Uehara shocking?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from sjddaj. Show sjddaj's posts

Uehara shocking?

Granted, he been absolutely awesome, dominating, etc.  Better than I thought he would be.

But, shocked as much as everyone else seems to be?  Not really.  Just look at least years numbers in a hitter friendly Texas park:  ERA 1.75, WHIP .6389, 43 K's to 3 BB's.  These are gaudy numbers.  His previous year to that in Baltimore (another hitter friendly park) shows similar dominance.

Yes he has even over exceeded what I had expected.  But, I was expecting big/gaudy numbers from him to begin with.  No reason not to.  So not really totally surprised (better than what I thought though) with him this year as many seem to be.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Re: Uehara shocking?

At first glance I thought this thread was called "Uehara chocking?". LOL......... Dont even think about it.......

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Well, even the Red Sox front office and coaching staff has to be a bit surprised. This guy was "closer by default."

It took two players ( Hanrahan and Bailey) to be injured for Uehara to be inserted in the closer role.

He was targeted for a set-up role , if I recall correctly.

But how about Holland of KC? ...Here's a guy with 97 Ks and only 15 BBS.... a terrific ratio. ...1.27 ERA, 44 saves in 64 IP ...ONLY 3 BS!!!

Here's a guy who is really "lights out" , but where Uehara really stacks up well against the best closers in the game is not his 21 saves which is paltry it's his 99 Ks to only 9 BBs!!! an astounding ratios that blows everyone else away....even the great Mariano!

"Advertising is the rattling of a stick inside a swill bucket."- George Orwell

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:

Well, even the Red Sox front office and coaching staff has to be a bit surprised. This guy was "closer by default."

It took two players ( Hanrahan and Bailey) to be injured for Uehara to be inserted in the closer role.

He was targeted for a set-up role , if I recall correctly.

But how about Holland of KC? ...Here's a guy with 97 Ks and only 15 BBS.... a terrific ratio. ...1.27 ERA, 44 saves in 64 IP ...ONLY 3 BS!!!

Here's a guy who is really "lights out" , but where Uehara really stacks up well against the best closers in the game is not his 21 saves which is paltry it's his 99 Ks to only 9 BBs!!! an astounding ratios that blows everyone else away....even the great Mariano!

"Advertising is the rattling of a stick inside a swill bucket."- George Orwell

Like your sig line. Orwell was a sharp man.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

What is interesting is that everyone - Baltimore, Texas, pundits, myself - just accepted as gospel that Uehara was a completely dominant relief pitcher BUT couldn't handle a heavy workload given his age/wear and tear.  Texas took it to an extreme, only trotted him out for like 30 innings.  I am glad that notion was debunked by necessity.  Uehara's quality is certainly not shocking.  But his durability certainly is, if only because it has never been tested stateside.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to RedSoxFireman's comment:

I applauded the Uehara contract. I denounced the Hanrahan contract acquisition.

His work record was clearly quite good. His ball flight has the nasty late downward trajectory. Seems like he never hangs/floats anything. The vote of confidence as the closer role seemed to take him to an even higher level.

By far, the best contract pick-up for 2013, among several bad ones.

Total agreement on the best contract pick-up.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In response to RedSoxFireman's comment:

I applauded the Uehara contract. I denounced the Hanrahan contract acquisition.

His work record was clearly quite good. His ball flight has the nasty late downward trajectory. Seems like he never hangs/floats anything. The vote of confidence as the closer role seemed to take him to an even higher level.

By far, the best contract pick-up for 2013, among several bad ones.

Pathetic attempt to accentuate something you may or may not have been right about.  Given your shameless history of lying, I don't believe any of your claims, even though some might be true.  Your record for prediction this season is horrible even by your own shoddy standards.  

If you had a conscience, a completely alien concept to you,  you would be wearing a virtual bag over your head.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

I admit..I was surprised..pleasantly. Not shocked though..but surprised.  Another example of why this team is so special...and that's as far I am going to go because I am too superstitious to speculate further.

"It is not down in any map...trueplaces never are...." ( Melville)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

Uehara has enthusiasm on his side. Who's more excited than he is to get out there and shut them down? And his enthusiasm has spread to the team and fans as well. All good all around.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

Uehara is way cool.  He is the most efficient closer I've ever seen in a Red Sox uniform and he seems to have a great relationship with both his teammates and the fans.  How could you not love this guy?