 because their guys were getting the interviews, etc.  Meanwhile Fox generally did not recognize that the Sox actually have a pretty good defensive team at 1B, 2B, SS, CF, and RF and aren't half bad at 3B, LF, and C.  At the beginning of game 6, Fox did say the Sox have the better bullpen, but we knew that before the ALCS started. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

"Fox did say the Sox have the better bullpen, but we knew that before the ALCS started"

Max,

The Tigers were the team with Star power and the Networks eat that stuff up, thier one achiliies proved to be the difference in the series. That was the bullpen. Something that Dombrowski didn't address at any point before or during the season. When he had the chance to add a proven closer and keep Beniot for the setup role (Papelbon?). 

It'll be interesting to see how Fox handles the production of the World Series since neither team has what you would call star power...no CY young candidates, no MVP types. My intuition suggests that we're going to see a lot of film from days gone bye....

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

In response to Chicagofire's comment:

We won't know who was right on the Iggy for Peavy trade for years.

LOL.

If you say so Salty/Fireman/4040club.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSPCB73. Show RSPCB73's posts

Remember the kid's only 23.  He had some spectacular plays and a couple very costly mistakes.  Detroit is a good baseball organization (just like Boston); they'll work with him and he'll learn from this experience.  His hitting has already improved and become passable for a SS.  Detroit should enjoy his services for quitesome time.

Our SS definitely was no slouch in the field.  I'll admit I was one of those calling for his replacement by Boggy, and I was wrong.  Drew played more than adequate defense and helped the team's cause on more than one occasion.

Very, very proud of our team.  Go Sox! Go win it all!

Red Sox 2013 ALCS Champs, Patriots in 2014 SB!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

I'm not going to bash Iggy.  He's a great defensive SS.  However, it is ironic that that he booted a ball that led to Victorino's slam, while Drew made a tremendous play that kept the Tiger's lead at that time to one run.

And that is what DAD would call "BASEBALL" !!!  I felt bad for the kid, but he was a pleasure to watch. He got/gets to balls that other players "dream" of.....  And yes, agree that Drew did his part in the field.....  Makes Ben & J F look goooood !!   Go SOX !!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

In response to zbellino's comment:

It's not bashing Iggy. It's thropwing it back at the forum that quoted: "Drew sucks, he's only OK at short. Iggy's all-world. Bad trade."  <- that's an end quote.

Exactly. Months of listening to people yammer on about the loss of Iggy being SUCH a big deal. and it was a big deal, if the Red Sox didnt trade Iggy Detroit might have won the WS.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

In response to Beantowne's comment:

"Fox did say the Sox have the better bullpen, but we knew that before the ALCS started"

Max,

The Tigers were the team with Star power and the Networks eat that stuff up, thier one achiliies proved to be the difference in the series. That was the bullpen. Something that Dombrowski didn't address at any point before or during the season. When he had the chance to add a proven closer and keep Beniot for the setup role (Papelbon?). 

It'll be interesting to see how Fox handles the production of the World Series since neither team has what you would call star power...no CY young candidates, no MVP types. My intuition suggests that we're going to see a lot of film from days gone bye....

Beantowne, astute observations.  I hadn't thought about the starpower, but it's absolutely true.  The Tigers have bunches of stars. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In response to RSPCB73's comment:

Remember the kid's only 23.  He had some spectacular plays and a couple very costly mistakes.  Detroit is a good baseball organization (just like Boston); they'll work with him and he'll learn from this experience.  His hitting has already improved and become passable for a SS.  Detroit should enjoy his services for quitesome time.

Our SS definitely was no slouch in the field.  I'll admit I was one of those calling for his replacement by Boggy, and I was wrong.  Drew played more than adequate defense and helped the team's cause on more than one occasion.

Very, very proud of our team.  Go Sox! Go win it all!

Red Sox 2013 ALCS Champs, Patriots in 2014 SB!

I concur, Iglesias is and will be a very good SS for a long, long time. My guess is that if they had it to do over the Tigers would still make the trade and with Peralta a free agent. See Iglesias as the starter entering camp next spring. I wish him well and hopefully now that this series is over we can finaly put the daily Iglesias threads to bed for the winter...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ANONMD08. Show ANONMD08's posts

Where is Softy?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Max,

Beantowne, astute observations.  I hadn't thought about the starpower, but it's absolutely true.  The Tigers have bunches of stars. 

Sometimes we the fans forget that the networks are in the entertainment buissiness. Each game is a production geared to keep those watching that don't have a vested interest tuned in. if I were a betting man my guess is that Fox and TNT both were rooting hard for a Dodger v Tigers matchup..Kershaw v Verlander...the hobbled super stars Cabrera and Ramirez. the glitz of LA v the blue collar town of Detriot. Instead they have the best two teams facing one another. Teams that both earned the right to play for all the marbles and have a ton of history, but not a ton of national appeal. Something tells me they'll figure out the best way to market the series...the first clues will be the commercial spots created to get the buzz going in the next few days. 

What an amazing run by the Red Sox...can't wait til Wednesday. Four wins and we get a parade...I see this series as pretty even both teams can pitch, hit and catch the ball. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

It's unfortunate but he will forever be known, in Detroit, as the goat who blew their W.S. chance.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Iggy is a great fielder already - he just flubbed it - he made no excuses for it and took blame like a man after the game....

let's worry about our SS situation for the Series...Drew needs to sit and we need to give Middlebrooks some at bats while Bogey plays everyday...Drew/Middlebrooks can play every other game....Drew looks like crapola at bat as he usually does when facing decent pitching...I love farrell but his decision to stick with him every start seems absurd...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Leftfielder61. Show Leftfielder61's posts

In response to Chicagofire's comment:

We won't know who was right on the Iggy for Peavy trade for years.

I completely disagree. getting to the World Series has shown this was the right deal at the right time!!!! No disrespect to Iggy who will have a very good career.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In response to tcal2-'s comment:

It's unfortunate but he will forever be known, in Detroit, as the goat who blew their W.S. chance.

No that distinction belongs to Veres and his bullpen mates...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mchampion. Show Mchampion's posts

Who cares about Iggy we have a younger better all around player in Bogaerts.  This guy can hit and field and he is 21....I can't wait to watch this guy for the next decade.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

Max,

Hi Max, 

Both Beane and you bring up very valid points. Detroit definitely has star power and the media does over due that aspect, but if anybody knows my writings they know I'm always very critical of the media/press. I stayed out of the argument about the press this time on purpose listening to Buck/McCarver as I tend to enjoy their commentary and early on wasn't sure I agreed with the critisizm. So I listened/watch each game closely and the more I watched the more grating it became.

Whether it is a result of the direction they are being given or a built in predudice it was obvious the duo were really pushing for the Tigers. Very little if any interviews with Farrel that I can recall and at least 3-4 interviews with Leland. Constant views of the Detroit dugout, conversations with a few important player in the Detroit dugout, etc. Star power aside, it is obvious that the media coverage was slanted in the Tigers direction.  

Hetchless  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

In response to ANONMD08's comment:

Where is Softy?

Quietly seething under his ROCK !! Please keep it down. No noise. Let him seeth quietly. With any luck he'll stay under his ROCK !!

Cheers, 

Hetch

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to georom4's comment:

Iggy is a great fielder already - he just flubbed it - he made no excuses for it and took blame like a man after the game....

let's worry about our SS situation for the Series...Drew needs to sit and we need to give Middlebrooks some at bats while Bogey plays everyday...Drew/Middlebrooks can play every other game....Drew looks like crapola at bat as he usually does when facing decent pitching...I love farrell but his decision to stick with him every start seems absurd...

Absurd?  Drew made a brilliant play last night that saved at least one run.  He also made an outstanding play in Game 5 on the double play where Lester almost threw it away.

Drew's defence is keeping him in the lineup.  It's the right move.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

In response to 37stories' comment:

In response to zbellino's comment:

Exactly. Months of listening to people yammer on about the loss of Iggy being SUCH a big deal. and it was a big deal, if the Red Sox didnt trade Iggy Detroit might have won the WS.

Ok then.  Carry on!  Smile

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

Geo, 

I disagree. Drew is playing great defense right now and has made more than a few plays to save runs. That's why Farrel is playing him, but in some regard I'd also love to see Boggy in the game. What I don't get is you want to sit Drew because he's not hitting and insert Middy into the lineup when he looks just as lost at the plate as Drew. Middlebrooks play decent defense but not nearly as good as Drew, and although Boggy is our SS of the future, feilding is not his strong suit right now. We need Drew's very strong defense in the WS. It's obvious he and Pedey make a great double play combination that really work well together.  Inserting Middy and taking Drew out the infield defense isn't nearly as good. We need Drew at SS with Boggy at third for his bat. Unfortunately it means Middlebrooks has to sit. 

Hetch  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

Absurd?  Drew made a brilliant play last night that saved at least one run.  He also made an outstanding play in Game 5 on the double play where Lester almost threw it away.

I figured that after last night's defensive play, questions about why Drew was still in the line up would be answered once and for all, if they hadn't already been answered after the great defense in Game 5.

Nothing against Bogaerts, but I really like Drew's veteran presence in the field for these games.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

+1

Hetch

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

I figured that after last night's defensive play, questions about why Drew was still in the line up would be answered once and for all, if they hadn't already been answered after the great defense in Game 5.

Nothing against Bogaerts, but I really like Drew's veteran presence in the field for these games.

+1 to you as well. In season games are one thing, but in the playoffs, especially the WS in critical times we need veteran leadership as well as very strong defense which Drew gives. Middlebrooks is the odd player out. As much as I support Middy, I don't understand his whining about not being in the lineup either. It shows a bit of being self centered at a time when players need to be totally team oriented. I'm hoping Farrel sits him down now or after the season for a conversation behind closed doors. The team comes first always, not a players feelings. 

Hetch

Sections
Shortcuts