Umps blowing ball and strike calls

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jackbu. Show jackbu's posts

Re: Umps blowing ball and strike calls

In response to snakeoil123's comment:

That stuff tends to even out during the year. If the Red Sox were on the favorable side of that call no one would be talking about it.

Yes, I agree and sometimes players should protect the plate more.  Blown calls at first base or any of the bases are tough to get over.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

Pitch # 6 was also on the black.  On strike three, the pitcher should be given the benefit of the doubt.  Passive baseball should not be incentivized to that extent.  It would make for a lousy game.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

For the record, Hanrahan was squeezed by the ump on the calls against McLouth, however, the pitches were borderline strikes at best and it was not egregious bad calls like one made against Zobrist against the Rangers.

These type of calls happen to everyone...and Hanrahan, as an experienced closer, should be able to work past them and retain focus to get the job done.

He melted under the situation last night...let's hope it became a lesson learned and he makes the necessary adjustments.

There is nothing worse that will take the wind out of a team's sails than constant blown saves...so Hanrahan just needs to remain focused.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

In response to Soxdog67's comment:

For the record, Hanrahan was squeezed by the ump on the calls against McLouth, however, the pitches were borderline strikes at best and it was not egregious bad calls like one made against Zobrist against the Rangers.

These type of calls happen to everyone...and Hanrahan, as an experienced closer, should be able to work past them and retain focus to get the job done.

He melted under the situation last night...let's hope it became a lesson learned and he makes the necessary adjustments.

There is nothing worse that will take the wind out of a team's sails than constant blown saves...so Hanrahan just needs to remain focused.

+1

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to Sheriff-Rojas' comment:

Pitch # 6 was also on the black.  On strike three, the pitcher should be given the benefit of the doubt.  Passive baseball should not be incentivized to that extent.  It would make for a lousy game.  

Yes, that's a good point too. McLouth was rewarded for standing there with the bat on his shoulder while two pitches usually called strikes went by him.  Irksome.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

I don't have a problem with an ump blowing a call occasionally.  That happens as a part of the game and I can live with it.  But Joyce last night blew TWO consecutive calls and that's just unacceptable.

Of course, for those of you who want the ump to be consistent, I have to say he was that!  I just wish he'd been consistently right!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from M1A2. Show M1A2's posts

Happened to Dempster on the very first batter, who said something to the ump after a called strike clearly in the zone.  Next pitch also clearly a strike, but called a ball.

Calling balls and strikes is easily the toughest umpiring job, and every ump gets to do it.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Calls go both ways, and usually even out . Since umpires are human, and the technology now exists, I agree with the poster who said that managers should have replay flags akin to the NFL.

Regardless, would there be a thread like this if the call (borderline or not) was pro RS? 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to nhsteven's comment:

Calls go both ways, and usually even out . Since umpires are human, and the technology now exists, I agree with the poster who said that managers should have replay flags akin to the NFL.

Regardless, would there be a thread like this if the call (borderline or not) was pro RS? 

No, there probably wouldn't be.  The thread would be on a Baltimore forum.

But I would honestly prefer that balls and strikes calls are correct on both sides.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

I guess it is kind of amusing that 'bad calls are part of the game' in baseball especially.

I dont mind a "bad" call as long as its called the same all niught so the pitchers and batters can adjust acordingly.

Hanrahan threw pitch 1 at the knees for a strike on McClouth. I think it was pitch 5 that was higher than 1 and in the zone more, but got called a ball. Thats what drives me nuts. just be consistent.

i agree. i don't mind if an umpire wants to have a wonky strike zone but at least be consistent. How else are players supposed to adjust if you get 2 different calls on 2 pitches in the same location?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

In response to S5's comment:

I don't have a problem with an ump blowing a call occasionally.  That happens as a part of the game and I can live with it.  But Joyce last night blew TWO consecutive calls and that's just unacceptable.

Of course, for those of you who want the ump to be consistent, I have to say he was that!  I just wish he'd been consistently right!!

The 3-2 pitch to Salty appeared to be well off the outside and he gave him the "theatrical" 3rd strike demo and since he did it facing the 3 B dugout missed Salty's reaction. That's what bothers me is the decisive 3 rd strike --the same with Zobrist--that was soOOOOOOOOOOOOOO bad.

The guy behind the plate for Hanny seemed to be  a youngster-who was very consistently inconsistent the last two innings. The Arbella strike zone appears to be off center and shows balls to be strikes even on the line and high strikes it shows as balls which the ump consistently calls strikes. 

Maybe a new Arbella strike zone shot is needed???????

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Well, I guess we got our payback last night.  The pitch graphs say Ross was struck out by Jimenez in the second on pitch #5.  Instead he got a walk.  Then Ciriaco lined out to right for a sac fly.  If that pitch had been called a strike, it's possible the Sox would have scored zero runs that inning instead of 7.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

Well, I guess we got our payback last night.  The pitch graphs say Ross was struck out by Jimenez in the second on pitch #5.  Instead he got a walk.  Then Ciriaco lined out to right for a sac fly.  If that pitch had been called a strike, it's possible the Sox would have scored zero runs that inning instead of 7.

+1

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

I think the bad call, admitted to by the ump, against Zobrist, combined with all the coverage, has caused umps to tighten the strike zone a little.  Umps are human, and calling balls and strikes from behind the plate is daunting.  So I think some of them are inclined to think, "right now, better to err on the side of not calling strikes when I'm not sure." 

Me, I like umpires who call lots of strikes, which forces batters to be more aggressive and moves the game along. 

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Calls that go for U get little reaction, as can be seen here.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Calls that go  for U usually get little reaction, as can be seen here.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Duplicate

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:

In response to emp9's comment:

Fix was in.

U R the same guy whining about mo getting the calls

so why is MLB fixing games against sox

is there something about their fans they don't like ?

not a big fan of amica strike zone

not sure about the specific pitches nut is referring to

but that last machado AB had a bunch of very close pitches

and the ump did as a good as could be expected

As good as can be expected is getting the call right. Close calls are excusable, but any bad call over 3 inches is too much for me. If part of the ball is in and part of it is out, then I can see how an ump could miss it either way.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to BOSOX1941's comment:

As good as can be expected is getting the call right. Close calls are excusable, but any bad call over 3 inches is too much for me. If part of the ball is in and part of it is out, then I can see how an ump could miss it either way.

I can't argue with that BOSOX1941

but I still prefer to think those things equal out

next time U C a real bad call

take a look 2 C if the catcher could of blocked the umps view

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to BOSOX1941's comment:

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:

In response to emp9's comment:

Fix was in.

U R the same guy whining about mo getting the calls

so why is MLB fixing games against sox

is there something about their fans they don't like ?

not a big fan of amica strike zone

not sure about the specific pitches nut is referring to

but that last machado AB had a bunch of very close pitches

and the ump did as a good as could be expected

I was under the impression if any part of the ball traverses the K zone, it is supposed to be called a K.

Sections
Shortcuts