Two scenerios to consider regarding the playoffs.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Two scenerios to consider regarding the playoffs.

Two possible scenerios that may lead to embarrassment in the playoffs:

A. Oakland, the cheapskate , moneyball poster team, wins the AL pennent with a crew of castoffs from the Red Sox.

B. Detroit, bolstered by Iglesias, who gives them a player at shortstop to fill the gaping hole left by the suspension of Peralta..goes on to win the AL pennent.

While the 2013 season has been a terrific , unexpected surprise, surely the media will be shoving it down our throats if either A. or B. happens.

We all know that a season is measured by playoff success, not by regular season success.

I am not trying to throw a wet towel on the season, but just be prepared that I warned you that a season is only as great as what you do in playoffs and the Red Sox have helped some teams along the way , moves that could come back to bite them. Josh Reddick who was cold most of the season has caught fire in Sept. , and Jed Lowrie has also benn consisitent in Sept. Could it be our old friends will be back to haunt us?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Re: Two scenerios to consider regarding the playoffs.

zillagod, you are easily forgiven because exactly that could happen.  But, even if it does, no rational person would argue Ben C has not done a terrific job with this team, as has his manager.  The A's have a better shot at embarassing us than Iglesias by himself because the A's are hot right now and Iglesias's hitting is off. 

I hated losing Iglesias, but it's hard to argue with that move while looking at the overall team improvement.  Not only a good starter in Peavy, but moving Iggy provided an opening for Middlebrooks and now Bogaerts too. 

As for Crisp, Ellsbury was just better and still is when he is healthy.  Lowrie left because the Sox weren't sure he could stay healthy.  And I would argue Reddick would never have done in Boston what he was able to do in Oakland.  Sometimes players need a new venue.  I don't mind giving credit to Billy Beane, but am happy with what Ben C has done and with these players. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ANONMD08. Show ANONMD08's posts

I'm happy this team has way exceeded expectations. An 85 win season would've been great since the fiasco of last year or maybe even going back to Sep 2011 when the Red Sox went 7-20 and didn't make the playoffs. I'm hoping they go to the WS but I would like to take one series at a time. all thes playoff teams will be tough and have great pitching.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

If Detroit wins the pennant, couldn't it be because they were bolstered by Miguel Cabrera and Max Scherzer?  Or does it have to be the guy hitting ninth?

They do have a likely MVP candidate, Cy Young candidate, and another guy leading the AL in ERA...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

zillagod, you are easily forgiven because exactly that could happen.  But, even if it does, no rational person would argue Ben C has not done a terrific job with this team, as has his manager.  The A's have a better shot at embarassing us than Iglesias by himself because the A's are hot right now and Iglesias's hitting is off. 

I hated losing Iglesias, but it's hard to argue with that move while looking at the overall team improvement.  Not only a good starter in Peavy, but moving Iggy provided an opening for Middlebrooks and now Bogaerts too. 

As for Crisp, Ellsbury was just better and still is when he is healthy.  Lowrie left because the Sox weren't sure he could stay healthy.  And I would argue Reddick would never have done in Boston what he was able to do in Oakland.  Sometimes players need a new venue.  I don't mind giving credit to Billy Beane, but am happy with what Ben C has done and with these players. 

Or even better.... the Sox beating the A's with a bunch of our castoffs or Peavy winning the pennant with a gem over the Tigers.....

That's what I'm hopng for at least!! HA!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Upon further review,  Detroit has 4 of the top 8 AL pitchers in WAR.  Let's not overlook that...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

It will be bitterly disappointing to lose to anyone in the playoffs...but I would hardly consider it "embarrassing" if it was at the hands of a team as good as Detroit or Oakland.

I am glad to see that Crisp, Lowrie, Moss, Iggy, et. al. are enjoying success in their new surroundings, but I don't think agonizing over every former Red Sox who is now on another team and doing well is the way to prepare for the postseason. We have a pretty good team ourselves this year.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

I wonder if the Rangers will be equally embarrassed if they watch the Sox win with Napoli, Uehara, Dempster and Saltalamacchia.

And Brandon Snyder...

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:

A. Oakland, the cheapskate , moneyball poster team, wins the AL pennent with a crew of castoffs from the Red Sox.

B. Detroit, bolstered by Iglesias, who gives them a player at shortstop to fill the gaping hole left by the suspension of Peralta..goes on to win the AL pennent.

While the 2013 season has been a terrific , unexpected surprise, surely the media will be shoving it down our throats if either A. or B. happens.

We all know that a season is measured by playoff success, not by regular season success.

I am not trying to throw a wet towel on the season, but just be prepared that I warned you that a season is only as great as what you do in playoffs and the Red Sox have helped some teams along the way , moves that could come back to bite them. Josh Reddick who was cold most of the season has caught fire in Sept. , and Jed Lowrie has also benn consisitent in Sept. Could it be our old friends will be back to haunt us?

Or possibly Peavy pitches a gem a decides series vs. Tigers or Shane V has a terrific series to help defeat A's. Neither of these players would be w/ RS if not for departure of Iggy/Reddick. RS have had an unbelievable year, but I'm not ready to call them the favorites [don't know why] just feel that any of about 4-5 teams could win it and would not surprise me, Dodgers/ Cards/Tigers/Reds [w/ Cueto back] and watch out for Nat's if they make it. But will not take away what RS have accomplished this year. Would love to see RS win it, but I wouldn't be my house on it, thats all. If tghey can stay on this roll their on for another few weeks anything is possible! 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

I would rather play the Tigers than the A's in the League playoffs. In last year's series the Tigers lead in most of the stats as this year too and Velander was supposed to be unbeatable. Giants win 4-0 !!!

I live in SF bay area & go to many Oakland games(Giants too) & that team reminds me of our 2004 Idiots. I know Ellsbury is better the Coco Crisp but I'm sure Coco could have played Left or Right field & we'd avoided JD Drew & C. Crawford and saved a hell of a lot of money. The guy I wish we had kept, a SF playoffs & series hero, was Marco Scutaro but we had a need at  3rd when Youk got hurt and we weren't sold on Middlebrooks but Scut didn't have the arm to play 3rd or even shortstop and Pedroia is only compared to Cano in terms of being the best so 2nd was not available. Speaking of guys I wish we kept & we may face the Rangers, is Beltre. OK, enough already and I believe we can beat anybody & I don't have the ERA stats but who has a better pitching rotation, the Rays perhaps but our offense is so much better.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to notin's comment:

If Detroit wins the pennant, couldn't it be because they were bolstered by Miguel Cabrera and Max Scherzer?  Or does it have to be the guy hitting ninth?

They do have a likely MVP candidate, Cy Young candidate, and another guy leading the AL in ERA...

You left out the ROY candidate.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Kind of a silly post, imho.  No team will ever be favored to win the WS.  The best team in BB has probably a 1-5 chance of winning the WS.  So are 29 other teams going to be embarrassed every year?  It's always disappointing to lose, but if Verlander beats us in the ALCS G7, it'll still be a good season.

If you're only going to be happy on seasons you win the WS, you'll be disappointed an awful lot.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Who you guys rather to have?  Drew at SS or Iggy or Lowrie at SS.  Or Victorino at RF or Reddick at RF?  or Ellsbury at CF or Crisp at CF?  or Nava at LF or Moss at LF?  But Moss moved to RF due Reddick is injured.  

I  think in overall, /boston just have better players than former players at these positions above.

Well, the good news is that if Boston get the home field advantage thru out the playoff, Tigers and A's would have to play against each other!!!

re

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSPCB73. Show RSPCB73's posts

Completely agree with you, GoUconn13. We have better players than the ones we traded or let go.

If Detroit prevails over Boston for AL pennant, it will not be because of the ninth hitter in the lineup; it will be because of Cabrera, Schertzer, Verlander, Fielder, et al.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytftwofive. Show jaytftwofive's posts

In response to manosome's comment:

It was actually 2006 when the Cards beat the Tigers but your point is right(White Sox won in 05) I never liked the wild card and the second wild card and one game playoff is the stupidest thing Bud Selig has done. It's rewarding medicority. Yes the Sox won in 04 as a wild card but they did win 98 games. Baseball was always about the regular season and who was best all year. Now it's become who is hot. EX. The Phillies won 102 games two years ago and clearly had the best team. But the Cardinals were hot and won that series in 5. The 05 Cardinals won 100 games but lost to a 89 win Astros team. I'm sure I could go on the past 10 or 15 years or so(Marlins twice)The team with the best record has only won three times the past ten years and I'm sure the team with the second best hasn't done as well. Make the wild card game two out of three, and make the lds 7 games like the LCS. Why should a better team lose to an inferior team with two pitchers who get hot. It seems like the casual baseball fan really likes this sytem because it's becoming like the other sports. Go Red Sox!

The playoffs are a crap shoot.  As has been proven many times, the best team doesn't always win the ring. The 2005 Cardinals won the WS while finishing a couple of games over .500 for the regular season. In other words, the team that gets hot at the right time will win the big prize. Right now Oakland and Boston have the most momentum going for them. Boston needs to keep that momentum right to the end of the regular season. I think they can do it.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to S5's comment:

I say this not to be insulting or cruel, S5.  But sometimes your reading comprehension strikes me as weak.   I write a post about how team FOs make decisions using more info than you or I have access to. You interpret it to be a " merits of speed and defense" argument.  I post there are actually good players on the Tigers besides Iglesias.   You come back with "don't forget Iglesias. "

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

Or, how about these scenarios?

1.  Drew, Victorino, and Ellsbury (if he's healthy enough) contribute more than the so called "castoffs" crew of Lowrie, Reddick, and Crisp.  I'll take my chances with the former.

2.  Peavy pitches well in the playoffs leading to Red Sox wins.  Peavy will likely have more of an effect on game results than Iglesias will or would have.  The scenario without Peavy: Dempster is part of the playoff rotation.  I don't know about you, but I'll take Peavy starting over Dempster.  Without Iglesias, the Red Sox still have Drew, Middlebrooks, and Bogearts.  Yes, maybe there's  a dropoff in defense, but the offense is at least the same if not better, and certainly much better in terms of power production.  

As others have mentioned, if either the A's or Tigers beat the Red Sox, it'll more likely have to do with pitching than Money Ball castoffs outperforming Red Sox mercenaries.  And, if you just want to root for Money Ball castoffs, the Red Sox have their share.  Consider Napoli, Carp, Nava, Breslow, and Uehara.  

You're right about one thing though.  The media will be shoving any result less than a World Series Championship down our throats.  But many folks here, including you, will be aiding and abetting them.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

Anything can happen in the playoffs.  This current Red Sox team has exceeded everyone's expectations and  they have gone from a last place team to first in just one season.  In recent memory another Boston team that did this was the Celtics and they ended up winning the championship that year.  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to S5's comment:

I say this not to be insulting or cruel, S5.  But sometimes your reading comprehension strikes me as weak.   I write a post about how team FOs make decisions using more info than you or I have access to. You interpret it to be a " merits of speed and defense" argument.  I post there are actually good players on the Tigers besides Iglesias.   You come back with "don't forget Iglesias. "

You were listing Tigers players who may be in line for individual honors and I felt there was one left out.  I'll admit to being a bit 'snarky' given our discusson on a previous thread, but it's also obvious that Iggy's name was left off your list.

My reading comprehension is good enough to recognize an insult when I see it, your weak disclaimer not withstanding.  I'll be sure to give your "concern" the weight I think it deserves. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

I am not trying to throw a wet towel on the season, but just be prepared that I warned you that a season is only as great as what you do in playoffs

Wrong.

The Sox lost the '75 WS to the Big Red Machine.

It was still one of the best seasons and post seasons I've ever seen.

If your enjoyment of the game is tied to WS wins, you've had a long, miserable experience as a Sox fan.

I love the smell of asphalt in the morning.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenwellforpresident. Show greenwellforpresident's posts

In response to djcbuffum's comment:

With the introduction of the second wild-card, I have finally decided that I "officially" don't care about the playoffs anymore. I was already leaning that way before, and now I'm pretty strongly of the position that the best team is the one with the best regular season record. I want to see the '13 Sox win 100 games. It'll be gravy if they win the WS, but that means less than that .617 winning percentage.

I'd like to see baseball do away with the playoffs altogether. In fact, if it were me, I'd do away with "games." Each team would play each other team for an equal number of innings through the season, and they'd be played nine innings per day. The team with the best run differential at the end of the season would be crowned the champs. 

I don't understand this point of view.  I think the second wild card is great.  It makes winning the division far more important than it was with one wildcard and keeps more teams in the  race making games more important right up to the end of the regular season

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

Exactly.  they were doing quite well before iggy got there. 

gosh this iggy fascination reminds me so much of the way that Metropolitans fans would wax about rey ordonez.....

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to greenwellforpresident's comment:

In response to djcbuffum's comment:

With the introduction of the second wild-card, I have finally decided that I "officially" don't care about the playoffs anymore. I was already leaning that way before, and now I'm pretty strongly of the position that the best team is the one with the best regular season record. I want to see the '13 Sox win 100 games. It'll be gravy if they win the WS, but that means less than that .617 winning percentage.

I'd like to see baseball do away with the playoffs altogether. In fact, if it were me, I'd do away with "games." Each team would play each other team for an equal number of innings through the season, and they'd be played nine innings per day. The team with the best run differential at the end of the season would be crowned the champs. 

I don't understand this point of view.  I think the second wild card is great.  It makes winning the division far more important than it was with one wildcard and keeps more teams in the  race making games more important right up to the end of the regular season

exactly greenwellforpresident

while I can understand some one not liking the WC

the 2nd WC is all good

#1 reason it restores the importance of winning the division

Sections
Shortcuts