Two Large Free Agents in the Offseason: Should the Red Sox Bid?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Skadude22. Show Skadude22's posts

Re: Two Large Free Agents in the Offseason: Should the Red Sox Bid?

As much as I would have loved Sizemore a few years ago, his health is too big an issue for this team. You'd have to go into the season counting on him to be your starting RF, and have a backup plan that is good enough to play 100+ games so if Sizemore flames out, you don't get stuck with AAAA players in your everyday starting 9.  Even though his D isn't the greatest, I'd like to see Cuddyer be a target. He hits well and right handed, and he doesn't present as big an injury concern.

Dice-K will probably not pitch another game for Boston, and so the Sox need to acquire at least one starter, but probably 2, in the offseason. CJ Wilson is the top guy on the market, but I'd be happy with two solid #4-5 starters, because the depth of starting pitching really burned the sox this year.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

No, you count on the hope of him being your everyday RF. The minute he gets injured you have either Reddick or Kalish to start - both of who should be candidates for the starting job to begin with.

The right contract, incentive laden, is very worth-while if Sizemore wants to come here.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Skadude22. Show Skadude22's posts

I think coming into this season Kalish was slated to start 2012 in RF for the sox, but the injury set him back and he might need more time in minors before making the jump at some point later this season. I just don't have the confidence in Josh Reddick that you do. He's a quality 4th OF, but I don't want him to be the starting RF for any stretch of time.  For that reason, I'd rather invest in someone more durable to be my starting RF. It lessens the playing time for Reddick and allows you to better estimate production from that position. Sizemore, to me, is to big a question mark to be part of the starting nine you field going into spring training.  If the market for him just isn't there, and he'd be willing to accept a smaller role, I'd be all for bringing him in, but I wouldn't be able to just hand him the RF in the offseason, which is what he'd probably be looking for, a starting job.

I like Sizemore as a player, but I don't think he's a great fit for the Sox at this particular time.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

C.J. Wilson - 

An Ace caliber pitcher who can pitch over 200+ innings.....dear god, imagine the dividends that would pay towards the bullpen.

Make it look like we are seriously interested in CC Sabathia, drive up the price on the Yankees then BAM!!! we come out of left field and sign C.J. Wilson.

one can dream.....right???