Two things Ted Williams did, but did not "tell anyone"

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

Two things Ted Williams did, but did not "tell anyone"

It's been a long, long, time since I picked up TW's famous book on hitting, so I can't be certain he didn't at least mention these two key factors. If anyone remembers, please let me know,

1) As soon as spring traing got under way, Ted took batting practice (without a gkove) until the needed blisters came, broke, bled and healed. He did not, normally, use a glove during the season.

2) He got in the batting box and stayed there! His right foot would swing arond towards the pitcher between pitches, but his left foot stayed planted.

I have always been amazed that these two characteristics are never copied by today's players. NONE. Why not? I have no idea. I would think the theory, "if it was right for TW, why wouldn't it be right for me?" Don't want to get a few blisters? I wonder.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Re: Two things Ted Williams did, but did not

My Turn at Bat, remember reading how he hated to srikeout. He changed his approach with 2 strikes, even chocking up on the bat a little to get better control.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

In response to crazyworldoftroybrown's comment:
    [QUOTE]

My Turn at Bat, remember reading how he hated to srikeout. He changed his approach with 2 strikes, even chocking up on the bat a little to get better control.

[/QUOTE]

Yes, he did choke up a little with 2 strikes. However, it was very common then, and I would guess most players did. There were even a few mangers, at that time, who insisted that rookies (who hadn't yet proven anything) choke up an inch or so right from the first pitch. I can't recall who, but it sounds like somethinh Dick Williams might have done (and/or Rogers Hornsby)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

There wasn't a shortstop back in the day

who didn't choke up a lot....buddy harrelson was

practically holding the label. There was no thought

of them hitting Hrs so bat control was more important

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from youkillus. Show youkillus's posts

A significant change in approach from the modern era, to the present post modern era is the strikeout. Carl Yastzemski's career touch both eras, and his highest K total was 96, and that was in 1961 as a twenty-one year old.  By the time he was thirty, he never struck out more than 66 times.

Let that sink in for a moment, even with the higher mound, it was hard to strike guys out, because of their approach. Now, there were pitchers with a lot of strike outs, but they also pitched in a four man rotation. Striking out was just not acceptable, until about the time Reggie Jackson showed up.

In 1968, his first full season, Jackson struck out 171 times, for his career he hit over 100 more homers than Yaz but struck out nearly TWICE as much.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Great TW Bio by Leigh Montville. One of my favorite books.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to tomnev's comment:
    [QUOTE]

There wasn't a shortstop back in the day

who didn't choke up a lot....buddy harrelson was

practically holding the label. There was no thought

of them hitting Hrs so bat control was more important

[/QUOTE]

That even went into the 70's and '80s

Anyone remember Tim Foli?  He would walk up there at the beginning of that at bat with his hands around the barrel.  I used to wonder how he did not impale his stomach with the knob...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

And then there was Felix Millan, who went beyond "Choking Up" and straight into "Strangling the Barrel."

Felixmillan1976_display_image

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Great pulls, notin.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

Wait a second..... I thought a strikeout was not a bad thing!!??  So I guess Ted was wrong this whole time!!

Sections
Shortcuts