Ubaldo Jimenez

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Re: Ubaldo Jimenez

And, again, no to Matt Garza. His best numbers are against the Sox, which I think inflates what people think he really is around here. He's been historically terrible against the NYY, but beats up people like TOR and BAL. Take out his stats against Boston, heck, even WITH them, he's a below .500 pitcher for his career. I don't understand all the desire to land him.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Camelwalk. Show Camelwalk's posts

In Response to Re: Ubaldo Jimenez:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ubaldo Jimenez : While it is unwise to ever take a GM at his word about such things, to me, it makes no sense for the Rockies to trade Jimenez.
    Posted by RedSoxKimmi[/QUOTE]

They're something like 8 games out and aren't going any where.  If they can get a team to give them a good package it makes perfect sense for them.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Ubaldo Jimenez:
    [QUOTE]Trade rumors heating up that the Rockies might deal him.  It would be interesting to see if both Boston and the Yankees make a play for him. I have not seen much of him this year and I heard he lost some of his stuff. I just hope the Yankees don't panic and give up Betances or Banuelos for him.  It surely will be interesting to see where he lands.  I'm starting to think that Boston will win the division by a few games if the Yankees don't make a move for another quality pitcher. But there are no Lees out there this year and teams will be overpaying for medling talent.
    Posted by edi5386[/QUOTE]

I'm all for bringing in Jimenez.  He's only 27 and pitches in a hitters park yet his career ERA is solid both home and away.

Home 3.68
    Away 3.51

Could be a nice addition to our staff and I'm sure the Yankees also have their eye on him.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrh1194. Show jrh1194's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Ubaldo Jimenez : I'm all for bringing in Jimenez.  He's only 27 and pitches in a hitters park yet his career ERA is solid both home and away. Home 3.68 Away 3.51 Could be a nice addition to our staff and I'm sure the Yankees also have their eye on him.
    Posted by craze4sox[/QUOTE]

I agree. Jiminez would be a nice addition to our staff. I am sure that he could put up better numbers than Lackey.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ubaldo Jimenez : I agree. Jiminez would be a nice addition to our staff. I am sure that he could put up better numbers than Lackey.
    Posted by jrh1194[/QUOTE]

Definately, Theo should be all over this guy if he becomes available.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from gr82bme. Show gr82bme's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ubaldo Jimenez : And that's why your drivelous "analysis" is uneccessary. I don't need someone to tell me what "might" or "might not" happen, based on the opinions of others. I rely on the truth, straight from me.
    Posted by bettersoftthanlaw[/QUOTE]

Softie:  nice to see you're still as arrogant as ever.....and equally misguided.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kbair. Show kbair's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Ubaldo Jimenez : I'm all for bringing in Jimenez.  He's only 27 and pitches in a hitters park yet his career ERA is solid both home and away. Home 3.68 Away 3.51 Could be a nice addition to our staff and I'm sure the Yankees also have their eye on him.
    Posted by craze4sox[/QUOTE]

i love this point. way to check out the splits.
    don't let his 'down' year fool you. his k/9 is 1/100th off his average at 8.08, his bb/9 is at a career low 3.51, and his babip is 16 points higher than his average.
    he would be the second best pitcher (based on stats) on either the yankees or the red sox.
    that said, it will take more in terms of prospects than either team has, based on the length of his contract and his performance. the rockies are a good team and can make the post season this year and in years to come. no way they trade their best pitcher for prospects-- it would take major league ready talent.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from aquachuck. Show aquachuck's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ubaldo Jimenez : Yup....and the Yanks weren't going to go after Damon or Tex. 
    Posted by The--Babe--[/QUOTE]

Thank God they went after Tex.  I like Adrian at 1B.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from The--Babe--. Show The--Babe--'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ubaldo Jimenez : Thank God they went after Tex.  I like Adrian at 1B.  
    Posted by aquachuck[/QUOTE]

adrian was a great pick up for the sawx.....and Tex has worked out pretty well for the Yanks. I'd like to see him get his average up, but he has been an RBI machine for us since he's been in Pinstripes.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ubaldo Jimenez : Recent rankings suggest that the Yankees have more high-end prospects: http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/prospects/2011/07/midseason-top-50-prospects-list/ Keith Law's midseason rankings had the Yankees' Manny Banuelos at No. 18, Jesus Montero at No. 21 and Dellin Betances at No. 34 while lone Red Sox representative was Will Middlebrook at No. 42 (Middlebrooks was unranked in the Baseball America  listing). Last July three months of Cliff Lee* cost the Texas Rangers a Baseball America No. 13 preseason prospect in Justin Smoak, plus a former first-round pick in Blake Bleavan (who has posted two quality starts in his MLB debut this month), hard-throwing reliever Josh Lueke and infielder Matt Lawson (who was later traded for effective lefty reliever Aaron Laffey). Ubaldo Jimenez may well command a bigger return because the Colorado righthander remains under his team's control through 2013 for about $11 million total or through 2014 for about $19 million. * the Mariners included reliever Mark Lowe in the Cliff Lee deal
    Posted by hill55[/QUOTE]

You have to wonder how a "developing prospect" like Banuelos can add a run to his ERA and .3 to his WHIP but still jump 30 points in the BA rankings.

FWIW, Scouting Book has 5 prospects in its top 100, and only 3 Yankees.

The more important point when it comes to trading for help is that most Yankee players on the current roster are either overpaid or paid enough to freeze out small market clubs.  Other than Gardner and Hughes (who probably doesn't have much trade value anyway right now), the only players they could trade are on the farm.  The Sox have many cost-controlled players to choose from if they wanted to make a big splash.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from The--Babe--. Show The--Babe--'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ubaldo Jimenez : You have to wonder how a "developing prospect" like Banuelos can add a run to his ERA and .3 to his WHIP but still jump 30 points in the BA rankings. FWIW, Scouting Book has 5 prospects in its top 100, and only 3 Yankees. The more important point when it comes to trading for help is that most Yankee players on the current roster are either overpaid or paid enough to freeze out small market clubs.  Other than Gardner and Hughes (who probably doesn't have much trade value anyway right now), the only players they could trade are on the farm.  The Sox have many cost-controlled players to choose from if they wanted to make a big splash.  
    Posted by slomag[/QUOTE]

Again you are letting your sawx colored glasses get in the way.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Question...If Montero is a good as advertised (defensive ability aside). Why would the Yank's trade him with Russel Martin and Cervelli currently manning the position? Neither of whom are the catcher of the future...

Montero's bat is what is the most projectable of his skills and his current ranking is based almost soley on that.  The question about his abiltiy to be an every day catcher at the big league level is the only "knock"...if he's not an everyday catcher, than his overall value suffers becuase he's not currently being developed to play another position.  While he's still only 21 he's shown some improvement behind the plate, according to reports I've read, his body type is such that he lacks the agility to be an above average defender. The positive is he's playing in AAA well above the norm for his age and while he's not exactly killin AAA pitching he's competing at a high level...In over 800 PA in two years at AAA, he's hit 28 homers, batted .289 with a .828 OPS.

In the end regardless of the tint of your glasses. The Yanks do have have some nice pieces in thier system and historically they've used those "chips" to add proven vet's (Jackson for Granderson) to bolster thier big league club. Montero represents the best chip they have...the question is do they value him more as a the catcher of the future or just another prospect they rather trade than take a chance on him developing at the bifg league level...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from The--Babe--. Show The--Babe--'s posts

[QUOTE]Question...If Montero is a good as advertised (defensive ability aside). Why would the Yank's trade him with Russel Martin and Cervelli currently manning the position? Neither of whom are the catcher of the future... Montero's bat is what is the most projectable of his skills and his current ranking is based almost soley on that.  The question about his abiltiy to be an every day catcher at the big league level is the only "knock"...if he's not an everyday catcher, than his overall value suffers becuase he's not currently being developed to play another position.  While he's still only  21 he's shown some improvement behind the plate, according to reports I've read, his body type is such that he lacks the agility to be an above average defender. The positive is he's playing in AAA well above the norm for his age and while he's not exactly killin AAA pitching he's competing at a high level...In over 800 PA in two years at AAA, he's hit 28 homers, batted .289 with a .828 OPS. In the end regardless of the tint of your glasses. The Yanks do have have some nice pieces in thier system and historically they've used those "chips" to add proven vet's (Jackson for Granderson) to bolster thier big league club. Montero represents the best chip they have...the question is do they value him more as a the catcher of the future or just another prospect they rather trade than take a chance on him developing at the bifg league level...
    Posted by Beantowne[/QUOTE]

I think they see either Romine or Sanchez as the catchers of the future and Montero will probably end up as a 1B or DH for another team.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

Other than Gardner and Hughes (who probably doesn't have much trade value anyway right now), the only players they could trade are on the farm. The Sox have many cost-controlled players to choose from if they wanted to make a big splash.

Posted by slomag

of course the yanks can always pull a john henry

you know

shout out that the sox won't pay for player to play on another team

and they start doing it

and doing it

and doing it

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

[QUOTE]Other than Gardner and Hughes (who probably doesn't have much trade value anyway right now), the only players they could trade are on the farm. The Sox have many cost-controlled players to choose from if they wanted to make a big splash.   Posted by slomag of course the yanks can always pull a john henry you know shout out that the sox won't pay for player to play on another team and they start doing it and doing it and doing it
    Posted by pinstripezac32[/QUOTE]

That's usually a DFA situation.  It's not a scenario that helps your ball-club, other than addition by subtraction.  The Yanks could take on bad contracts, like Zambrano or Santana (and pray he can contribute before the end of the year).  Or they can try for a Felix Hernandez, and offer their best package, plus taking Chone Figgins off the M's hands to sweeten the deal.  It helps to have money, but it may not be enough this year.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from The--Babe--. Show The--Babe--'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ubaldo Jimenez : That's usually a DFA situation.  It's not a scenario that helps your ball-club, other than addition by subtraction.  The Yanks could take on bad contracts, like Zambrano or Santana (and pray he can contribute before the end of the year).  Or they can try for a Felix Hernandez, and offer their best package, plus taking Chone Figgins off the M's hands to sweeten the deal.  It helps to have money, but it may not be enough this year.
    Posted by slomag[/QUOTE]

It also helps to have a highly rated farm system, but you can't see that because of your sawx colored glasses.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ubaldo Jimenez : It also helps to have a highly rated farm system, but you can't see that because of your sawx colored glasses.
    Posted by The--Babe--[/QUOTE]

Why does it help to have a highly rated farm system?  You're not going to get an impact arm because you have a high concentration of B-B+ prospects.  You need to have the guys that teams salivate over.  Propose a deal that lands you Jimenez, and tell me if it includes Slade Heathcott.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from The--Babe--. Show The--Babe--'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ubaldo Jimenez : Why does it help to have a highly rated farm system?  You're not going to get an impact arm because you have a high concentration of B-B+ prospects.  You need to have the guys that teams salivate over.  Propose a deal that lands you Jimenez, and tell me if it includes Slade Heathcott.
    Posted by slomag[/QUOTE]

It doesn't matter what I propose because of your bias. Bottom line is it's what other teams think of the Yanks prospects, not what slomag in an internet chat room thinks of them.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ubaldo Jimenez : Why does it help to have a highly rated farm system?  You're not going to get an impact arm because you have a high concentration of B-B+ prospects.  You need to have the guys that teams salivate over.  Propose a deal that lands you Jimenez, and tell me if it includes Slade Heathcott.
    Posted by slomag[/QUOTE]

I think whenever your proposing a deal it's not always what one team can offer as much as it's what the organizational needs of the sellers are. Trading a talant like Jimenez, who when he's right has top 10 in the game stuff and is still just entering his prime, in one that teams like the Rockies would be sily to do if they don't get projectable impact prospects in return. That fill out the organization depth chart too.

That said, the Yanks best "chip is Montero" however the Rockies have a young catcher in Wilin Roserio, who's the same age as Montero, who's currently playing AA and putting up similar offensive numbers. In the end do the yanks have the chips to pull off this deal I think so...but it won't come without giving up more than Montero...

Here's a good read on the topic it touches on Wilin's projectablity and the probabilities of whether the two teams match up...
    http://www.yankeeanalysts.com/2011/07/do-the-yanks-match-up-with-the-rockies-for-jiminez-32062

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from edi5386. Show edi5386's posts

[QUOTE]Other than Gardner and Hughes (who probably doesn't have much trade value anyway right now), the only players they could trade are on the farm. The Sox have many cost-controlled players to choose from if they wanted to make a big splash.   Posted by slomag of course the yanks can always pull a john henry you know shout out that the sox won't pay for player to play on another team and they start doing it and doing it and doing it
    Posted by pinstripezac32[/QUOTE

Buster Olney wrote something today on ESPN about the possible trade.  He mentioned Ivan Nova as possible trade chip.  I do think the Yankees have the pieces to pull off the trade but Olney stated he doesn't know the level of Yankees interest. I couldn't read the whole article because I'm not a paid subscriber.   He stated that the Rockies would want a boat load of prospects in exchange.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Posted by slomag[/QUOTE]

Here are the top 10 prospects from the Scouting Book Prospect Matrix

SBBABPSNMLESSITeamPos'nPlayer

111-327WASOFBryce Harper  
    222-111LAAOFMike Trout  www.scoutingbook.com/gifs/indix/up.gif" alt="" />
    355-1062ATLRHPJulio Teheran  
    4812-853KC1BEric Hosmer  
    569-2145TBRHPJeremy Hellickson  
    697-72318KC3BMike Moustakas  
    733-944NYYCJesus Montero  
    81720-174321ATL1BFreddie Freeman  
    91624-132112SEARHPMichael Pineda  
    101225-579SEAOFDustin Ackley  

Notice that Montero is #7, and ranked as high as #3 on some surveys. (There are no RS ranked here)
    He is salivation material.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ubaldo Jimenez : Colorado scouts may have an opinion of a Red Sox prospect that is higher -- or lower -- than those expressed by Keith Law or the Baseball America panel. The Colorado scouts may think Will Middlebrooks' prospects pale in comparison to those of Rockie thirdbase prospect Nolan Arenado. They make think Ryan Lavarnway's prospects pale in comparison to those of Rockie catching prospect Wilin Rosario. Neither you nor I know.
    Posted by hill55[/QUOTE]

Lavarnway is not even ranked in the top 479 of the Scouting Book Matrix, (which is updated usually weekly) actually, I'm guessing this is some kind of mistake.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

greetings edi5386

Buster Olney wrote something today on ESPN about the possible trade. He mentioned Ivan Nova as possible trade chip.

I do think the Yankees have the pieces to pull off the trade but Olney stated he doesn't know the level of Yankees interest. I couldn't read the whole article because I'm not a paid subscriber.

no question they have the pieces

but everything else is a question

how much it will take ?

how much are the yanks willing 2 give up ?

and who can we believe in the next 2 weeks ;-)

He stated that the Rockies would want a boat load of prospects in exchange.

I think I saw something about a herschel walker type deal ;-)

SI.com's Jon Heyman reports that the Rockies would be interested in Yankees prospect Jesus Montero in a potential Ubaldo Jimenez deal.
    He would be the obvious piece to go to Colorado should the Rockies swing a deal with the Yankees. Heyman also adds that the Yankees aren't willing to deal Manny Banuelos, Dellin Betances or Ivan Nova. We understand their hesitancy to trade Banuelos or Betances, but there's no reason Nova should be anything close to untouchable

He stated that the Rockies would want a boat load of prospects in exchange.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]greetings edi5386 Buster Olney wrote something today on ESPN about the possible trade. He mentioned Ivan Nova as possible trade chip.  I do think the Yankees have the pieces to pull off the trade but Olney stated he doesn't know the level of Yankees interest. I couldn't read the whole article because I'm not a paid subscriber .    no question they have the pieces but everything else is a question how much it will take ? how much the yanks will give up ? and who can we believe in the next 2 weeks ;-) He stated that the Rockies would want a boat load of prospects in exchange. I think I saw something about a herschel walker type deal ;-) SI.com's Jon Heyman reports that the Rockies would be interested in Yankees prospect Jesus Montero in a potential Ubaldo Jimenez deal. He would be the obvious piece to go to Colorado should the Rockies swing a deal with the Yankees. Heyman also adds that the Yankees aren't willing to deal Manny Banuelos, Dellin Betances or Ivan Nova. We understand their hesitancy to trade Banuelos or Betances, but there's no reason Nova should be anything close to untouchable  He stated that the Rockies would want a boat load of prospects in exchange.
    Posted by pinstripezac32[/QUOTE]

The Yankees shouldn't do it. Nova's on a roll.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ubaldo Jimenez : i love this point. way to check out the splits. don't let his 'down' year fool you. his k/9 is 1/100th off his average at 8.08, his bb/9 is at a career low 3.51, and his babip is 16 points higher than his average. he would be the second best pitcher (based on stats) on either the yankees or the red sox. that said, it will take more in terms of prospects than either team has, based on the length of his contract and his performance. the rockies are a good team and can make the post season this year and in years to come. no way they trade their best pitcher for prospects-- it would take major league ready talent.
    Posted by kbair[/QUOTE]

kbair,

I'm not sure what it would take to pull off Jimenez trade.  I have seen so many strange trades in my lifetime anything is possible.  It may take two pitchers to snag one good starter from the Rockies along with prospects. 

I would start with names like ....
      Miller, Lowrie 2B, Renaudo or Barnes and Kalish, then make adjustments as needed.  The Rockies have a lot of needs I'm sure we could grab him with the right bait.