1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

Re: Unfortunately, We are stuck with Stephen Drew, #7, at Short

In response to BMav's comment:

In response to Promise4you2's comment:

In response to moonslav59's comment:

These small sample size judges drive me nuts.

When Iggy's batting maybe  .265 in AAA and Drew has a .730+ OPS in MLB after a couple months, you won't here from these guys again.

Arguing that Iggy deserves to ve our FT SS based on offense is the biggest joke so far this season on this forum.

Iggy should play based on his defense. That's the only valid argument for his side of the issue.

But he should be our SS! I dont care if he hits .218 ala Mark Belanger! Runs saved and Pitcher confidence!

If only Iggy were Belanger!

If Iglesias hits .218, his OB average would probably be about .270. Belanger had a career OB average of .300. Also, Belanger played in a time with less offense, especially from SS's. Belanger in his prime was an above average offensive SS. For example in his 8 year prime between 1969-1976, Belanger put up a .315 OB average, which ranked 12th out of 60 SS's. If Iggy ranks in the same percentile, he would have to put up a .341 OB average. If Iggy was just an average offensive SS like Belanger, he would have an OPS of .700.

So people should stop comparing him to Belanger and start comparing him to truely bad offensive players, like Rey Ordonez. Or Adam Everrett. And leave out the good hitting SS's like Belanger, Aparicio, and Smith.

Great post.  Lately, there's been a lot griping about the quality of this chatboard, and not without reason.  This type of thinking outside the box reasoning with number support should give us a reason to stay.  

2. This post has been removed.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to ADG's comment:

Signings like Drew where he has to play because of the salary are awful. If he slumps really badly, what can they do? Send Ciriaco down so they can bring Iglesias up? It was $9.5M that did not have to be spent.

Period.

And lastly, I'm tired of watching players named Drew who wear uniform #7.

Unfortunately we tend to make a lot of mistakes like not grabbing Youk over Napoli at IB/backup 3B and signing Dempster and Hanrahan instead of spending the cash on the much younger Anibal to help out Jon and Clay.  If we don't find some real offense soon it may not make a difference anyway.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:

He is going to produce more than Iglesias and that is pretty much a given.

Where did that pipe dream come from?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to craze4sox's comment:

Signings like Drew where he has to play because of the salary are awful. If he slumps really badly, what can they do? Send Ciriaco down so they can bring Iglesias up? It was $9.5M that did not have to be spent.

Period.

Unfortunately we tend to make a lot of mistakes like not grabbing Youk over Napoli at IB/backup 3B and signing Dempster and Hanrahan instead of spending the cash on the much younger Anibal to help out Jon and Clay.  If we don't find some real offense soon it may not make a difference anyway.

Youkilis over Napoli?  Really?  Beyond loyaty, what shoyuld have been the reason?  Youk's short term success in NY?

Since the beginning of 2011, Youkilis has an OPS of .805 and an OPS+ of 116.  In the same timeframe, Mike Napoli has an OPS of .918 and an OPS+ of 139.   The Sox got the beter hitter for less money.

Anibal Sanchez is massively overrated.  He is basically Ryan Dempster (same GB%, K%, FB% and LD%), but with fewer walks.   It does seem odd that fans wishing for the one year deal of Stephe Drew to go away, but want to pay Ryan Dempster ... I mean Anibal Sanchez... some $80mill over 5 years or whatever for the privelege of watching him decline as a pitcher...

(Hanrahan was traded for, not signed.  That deal opened up a few 40-man roster spots by removing a lot of deadweight.)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to notin's comment:

In response to craze4sox's comment:

Period.

Youkilis over Napoli?  Really?  Beyond loyaty, what shoyuld have been the reason?  Youk's short term success in NY?

Since the beginning of 2011, Youkilis has an OPS of .805 and an OPS+ of 116.  In the same timeframe, Mike Napoli has an OPS of .918 and an OPS+ of 139.   The Sox got the beter hitter for less money.

Anibal Sanchez is massively overrated.  He is basically Ryan Dempster (same GB%, K%, FB% and LD%), but with fewer walks.   It does seem odd that fans wishing for the one year deal of Stephe Drew to go away, but want to pay Ryan Dempster ... I mean Anibal Sanchez... some $80mill over 5 years or whatever for the privelege of watching him decline as a pitcher...

(Hanrahan was traded for, not signed.  That deal opened up a few 40-man roster spots by removing a lot of deadweight.)

Preach!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

When Iggy's batting maybe  .265 in AAA and Drew has a .730+ OPS in MLB after a couple months, you won't here from these guys again.

Arguing that Iggy deserves to ve our FT SS based on offense is the biggest joke so far this season on this forum.

Iggy should play based on his defense. That's the only valid argument for his side of the issue.

But he should be our SS! I dont care if he hits .218 ala Mark Belanger! Runs saved and Pitcher confidence!

I agree and have said as much, but I am just trying to warn those who are pumping up Iggy and deflating Drew based on tiny offensive sample sizes.

It's all about the D with Iggy with some possible slightly improved offense.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

At least Drew got a walk today. He's a tremendous talent and has great pop in his bat.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Promise4you2. Show Promise4you2's posts

If Iglesias hits .218, his OB average would probably be about .270. Belanger had a career OB average of .300. Also, Belanger played in a time with less offense, especially from SS's. Belanger in his prime was an above average offensive SS. For example in his 8 year prime between 1969-1976, Belanger put up a .315 OB average, which ranked 12th out of 60 SS's. If Iggy ranks in the same percentile, he would have to put up a .341 OB average. If Iggy was just an average offensive SS like Belanger, he would have an OPS of .700.

So people should stop comparing him to Belanger and start comparing him to truely bad offensive players, like Rey Ordonez. Or Adam Everrett. And leave out the good hitting SS's like Belanger, Aparicio, and Smith.

Point Made, I will still take the glove at short! runs saved equal runs produced!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Promise4you2. Show Promise4you2's posts

At least Drew got a walk today. He's a tremendous talent and has great pop in his bat.

He needs to show that. Im still taking the better defender on this team!. They are going to win with pitching and defense not runs scored (some azz will take this out of context). That extra 20 runs will mean little when you look at the large picture and Moon knows what im talking about!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Promise4you2. Show Promise4you2's posts

BTW Belanger was not a good hitter! But he can still play on my team that has pitching and relies on defense!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 808soxfan. Show 808soxfan's posts

I agree and have said as much, but I am just trying to warn those who are pumping up Iggy and deflating Drew based on tiny offensive sample sizes.

I hope that Drew does well. What I can't figure out is why they "rushed" him into the SS spot while Iggy was doing quite well offensively. Papi is apparently OK, but is remaining at AAA until he gets his timing back. Obviously, as DH, Papi's offense and hence timing is everything.

I understand that a SS brings defensive value to the team, but it's not like the RS were suffering with Iggy/Ciriaco manning the position until Drew had the opportunity for some "spring training" at bats that he missed.  I still do not see the wisdom of rushing Drew up to the team until he has shown that he has established his rhythm and timing at the plate. Maybe he could have done with an extended stay (1-2 weeks more) in the minors? Why the rush to replace someone with a good glove hitting over .500 at the moment? I know that they would bring Drew up eventually.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Once Iggy can prove he can consistently hit at AAA, Im Ok with it. Hes 1-11 right now in pawtucket.

Sorry, but theres not enough defense that will make up for a sub .200 avg and a .200 OBP. People on here can guess or have their opinion of "would Iggy have made that play?" But thats really all it is, an opinion. Drews defense has been fine (has made a couple great plays as well) and since he has a proven track record of offense, Im sure the bat will get going soon enough.
    Oh, the people crying about not wanting another Drew here and thats the reason you dont like him? You guys have absolutely no credibility with that kind of dumb reasoning.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from splendidsplinterteddyballgame. Show splendidsplinterteddyballgame's posts

Stephen Drew has a great swing and its only a matter of time before some of those hard hit balls start finding a hole.  People forget how much time he missed in spring training.  He is going to hit so much better than Iggy ever could.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 808soxfan. Show 808soxfan's posts

I don't hate Stephen Drew. I just think that he needed more swings in AAA before coming up.

This article on Pettite has a section on Granderson's comeback:

http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/story/_/id/9171353/andy-pettitte-new-york-yankees-start-pushed-back-friday

Girardi claims that Granderson should get 50-70 AB's in the minors before joining the big club. How many did Drew get - 20 maybe? Meantime, Iggy was hitting.

For me, it's not a question of whether or not Drew joined the big league club, it is when. His present scuffling at the plate could have been masked in AAA games. It is certainly not driving his value up as a player.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to 808soxfan's comment:

I don't hate Stephen Drew. I just think that he needed more swings in AAA before coming up.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/story/_/id/9171353/andy-pettitte-new-york-yankees-start-pushed-back-friday

Girardi claims that Granderson should get 50-70 AB's in the minors before joining the big club. How many did Drew get - 20 maybe? Meantime, Iggy was hitting.

For me, it's not a question of whether or not Drew joined the big league club, it is when. His present scuffling at the plate could have been masked in AAA games. It is certainly not driving his value up as a player.

Hes hit the ball sharply a few times. they just went right at someone. They'll find grass soon enough.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from stillallbost08. Show stillallbost08's posts

In response to 808soxfan's comment:

granerson missed a lot mor time than drew....but I would have been ok with drew spending more time in AAA

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

I'd rather have defense than nothing at all. That's what we are getting with Drew. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

I'd rather have defense than nothing at all. That's what we are getting with Drew. 

so Drew hasn't been playing good D?

because you'd be wrong.....

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

What is your point? Let's see how well the $9.5M is spent. He will be a bustout.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from stillallbost08. Show stillallbost08's posts

I agree...drew has been all Defense and no Offense

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

What is your point? Let's see how well the $9.5M is spent. He will be a bustout.

This team is 9 & 4 and playing great baseball!  Seriously, do ever stop whining?! You must be the life of the party in your circles...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

my point is that your statement of "I'd rather have defense than nothing at all. That's what we are getting with Drew." is incorrect. despite his lack of offense he is still getting on base and working counts. playing stellar defense and such"

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

my point is that your statement of "I'd rather have defense than nothing at all. That's what we are getting with Drew." is incorrect. despite his lack of offense he is still getting on base and working counts. playing stellar defense and such"

How is he gettng on base, etc?  He is 2 for 19. He has 3 walks. That would put his OBA at 5 for 22, which is a whopping .227. Throw in the slugging average of .160 and his OPS is .387. He's not getting on base.

Sections
Shortcuts