Two Large Free Agents in the Offseason: Should the Red Sox Bid?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheRedStain. Show TheRedStain's posts

Re: Two Large Free Agents in the Offseason: Should the Red Sox Bid?

Boston does NOT have Matsuzaka returning from injury, as his contract expired. I believe they need two starters. Obviously C.J. Wilson will be considered, but why would his team allow him to leave? I predict he stays where he is and gets a deserved raise.
    There are still trades that can be made for a pitcher who is not a free agent. Perhaps we'll trade for some pitching. Junichi Tazawa is an in-house possibility if he regains his pre-Tommy John surgery form. It has also been suggested that Aceves or Bard might be stretched into starters.
    Wakefield has to go. It would be nice to get something out of Lacky. If he is a clubhouse cancer, trade him. If his marriage issues sapped his focus maybe he can enjoy a resurgence.
    I believe that a right fielder will be brought in, since Reddick failed to produce in the second half of the season. But again, free agents make up only a portion of the available field of candidates.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1958lesspaul. Show 1958lesspaul's posts

Sizemore would be a joke, almost as bad as Crawford on fit. Wilson will be an overpriced prima donna. Red Sox need new gm and management that understands how to manage and develop pitching. The Red Sox already have enough prima donna pitchers. They should sign two veteran pitchers to one year contracts with at least 180 IP over last 2 years and AL ERA under 4.75 and NL ERA under 4.00.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jackbu. Show jackbu's posts

No doubt they need a pitcher. After that instead of throwing big money around, they should look for a millar or Lowell type. They also need to build up the farm.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-Bay-Fan. Show J-Bay-Fan's posts

In Response to Re: Two Large Free Agents in the Offseason: Should the Red Sox Bid?:
    Sizemore would be a joke, almost as bad as Crawford on fit. Wilson will be an overpriced prima donna. Red Sox need new gm and management that understands how to manage and develop pitching. The Red Sox already have enough prima donna pitchers. They should sign two veteran pitchers to one year contracts with at least 180 IP over last 2 years and AL ERA under 4.75 and NL ERA under 4.00.
    Posted by 1958lesspaul

Rich Harden and Jon Garland

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxnsl. Show maxnsl's posts

In Response to Re: Two Large Free Agents in the Offseason: Should the Red Sox Bid?:
    [QUOTE]Boston does NOT have Matsuzaka returning from injury, as his contract expired. I believe they need two starters. Obviously C.J. Wilson will be considered, but why would his team allow him to leave? I predict he stays where he is and gets a deserved raise. There are still trades that can be made for a pitcher who is not a free agent. Perhaps we'll trade for some pitching. Junichi Tazawa is an in-house possibility if he regains his pre-Tommy John surgery form. It has also been suggested that Aceves or Bard might be stretched into starters. Wakefield has to go. It would be nice to get something out of Lacky. If he is a clubhouse cancer, trade him. If his marriage issues sapped his focus maybe he can enjoy a resurgence. I believe that a right fielder will be brought in, since Reddick failed to produce in the second half of the season. But again, free agents make up only a portion of the available field of candidates. Red I believe we still have the Dice for 1 more year, however he wont be anywhere ner ready until about Aug
     until about Aug if then

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I am under the impression that Dice is under contract thru the end of next year. I also understood his surgery to be a full year recovery, meaning that by the time he conceivably could pitch, we are looking at Sept 2012. Perhaps couple of Pawtucket rehab starts?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Wilson yes, Sizemore no. Then last thing we need is another questionable left handed bat..

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Daisuke remains under Sox control until the end of next season.  And he's probably ready by May or so.

About this bleacher report, our biggest problem was right hand batter in ourfield.  Pitching was not that big of a concern until that historic collapse in September.  When Sox were playing the best baseball during the mid-season, did anybody complain this much about our pitching staff?? except Lackey of course.  RS' biggest problem was that RF position who can hit lefties.  That's why Mike Cameron was released, DMac didn't see much playing time, Reddick and others had to share their time.  Being said, this report is seeing Red Sox go out and sign another lefty outfielder whose primary position is even RF and prone to injury???? And Yankees decline Swisher's option even though he had hell of a finish and sign Sizemore to replace Swisher??? who wrote this report???

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-Bay-Fan. Show J-Bay-Fan's posts

The red sox need to give all for CJ Wilson ! 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from fourrings. Show fourrings's posts

he will not be ready by may, August is more likely especially since Boras is his agent, Boras will not rush him back at all when after next year he is an unrestricted free agent and Borass can get him another deal if he's healthy

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

he will not be ready by may, August is more likely especially since Boras is his agent, Boras will not rush him back at all when after next year he is an unrestricted free agent and Borass can get him another deal if he's healthy
    Posted by fourrings

You think Dice-K can get even a decent contract even if he's healthy??? He needs to get out there as early as possible and prove himself that he can get those wins again if he wants to stay in major league.  otherwise, he's back to Japan..

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3992292. Show user_3992292's posts

Red Sox isnt going to sign another player who is prone to injury such as Sizemore. Safer signing is to sign Josh Willingham!!  Period.  Then find a decent medium range salary heathy pitcher or player via free agent such as Edwin Jackson.  

Boston is already starting its season with possible three players that could be prone to injury which they are Dice K, Bucholtz and Jenk who are all under the contract for next season.

So therefore, do you think Boston is going to sign another player who could be prone to injury?  Heck no!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Sizemore a speedy outfielder to have with Ellsbury and Crawford.  Another sounds good kind of idea that will lead to a further disaster as Crawford was this season.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

Posted by 1958lesspaul

For a couple million bucks and one year he is definitely worth the risk. Wilson is not a prima donna, he is soft spoken, unassuming, and doesn't even drink.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

In Response to Re: Two Large Free Agents in the Offseason: Should the Red Sox Bid? : You think Dice-K can get even a decent contract even if he's healthy??? He needs to get out there as early as possible and prove himself that he can get those wins again if he wants to stay in major league.  otherwise, he's back to Japan..
    Posted by seannybboi

He might want to return to Japan.  I thought that I read somewhere that his returning to Japan is a real possibility. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

Sox must sign a quality pitcher or make the trade to acquire one.  Two years in a row the pitching staff has blown up with injuries - what makes the chances better that it won't happen next year?  You never know which Beckett will be there from year to year, is the injury with Buch just a one time deal or is it the start of something chronical?  Lester seems to develop an arm issue at least once every year.  If none of this were true - this board wouldn't be filled with "do we or don't we bring back Wake" postings.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenapplesplatters. Show greenapplesplatters's posts

In Response to Two Large Free Agents in the Offseason: Should the Red Sox Bid?:
    by Jon O'Connor/bleacher report Both the Boston Red Sox and New York Yankees failed to reach their common goal in 2011, the World Championship.  Now that the rivals are both finished, both teams look to fill the gaps that cost them an early exit. The two teams have similar issues, one of the biggest being the pitching staff. The starting rotations for both teams were a let down throughout the year, and especially late in the season.  Red Sox fans know the struggles that haunted big John Lackey. There is not a lot of patience left in Red Sox Nation for Lackey, but it looks like the Sox are going try and work with John. With that being said, there is still a need for another starting pitcher.  The Sox do have Clay Buchholz and Dice-K coming back off of injuries, but we've seen Dice-K come back from an injury before and struggle. With Buchholz, he's a little bit more of a promising comeback prospect but there is still concern. Even if the Sox get lucky with one of those two coming back strong, there is still a need for one more solid, reliable starter. Will they go after the left-handed free agent from Texas, C.J. Wilson?  Wilson has established a strong reputation in Texas, although he is pitching in the weak AL-West. Wilson has been the number one man in the 2011 playoffs. The Rangers have a similar offense to that of the Red Sox in that they score a lot of runs. With run support not being an issue, Wilson could be a great guy to pair with Jon Lester and Josh Beckett. This would push John Lackey to the number four spot in the rotation, taking off some of the pressure, which could help in his "rebuilding." Another off-season free agent that could be sought is Grady Sizemore . The Indians will have until three days after the 2011 world series ends to decide if they are going to pick up the option on Sizemore's contract. Sizemore is coming off an injury that only allowed him 268 at-bats this season, but has been an All-Star in the past. With the right field position looking to be vacant at Fenway next season, a man with the speed of Sizemore could be a great fit in Boston. If the Indians decide not to pick up his option, let the bidding war begin!  These two players could make the off-season very interesting to watch as the large market teams could be throwing around some pretty big money to fix their problems. Not just Boston and New York, but look for the Philadelphia Phillies to be in the mix too, remember the Phillies had an early 2011 playoff exit as well. 
    Posted by 2004Idiots

First off, Dice-K will not be available until mid-August, late July at the earliest. And that's 'iffy.' Secondly, no Sizemore. Haven't we learned anything from Crapford?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

The notion of signing the left-handed hitting, extremely injury prone, "speedy" Sizemore is ludicrous. If it happens my hopes for even a third place finish in the ALE next year diminish even further. CJ Wilson would certainly be a nice pick up. If Lackey is on our staff next year, he will deliver more of the same, which is totally unacceptable and to count on DiceK returning next year is a bad pipe dream. Let DiceK go back to Japan with a one way ticket and a cancelled visa/and or passport.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from highflysox. Show highflysox's posts

Boston does NOT have Matsuzaka returning from injury, as his contract expired. I believe they need two starters. Obviously C.J. Wilson will be considered, but why would his team allow him to leave? I predict he stays where he is and gets a deserved raise. There are still trades that can be made for a pitcher who is not a free agent. Perhaps we'll trade for some pitching. Junichi Tazawa is an in-house possibility if he regains his pre-Tommy John surgery form. It has also been suggested that Aceves or Bard might be stretched into starters. Wakefield has to go. It would be nice to get something out of Lacky. If he is a clubhouse cancer, trade him. If his marriage issues sapped his focus maybe he can enjoy a resurgence. I believe that a right fielder will be brought in, since Reddick failed to produce in the second half of the season. But again, free agents make up only a portion of the available field of candidates.
    Posted by TheRedStain

Seems like you are new to mlb and the sox. Dice k is signed tru the 2012 season and is do 10 milllion in 2012.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

I think they should go after CJ Wilson for sure.  but, the market may prove very friendly to CJ, as there is a distinct lack of quality starters in this years free agent crop.  If they have to spend up to, say, Lackey/Burnett money, I am good with that.  More than that, no way.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from lhtak. Show lhtak's posts

No to Wilson and No to G. Sizemore. I hate to sign "MAY BE GOOD" players. I dont mind going after king-Felix all out. I do not mind going after CC all out. I would rather not sign anybody than signing players like wilson and sizemore. Beckett/Lester/Bucholz are not going to pitch entire season. So sign Bedard back for reasonable price, he will be ok 5th starter. Start Aceves and/or Bard, let Lackey be a spot pitcher until we get to trade him. Pujols is a free agent next year, sign him up instead. Save money for Felix/CC/Verlander type pitchers.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

Sizemore?  Yeah, the Red Sox need a overpriced, often injured, LH bat in the outfield now that Drew is gone. 

Get a grip people!!  Am I the only 1 who hopes the Red Sox stay away from high priced FA for at least the next 2-3 years?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

A certain Yankees pitcher will almost certainly be the "largest" free agent on the market.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts