Umps blowing ball and strike calls

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Umps blowing ball and strike calls

The home plate ump made an outrageously bad call in the Rangers-Rays game the other night, so bad that that apologies had to be issued.

In last night's game Hanrahan struck out McLouth on pitch #5 but the ump called it a ball.  If you go to MLB Gameday and look at the pitch graph you'll see that pitch #5 was in virtually the same location as pitch #1, which was called a strike - except that pitch #5 was clearly even higher and better than pitch #1.  So there is no dispute that the ump messed up.

Not trying to excuse Hanrahan, and not trying to start a campaign for robot umps.  But it's pretty frustrating.  And it makes baseball look pretty silly when their own Gameday site clearly shows that the ump was dead wrong on a game-changing call.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

Re: Umps blowing ball and strike calls

That stuff tends to even out during the year. If the Red Sox were on the favorable side of that call no one would be talking about it.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

The Orioles shouldn't need any extra help by the umps to be competetive. Those 2 strikes by Hanrahan (that, either one should've ended the game) but they called balls, were egregious. Did Hanrahan have his best stuff last night? NO. But that really isn't the issue. He did what he needed to do. Most pitchers don't have their best stuff on any given night, but they get by. This is not a "meltdown". The fix was in. Sox won that game. 

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

Fix was in.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Those umps are in a union, right?

That must explain it.

Wink

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Those umps are in a union, right?

That must explain it.

Wink

Lol. i'm pro- union, so I wouldn't think that. I was thinking maybe home plate has a brother-in-law w/ $ on the O's. 

Im over it. But the Ump blew that game. No doubt I about it. Everyone on MLBN thought the same thing. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to emp9's comment:

Fix was in.

U R the same guy whining about mo getting the calls

so why is MLB fixing games against sox

is there something about their fans they don't like ?

not a big fan of amica strike zone

not sure about the specific pitches nut is referring to

but that last machado AB had a bunch of very close pitches

and the ump did as a good as could be expected

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:

Fix was in.

Call em like i see em. Get used to it. Mo gets that call on the first strike & you know it. 

You don't like what I have to say, go someplace else. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

In response to snakeoil123's comment:

That stuff tends to even out during the year. If the Red Sox were on the favorable side of that call no one would be talking about it.

True snakeoil123     :)

In football, the reverse call by the refs in the playoff game between the Patriots and Raiders ten years ago.   

My friend: "OMG that was a %$#& fumble!!!"

Me: "hmmmm,....well,....I umm,....."      LOL

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Fix was in.

Call em like i see em. Get used to it. Mo gets that call on the first strike & you know it. 

The umpiring was very inconsistent last night and McClouth was out twice.  Mo gets the calls because hes earned them.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

chill dude

you want to sound like a poor looser

who can't give the opponent credit

go for it , I didn't disagree with you

I simply asked

''so why is MLB fixing games against sox

is there something about their fans they don't like ?''

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

The Umps seem to have a tight strike zone this year but it goes both ways....pitchers  have to adjust....I do think however that Salty has to get a little less emphatic when catching a ball. Pitchers will never get a call when the Catcher has to reach across his body to catch a pitch, unless the catcher shifts his weight and does it more subtlely.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

In response to tomnev's comment:

The Umps seem to have a tight strike zone this year but it goes both ways....pitchers  have to adjust....I do think however that Salty has to get a little less emphatic when catching a ball. Pitchers will never get a call when the Catcher has to reach across his body to catch a pitch, unless the catcher shifts his weight and does it more subtlely.

It's commented by the announcers re. the reaching--The ump was given a clear view on that pitch.

Who cares whether the catcher has to reach, it's where the ball crosses the plate.

Let's not blame the umps lets blame JBJ and Ells in addition to Victorino for being in a perfect position to catch the ball in the first or Davis for robbing Pedroia of a trple in the eighth. Or the rain because it didn't rain hard enough to cancel the game. There's always enough blame to go around.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

chill dude

you want to sound like a poor looser

who can't give the opponent credit

go for it , I didn't disagree with you

I simply asked

''so why is MLB fixing games against sox

is there something about their fans they don't like ?''

I was hypothesizing. Two blatant,critical mis-calls can do that. Again, it wasn't a meltdown. So titt-for-tat. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Salty was voted one of the best pitch framers of all catchers last year. If its thrown across his body, he has to reach to get it.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

All I have to say is calls have to be consistent.  It did not in several occasion.  Ump even didn't call same pitch strikes for both teams especially inside.  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Salty was voted one of the best pitch framers of all catchers last year. If its thrown across his body, he has to reach to get it.

+1

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index.jsp?gid=2013_04_10_balmlb_bosmlb_1&mode=box#!/ingame

I wish I could put up the actual image but this is the link to the screen.  If you go to Gameday 'Classic view', the McLouth at-bat and click on it it shows the graph of all the pitches for the at-bat.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from boboinfla. Show boboinfla's posts

The call was bad. However, when Hanrahan lost his concentration was when the game was lost. As a burned out ballplayerm Inotice if a blowncall by an ump stays in your head, you are fried.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I guess it is kind of amusing that 'bad calls are part of the game' in baseball especially.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

I guess it is kind of amusing that 'bad calls are part of the game' in baseball especially.

I dont mind a "bad" call as long as its called the same all niught so the pitchers and batters can adjust acordingly.

Hanrahan threw pitch 1 at the knees for a strike on McClouth. I think it was pitch 5 that was higher than 1 and in the zone more, but got called a ball. Thats what drives me nuts. just be consistent.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

The home plate ump made an outrageously bad call in the Rangers-Rays game the other night, so bad that that apologies had to be issued.

In last night's game Hanrahan struck out McLouth on pitch #5 but the ump called it a ball.  If you go to MLB Gameday and look at the pitch graph you'll see that pitch #5 was in virtually the same location as pitch #1, which was called a strike - except that pitch #5 was clearly even higher and better than pitch #1.  So there is no dispute that the ump messed up.

Not trying to excuse Hanrahan, and not trying to start a campaign for robot umps.  But it's pretty frustrating.  And it makes baseball look pretty silly when their own Gameday site clearly shows that the ump was dead wrong on a game-changing call.

I'm in favor of each manager having a couple of challenges to use per game, as in football. People will complain about instant replay delaying the game, but I already invest enough time into watching baseball...I don't mind a few more minutes now and then if it means getting a potentially game-deciding call right.

Sections
Shortcuts