Two Large Free Agents in the Offseason: Should the Red Sox Bid?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

Re: Two Large Free Agents in the Offseason: Should the Red Sox Bid?

In Response to Two Large Free Agents in the Offseason: Should the Red Sox Bid?:
    by Jon O'Connor/bleacher report Both the Boston Red Sox and New York Yankees failed to reach their common goal in 2011, the World Championship.  Now that the rivals are both finished, both teams look to fill the gaps that cost them an early exit. The two teams have similar issues, one of the biggest being the pitching staff. The starting rotations for both teams were a let down throughout the year, and especially late in the season.  Red Sox fans know the struggles that haunted big John Lackey. There is not a lot of patience left in Red Sox Nation for Lackey, but it looks like the Sox are going try and work with John. With that being said, there is still a need for another starting pitcher.  The Sox do have Clay Buchholz and Dice-K coming back off of injuries, but we've seen Dice-K come back from an injury before and struggle. With Buchholz, he's a little bit more of a promising comeback prospect but there is still concern. Even if the Sox get lucky with one of those two coming back strong, there is still a need for one more solid, reliable starter. Will they go after the left-handed free agent from Texas, C.J. Wilson?  Wilson has established a strong reputation in Texas, although he is pitching in the weak AL-West. Wilson has been the number one man in the 2011 playoffs. The Rangers have a similar offense to that of the Red Sox in that they score a lot of runs. With run support not being an issue, Wilson could be a great guy to pair with Jon Lester and Josh Beckett. This would push John Lackey to the number four spot in the rotation, taking off some of the pressure, which could help in his "rebuilding." Another off-season free agent that could be sought is Grady Sizemore . The Indians will have until three days after the 2011 world series ends to decide if they are going to pick up the option on Sizemore's contract. Sizemore is coming off an injury that only allowed him 268 at-bats this season, but has been an All-Star in the past. With the right field position looking to be vacant at Fenway next season, a man with the speed of Sizemore could be a great fit in Boston. If the Indians decide not to pick up his option, let the bidding war begin!  These two players could make the off-season very interesting to watch as the large market teams could be throwing around some pretty big money to fix their problems. Not just Boston and New York, but look for the Philadelphia Phillies to be in the mix too, remember the Phillies had an early 2011 playoff exit as well. 
    Posted by 2004Idiots

Here we go again. So you want the sox to bid and if player has a bad year... Fire the manager and the GM. Have you been under a rock?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

Sizemore is not going to be a high-priced free agent - he'll be maybe $5M for a one-year deal, or a two-year deal with cheap club buyout.  Nobody's going to break the bank for him, but if he's healthy what's the downside?  That Kalish and Reddick get an extra year at AAA?  What's the upside?  A 5-tool guy with an OPS 90 points higher than his BA.  Sign me up!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In Response to Re: Two Large Free Agents in the Offseason: Should the Red Sox Bid?:
    Sizemore?  Yeah, the Red Sox need a overpriced, often injured, LH bat in the outfield now that Drew is gone.  Get a grip people!!  Am I the only 1 who hopes the Red Sox stay away from high priced FA for at least the next 2-3 years?
    Posted by Thesemenarecowards

If that is the overall policy probably yeah.  They do need to spend more on cheap FA for the bench, which they have been rather cheap on(Which Sizemore is). However If a CJ Wilson is a good fit you can't ignore him. They really need another top of the rotation, and his personality would be a huge change of pace from the rest of the rotation.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

True, let's have the forum demand that the Red Sox sign the "flavor of the day" in November and Dcember and rule them incompetent if they pass. Then rule the GM incompetent if i doesn't work out. Hindsight is always right and has 20-20 vision. An easy game to play for trolls.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1958lesspaul. Show 1958lesspaul's posts

For a couple million bucks and one year he is definitely worth the risk. Wilson is not a prima donna, he is soft spoken, unassuming, and doesn't even drink.

The Red Sox have zero need for Sizemore. Crawford, Ellsbury, Reddick, Kalish, just how many left footed Lennies do you want in Fenway Park. Sizemore is injury prone who offers nothing that current overstock of Lefty Lennies can't provide.

Whoever wrote this must think like InEpstein, who will hopefully become the Cubs' problem.

As for CJ Wilson, he is the classic performance FA prima donna who will be the talk of the town for about as long as Slackey. Only young superstar pitchers deserve massive multi-year FA contract offers. CJ Wilson will be a vlue bust, even if he has a few decent seasons out of 4 or 5 year contract.

I was opposed to Slackey contract offer, Bay offer, Jenks offer, Crawford offer, to name a few. I was in favor of trade and extension for AGon, and one year deal for Beltre in 2010. Despite big year for Beltre, happy for him as he has earned a good team and individual season. However, due to injury issues this year and his age, he was not a long term value fit for the Red Sox.

I was opposed to Jenks.

VMart should have be retained and fit well on a 4 year deal to majority split time catch and minority time DH for 2 years and DH majority and catch minority split time his final 2 years.

Those who bought the notion that Inepstein knows what he is doing belive Obama policy just needs more time to fix the economy.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Interesting - I feel the same way about Wilson. There is a tremendous list of pitchers who did nearly nothing after their big payday. Wilson was not even talked about a year ago and now posters want him simply because he has had two seasons of 15+ wins (15 and 16).

He is 30 already

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

The most important changes for the Red Sox for next season is to improve the entire pitching staff, starters and the bullpen.  That is more important than any position players that they could sign.  If Youkilis is injured again next season, he should be traded or maybe traded before the season begins.  Youkilis could also take Ortiz's place at DH  if Ortiz isn't resigned for next season.  The Red Sox need an outfielder to place right field.  Unless Kalish is Drew's replacement in right field. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigdog1. Show bigdog1's posts

I would save my money on all the above.  Let's get a new GM and manager and go from there.  I think we are going to see some signifcant changes.  These owner's do not like to look bad.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

GRADY SIZEMORE? YIKES! Did you check his medical bills over the last few years?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

In Response to Re: Two Large Free Agents in the Offseason: Should the Red Sox Bid?:
    Interesting - I feel the same way about Wilson. There is a tremendous list of pitchers who did nearly nothing after their big payday. Wilson was not even talked about a year ago and now posters want him simply because he has had two seasons of 15+ wins (15 and 16). He is 30 already
    Posted by BurritoT

Exactly.  This board is full of people who complain about all the bad contracts but then the same people want the Red Sox to go out and get next big thing.  Then when Wilson turns into Lackey they will call for Tito's or Theo's or Wilson's head.....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

In Response to Re: Two Large Free Agents in the Offseason: Should the Red Sox Bid? : If that is the overall policy probably yeah.  They do need to spend more on cheap FA for the bench, which they have been rather cheap on(Which Sizemore is). However If a CJ Wilson is a good fit you can't ignore him. They really need another top of the rotation, and his personality would be a huge change of pace from the rest of the rotation.
    Posted by BosoxJoe5

I disagree.  They do not need another buy high contract, on a 31 year old pitcher that will require at least a 5 year deal. 

The Red Sox have plently of LH OF options.  It makes no sense to go out and sign Sizemore when there are far more urgent area's to address.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

True. I don't pretend to look at Wilson beyond the fact he only put together two good years and is already 30. His team has made the play-offs those two years which means A) he helped to lead that charge and B) his teams offense is pretty darn good.

How does that equate into "lets get CJ Wilson"?  "Have to have CJ," and "Too bad C will end up in New York."

I looked at Lackey before he was signed and I did not like him, and looking at Wilson I do not see a big difference - hey maybe he will win 20 next year but he only won 15 and 16 on a Divison winning team.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

The notion of signing the left-handed hitting, extremely injury prone, "speedy" Sizemore is ludicrous. If it happens my hopes for even a third place finish in the ALE next year diminish even further. CJ Wilson would certainly be a nice pick up. If Lackey is on our staff next year, he will deliver more of the same, which is totally unacceptable and to count on DiceK returning next year is a bad pipe dream. Let DiceK go back to Japan with a one way ticket and a cancelled visa/and or passport.
    Posted by sindarin-erebor

Hey sin,
    maybe you should take the rest of the winter off...I'm getting concerned about your health...relax the Sox will be fine next year and once again be a co-favorite to win the division. Starters: Lester, Buccholz and Beckett...
    Pen: Bard, Aceves & Morales
    Everyday players: Pedrioa, Ells, Gonzalez & Crawford

that's a pretty strong nucleaus to build around...and trust me Henry and Luccino will both be motivated to turn things around quickly...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1958lesspaul. Show 1958lesspaul's posts

No, do not bid on FA'ts Timmy T-Ball and Varitek.   

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Sizemore would be a joke, almost as bad as Crawford on fit. Wilson will be an overpriced prima donna. Red Sox need new gm and management that understands how to manage and develop pitching. The Red Sox already have enough prima donna pitchers. They should sign two veteran pitchers to one year contracts with at least 180 IP over last 2 years and AL ERA under 4.75 and NL ERA under 4.00.
    Posted by 1958lesspaul

So you're saying a (probably relatively expensive) AL Central or West starter with an ERA of 4.74 is desirable, but a (definitely inexpensive) AL East starter with an ERA of 5.12 is an abomination that must be forced out?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

I think they should go after CJ Wilson for sure.  but, the market may prove very friendly to CJ, as there is a distinct lack of quality starters in this years free agent crop.  If they have to spend up to, say, Lackey/Burnett money, I am good with that.  More than that, no way.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus

All due respect Space but your post is exactly what is wrong with the team (and most teams) - the mentality of having a go at the best quality starter available. Just because he may be the best available does not warrant offering him any deal whatsoever.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1958lesspaul. Show 1958lesspaul's posts

Yes, forcing out a 45 year old T-Ball pitcher who is a FA is exactly what I am saying.

Timmy T-Ball is not under contract for 2012. Why on earth do you add a 45 year old T-Ball launcher. You do not!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

ummm no and no. wilson will be overpaid for sure given the weak free agency class. the sox need a front of the rotation starter without a doubt. but cj wilson is not the answer. we need someone who can flat out dominate and shut down the other team on any given night. we need someone we can turn to in big games. the guy we really need is felix hernadez. it remains to be seen if the mariners will make him available, but given the extremely weak free agent pitching class this year, it would be the perfect time to move him. another somewhat interesting option is cc sabathia. if he opts out which seems to be the likely secnario i dont think the sox should go after him. its tempting, but i would say stay away from cc. sabathia just turned 31 and givin his body type, he best days could very well behind him. we need someone young. not another 30 plus pitcher. As far as sizemore goes, no thanks. we dont need another injury prone player who has a similar skill set to our other 2 outfielders. i think kalish likely gets a shot. if the sox make a big move, it will be for a pitcher. the offense will be the pretty well the same next year except there will be no drew, and perhaps no scutaro. oritz could be on his way out too but i think he stays. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

I'd take Sizmore on two factors:

One we shed one of our other LHB.

Two we sign him for a low salary plus incentives, none of which can be achieved without at least 135 games started.

Kalish or Reddick can be the 4th OF if it works out and if not they can easily start.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

burrito i think ur idea would work, assuming we deal one of our other two outfielder. crawford i think we are stuck with, so it would have to be ellsbury. could a trade involving ellsbury for kemp work out? maybe. kemp is exactly what the sox need and as much as trading ellsbiry would sting, this would be one of the few cases where it would be worth it. our line up would be something like this:

crawford
    pedroia
    gonzalez
    kemp
    youk
    ortiz
    sizemore
    salty/lavarnway
    iglesias 

I gotta say i like it. If crawford struggles u could switch him and sizemore. we would have great outfield defence too. And in this scenario as i will follow suit and have either kalish or reddick as our 4th outfielder as insurance for sizemore. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

I am not pro-trading Youk but I could imagine a combo of say Reddick/Youk might make a nice enticing part of a big trade.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

To ad - Sizemore in 2011 made Drew look like an iron man, he was hurt for all sorts of things. He did however while healthy show he could still get lots of extra base hits. 

We get lucky and he plays in 135+ games, 35+ doubles, 20 homers, 80 ribies, etc., we get unlucky and maybe Kalish goes full time and Sizemore makes an okay back-up.

1) Elles
    2) Pedroia
    3) Sizemore
    4) AGon
    5) Ortiz or Youk (one is moved out of town)
    6)  ??
    7) Salty/? (CA)
    8) Furcal or Iglesias (SS)
    9) Crawford

The beauty is if even one stud goes down you can shorten the line-up and still have one of the best offenses in the majors. To repeat myself if we take on another LHB we must shed one...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

In Response to Re: Two Large Free Agents in the Offseason: Should the Red Sox Bid? : All due respect Space but your post is exactly what is wrong with the team (and most teams) - the mentality of having a go at the best quality starter available. Just because he may be the best available does not warrant offering him any deal whatsoever.
    Posted by BurritoT

While I'm not sure if that's what Spaceman was trying to say, I agree. We threw big contracts at Drew and Lackey because they happened to be the "best" on the market for their respective positions at the time, and look how that turned out. Have to be smarter than that.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

In Response to Re: Two Large Free Agents in the Offseason: Should the Red Sox Bid? : While I'm not sure if that's what Spaceman was trying to say, I agree. We threw big contracts at Drew and Lackey because they happened to be the "best" on the market for their respective positions at the time, and look how that turned out. Have to be smarter than that.
    Posted by Flapjack07

Taking the "best available" approach is a joke.  There is no rule that says the Red Sox must make at least 1 70+ million dollar signing per off-season.  Or maybe there is.

Signing a guy to a 5 year deal (Lackey) because he is the best guy available in 1 particular off-season makes no sense because here you are 2 years later, and that 15 million a year could be much better used on real needs. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

CJ Wilson - and he is a professional.

Grady if cheap, he will need bi-later knee replacement in 10 years.

Sections
Shortcuts