Umpire's bad call

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

Umpire's bad call

I believe that, once an umpire makes such an egregious "error", he should be removed from the games -- especially in the World Series. He had the best view of the non-catch, standing right next to it.  Every other umpire saw it the correct way from ALL their different vantage points.

MLB needs to hold umpires accountable for "mistakes" like that. Just like any other profession. If you can't do what your job requires correctly, then find another profession. I'm sure there are plenty of people/umpires who would love the opportunity to be there in your place. These games are too important to have that happen.

If this was years ago, or maybe even a year ago, I doubt there would be any overturning the call. And that would be a shame. #gamechangingmistakes

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSF4Life234. Show RSF4Life234's posts

Re: Umpire's bad call

They got together and made the right call, its really a non issue.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Matheny was whining like there was no tommorow at his presser after the game. Classic Cardinals song and dance. What did he expect? To leave the call as it was and have it be an egregious error on world wide television in the World Series? Come on. Stupid Cardinals.....and btw, if we win this series with Beltran ban-ged up, the whining in Stl Louis will continue fo YEARS. To this day, they still claim theyd have won the whole thing in 2004 if some bad call they complain about from game one had gone their way. (I had to hyphenate the word ban-ged because its not allowed on bdc. Asinine.)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

In response to RSF4Life234's comment:

Sooo you want this guy behind the plate? Again, that "get together" usually doesn't happen. They were even talking about how unusual it was for a reverse call in that situation. He made the call he wanted to make, not what actually happened right in front of him.

And yes, we won the game. But I still don't believe that umpire belongs there. If we lost because of that call, you'd be singing a different tune. IMO

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

In response to TheExaminer's comment:

Matheny was whining like there was no tommorow at his presser after the game. Classic Cardinals song and dance. What did he expect? To leave the call as it was and have it be an egregious error on world wide television in the World Series? Come on. Stupid Cardinals.....and btw, if we win this series with Beltran ban-ged up, the whining in Stl Louis will continue fo YEARS. To this day, they still claim theyd have won the whole thing in 2004 if some bad call they complain about from game one had gone their way. (I had to hyphenate the word ban-ged because its not allowed on bdc. Asinine.)

And that was probably AFTER everyone, including him, saw the replay. Ridiculous. It's like he wanted the BAD call to remain as it stood. LOL

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to kimsaysthis' comment:

And that was probably AFTER everyone, including him, saw the replay. Ridiculous. It's like he wanted the BAD call to remain as it stood. LOL

Its the Cardinal way. Everything Brandon Phillips said about them was exactly right. When Larussa was there it was even worse. Maybe some in this forum will begin to understand why I hate this team the way I do.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

And look at the pics of where this umpire is standing during the play. You couldn't get a better view if you were making the play yourself. The ball NEVER went into his glove, so he had to see the ball the whole time -- never disappearing.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

Its the Cardinal way. Everything Brandon Phillips said about them was exactly right. When Larussa was there it was even worse. Maybe some in this forum will begin to understand why I hate this team the way I do.

Matheny, or whatever his name is, was probably saying, "Hey, we paid for that call." LOL j/k

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Oh well, take game two, then cut their heart out a little at a time. If we lose tomorrow, things could get sketchy.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

Oh well, take game two, then cut their heart out a little at a time. If we lose tomorrow, things could get sketchy.

Don't worry. I already created a thread saying we're beating the Cardinals, and that was before Game 6 of the ALCS with Detroit. So, we're beating the Cardinals. I'm 3 for 3 so far on outrageous predictions (the only ones I make). Book it.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

I don't understand why Yankee fans come to this site and think they can speak their mind.... I think this forum should only be for Red Sox fans. I just don't understand why the BDC doesn't clamp down on these egregious characters.

That's a shame. Pinstripezac is the only Yankee fan that has abused me here. It doesn't make me think badly of all Yankee fans.

I hope you come around. However, you're in the wrong thread. This thread is about a bad call in the first World Series game with the Sox and the Cardinals. Maybe you just need some sleep.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

And yes, we won the game. But I still don't believe that umpire belongs there. If we lost because of that call, you'd be singing a different tune. IMO

well then there would be something to whine about

there should be a thread about them getting together and getting it right

You couldn't get a better view if you were making the play yourself. The ball NEVER went into his glove, so he had to see the ball the whole time -- never disappearing.

question is what did it sound like

his eyes were most likely focussed on the bag

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In response to RSF4Life234's comment:

I agree, had they not gotten together and reverse it, that would have been far worse than the original mistake with 6 sets of eyes on the field. Which now sets the tone for how the crew chief has to handle obvious mistakes for the rest of the series...Which I think is the right way to handle it. Let the players on the field decide the outcomes of each game...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:

You couldn't get a better view if you were making the play yourself. The ball NEVER went into his glove, so he had to see the ball the whole time -- never disappearing.

This is not like 1B, where the ball makes a popping sound.  This is a flip, probably maiking no sound at all.

And if the ump isn't looking at the glove, how could he assume that the SS was in the process of transferring the ball?  How can you call a transfer call if you are looking at his hands?  And if that is the case, wouldn't that be the case every time a catcher drops the ball?  Wouldn't the ump automatically assume he was transferring?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc1944. Show MadMc1944's posts

pinstripes----With every Fox camera on that play the up wanys to get it right.

Easy play or at least an easy force at 2 B. Thinking the throw is perfect he wants to be sure he sees whether it's  a "neighborhood play" at second. Wasn't watching the ball--was watching the bag. H

He makes the out call. 

The umps should warn the middle infielders no neighborhood calls during the WS---it should be mentioned when they over the Ground Rules before the game.

There's so much scrutiny---so many more eyes watching. Clearly it was a mistake---they got it right.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

It sounded like nothing. That ball would not have made any sound in that situation.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

it reminded me of the infamous a-rod b!otch slap play.  jeter crosses homeplate and arod standing on 2nd base.  the umps got together and discussed it.  after the discussion, jeter back on the base and a-rod "out".

the important thing is....in both instances the "correct" call was eventually made.  do not want a series/outcome changed by a bad call.

See:  tim tschida / 1999 ALCS

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

It sounded like nothing. That ball would not have made any sound in that situation.

umpire didnt hear a thing.  you can see him watching the feet and then he looks over and sees him doing the throwing motion.  that is why he ruled it on the transfer.  he "assumed".  and we all know what that does.....

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from blingblang. Show blingblang's posts

Once Demuth made the wrong call it set a series of controversies in motion that becomes a no win whichever way it flows.

I sometimes wish the call stood, and Sox would have gone up 2-0 instead of 3-0 on Napoli's double that followed.  That would at least not give a reason of why the Cards lost the game, and instead turn into "they lost inspite of that help from Demuth".

Glad that replay is coming to baseball next year.  These guys need more TV replay help clearly to get the right call, and get rid of egos and blown calls that they refuse to change, and teams depending on umps sticking to blown calls against their opponents.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

You can break this down from multiple positions, but by far and large the entire industry has come out today and said they made the right call. 

He never got the ball, an out necessitates either a catch or a tag.  Let me repeat that an out necessitates either a catch, or a tag...no matter what that sounds like.  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

[/QUOTE]

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

This is not like 1B, where the ball makes a popping sound.  This is a flip, probably maiking no sound at all.

And if the ump isn't looking at the glove, how could he assume that the SS was in the process of transferring the ball?  How can you call a transfer call if you are looking at his hands?  And if that is the case, wouldn't that be the case every time a catcher drops the ball?  Wouldn't the ump automatically assume he was transferring?

[/QUOTE]

not sure if  a flip is loud enough to hear

but my points stands

DeMuth admitted he got it wrong.

"I stayed with the foot too long. That's how I ended up getting in trouble," he said. "And when I was coming up, all I could see was a hand coming out and the ball on the ground. All right? So I was assuming."

so does N C slashes point

he "assumed".  and we all know what that does....

but if he didn't see it he had to assume

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to MadMc1944's comment:

pinstripes----With every Fox camera on that play the up wanys to get it right.

Easy play or at least an easy force at 2 B. Thinking the throw is perfect he wants to be sure he sees whether it's  a "neighborhood play" at second. Wasn't watching the ball--was watching the bag. H

He makes the out call. 

The umps should warn the middle infielders no neighborhood calls during the WS---it should be mentioned when they over the Ground Rules before the game.

There's so much scrutiny---so many more eyes watching. Clearly it was a mistake---they got it right.

that's a good idea madmc

with replay next yr the neighborhood play might become history

my question is will there be more injuries

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

He did, exam.  He acted like they lost because of a bad call. Did he not see the replay? No question they got the call right. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

I believe that, once an umpire makes such an egregious "error", he should be removed from the games -- especially in the World Series. He had the best view of the non-catch, standing right next to it.  Every other umpire saw it the correct way from ALL their different vantage points.

MLB needs to hold umpires accountable for "mistakes" like that. Just like any other profession. If you can't do what your job requires correctly, then find another profession. I'm sure there are plenty of people/umpires who would love the opportunity to be there in your place. These games are too important to have that happen.

If this was years ago, or maybe even a year ago, I doubt there would be any overturning the call. And that would be a shame. #gamechangingmistakes

Removing an ump form a game for a bad call, and it was an extremely bad call, is a bit over the top, IMO.

MLB does need a more stringent review process for umps.

And playoff umps should be chosen by merit, not seniority.

Umps like CB Bucknor and Angel Hernandez shouldn't be anywhere near a playoff game.

Sections
Shortcuts