Two Things The Sox Should Do by July 31st

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Two Things The Sox Should Do by July 31st

Though the Sox are currently playing weell, they're pitching has to be a concern. Remember, it isn't about making the play-offs with the Red Sox, or even winning the division. It's about winning, once the Sox make it to the play-offs.

The Sox need to do two things by the trade deadline:

1.) Move Dustin Pedroia permanently to the clean-up spot. Doing so best balances the Sox line-up, with: CF Ellsbury, SS Scuturo, 1B Gonzalez, 2B Pedroia, DH Ortiz, 3B Youk, RF Riddick, C Salty/Tek, LF Crawford.  

2.) Trade for a quality starting pitcher. This is a must. The Sox can't depend on John Lackey...and Buchholtz's back makes him a huge question mark.  

Any thoughts...or other ideas on how the Sox can best improve themselves going into the stretch drive?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

Re: Two Things The Sox Should Do by July 31st

TexasPat3,

I would agree with your second point for sure. The sox more than anything need to add a quality pitcher. Your first point however i do not agree with. I can understand moving pedroia in the order but not moving scutaro up. He is one of the worst hitters on the team and he belongs at the bottom of the order. The guy I would move up is carl crawford. I would try this:

ellsbury
    crawford
    pedroia
    gonzalez
    youk
    ortiz
    reddick
    salty
    scutaro

I gotta say that looks pretty good and makes quite a bit of sense. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Not Scutaro up 2nd. 

We need high OBP guys up 1-2-3. 

We have 6 guys over .383 and you want Scutty?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

Why change a line-up that's working so well?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In Response to Re: Two Things The Sox Should Do by July 31st:
    [QUOTE]Why change a line-up that's working so well?
    Posted by kimsaysthis[/QUOTE]

That's whay I'm thinking.

The Sox have been crushing teams the past 2 1/2 months, and people want to fiddle with the lineup.

What am I missing?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]Why change a line-up that's working so well?
    Posted by kimsaysthis[/QUOTE]

My thoughts are that it's working so well against the Baltimores, Seattles, and Kansas Citys of the world. But, how will it work against quality lefties that they'll see in the play-offs...and against teams with deep bullpens? 

Dustin Pedroia is emerging as an MVP candidate. In some ways, he reminds me of Rico Petrocelli...in that he's got that Fenway swing. Meanwhile, Youk has a sore thumb, and is hitting just .280.

Scuturo is a contact hitter, who Tito can play hit and run with. He's now hitting .262, while the $20mil. dollar man, Carl Crawford, is hitting a robust .248. Hitting Crawford 9th would give the Sox back to back speedsters in he and Crawford...and it might serve to motivate him to start earning his grossly inflated salary.  

As for acquiring a pitcher...another guy the Sox should look into getting is ex-Rays Sox killer, Matt Garza...who now toils for the lowly Chicago Cubs.         

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]TexasPat3, I would agree with your second point for sure. The sox more than anything need to add a quality pitcher. Your first point however i do not agree with. I can understand moving pedroia in the order but not moving scutaro up. He is one of the worst hitters on the team and he belongs at the bottom of the order. The guy I would move up is carl crawford. I would try this: ellsbury crawford pedroia gonzalez youk ortiz reddick salty scutaro I gotta say that looks pretty good and makes quite a bit of sense. 
    Posted by redsoxpride34[/QUOTE]

Crawford is hitting just .248, and has a horrid OBP of .283. Meanwhile, Scuturo is a .262 contact hitter, with a .333 OBP...who hardly strikes out.

Another pitcher that the Sox should consider making a run at is former Ray, Matt Garza, who now toils for the lowly Cubs.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Two Things The Sox Should Do by July 31st : That's whay I'm thinking. The Sox have been crushing teams the past 2 1/2 months, and people want to fiddle with the lineup. What am I missing?
    Posted by royf19[/QUOTE]

pls tell me when you find out.

sox is ranked 1st in...
    runs
    ba
    obp
    slugging

yet...
    26th in quality starts
    17th in era

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from zack5042. Show zack5042's posts

If we move the line up at all it should look like this
    Ells
    Youk
    AGON
    Pedey
    Ortiz
    Reddick
    Salty
    Scut
    Craw
    like you said craw at 9 puts two speedsters, Youk used to bat 2nd back when we won it in 07, Reddick should obviously be hitting 6th so that would be how i put it

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Two Things The Sox Should Do by July 31st : That's whay I'm thinking. The Sox have been crushing teams the past 2 1/2 months, and people want to fiddle with the lineup. What am I missing?
    Posted by royf19[/QUOTE]

You're missing the "we can never be happy" factor, Roy. Even if the team is doing well, there has to be something to complain about. Go figure.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Two Things The Sox Should Do by July 31st :      My thoughts are that it's working so well against the Baltimores, Seattles, and Kansas Citys of the world. But, how will it work against quality lefties that they'll see in the play-offs...and against teams with deep bullpens?       Dustin Pedroia is emerging as an MVP candidate. In some ways, he reminds me of Rico Petrocelli...in that he's got that Fenway swing. Meanwhile, Youk has a sore thumb, and is hitting just .280.      Scuturo is a contact hitter, who Tito can play hit and run with. He's now hitting .262, while the $20mil. dollar man, Carl Crawford, is hitting a robust .248. Hitting Crawford 9th would give the Sox back to back speedsters in he and Crawford...and it might serve to motivate him to start earning his grossly inflated salary.        As for acquiring a pitcher...another guy the Sox should look into getting is ex-Rays Sox killer, Matt Garza...who now toils for the lowly Chicago Cubs.         
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]

Well, I have to say right up front, I'm not about salary or earning your salary. I don't care what anyone's salary is. I'm not paying it. If I were a manager I would put my best team out there regardless of salary. I don't understand why anyone would do anything different. And I mean that, I don't understand why it would matter to a manager, who's also not paying it.

I believe the bats on this team are unbelievable. I'm not really worried about any pitchers over a series. Can they have an off day? Sure. But that's one game, which, even in the playoffs doesn't really count for much.

As for Garza. I hope that never happens. I can't even watch that guy pitch when he's playing a few games against the Sox. His spitting is disgusting. Does he even know he's on television?  I can't imagine watching him every 5 games. And yes, I don't care how good he is, I think we'll be fine without him. If they decide to get another pitcher, fine. It doesn't have to be Garza.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

Keep the lineup as is.  Ellsbury's RBI's this season show (in part) that there are guys getting on base for him at the bottom of the lineup.  There' no reason to fix something that isn't broken.  Keep Pedroia in the 2 hole.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In Response to Two Things The Sox Should Do by July 31st:
    [QUOTE]     Though the Sox are currently playing weell, they're pitching has to be a concern. Remember, it isn't about making the play-offs with the Red Sox, or even winning the division. It's about winning, once the Sox make it to the play-offs.      The Sox need to do two things by the trade deadline: 1.) Move Dustin Pedroia permanently to the clean-up spot. Doing so best balances the Sox line-up, with: CF Ellsbury, SS Scuturo, 1B Gonzalez, 2B Pedroia, DH Ortiz, 3B Youk, RF Riddick, C Salty/Tek, LF Crawford.   2.) Trade for a quality starting pitcher. This is a must. The Sox can't depend on John Lackey...and Buchholtz's back makes him a huge question mark.        Any thoughts...or other ideas on how the Sox can best improve themselves going into the stretch drive?
    Need to get my eyes checked. Thought i saw Scuturo batting 2nd.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Most everyone agrees that, given travails of Matsuzaka, Miller, Weiland, Lackey, and, most importantly, Buchholz, another good starter would really help.  The problem is who and how.  I just don't see a good one the Sox can get without giving up too much.

Moving Scutaro up in the lineup is insanity when the big five--Ellsbury, Pedroia, AGon, Youk, and Ortiz--are healthy and functioning. 

Right now those five are about as good as it gets in MLB, not only this year but in recent years.  All five, for example, are in the top ten in the AL in OPS.  That is incredible and the reason why the Sox have easily the best offense in MLB and, more importantly, the second best record in MLB despite a so-so pitching staff. 

As for facing tough pitching staffs, I don't see moving Scutaro up to bat 2d as doing anything but hurting. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Two Things The Sox Should Do by July 31st:
    [QUOTE]     Though the Sox are currently playing weell, they're pitching has to be a concern. Remember, it isn't about making the play-offs with the Red Sox, or even winning the division. It's about winning, once the Sox make it to the play-offs.      The Sox need to do two things by the trade deadline: 1.) Move Dustin Pedroia permanently to the clean-up spot. Doing so best balances the Sox line-up, with: CF Ellsbury, SS Scuturo, 1B Gonzalez, 2B Pedroia, DH Ortiz, 3B Youk, RF Riddick, C Salty/Tek, LF Crawford.   2.) Trade for a quality starting pitcher. This is a must. The Sox can't depend on John Lackey...and Buchholtz's back makes him a huge question mark.        Any thoughts...or other ideas on how the Sox can best improve themselves going into the stretch drive?

OBP is important, we probablt have the best 1/5 hitters in the game right now so there is really no need to mess with the order until you get to the 6th, spot where Crawford "career wise" has done very well and should probably stay.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

TexasPat,  I have no trouble with the idea of looking for a better balance in the lineup.  Ever since adding Crawford this has been a healthy debate.

Here is my take.  One could argue that Youkilis should hit second over Scutaro (just have them trade places, Youkillis's talents are wasted at #6 in the lineup anyway).  Youkilis, despite hitting "just .280," has an OBP near .400.  And, according to fan graphs is a smarter (re: better) baserunner than Pedroia or Ellsbury (see the Brett Gardner thread).  You keep the R/L balance you were trying to create, but get the better OBP guy up ahead of Gonzalez and Pedroia and Big Papi.  I actually like the idea of Crawford batting ninth, btw.

As for another starter?  Harden, Bedard, Kuroda or Slowey, if any of the them can be had for a secondary prospect and say,  Navarro.  I am still hopeful Buchholz will be back and in good form.  Therefore, I am against raiding the farm for an Jimenez-type upgrade.  Just not neccessary, IMO.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Amazing.  The Sox have the best lineup in MLB, primarily because of Ellsbury, Pedroia, AGon, Youk, and Papi and because Francona bats them in that order, and you guys want to fix the lineup? 

1.  As previously stated, batting Scutaro 2d is insanity.  His OPS is 200 points lower than Pedroia or Ellsbury and he belongs in the bottom part of the order.

2.  Switching Youk and Pedroia also makes little sense.  Batting second and after Ellsbury, Pedroia has fewer rbi's than Ellsbury, who follows the bottom part of the order.  Youk is a good fit at cleanup with more rbi's than anyone on the Sox except Gonzalez, who leads MLB in rbi's. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

OK so the Sox have one of the best #2 hitters in baseball, so let's move him. Not to mention Youk at clean-up works too. UGH!

The line-up is fine just the way it is!

I agree I would welcome the addition of another starter to push Lackey back. Although I'm not sure if that is possible without paying too much!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

And you don't think that Pedroia would have the second most RBI in the lineup if he were hitting 4h?  RBI totals are always due in part to the position a player hits in the lineup.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

I heard Youk is not going to relinquish the clean up spot to Pedey...LOL...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

Could be another Manny v Youk thing in the dugout?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Another solid starter and a righthanded hitting outfielder, such as Francoeur. The bullpen seems to be okay. Tinkering with the batting order is alright but not a big deal.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

[QUOTE]And you don't think that Pedroia would have the second most RBI in the lineup if he were hitting 4h?  RBI totals are always due in part to the position a player hits in the lineup.
    Posted by parhunter1[/QUOTE]

If RBI totals are a function of the position in the lineup, why does Ellsbury have more than Pedroia? 

But my main argument is that you guys want to break something that is working just fine.  Too much fantasy baseball leaks into discussions about real players on real teams. 

Sections
Shortcuts