Unfortunately, We are stuck with Stephen Drew, #7, at Short

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Re: Unfortunately, We are stuck with Stephen Drew, #7, at Short

Nothing wrong with wanting Iglesias back.  I do too.  But I'm fine with giving Drew a shot.  He made a nice place in the hole his first game, and he represents a good lefty bat.  Time will tell. 

2. This post has been removed.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to sportsbozo1's comment:

I'm a fan also and no offense to you folks who think Drew is a good SS. He's an adequate SS. Who uses the Drew family hitting theory don't swing unless you have to. Drew had a single in the ninth tonight. Iggy had a HR! Pawtucket won and The Red Sox lost! You do the math.....

You're kidding, right?   you left out the part where Iglesias homered off a minor league pitcher.

I like Iglesias, but quit pretending he can hit.  He really cannot hit very well at all.   This season, he got by with infield singles and bunt hits.  

And what is wrong with working the count?  Gee, I gues since his brother did it, it must be bad.

What a poor, stupid argument against Stephen Drew...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In response to notin's comment:

I'm a fan also and no offense to you folks who think Drew is a good SS. He's an adequate SS. Who uses the Drew family hitting theory don't swing unless you have to. Drew had a single in the ninth tonight. Iggy had a HR! Pawtucket won and The Red Sox lost! You do the math.....

You're kidding, right?   you left out the part where Iglesias homered off a minor league pitcher.

I like Iglesias, but quit pretending he can hit.  He really cannot hit very well at all.   This season, he got by with infield singles and bunt hits.  

And what is wrong with working the count?  Gee, I gues since his brother did it, it must be bad.

Drew was a big waste of money. Unless they thought he was really going to produce, he is a waste at the SS postion. Watch. He won't be starting in three weeks.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to ADG's comment:

Drew was a big waste of money. Unless they thought he was really going to produce, he is a waste at the SS postion. Watch. He won't be starting in three weeks.

If so, then what is your point?

Believe it or not, the people in the Sox organization know more about Drew and Iglesias than either you or me.   and they decided Drew is the starter.   As for them wasting your money, every time the Sox think about handing a rookie the job fans cry for a veteran "just in case" or better yet "to mentor him."

And since you are such a sharp judge of talent, which rookie did you think would struggle heavily at the plate first - Bradley or Iglesias?   (Anyone who says Bradley is a liar.)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Greeting from the UK

i see we are still in the S Drew era.....like the William Henry Harrison admin - it will be very short

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to georom4's comment:

Greeting from the UK

i see we are still in the S Drew era.....like the William Henry Harrison admin - it will be very short

Of course it will be short.  It's a one year deal, and he probably doesn't finish the season in Boston.

And then you can all go back to complaining about Iglesias and how this team cannot afford an "automatic out" in the lineup...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Notin...is it true SDrewII is batting and slugging .167?????

holy flops Notin...I was RIGHT AGAIN!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to georom4's comment:

Notin...is it true SDrewII is batting and slugging .167?????

holy flops Notin...I was RIGHT AGAIN!

His OBP is .375, which is outstanding.

Or maybe we can reserve judgments on players with TWELVE AT BATS as being a tad premature.

Also a tad premature, calling you right on anything ;)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

These small sample size judges drive me nuts.

When Iggy's batting maybe  .265 in AAA and Drew has a .730+ OPS in MLB after a couple months, you won't here from these guys again.

Arguing that Iggy deserves to ve our FT SS based on offense is the biggest joke so far this season on this forum.

Iggy should play based on his defense. That's the only valid argument for his side of the issue.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from VeniceSox. Show VeniceSox's posts

Signings like Drew where he has to play because of the salary are awful. If he slumps really badly, what can they do? Send Ciriaco down so they can bring Iglesias up? It was $9.5M that did not have to be spent.

Period.

And lastly, I'm tired of watching players named Drew who wear uniform #7.

this is a stupid post....after a few games youre going to judge Drew? Its laughable... why arent yo saying the same about Middlebrooks who,other than one game has hit almost nothing??

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to VeniceSox's comment:

Signings like Drew where he has to play because of the salary are awful. If he slumps really badly, what can they do? Send Ciriaco down so they can bring Iglesias up? It was $9.5M that did not have to be spent.

Period.

this is a stupid post....after a few games youre going to judge Drew? Its laughable... why arent yo saying the same about Middlebrooks who,other than one game has hit almost nothing??

because ADG isn't whining about WMB right now. his target is set on Drew so he will use any small sample and idiotic stat he can find to try and discredit Drew.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

Period.

exactly....this is just stupid....

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

When Iggy's batting maybe  .265 in AAA and Drew has a .730+ OPS in MLB after a couple months, you won't here from these guys again.

Arguing that Iggy deserves to ve our FT SS based on offense is the biggest joke so far this season on this forum.

Iggy should play based on his defense. That's the only valid argument for his side of the issue.

I could entertain the defensive argument for Iglesias.  I have been making it for 2 years now.

But honestly, 90% of the Stephen Drew antipathy is more related to his older brother.   And that makes it even stupider.  They are completely differnt people, folks!  

I wonder if these same fans were so overjoyed when the Red Sox once addressed a pitching need by acquiring Mike Maddux...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

I could entertain the defensive argument for Iglesias.  I have been making it for 2 years now.

But honestly, 90% of the Stephen Drew antipathy is more related to his older brother.   And that makes it even stupider.  They are completely differnt people, folks!  

I wonder if these same fans were so overjoyed when the Red Sox once addressed a pitching need by acquiring Mike Maddux...

lol...this is good...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

Period.

Also, any time a poster brings up JD Drew to bash Stephen Drew, as if they're somehow the same player, they instantly lose credibility.

It's a good thing the Red Sox didn't have Ramon first, or these guys would never have wanted Pedro.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

LOL!  Or, the Penny - Smoltz one-two punch!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Flapjack07's comment:

Period.

Also, any time a poster brings up JD Drew to bash Stephen Drew, as if they're somehow the same player, they instantly lose credibility.

It's a good thing the Red Sox didn't have Ramon first, or these guys would never have wanted Pedro.

Someone else was doing the same on Justin Upton and BJ.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I'm all for the advancement of Jose Iglesias, but I just don't understand how people can get all worked up over a one year mercenary 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

exactly Moon. Iggys defense is what should be argued.

Some here not liking Drew because of his brother has absolutely NO credibility...Love the small sample sizes too. Iggy will be here soon enough.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Promise4you2. Show Promise4you2's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:

He is going to produce more than Iglesias and that is pretty much a given.

WRONG!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Promise4you2. Show Promise4you2's posts

But he should be our SS! I dont care if he hits .218 ala Mark Belanger! Runs saved and Pitcher confidence!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

In response to Promise4you2's comment:

But he should be our SS! I dont care if he hits .218 ala Mark Belanger! Runs saved and Pitcher confidence!

If only Iggy were Belanger!

If Iglesias hits .218, his OB average would probably be about .270. Belanger had a career OB average of .300. Also, Belanger played in a time with less offense, especially from SS's. Belanger in his prime was an above average offensive SS. For example in his 8 year prime between 1969-1976, Belanger put up a .315 OB average, which ranked 12th out of 60 SS's. If Iggy ranks in the same percentile, he would have to put up a .341 OB average. If Iggy was just an average offensive SS like Belanger, he would have an OPS of .700.

So people should stop comparing him to Belanger and start comparing him to truely bad offensive players, like Rey Ordonez. Or Adam Everrett. And leave out the good hitting SS's like Belanger, Aparicio, and Smith.

Sections
Shortcuts