Two Large Free Agents in the Offseason: Should the Red Sox Bid?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Re: Two Large Free Agents in the Offseason: Should the Red Sox Bid?

In Response to Re: Two Large Free Agents in the Offseason: Should the Red Sox Bid?:
    In Response to Re: Two Large Free Agents in the Offseason: Should the Red Sox Bid? : All due respect Space but your post is exactly what is wrong with the team (and most teams) - the mentality of having a go at the best quality starter available. Just because he may be the best available does not warrant offering him any deal whatsoever.
    Posted by BurritoT

Burrito- Fair enough.  but what I was alluding to in the section of my post you highlighted, was that Wilson's price tag might be elevated due to the lack of FA picthing market.  And i don't think they should throw the vault at him, in fact, the top-range number i suggested is indeed too high now that I reflect upon it.  BUT, I do not think CJ Wilson is just the "best available".  I think he is a really good pitcher, just now coming into his own, a high character guy and great competitor.  Very different from a John lackey who was the "best available".  I would like CJ Wilson because he still has upside and is a fierce competitor.  No, I don;t think they should just offer any contract to get him.  And, I would be happy if they signed Bedard if they can get him significantly cheaper.  But, bottom line is that they need a good starting pitcher.  And no one is coming down the farm pipeline for another year or two (I don't know, Doubront?  eh).  Sooo, its either scrap heap or pony up a little to get a CJ Wilson.  I understand what you are saying about spending willy-nilly to get starting pitching.  And i get the skepticism.  We've done John lackey already.  But, they have to do something ...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbrod. Show tbrod's posts

Sizemore is LEFT HANDED!
    He makes JD Drew look like Superman. It's been years since he's played a full season.
    Pujols, Cabrera, Holiday, Hart, Beltre, Cruz, and Braun. All RIGHT HANDED POWER HITTERS. Got it?  All leading their teams into the LCS.
    I'm so tired of the dopes who don't understand balance in baseball.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Two Large Free Agents in the Offseason: Should the Red Sox Bid?:
    by Jon O'Connor/bleacher report Both the Boston Red Sox and New York Yankees failed to reach their common goal in 2011, the World Championship.  Now that the rivals are both finished, both teams look to fill the gaps that cost them an early exit. The two teams have similar issues, one of the biggest being the pitching staff. The starting rotations for both teams were a let down throughout the year, and especially late in the season.  Red Sox fans know the struggles that haunted big John Lackey. There is not a lot of patience left in Red Sox Nation for Lackey, but it looks like the Sox are going try and work with John. With that being said, there is still a need for another starting pitcher.  The Sox do have Clay Buchholz and Dice-K coming back off of injuries, but we've seen Dice-K come back from an injury before and struggle. With Buchholz, he's a little bit more of a promising comeback prospect but there is still concern. Even if the Sox get lucky with one of those two coming back strong, there is still a need for one more solid, reliable starter. Will they go after the left-handed free agent from Texas, C.J. Wilson?  Wilson has established a strong reputation in Texas, although he is pitching in the weak AL-West. Wilson has been the number one man in the 2011 playoffs. The Rangers have a similar offense to that of the Red Sox in that they score a lot of runs. With run support not being an issue, Wilson could be a great guy to pair with Jon Lester and Josh Beckett. This would push John Lackey to the number four spot in the rotation, taking off some of the pressure, which could help in his "rebuilding." Another off-season free agent that could be sought is Grady Sizemore . The Indians will have until three days after the 2011 world series ends to decide if they are going to pick up the option on Sizemore's contract. Sizemore is coming off an injury that only allowed him 268 at-bats this season, but has been an All-Star in the past. With the right field position looking to be vacant at Fenway next season, a man with the speed of Sizemore could be a great fit in Boston. If the Indians decide not to pick up his option, let the bidding war begin!  These two players could make the off-season very interesting to watch as the large market teams could be throwing around some pretty big money to fix their problems. Not just Boston and New York, but look for the Philadelphia Phillies to be in the mix too, remember the Phillies had an early 2011 playoff exit as well. 
    Posted by 2004Idiots

The Red Sox priority after finding a manager and "who knows" even a GM will be pitching.
      No Grady Sizemore who has never had any plate discipline and is injury prone.  Probably a new RF or DH.  Guys like Fielder or Albert will be more expensive so we keep David or look for a cheaper option.  I would even consider a guy like Cuddyer as DH if not in RF.  Maybe even Lavarway, even if it takes him a couple years to put up big numbers. 

I would also love the Sox to make a run at Reyes but pitching is more important.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

I love all the CJ Wilson is a "professional" or a "high character guy" comments.   Great.  I'm pretty sure Theo used those exact words to introduce Mike Cameron, John Lackey and Carl Crawford. 

I know, I know, this time it will be different........

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from myaim45. Show myaim45's posts

I would take a chance on sizemore as long as the price tag is under 2 million. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

In Response to Re: Two Large Free Agents in the Offseason: Should the Red Sox Bid?:
    I would take a chance on sizemore as long as the price tag is under 2 million. 
    Posted by myaim45

Why?  So when Ells, Crawford, Reddick, or Kalish need a day off we have another LH bat to plug in.  The guy has played in 100 games the last 2 years a .220 average.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

Sign Sizemore and trade Ellsbury for pitching.  Ells is the only guy worthy of a significant return, and a healthy Sizemore is an adequate replacement.  If we can't fill two OF slots between Reddick, Kalish & Sizemore, this team still has more than enough offense to address the issue at the all-star break.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

In Response to Re: Two Large Free Agents in the Offseason: Should the Red Sox Bid? : Why?  So when Ells, Crawford, Reddick, or Kalish need a day off we have another LH bat to plug in.  The guy has played in 100 games the last 2 years a .220 average.
    Posted by Thesemenarecowards

The only issue is his health.  Somebody's going to take a chance on this guy, and he is either going to pay off big, or he's going to be injured.  He's not going to be completely healthy and hit .220 over the course of 162 games.  He's all or nothing, and we have viable plans B and C waiting in the wings.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbrod. Show tbrod's posts

DUMB!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Sign Sizemore and trade Ellsbury for pitching.  Ells is the only guy worthy of a significant return, and a healthy Sizemore is an adequate replacement.  If we can't fill two OF slots between Reddick, Kalish & Sizemore, this team still has more than enough offense to address the issue at the all-star break.
    Posted by slomag

slomag buddy, have you seen Sizemore's stats the past three years? 

... He hasn't stayed healthy
    ... Batted less than 250
    ... OBP is right at 300
    ... OPS 704

Injuries have taken there toll on Grady big time.  Grady is also another LHB who has never hit lefties well.  It would probably be like trading Drew for Drew.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In Response to Two Large Free Agents in the Offseason: Should the Red Sox Bid? : The Red Sox priority after finding a manager and "who knows" even a GM will be pitching.   No Grady Sizemore who has never had any plate discipline and is injury prone.  Probably a new RF or DH.  Guys like Fielder or Albert will be more expensive so we keep David or look for a cheaper option.  I would even consider a guy like Cuddyer as DH if not in RF.  Maybe even Lavarway, even if it takes him a couple years to put up big numbers.  I would also love the Sox to make a run at Reyes but pitching is more important.
    Posted by craze4sox

Craze,
    Starting Pitching: Goal is 1000 innings or 6 IP per start with sub 4 era...
    1 Lester     GS 34 IP 220 ERA 3.50
    2 Beckett   GS 33 IP 200 ERA 3.50
    3 Buccholz GS  33 IP 200 ERA 3.50
    4 Lackey   GS  30 IP 180 ERA 4.75 (best case)
    5 job opening
    6 spot starter/longman (see below organizational depth)

Organizational depth...
    Young guns...
    Doubront
    Ranuando
    Tazawa
    Weiland
    Britton
    On the bubble
    Miller
    Wake
    DL
    Matsusaka (projected to be ready to pitch in August of 2012...

So as it stands now we have a total of 130 of 162 starts covered and 800 of the projected 1000 innings between the top 4 guys That assuming none go to the DL and that Lackey retruns to his 2010 form? Leaving us with 33 starts and 200 innings or so needing to be filled one of the above or one of those on the list below or an arm that is aquired by trade. If this year was an indication of the depth needed then we must have at minimum 7 viable arms to navigate the entire year and have the bullets not to place undo duress on the pen when and if one of the horses needs a maintenance trip to the 15 day DL. So if I'm trolling for arms...and I need a couple of viable #5's I'd take a long look those highlighted in purple and would lokk to  sign one of those bolded in black as organizational depth...to me for my money Jackson and Kuroda would profile as guys that would be perfect fits on the back end of of our rotation...

2012 Free agent Starting Pitchers
    Mark Buehrle CWS
    Bruce Chen KC
    Aaron Cook COL *
    Kyle Davies TOR
    Ryan Dempster CHC *
    Justin Duchscherer OAK
    Zach Duke ARI *
    Jeff Francis KC
    Freddy Garcia NYY
    Jon Garland LAD
    Aaron Harang SD
    Rich Harden OAK
    Livan Hernandez WAS
    Edwin Jackson STL
    Kenshin Kawakami ATL
    Scott Kazmir LAA
    Hiroki Kuroda LAD
    Rodrigo Lopez CHC
    Paul Maholm PIT
    John Maine COL
    Jason Marquis WAS
    Kevin Millwood NYY
    Scott Olsen PIT *
    Roy Oswalt PHI *
    Brad Penny DET
    Oliver Perez NYM
    Joel Pineiro LAA
    CC Sabathia NYY (may opt out)
    Carlos Silva NYY
    Javier Vazquez FLA
    Adam Wainwright STL *
    Tim Wakefield BOS
    Chien-Ming Wang WAS
    Brandon Webb ARI
    C.J. Wilson TEX
    Chris Young NYM

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

In Response to Re: Two Large Free Agents in the Offseason: Should the Red Sox Bid? : slomag buddy, have you seen Sizemore's stats the past three years?  ... He hasn't stayed healthy ... Batted less than 250 ... OBP is right at 300 ... OPS 704 Injuries have taken there toll on Grady big time.  Grady is also another LHB who has never hit lefties well.  It would probably be like trading Drew for Drew.
    Posted by craze4sox

If Drew was 29, I'd sign him for $4M in a heart-beat.

Sizemore spent the better part of two years rehabbing from microfractures in his knees.  The re-hab is long and slow, but he's completed it on Cleveland's dime - why not take a chance that he can be the player he was before his injuries took hold?  It's a very low risk signing - if it doesn't work out, he doesn't play, and we stick wtih the Kalish / Reddick plan.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from proftom. Show proftom's posts

Sox need a clean slate. No major signing, bring the kids up from the farm and sign a couple of lower wage high injury prone pitcher. 

Lets Paps and Papi walk. Move Yuk to DH and alternate guys between SS and3rd. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Re: Two Large Free Agents in the Offseason: Should the Red Sox Bid? : If Drew was 29, I'd sign him for $4M in a heart-beat. Sizemore spent the better part of two years rehabbing from microfractures in his knees.  The re-hab is long and slow, but he's completed it on Cleveland's dime - why not take a chance that he can be the player he was before his injuries took hold?  It's a very low risk signing - if it doesn't work out, he doesn't play, and we stick wtih the Kalish / Reddick plan.  
    Posted by slomag

A low risk is fine slomag but we have bigger needs than to take on a guy who isn't as fast anymore, can't hit lefties and SO 50% of the time.  We already have two kids in Kalish and Reddick.  It would make more sense in my opinion anyway to go after Cuddyer or Beltran if the price is right.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

In Response to Re: Two Large Free Agents in the Offseason: Should the Red Sox Bid? : A low risk is fine slomag but we have bigger needs than to take on a guy who isn't as fast anymore, can't hit lefties and SO 50% of the time.  We already have two kids in Kalish and Reddick.  It would make more sense in my opinion anyway to go after Cuddyer or Beltran if the price is right.
    Posted by craze4sox

I see Lavarnway on the roster to start 2012 - as such, I don't think we need an everyday RH bat in the OF.  We do need to hold onto Aviles and maybe try Lowrie or Youk in LF when lefties start, but when it comes to starting the other 70% of games, a healthy Sizemore is far more valuable than Kuddyer or Beltran, and doesn't cost us any draft picks.  

I can forgive a high K-rate for a guy whose career OBP is 90 points higher than his average.  Also, Sizemore is not a Mark Reynolds type - he adjusts his approach to the situation.   With runners on 3rd and less than 2 out, his K-rate drops from 20% down to 13%.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Re: Two Large Free Agents in the Offseason: Should the Red Sox Bid? : I see Lavarnway on the roster to start 2012 - as such, I don't think we need an everyday RH bat in the OF.  We do need to hold onto Aviles and maybe try Lowrie or Youk in LF when lefties start, but when it comes to starting the other 70% of games, a healthy Sizemore is far more valuable than Kuddyer or Beltran, and doesn'tlways wated  cost us any draft picks.   I can forgive a high K-rate for a guy whose career OBP is 90 points higher than his average.  Also, Sizemore is not a Mark Reynolds type - he adjusts his approach to the situation.   With runners on 3rd and less than 2 out, his K-rate drops from 20% down to 13%.
    Posted by slomag

I can respect your thoughts mag.  Youk in the Of would be a horrible move but I always hoped we would at least try Lowrie in the OF.  Right now I feel Jed may be a guy without a position and possibly traded.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goofywocky. Show Goofywocky's posts

Not Dark Yet, but it is......
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZgBhyU4IvQ

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Re: Two Large Free Agents in the Offseason: Should the Red Sox Bid? : Craze, Starting Pitching: Goal is 1000 innings or 6 IP per start with sub 4 era... 1 Lester     GS 34 IP 220 ERA 3.50 2 Beckett   GS 33 IP 200 ERA 3.50 3 Buccholz GS  33 IP 200 ERA 3.50 4 Lackey   GS  30 IP 180 ERA 4.75 (best case) 5 job opening 6 spot starter/longman (see below organizational depth) Organizational depth... Young guns... Doubront Ranuando Tazawa Weiland Britton On the bubble Miller Wake DL Matsusaka (projected to be ready to pitch in August of 2012... So as it stands now we have a total of 130 of 162 starts covered and 800 of the projected 1000 innings between the top 4 guys That assuming none go to the DL and that Lackey retruns to his 2010 form? Leaving us with 33 starts and 200 innings or so needing to be filled one of the above or one of those on the list below or an arm that is aquired by trade. If this year was an indication of the depth needed then we must have at minimum 7 viable arms to navigate the entire year and have the bullets not to place undo duress on the pen when and if one of the horses needs a maintenance trip to the 15 day DL. So if I'm trolling for arms...and I need a couple of viable #5's I'd take a long look those highlighted in purple and would lokk to  sign one of those bolded in black as organizational depth...to me for my money Jackson and Kuroda would profile as guys that would be perfect fits on the back end of of our rotation... 2012 Free agent Starting Pitchers Mark Buehrle CWS Bruce Chen KC Aaron Cook COL * Kyle Davies TOR Ryan Dempster CHC * Justin Duchscherer OAK Zach Duke ARI * Jeff Francis KC Freddy Garcia NYY Jon Garland LAD Aaron Harang SD Rich Harden OAK Livan Hernandez WAS Edwin Jackson STL Kenshin Kawakami ATL Scott Kazmir LAA Hiroki Kuroda LAD Rodrigo Lopez CHC Paul Maholm PIT John Maine COL Jason Marquis WAS Kevin Millwood NYY Scott Olsen PIT * Roy Oswalt PHI * Brad Penny DET Oliver Perez NYM Joel Pineiro LAA CC Sabathia NYY (may opt out) Carlos Silva NYY Javier Vazquez FLA Adam Wainwright STL * Tim Wakefield BOS Chien-Ming Wang WAS Brandon Webb ARI C.J. Wilson TEX Chris Young NYM
    Posted by Beantowne

Bean, Jackson has always done pretty well holding his own so it could be a nice fit.  I think with Lackey and Wake we need to sign two starters either way and we should be in good shape.  RF?  I would love to see Cuddyer or Beltran platoon with Reddick or Kalish.  I also agree guys like Webb, Wilson and especially Wang would be an intriguing choice.

I still like Aceves at 5 would be great if we could land a middle relief guy like Madson.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_4419291. Show user_4419291's posts

I think we should get either Bobby Valentine or Tony Pena as manager as they have the best all around knowledge of any available possible managers. Then we should have Varitek retire, fire/let go of Curt Young, and allow Varitek to become the pitching manager. He's shown how solid he is when it comes to working with the pitchers and knows better than anyone else how to do that! Either sign Papi to a one-year deal or let him go too and grab up another DH....yes possibly Sizemore or even move Youkilis to DH and see about a 3B maybe David Wright? I think he's a free agent this year....Find a way to get rid of Lackey and his contract (if any team is willing to do that). Let Drew go, and stick Reddick as the starter in LF. He was fairly consistent given how he played this year and showed that he can definetly be an established player with a little more work. We got Bucholz and Dice-K coming back, we definetly need another starter and I agree with C.J. Wilson! He's the best probably on the free agent market....other than maybe C.C? Wasn't ESPN toying with the idea of a C.C. and Red Sox situation? Wouldn't be too bad having the Cy Young pitcher in Boston!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

In Response to Re: Two Large Free Agents in the Offseason: Should the Red Sox Bid? : I can respect your thoughts mag.  Youk in the Of would be a horrible move but I always hoped we would at least try Lowrie in the OF.  Right now I feel Jed may be a guy without a position and possibly traded.
    Posted by craze4sox

Given an off-season to prepare, I think Youk could handle the outfield.  At least we know he would do his best without complaint.  I'd be OK trading Lowrie, but he needs a full healthy season to get much in return.  The conundrum with the platoon RH OF is that he has to be good enough against lefties to displace Reddick / Kalish, but not good enough to expect to play every day - I think it's harder to find than it seems - you almost have to be a Lowrie / Varitek guy - a guy who thinks he's a switch-hitter, but would be better off hitting righties from the right side.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

Not Dark Yet, but it is...... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZgBhyU4IvQ
    Posted by Goofywocky

As long as we're referencing Dylan, I'd say this year can best be described.....

"Our existence led by confusion boats, mutiny from stern to bow"

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Re: Two Large Free Agents in the Offseason: Should the Red Sox Bid? : Given an off-season to prepare, I think Youk could handle the outfield.  At least we know he would do his best without complaint.  I'd be OK trading Lowrie, but he needs a full healthy season to get much in return.  The conundrum with the platoon RH OF is that he has to be good enough against lefties to displace Reddick / Kalish, but not good enough to expect to play every day - I think it's harder to find than it seems - you almost have to be a Lowrie / Varitek guy - a guy who thinks he's a switch-hitter, but would be better off hitting righties from the right side.
    Posted by slomag

Man pal, I still have to disagree on Youk Sorry.  I think Youk at first base or DH is the best thing for his career.  Tek has always been too stubborn in my opinion to realize he can only hit from one side of the plate.  Salty is still young and with a good hitting coach he trusts, could end up being a better SW than Tek. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

In Response to Re: Two Large Free Agents in the Offseason: Should the Red Sox Bid? : Man pal, I still have to disagree on Youk Sorry.  I think Youk at first base or DH is the best thing for his career.  Tek has always been too stubborn in my opinion to realize he can only hit from one side of the plate.  Salty is still young and with a good hitting coach he trusts, could end up being a better SW than Tek. 
    Posted by craze4sox

The strange thing about Salty is that he is a natural righty, yet significantly better as a left-handed hitter.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Re: Two Large Free Agents in the Offseason: Should the Red Sox Bid? : The strange thing about Salty is that he is a natural righty, yet significantly better as a left-handed hitter.
    Posted by slomag

Thats my worry with Salty mag.  He seems to be following Teks foot steps as a SW and why not?  Tek is his mentor.  Tek has never been a good SH.  Victor has and it should give both Tek and Salty a measuring stick to either learn from, or be stubborn and never learn anything.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbrod. Show tbrod's posts

Slomag should change his screenname to Slowman.
    Anyone who thinks this team doesn't need right handed hitting, knows squat about baseball Period. Youk in the outfield? Did this guy see him when he tried it?
    It was embarassing for the team and Youkilis.
    Only someone who has never played the game or is confined to video or fantasy games, thinks anyone can play anywhere.

Sections
Shortcuts