Tyler Beede turned down $2.5 million from Jays-Do you agree with his decision?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from fir.eballer58. Show fir.eballer58's posts

Tyler Beede turned down $2.5 million from Jays-Do you agree with his decision?

Or did he make a mistake? What happens if he gets injured? Can't he get his education later? Your thoughts?
    By Jim Wilson TELEGRAM & GAZETTE STAFF

Auburn's Tyler Beede turned down a $2.5 million signing bonus tonight from the Toronto Blue Jays, the team that picked the hard-throwing right-hander 21st overall in June's MLB draft.

The 6-foot-4, 200-pound Beede is now headed to Vanderbilt University with dreams of winning an NCAA title. He won't be eligible to re-enter the draft until 2014.

Beede said the Blue Jays called with their final offer at 11:55 p.m., but the former Lawrence Academy and Auburn High right-hander stuck to his original request of $3.5 million.

“I'm Vandy-bound,” Beede said. “I'm couldn't be more excited to play under some of the best coaches in the country. I'm not only going to get better as a player, but as a person.”

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

Re: Tyler Beede turned down $2.5 million from Jays-Do you agree with his decision?

In Response to Tyler Beede turned down $2.5 million from Jays-Do you agree with his decision?:
    [QUOTE]Or did he make a mistake? What happens if he gets injured? Can't he get his education later? Your thoughts? By Jim Wilson TELEGRAM & GAZETTE STAFF Auburn's Tyler Beede turned down a $2.5 million signing bonus tonight from the Toronto Blue Jays, the team that picked the hard-throwing right-hander 21st overall in June's MLB draft. The 6-foot-4, 200-pound Beede is now headed to Vanderbilt University with dreams of winning an NCAA title. He won't be eligible to re-enter the draft until 2014. Beede said the Blue Jays called with their final offer at 11:55 p.m., but the former Lawrence Academy and Auburn High right-hander stuck to his original request of $3.5 million. “I'm Vandy-bound,” Beede said. “I'm couldn't be more excited to play under some of the best coaches in the country. I'm not only going to get better as a player, but as a person.”
    Posted by fir.eballer58[/QUOTE]hey FB, kinda hard to judge without knowing if there were other circumstances leading to that decision, maybe promised the family he'd go to college..

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Re: Tyler Beede turned down $2.5 million from Jays-Do you agree with his decision?

He probably has insurance in case he gets some kind of injury.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Modano09. Show Modano09's posts

Well, you'd have to pay me a lot of money to sign up to be a Blue Jay to.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SOXrule38. Show SOXrule38's posts

My roommate from college is family friends with the Beede's as are most of his high school friends whom I was with last night and we were talking about this and we can't figure out why he did this, personally I believe he made a big mistake by not taking the $2.5M

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In Response to Re: Tyler Beede turned down $2.5 million from Jays-Do you agree with his decision?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Tyler Beede turned down $2.5 million from Jays-Do you agree with his decision? : hey FB, kinda hard to judge without knowing if there were other circumstances leading to that decision, maybe promised the family he'd go to college..
    Posted by jete02fan[/QUOTE]

Exactly, Jete.  After the "woo hooing" out the stretch limo's roof window, 2.5m over 10 years -after tax - even including the pitiful minor league salary is pretty sh*te relative to what a highly motivated person can earn over 10 years.

I'm not saying I wouldn't have taken that contract if offered, or even that I wouldn't advise my offspring to take it....but in our discouraging world of television-watching, non-reading, reality tv morons it's refreshing to see someone choose education and opportunity.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

A friend of mine has a close friend who scouted Beede for the Jays. He said they knew it would be atough sign when they drafted him, but think this kid is the "real deal". Makes me wonder: if he is the real deal, what's an extra $1M?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Modano09. Show Modano09's posts

In Response to Re: Tyler Beede turned down $2.5 million from Jays-Do you agree with his decision?:
    [QUOTE]A friend of mine has a close friend who scouted Beede for the Jays. He said they knew it would be atough sign when they drafted him, but think this kid is the "real deal". Makes me wonder: if he is the real deal, what's an extra $1M?
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

Agreed, $1 million in baseball is nothing, teams spend more than that in mistakes annually. I'm in Canada and have to listen to Jays fans complain constantly about the lack of salary cap. If they're Oakland, or Minnesota, they'd have a point. But they're a large market with one of the richer owners in the league, if they spent the money they were given in the past wisely they'd still have access to it now.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

n

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

It's a false choice to say that he either has to take the money and skip college or not take the money and attend college. If Beede really values an education, he can still go to school during the baseball off-seasons. It might take longer to graduate, but the minor league season ends in August, so he could still attend classes during the fall semester, and maybe take an online class or two during the spring semester. Signing a professional contract eliminates one's eligibility to participate in collegiate athletics, not collegiate education.

I don't know what kind of student Beede is, and whether he could attend a four-year university on academic merits alone, however there are so many colleges out there, I'm sure he'd get into something, regardless as to his athletic status. I think Beede likely made a purely financial decision that had nothing to do with college. He probably thinks he can secure a higher signing bonus in 2014. If he gets more money in a future draft, I bet he'll drop out of college in a nanosecond and not even bother to finish his degree. I can't think of too many professional athletes (Vince Carter and Shaquille O'Neal notwithstanding) who finish their educations after going pro.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

We don't know his family's situation. When you are born into money it can sometimes be a non issue. If he were drafted by the Sox he would have gotten the $3.5 mil. The kid does look for real.

I'd have taken the $2.5 mil in a heartbeat. With that kind of money you can put it all in stocks and probably average a 10% return for the next 50 years and just live of the $250,000 per year in earnings for the rest of his life, no matter what else he ever does. And have the prospect to earn a heck of a lot more, sooner. 

Can you imagine the chicks he is going to have chasing him in school though. He better buy a condom factory.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

Red Sox Report on NESN did a biography on Yaz the other night. Were you aware that his Dad insisted on $100,000 back then in 1960 and he was set on being a Yankee but they only offered him about $60,000 and Yaz's dad chased the Yankee scout out of the house. The rest is history. He got what he wanted from Tom Yawkey and it resulted in the miracle of 1967 and many memories from later years.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from crmn19. Show crmn19's posts

In Response to Tyler Beede turned down $2.5 million from Jays-Do you agree with his decision?:
    [QUOTE]Or did he make a mistake? What happens if he gets injured? Can't he get his education later? Your thoughts? By Jim Wilson TELEGRAM & GAZETTE STAFF Auburn's Tyler Beede turned down a $2.5 million signing bonus tonight from the Toronto Blue Jays, the team that picked the hard-throwing right-hander 21st overall in June's MLB draft. The 6-foot-4, 200-pound Beede is now headed to Vanderbilt University with dreams of winning an NCAA title. He won't be eligible to re-enter the draft until 2014. Beede said the Blue Jays called with their final offer at 11:55 p.m., but the former Lawrence Academy and Auburn High right-hander stuck to his original request of $3.5 million. “I'm Vandy-bound,” Beede said. “I'm couldn't be more excited to play under some of the best coaches in the country. I'm not only going to get better as a player, but as a person.”
    Posted by fir.eballer58[/QUOTE]

His life, his decision.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m