Unexpected and Totally Fun

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

Unexpected and Totally Fun

Great, exciting moment with the in-the-park homerun for Ellsbury. You just knew he was going home as soon as the ball hit the wall. It reminded me of when he stole home during the Yankee game. Where would we be without him this season?

Another surprise, of course, being Conor Jackson. This guy comes into a game and immediately runs into a wall and get injured. He comes back and makes a diving, attempted catch in the stands (I actually thought for sure he would, incredibly, be injured again. lol)  Makes a beautiful diving catch in RF, and then hits a grand slam later in the game. Another exciting moment.

Lowrie comes back and he hits a 3-run-homerun, while also having a great night, and making some nice plays.

Unexpected and totally fun. My favorite part of baseball.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Re: Unexpected and Totally Fun

Is this really you?

Wink

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

In Response to Re: Unexpected and Totally Fun:
    [QUOTE]Is this really you?
    Posted by harness[/QUOTE]

Yes. This one is actually me. :)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Jake's inside dinger is what makes the game great.
    He's had an amazing season. Good thing he wasn't traded after last year.
    To think, some nutcase around here didn't believe he was actually hurt as badly as he was...and called for his head.

Had they not aired on the side of caution, Ellsbury may never have been physically able to do what he's done this year. Never jeopardize a player by playing him with a serious injury. Never.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Jitterbug Jake does it again. 2 more dingers makes him a 30/30 man this year. Also one of my roommates is a huge A's fan, and he just loves Conor Jackson.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from athens7676. Show athens7676's posts

Ellsbury is SO important to the Sox future, they need to sign him to an extension ASAP as he is the most talented player on the team (pitchers excluded). He should be AL MVP.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]Ellsbury is SO important to the Sox future, they need to sign him to an extension ASAP as he is the most talented player on the team (pitchers excluded). He should be AL MVP.
    Posted by athens7676[/QUOTE]Ells is almost certain to go to free agency in a year. Boras is his agent, and his history is taking his really good young talent to FA to maximize the money for them. I think the Sox can sign Ells long term, but I think they'll have to do it in the free agent market.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Unexpected and Totally Fun : Ells is almost certain to go to free agency in a year. Boras is his agent, and his history is taking his really good young talent to FA to maximize the money for them. I think the Sox can sign Ells long term, but I think they'll have to do it in the free agent market.
    Posted by carnie[/QUOTE]

carny

you are at least the 3rd person to correctly point that out to him

yet not only has he failed to respond

he acts like it never happened

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Unexpected and Totally Fun : carny you are at least the 3rd person to correctly point that out to him yet not only has he failed to respond he acts like it never happened
    Posted by pinstripezac32[/QUOTE]Well, one tries to educate people. Only they can decide to absorb it though.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from athens7676. Show athens7676's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Unexpected and Totally Fun : carny you are at least the 3rd person to correctly point that out to him yet not only has he failed to respond he acts like it never happened
    Posted by pinstripezac32[/QUOTE]

If you are referring to me.. I will offer this as my humble defense, I believe Ellsbury is one of the top 10 under 30 players in the game so I may be harping on it a bit to much, as far as pretending something didn't happen: I live on the West Coast and post mostly after 11pm MY time... I often dont go back to look at responses to every thread, unless I got a response before I went to sleep the previos night. I was not ignoring a response out of ignorance or arrogance, more as a function of pragmatism. For that I apologize. I will try not to repeat the same offense moving forward. I hope this addresses your concern. I truly wish you the best, and apologize for any mistake I have made. I come to this board because I enjoy talking baseball with knowledgeable fans...and do not want to be considered a troll in any way. Once again... I am sorry.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Unexpected and Totally Fun : If you are referring to me.. I will offer this as my humble defense, I believe Ellsbury is one of the top 10 under 30 players in the game so I may be harping on it a bit to much, as far as pretending something didn't happen: I live on the West Coast and post mostly after 11pm MY time... I often dont go back to look at responses to every thread, unless I got a response before I went to sleep the previos night. I was not ignoring a response out of ignorance or arrogance, more as a function of pragmatism. For that I apologize. I will try not to repeat the same offense moving forward. I hope this addresses your concern. I truly wish you the best, and apologize for any mistake I have made. I come to this board because I enjoy talking baseball with knowledgeable fans...and do not want to be considered a troll in any way. Once again... I am sorry.
    Posted by athens7676[/QUOTE]I'm in San Francisco, where are you? BTW I totally agree with your assessment of Ellsbury. He's one of the most dynamic players in the game today IMO. He will go to FA though, I think.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

I appreciate all that athens

I to apologize  if I came across as a total jerk

I generally like to keep it 50/50

50 % jerk    50 % knowledgeable  MFYfan

welcome to the board

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from athens7676. Show athens7676's posts

@pinstripe.... Thank you for your kind words & amusing % breakdown!! I appreciate the welcome very much!! You did not come off like a jerk, and I am glad to know when I am being to repetitive! look forward to hearing from you in the future!!

@ Carnie.. I live in the HOLE known as Las Vegas....an AWESOME place to visit.... and a HORRIBLE place to live.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]@pinstripe.... Thank you for your kind words & amusing % breakdown!! I appreciate the welcome very much!! You did not come off like a jerk, and I am glad to know when I am being to repetitive! look forward to hearing from you in the future!! @ Carnie.. I live in the HOLE known as Las Vegas....an AWESOME place to visit.... and a HORRIBLE place to live.
    Posted by athens7676[/QUOTE]Well, at least what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas. I plan on doimg some skiing in Tahoe this winter. Do you ever get to Reno?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from athens7676. Show athens7676's posts

I don't even get to the strip anymore.. Reno is a long way when you have kids :0) Skiing sounds like fun though!! It's been 6 years since I went skiing. Have fun for me would you?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

http://www.bayareaskibus.com/
    A great way to get from San Francisco to Tahoe in the winter.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

As Harness reminds us, it takes more than one great season to be considered a super-star. ( Another example of verbal inflation. "Star" used to be good enough. Maybe they are all "stars" now. )  A good argument can be made at the moment that Ellsbury is the best all-around player in the AL. And he does it all with unforced flair. He just flat out looks good at work. ( And otherwise, the pink hats will say. ) A couple of more years at close to this year's performance level, and his status as one of the super-stars of the game will be established. 
    What other active players fit that description? Mo, without question. ( Super person too. ) ARod for his entire body of work. Pujols. King Felix on the verge?
    Jeter for his entire body of work? Gonzalez with a chance. Hamilton with a chance. Bautista with a chance? Kemp with a chance? Cabrera with a chance? Always hard to say about pitchers, since they are liable to injury. But there are a few in addition to King Felix. For instance, Beckett has a chance if he stays healthy. Doc, probably right now. Verlander has a chance. Kershaw too.  Lincecum. Others?
    These kinds of classifications are somewhat arbitrary since firm distinctions are not easy in many cases ( like HOF selections ); but they are nonetheless meaningful. The creme de la creme has always been recognized in baseball. We may be seeing Ellsbury mature into that distinction -- as a long-term member of the Boston Red Sox, we hope. He in center at Fenway in a grey uni, a grim thought there.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]@pinstripe.... Thank you for your kind words & amusing % breakdown!! I appreciate the welcome very much!! You did not come off like a jerk, and I am glad to know when I am being to repetitive! look forward to hearing from you in the future!! @ Carnie.. I live in the HOLE known as Las Vegas....an AWESOME place to visit.... and a HORRIBLE place to live.
    Posted by athens7676[/QUOTE]

I can sympathize.
    I lived there long enough to see it in the same way.
    The mobs never really left VEGAS. They just went corporate.

BTW: Don't be too hard on ZAC: He's still trying to get his "percentages" balanced.   

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

Another season like this and he might power his way out of his lead-off role. Thanx alot Ellsbury! ;)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In Response to Unexpected and Totally Fun:
    [QUOTE]Great, exciting moment with the in-the-park homerun for Ellsbury. You just knew he was going home as soon as the ball hit the wall. It reminded me of when he stole home during the Yankee game. Where would we be without him this season? Another surprise, of course, being Conor Jackson. This guy comes into a game and immediately runs into a wall and get injured. He comes back and makes a diving, attempted catch in the stands (I actually thought for sure he would, incredibly, be injured again. lol)  Makes a beautiful diving catch in RF, and then hits a grand slam later in the game. Another exciting moment. Lowrie comes back and he hits a 3-run-homerun, while also having a great night, and making some nice plays. Unexpected and totally fun. My favorite part of baseball.
    Posted by kimsaysthis[/QUOTE] my favorite part of the inside-the parker is the exact moment you see he's going for it..

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

[QUOTE]Another season like this and he might power his way out of his lead-off role. Thanx alot Ellsbury! ;)
    Posted by emp9[/QUOTE]
    Could happen. But who would lead off?  Ellsbury is now comfortable in that role, to say the least. Would he be as comfortable in, say, the 3 hole even if a good leadoff man could be found to replace him? I take it you might be thinking along the lines of X, Pedey, Ellsbury, Gonzalez, Ortiz.... Might be all right. But  I doubt that Boston will go that route unless the club comes up with "that leadoff man."
    Are you thinking maybe Scutaro if he's retained? Neither Pedey nor Crawford wants it -- and Crawford may have trouble hanging onto the the 6 hole.
    Look, I'm not saying this was not a good subject to bring up. Far from it. That damn Ellsbury is messing things up.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Unexpected and Totally Fun : Could happen. But who would lead off?  Ellsbury is now comfortable in that role, to say the least. Would he be as comfortable in, say, the 3 hole even if a good leadoff man could be found to replace him? I take it you might be thinking along the lines of X, Pedey, Ellsbury, Gonzalez, Ortiz.... Might be all right. But  I doubt that Boston will go that route unless the club comes up with "that leadoff man." Are you thinking maybe Scutaro if he's retained? Neither Pedey nor Crawford wants it -- and Crawford may have trouble hanging onto the the 6 hole. Look, I'm not saying this was not a good subject to bring up. Far from it. That damn Ellsbury is messing things up.
    Posted by expitch[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I was half kidding. I never expected this much power from him. I guess, if his OBP stays around 380 or he stays within the top 20 of the league in OBP then he stays there. For me, that's the central criteria for the leadoff spot. The Homeruns sure are nice though.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Unexpected and Totally Fun : Ells is almost certain to go to free agency in a year. Boras is his agent, and his history is taking his really good young talent to FA to maximize the money for them. I think the Sox can sign Ells long term, but I think they'll have to do it in the free agent market.
    Posted by carnie[/QUOTE]
    Jacoby Ellsbury remains under his team's control through the 2013 season:

https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=0Ah4PW47PiAi-dFJHNHQzMXVTdzg2ck40MVMxX21kVEE&output=html

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BeaconHill19. Show BeaconHill19's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Unexpected and Totally Fun : Jacoby Ellsbury remains under his team's control through the 2013 season: https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=0Ah4PW47PiAi-dFJHNHQzMXVTdzg2ck40MVMxX21kVEE&output=html
    Posted by hill55[/QUOTE]

Thanks, that's good news.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

A NORMAN ROCKWELL EVENT, FOR SURE !!!!!!