Uh... What Bias?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Marioguy424. Show Marioguy424's posts

Uh... What Bias?

Everyone on here has been calling Buck and McCarver biased. It's so widespread, it's basically an established belief on the forums, and no one has challenged it. I, however, have been watching the games, and they really don't seem all that biased to me. Even McCarver, who played for the Cardinals in '67, doesn't seem all that biased. They're stupid announcers, for sure, but they're basically fair with the limited logic they use. McCarver was drooling over Wacha in game two, and, barring a bad outing, will probably drool over him in game six, but, to be fair, who won't be drooling over him? McCarver and Buck aren't very good, and I'm glad that McCarver's retiring, but I have no idea where this notion of bias comes from.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Re: Uh... What Bias?

Yeah, I hear you Mario.  I think McCarver's fawning is less bias and more just idiotic teencrush on whoever everyone else agrees is awesome.  

And, I think the notion that he is biased obscures the more fundamental issue:  he is the absolute worst color guy in the business bar none.  Who cares if he is biased.  If he never gave a hint of who he preferred to succeed in a game or moment, he would still be absolutely horrible.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I don't think the biases is intentional, but you can hear it in their voices....at least to me it seems like inside they want the Cardinals to win this thing. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

I wonder if some of the Cardinals fans are saying that McCarver and Buck are biased toward the Red Sox.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

I don't think the biases is intentional, but you can hear it in their voices....at least to me it seems like inside they want the Cardinals to win this thing. 

Maybe by baiting Red Sox fans they increase ratings.  They may have already tested out these theories with laboratory mice and focus group interviews.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

I listened to them for the first time last night and couldn't hear the bias.  My big complaint is those dumb interviews while the game is being played.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

For McCarver to have played for them and Bucks father been the longtime voice of them, they really dont seem biased. I hear alot of criscism of them and just doent get it. They are the best at what they do, thats why they do the playoffs.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Buck is actually not a bad game caller.  He has been dragged down for years by Morgan and McCarver.  I hope he gets a decent color guy after McBlahBlah lets us all mercifully off the hook and retires.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:

Buck is actually not a bad game caller.  He has been dragged down for years by Morgan and McCarver.  I hope he gets a decent color guy after McBlahBlah lets us all mercifully off the hook and retires.  

McCarver speaks more intelligently and directly when he's away from these broadcasts.  On air for a big game, he seems to be putting on an act to appeal to a more mainsteam audience, stating more of what seems obvious to sophisticated baseball fans.  I don't care for his act.  Maybe they can find a replacement that can appeal to a broader audience more seemlessly.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to Sheriff-Rojas' comment:

McCarver speaks more intelligently and directly when he's away from these broadcasts.  On air for a big game, he seems to be putting on an act to appeal to a more mainsteam audience, stating more of what seems obvious to sophisticated baseball fans.  I don't care for his act.  Maybe they can find a replacement that can appeal to a broader audience more seemlessly.  

listen to yourself sheriff

U nailed it, except his ''act'' is  who he should be catering too

the young & less informed

I know stating the obvious can get very annoying ( see m kay)

but us diehards are in the minority

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Well, I could buy this line if it was just a sort of dumbed-down everyman act that he was doing.  But, its not.  Its that he is actually making off-base assertions left and right.  Just dead wrong on baseball issues.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

Well, I could buy this line if it was just a sort of dumbed-down everyman act that he was doing.  But, its not.  Its that he is actually making off-base assertions left and right.  Just dead wrong on baseball issues.  

I'd argue that these off-base assertions are part of his act and that he maybe only half believes them.   Maybe stirring the pot is part of his schtick.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:

McCarver speaks more intelligently and directly when he's away from these broadcasts.  On air for a big game, he seems to be putting on an act to appeal to a more mainsteam audience, stating more of what seems obvious to sophisticated baseball fans. I don't care for his act.  Maybe they can find a replacement that can appeal to a broader audience more seemlessly.  

listen to yourself sheriff

U nailed it, except his ''act'' is  who he should be catering too

the young & less informed

I know stating the obvious can get very annoying ( see m kay)

but us diehards are in the minority

Of course I know it's part of his job, zac.  It doesn't mean I have to like it though.  The operative word in my post is "seemlessly".  The challenge for any color announcer is to appeal to the mainsteam without putting off the die-hards.  I think Buck Martinez does a decent job at this.  I also thought that Francona was pretty good.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

I'd argue that these off-base assertions are part of his act and that he maybe only half believes them.   Maybe stirring the pot is part of his schtick.  

Hey, anything is possible.  Perhaps he is just playing me like a fine viola.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Yes, stop the in-game interviews!

I put on another thread during the LCS that they'd have Chris Carpenter on every night...and as per usual, I was right!

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

Exactly Hugh, you nailed it. Its a knee jerk reaction type thing that they cant always keep in check. There is absolutely no question that both of those men are rooting for the Cardinals, no question at all. McCarver played for them his whole career, and Buck grew up around them when his own father was their announcer. Most of the time they keep it level, but now and again whats beneath the surface comes up for air and you can hear it in their voices. You can run, but you cant hide.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Personally , I think they are being fair. I also think they are doing a good job. I certainly don't agree with everything they say, but I have no problem with them as announcers. Obviously, I am in the minority. Some Sox fans just do this automatically. They will kill any announcers except the NESN guys.  They have inundated the game thread with a multitude of negative comments about the announcers. Some claim to have them on mute, but still seem to know what they are saying. I don't know how you could enjoy the game like that anyway. The radio broadcast is not in sync with the TV feed. Some are saying that they have it on  mute and are listening to the WEEI feed on the computer. I could be wrong, but I don't think that is even possible. The ESPN broadcast is being used for the on line feed. Like I say, I could be wrong about that. It might depend on what part of the country you are in.  My feeling is, just enjoy the game and stop obsessing about Buck and McCarver.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

McCarver last night..."whoever wins this game will have an advantage going in to game six in Boston".

If this guy is the "best" and that is why he gets the World Series assignment, then Fox needs to sign me up for next year's World Series!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

McCarver lost his **** when game 4 ended with a pickoff.  It really sounded personal.  He was angry...listen to his voice if you recorded the game.  Livid.

Beyond that, I think their broadcast is less biased than the talking heads who keep picking the Cards each game.  Pre game show was all about the Cards...fake headlines, pictures, etc.  They also focused on "Globgate" instead of Lester's numbers in the postseason.  They all picked Wainwright over Jon.  Hope they do it tomorrow night, too. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to soups' comment:

McCarver lost his **** when game 4 ended with a pickoff.  It really sounded personal.  He was angry...listen to his voice if you recorded the game.  Livid.

Beyond that, I think their broadcast is less biased than the talking heads who keep picking the Cards each game.  Pre game show was all about the Cards...fake headlines, pictures, etc.  They also focused on "Globgate" instead of Lester's numbers in the postseason.  They all picked Wainwright over Jon.  Hope they do it tomorrow night, too. 

Exactly. I noticed that too, instantly. Thats what Im saying. They try to be professional, and most of the time are, but their inner feelings cant help peek through in ungaurded moments.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from JoeFoyFan. Show JoeFoyFan's posts

I use the mute button but (I confess) I unmute when Erin Andrews is doing an interview.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Trolls bother me more.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts