Uehara

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

Uehara

Three saves and a win! The ALCS MVP---Who would have predicted this for him last spring? I guess Schwzer will win the Cy Young but if I had a vote I'd give it to Koji. And I'd tear up his contract and double his 2014 salary.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Re: Uehara

In response to trouts' comment:

Three saves and a win! The ALCS MVP---Who would have predicted this for him last spring? I guess Schwzer will win the Cy Young but if I had a vote I'd give it to Koji. And I'd tear up his contract and double his 2014 salary.

He'll get a 2014 Loaded Toyota Tundra!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49thparallel. Show 49thparallel's posts

His numbers since June have been Rivera-like. The boxscore today showed he threw zero balls last night.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from blingblang. Show blingblang's posts

In response to 49thparallel's comment:

His numbers since June have been Rivera-like. The boxscore today showed he threw zero balls last night.

His splitters are also Rivera-esque.  They just disappear into the ground as it enters the zone.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

The late movement on his pitches is simply fantastic. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to 49thparallel's comment:

Since June he's been even better than Rivera.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Until the recent HR, he had not let up an HR since June 30th.

He hasn't walked anyone since, I think, August 2nd.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

2nd half 2013:

Uehara   ERA 0.28/  WHIP 0.313

(Opponents against: .087/.095/.136/.231)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

2nd half 2013:

Uehara   ERA 0.28/  WHIP 0.313

(Opponents against: .087/.095/.136/.231)

The common thing to say is that it is Mariano like, but it isnt because I dont think Mariano ever had a 2nd half that good. I am not sure any closer ever has.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Koji's 2013 WHIP of .565 is better than Rivera's best season of .665.  Kimbrel's best is .654, last year.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

The alltime record for single season WHIP was Pedro's .737 in 2000.  Not sure if you can find the record for relievers.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I checked fangraphs since 1974:

1) 2013 Uehara 0.57

2) 1989 Eckersley 0.61

3) 1990 Eckersley 0.61

4) 2012 Kimbrel 0.65

5) 2008 Rivera  0.67

11) 2011 Uehara 0.72

14) 2007 Papelbon 0.77

22) 1991 Jeff Gray 0.79

Since 1914:

Nothing changes except...

29) 1966 Hoyt Wilhelm 0.82

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

This is not a fluke by Uehara. He's had a super low WHIP for 3 years.

This guy is for real.

These numbers show the dominace:

2011-2013 WHIP

Uehara 0.64

Kimbrel 0.87

Romo  0.89

Jansen 0.91

Motte  0.94

Clippard 0.94

Rivera  0.97

Janssen 0.98

Avilan 0.98

Doolittle 1.01

#29 Jake McGee 1.10

The differential between #1 Uehara and #2 Kimbrel is the same as the differential between #2 Kimbrel abd #29 McGee.

Uehara is leeps and bounds ahead of the pack.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

So what you're saying is that Uehara has had the best single season for any reliever ever?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

the guy just flat out throws strikes and gets it done...i like/respect that he also goes about the business of getting people out very Rivera-like...no throat slashes or fist pump screams..or wanna be archers :-)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

i love how happy he is after the final out is made.  pure joy.  like he is a rookie.  so great to see.  and he does it innocently...not trying to show up the other team (as jetes pointed out)....

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

So what you're saying is that Uehara has had the best single season for any reliever ever?

In terms of WHIP, yes.

But also, his 3 year run averages out to be better than Mariano ever had for even just one season!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:

i love how happy he is after the final out is made.  pure joy.  like he is a rookie.  so great to see.  and he does it innocently...not trying to show up the other team (as jetes pointed out)....

Yeah, and his hugs with teammates have moved me to tears a couple times.  Especially when Papi picks him up and chucks him over his back.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

So, a person like myself would ask the question that no one else dares to ask:

What the hell were they thinking???, why wasn't this guy put in as the closer from day 1?

These front office people, scouts and coaches all have access to all this info plus pages of other stuff we don't have.

What were they thinking with Hanrahan and Bailey ahead of him on the depth chart?

Only thing I can think is that Hanrahan bribed somebody with chicken and beer...does John Henry or Larry Lucchino like chicken and beer?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:

Yeah, and his hugs with teammates have moved me to tears a couple times.  Especially when Papi picks him up and chucks him over his back.

Spaceman, there is no crying in baseball.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:

Spaceman, there is no crying in baseball.

Yell

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

What the hell were they thinking???, why wasn't this guy put in as the closer from day 1?

These front office people, scouts and coaches all have access to all this info plus pages of other stuff we don't have.

What were they thinking with Hanrahan and Bailey ahead of him on the depth chart?

Only thing I can think is that Hanrahan bribed somebody with chicken and beer...does John Henry or Larry Lucchino like chicken and beer?

Zill, the conventional "wisdom" followed by Baltimore and Texas before this year, was that uehara, given his age and amount of wear and tear, was awesome but couldn;t handle the closer load and needed to be carefully babied in order to keep him from breaking down.

The Sox showed the same approach until necessity dictated that they throw that caution to the wind.  

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus's comment:

Zill, the conventional "wisdom" followed by Baltimore and Texas before this year, was that uehara, given his age and amount of wear and tear, was awesome but couldn;t handle the closer load and needed to be carefully babied in order to keep him from breaking down.

The Sox showed the same approach until necessity dictated that they throw that caution to the wind.  

Space, you are correct and that demonstrates a major flaw in how teams judge pitcher workloads....they will tell you Koji can't pitch back to back days, or heaven forbid 3 days in a row, because they are viewing him in the context of all other pitchers and his age, but when a guy is getting a 3 out ninth inning save by throwing 11, 12 pitches, most of which are less stressful because no one is one base and he is ahead in the count, it is alot different than another closer getting the same 3 outs but throwing double or triple the pitches....for Koji it is almost like he was warming up in the BP!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to tomnev's comment:

In response to SpacemanEephus's comment:

Space, you are correct and that demonstrates a major flaw in how teams judge pitcher workloads....they will tell you Koji can't pitch back to back days, or heaven forbid 3 days in a row, because they are viewing him in the context of all other pitchers and his age, but when a guy is getting a 3 out ninth inning save by throwing 11, 12 pitches, most of which are less stressful because no one is one base and he is ahead in the count, it is alot different than another closer getting the same 3 outs but throwing double or triple the pitches....for Koji it is almost like he was warming up in the BP!

No doubt.  Uehara turned out to be the exception the usage rule that was created especially for him.

Sections
Shortcuts