Ubaldo Jimenez

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxlaxer12. Show redsoxlaxer12's posts

Ubaldo Jimenez

The Top three suitors of Jimenez are the Yankees, the Red Sox, and the Reds.

The Reds Have named two untouchables in a possible deal: Devin Mesoraco
    and Billy Hamilton. The Reds are the least likely of the three as they have switched there interest from Jimenez to James Shields. 

The Yankees are believed to be the frontrunners on Ubaldo. They have named prospect Manuel Banuelos off limits but would be willing to trade other top ranked prospects. It’s thought that some combination of Jesus Montero, Austin Romine, Dellin Betances, Ivan Nova or Phil Hughes could convince the Rockies to make a deal. The Yankees FO are leaving this up to Cashman and do not seem to be forcing his hand. 

Talks between the Red sox and Rockies have been brief and not gone as in depth. They have not named any off limits players But you could assume they would be Lavernway, Reddick, and Ranaudo. A deal with the sox would be Pieced around Kyle Weiland and would include a major hitting prospect. The Yankees being so interested in a deal could push the Sox to make the bigger push. 

Ranger, Tigers, and Blue Jays are out on trade talks

Rockies Management is very clear on what they want from teams and have made it clear that they do not NEED to make a trade. Chances of a trade seem to have risen from 50/50 to about 65/35

Yankees still a bit concerned on mechanics, drop in velocity, and how he would fit into a large market AL team. Red Sox and Rangers have mirrored those concerns

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsox0426. Show redsox0426's posts

Re: Ubaldo Jimenez

I could easily see Bryce Brentz being the power prospect the Sox include. He is currently the 6th best prospect in the Sox organization, according to Sox Prospects, but Keith Law has him as the second best Red Sox prospect.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxlaxer12. Show redsoxlaxer12's posts

Indians now throw their hat in the ring. Reds more on the outskirts of talks

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from siestafiesta. Show siestafiesta's posts

"They have not named any off limits players But you could assume they would be Lavernway, Reddick, and Ranaudo. A deal with the sox would be Pieced around Kyle Weiland and would include a major hitting prospect. "

I'm not sure the Sox have "a major hitting prospect" other than maybe Lavarnway
    and I think many here are overestimating his value.  If other teams' scouts don't think he can catch, he would have a diminished value to an AL team and almost no value to a NL team.

Brentz is having a nice rebound yr but you can't get too excited yet by a college guy still in A Ball

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

In Response to Re: Ubaldo Jimenez:
    [QUOTE]"They have not named any off limits players But you could assume they would be Lavernway, Reddick, and Ranaudo. A deal with the sox would be Pieced around Kyle Weiland and would include a major hitting prospect. " I'm not sure the Sox have "a major hitting prospect" other than maybe Lavarnway and I think many here are overestimating his value.  If other teams' scouts don't think he can catch, he would have a diminished value to an AL team and almost no value to a NL team . Brentz is having a nice rebound yr but you can't get too excited yet by a college guy still in A Ball
    Posted by siestafiesta[/QUOTE]

I disagree with calling it a rebound year, although I understand why you're calling it that.  2 months is too small a sample IMO to consider it a bad season, especially when his OPS was over 1.000 prior to joining the Sox organization.

He's in A ball because this is his first full pro season.  He's in high A ball and knocking on the door to AA, I don't see anything wrong with that.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

i really hope the sox get him. the news on buchholz today and another poor start by miller yesterday are even more reason to get him. You will not go far in baseball with only 2 effective pitchers out of 5. lakcey, wakefield, and miller on not going to lead you to a world series.A 1-3 of beckett, lester, ubaldo will.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

If the Yankees get him : Many here will diss him
    If the RS get him :  Many here will whoop it up, declare victory, and praise him
    Otherwise : Many here will stop discussing him

I personally hope the Yankees pass.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

i am hearing that the package the rockies are requesting from the sox for ubaldo will be centered around kyle weiland and felix doubront. The rockies are also asking for an infield prospect and a hitting prospect. The infield prospect could be yamaico navarro and the hitting prospect could be a catcher or outfielder. I think the sox have a good shot at landing him. The reds appear to be more interested in james shields from tampa and i think the rox would much rather trade ubaldo to an american league team. I just dont see the yankees giving up the prospects required in order to land him. Cashman knows that they need those young players to replace guys like posada, garcia, colon, rivera, etc. They have an old team and a high payroll. They will need the young guys to replace those old guys especially the pitchers the rox are asking for( banuelos and betances). The sox on the other hand have beckett, lester, buchholz, who are all pretty young, and lackey signed long term. They have a pretty young team especially with drew(35 almost 36), tek,(39), scutaro (35)and wake(44) coming off the books at seasons and mike cameron already getting the boot. Therefore the sox can afford to deal guys like weiland and doubront as well as some hitting prospects. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Let me get this straight; the Yankees old guys going need to be replaced, but the RS old guys going shall shed payroll? Got it.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

nhsteven,

what i am saying is that the yankees need their prospects to fill holes and replace old guys. The sox on the other hand have less holes and have young guys already stepping in to replace the old guys like salty to replace tek, lowrie/iglesias to replace scutaro, reddick to replace drew. The sox held off on making deals for guys like johan santana because they knew they would need their prospects to replace aging players and fill holes. The yankees are in the same situation right now. Ultimately what i am saying is that the sox roster is much more settled going forward and if they dealt guys like weiland and doubront etc for jimenez they would be dealing from a position of strength. The have 4 starters signed long term 3 of which are not very old. The majority of the offense is signed long term as well. If the sox deal 2 pitchers for jimenez they will be fine because they will be set for the future, the yankees on the other hand have guys like colon and garcia who are at the end of their careers who will need to be replaced. Trading 2 pitchers for ubaldo who could be front of the rotation guys does not make sense for them. Just like trading buchholz and lester for santana did not make sense for the sox at the time. I see the yankees getting someone like hiroki kuroda who would cost them much less. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]nhsteven, what i am saying is that the yankees need their prospects to fill holes and replace old guys. The sox on the other hand have less holes and have young guys already stepping in to replace the old guys like salty to replace tek, lowrie/iglesias to replace scutaro, reddick to replace drew. The sox held off on making deals for guys like johan santana because they knew they would need their prospects to replace aging players and fill holes. The yankees are in the same situation right now. Ultimately what i am saying is that the sox roster is much more settled going forward and if they dealt guys like weiland and doubront etc for jimenez they would be dealing from a position of strength. The have 4 starters signed long term 3 of which are not very old. The majority of the offense is signed long term as well. If the sox deal 2 pitchers for jimenez they will be fine because they will be set for the future, the yankees on the other hand have guys like colon and garcia who are at the end of their careers who will need to be replaced. Trading 2 pitchers for ubaldo who could be front of the rotation guys does not make sense for them. Just like trading buchholz and lester for santana did not make sense for the sox at the time. I see the yankees getting someone like hiroki kuroda who would cost them much less. 
    Posted by redsoxpride34[/QUOTE]

A reasonable explanation; but it can be argued other ways. No matter; your opinion is viable.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxlaxer12. Show redsoxlaxer12's posts

[QUOTE]If the Yankees get him : Many here will diss him If the RS get him :  Many here will whoop it up, declare victory, and praise him Otherwise : Many here will stop discussing him I personally hope the Yankees pass.
    Posted by nhsteven[/QUOTE]
    So is Life. So is a rivalry. 

I personally would love to get this guy, but wouldnt be bummed if we didnt. And I would hate for the yankees to get him, but wouldnt lose all hope or really care if they did.

The yankees do have the better chance to get him because they have the more touted top prospects, but that also means they have more to lose in a trade. And i dont know if cashman wants to lose the guys the Rox are asking for.

IMO the ranking on what happens to Ubaldo is this

1. The yankees Trade for him and take a hit

2.The yankees tell them to go scratch and they do nothing

3The yankees tell them to go scratch so trhe "settle" for a lesser stacked sox package.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from rickerd2. Show rickerd2's posts

[QUOTE]I could easily see Bryce Brentz being the power prospect the Sox include. He is currently the 6th best prospect in the Sox organization, according to Sox Prospects, but Keith Law has him as the second best Red Sox prospect.
    Posted by redsox0426[/QUOTE]

Brentz is a righty, and plays RF.  Problem solved!!!!!   Laughing

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ubaldo Jimenez : Brentz is a righty, and plays RF.  Problem solved!!!!!   
    Posted by rickerd2[/QUOTE]

So all we need to do now is wait until 2015!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from rickerd2. Show rickerd2's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ubaldo Jimenez : So all we need to do now is wait until 2015!!
    Posted by notin[/QUOTE]

Well, I am a patient person.  Isn't everyone else that roots for the Sox?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

If the reports are parsed through correctly the NYY have the advantage of being able to trade Nova in their package because the Rox want a guy ready to step into their rotation now and Nova's resume in that regard is stronger than Weiland's or Doubront's. And I think the RS may or may not be more concerned about not cannibalizing the farm system to get a possible but not sure hyper jump in the 2011 season.

Personally I think Middlebrook and not Lavarnway would be the stick they Rox want. 3B with power potential is in super short supply in baseball, at every level. And that is why the RS would be hard pressed to get a guy with big pros and big red flags.

But Lavarnway is hard for them to sell out on so soon too IMO. The scouting report says the catching skills are raw but the stick has been solid at every level and the lack of adjustment he has needed at AAA is reminiscent of Ellsbury's AA to AAA jump. Now the super quick start will have a period where he cools off but the signs are the guy can hit at any level as he grows. Unless you get a Josh Beckett in return that is trade that will bug you for years. A plus-plus hitting catcher allows you to carry a mostly defensive player elsewhere in your starting line-up.

Succession wise these two guys really do set the RS up if they pan out. Not sure Ubaldo is as sure a thing as Josh Beckett was in the fall of 2006.

The deadline market is so thin that I am just not sure the RS can do much about the uncertainty surrounding their pitching. Considering the focus and payroll commitment the RS have been willing to put into this side of their team building, it just goes to show how fragile pitching is and why trading pitching prospects with any promise is so painful for those doing it and always the first target for those receiving.

Just my take

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]If the reports are parsed through correctly the NYY have the advantage of being able to trade Nova in their package because the Rox want a guy ready to step into their rotation now and Nova's resume in that regard is stronger than Weiland's or Doubront's. And I think the RS may or may not be more concerned about not cannibalizing the farm system to get a possible but not sure hyper jump in the 2011 season. Personally I think Middlebrook and not Lavarnway would be the stick they Rox want. 3B with power potential is in super short supply in baseball, at every level. And that is why the RS would be hard pressed to get a guy with big pros and big red flags. But Lavarnway is hard for them to sell out on so soon too IMO. The scouting report says the catching skills are raw but the stick has been solid at every level and the lack of adjustment he has needed at AAA is reminiscent of Ellsbury's AA to AAA jump. Now the super quick start will have a period where he cools off but the signs are the guy can hit at any level as he grows. Unless you get a Josh Beckett in return that is trade that will bug you for years. A plus-plus hitting catcher allows you to carry a mostly defensive player elsewhere in your starting line-up. Succession wise these two guys really do set the RS up if they pan out. Not sure Ubaldo is as sure a thing as Josh Beckett was in the fall of 2006. The deadline market is so thin that I am just not sure the RS can do much about the uncertainty surrounding their pitching. Considering the focus and payroll commitment the RS have been willing to put into this side of their team building, it just goes to show how fragile pitching is and why trading pitching prospects with any promise is so painful for those doing it and always the first target for those receiving. Just my take  
    Posted by fivekatz[/QUOTE]

On the MARK.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimedfred. Show jimedfred's posts

I'm sold on Jiminez's value. I really wish I was party to medical info. on Buchholz.

IF Buch unable to return effectively in 2011, then I say Doubront, Weiland, Miller ( not sure he CAN be traded ?), Lars A., Navarro, and ONE of Ranaudo/Fife/Wilson/Alcantara plus Kalish or Middlebrooks or Brentz should get it done. And from Rockies' standpoint, might not be enough ML-ready meat.

Very high cost; but IMO worth it IF need to replace Buchholz for season. I believe Jiminez could be an ace away from Coors Canaveral.You don't get quality starting pitching for dog meat.
    This is still probably a pipe dream. Probably end up with Haren or Bedard.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]I'm sold on Jiminez's value. I really wish I was party to medical info. on Buchholz. IF Buch unable to return effectively in 2011, then I say Doubront, Weiland, Miller ( not sure he CAN be traded ?), Lars A., Navarro, and ONE of Ranaudo/Fife/Wilson/Alcantara plus Kalish or Middlebrooks or Brentz should get it done. And from Rockies' standpoint, might not be enough ML-ready meat. Very high cost; but IMO worth it IF need to replace Buchholz for season. I believe Jiminez could be an ace away from Coors Canaveral.You don't get quality starting pitching for dog meat. This is still probably a pipe dream. Probably end up with Haren or Bedard.
    Posted by jimedfred[/QUOTE]

I don't remember the last time 6 guys were traded for 1 player; and a few of these I doubt the Rox want.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimedfred. Show jimedfred's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ubaldo Jimenez : I don't remember the last time 6 guys were traded for 1 player; and a few of these I doubt the Rox want.
    You may be right, though this was actually seven as proposed. Von Hayes became known as Mr. Five for One after going to Philly.
    I was trying to make up for the shortage of ready to play in ML NOW talent by adding quantity, remembering the 40 man roster and upcoming Rule 5 eligibilties.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxlaxer12. Show redsoxlaxer12's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ubaldo Jimenez : I don't remember the last time 6 guys were traded for 1 player; and a few of these I doubt the Rox want.
    I said the same thing. thats a S ton of guys

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The Reds Have named two untouchables in a possible deal: Devin Mesoraco
    and Billy Hamilton. The Reds are the least likely of the three as they have switched there interest from Jimenez to James Shields. 

I know TB would probably never want to trade Shields to Boston, but I'd give up more for him than Jimenez.

Weiland, Doubront, Kalish, and Iglesias.

Shields: 11:$4.25M, 12:$7M club option ($2M buyout), 13:$9M club option ($1.5M buyout),14:$12M club option ($1M buyout)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

ya i think the reds are out of the ubaldo sweepstakes.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

Even before his name thrown around in rumors, Ubaldo Jiminez is VERY overrated.  I can see disaster written all over him if he's traded to the AL East.

Sections
Shortcuts