Unfortunately, We are stuck with Stephen Drew, #7, at Short

1. This post has been removed.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

Re: Unfortunately, We are stuck with Stephen Drew, #7, at Short

Regarding Drew at Shortstop...

Rather than lamenting any or all of the trades of  Gonzo, Crawford, Punto & Beckett, I wish to be a Monday morning qtrback too & the guy I really miss is Marco Scutaro who was MVP in National League Championship Series last year and instrumental in SF Giants World Series victory.  He's a gutsy player/clutch hitter and wouldn't we like him now at shortstop(he can play 2nd, short or 3rd).  At least I can enjoy seeing him at AT&T park in SF but I wish he had stayed with the Sox !!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to SFBostonFan's comment:

Rather than lamenting any or all of the trades of  Gonzo, Crawford, Punto & Beckett, I wish to be a Monday morning qtrback too & the guy I really miss is Marco Scutaro who was MVP in National League Championship Series last year and instrumental in SF Giants World Series victory.  He's a gutsy player/clutch hitter and wouldn't we like him now at shortstop(he can play 2nd, short or 3rd).  At least I can enjoy seeing him at AT&T park in SF but I wish he had stayed with the Sox !!!

he can't play SS or 3B anymore, his shoulder is gone and can't make the throws needed to play on the left side of the IF.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Drew 2 for 22, 8 K's.

BA - .091

OBA - .200

OPS - .437

I loved the arguments after he had two walks that he was at least getting on base. 

Iglesias with a nice game tonight.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gravelten4. Show Gravelten4's posts

Ill give him another 20 AB's or so but he just looks bad. Has made a couple of nice plays in the field but not enough to make up for his stick so far.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from michaelsjr. Show michaelsjr's posts

Still not ready to climb aboard the Drew Bash Express.  He was cleared to play, but is likely still sweeping a few residual cobwebs.  Getting a good bead on the ball at the plate could take a little longer than picking up the ball from defensive position.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to softlaw2's comment:

this is a stupid post....after a few games youre going to judge Drew? Its laughable...

No, that's not stupid. S. Drew has a long career that shows he was a bum with bad wheels over a big sample of seasons.

Now, that's stupid is to take 12 games and pretend that Bradley is "overmatched" in the 8 lineup slot. Bradley drove the ball near the warning track with runners on against the Rays. The ball was caught. Had the fielder not played it perfectly, his entire numbers change by virtue of the tiny sample size.

Bradley's new, a terrific defender, an inexperienced MLB hitter who I said would struggle at the plate. However, he will simply get better as the season gets longer and he uses his youth and talents to make adjustments and becomes familiar with the canned pitching plan against him.

S. Drew is a different case. S. Drew has been an abject failure before he was signed. He can't hit worse, so he will hit better. Nothing can be done about the low range and belly flop he did when the ball hit right to him bounced off his chest to Pedroia who turned into an out. But as soon as he hits better, they need to get rid of him and write off part of his contract to do so.

As I said before the season, Iglesias and Ciriaco should have meant that the Red Sox didn't need a 10 million dollar veteran SS who can't hit and can't field the position well. But, this managment continues to seek slugging from the SS position. It will never work.  

Drew has had a number of hard hit balls that went right at someone or they made nice plays on them. hes also had a few bad calls at the plate. Another thing is he is having long AB's, taking a bunch of pitches. Not sure your "he hit the ball to the warning track" arguement cant go both ways.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Sox are now 6-2 when Drew has started and 7-2 since he was activated.

Cool

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from stillallbost08. Show stillallbost08's posts

it's clear that he brings leadership and enthusiasm to the team

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

I  like Drew at SS--he's a good defender--I haven't seen any balls so far that he hasn't gotten to that Iggy would  have or Ciriaco. His hitting will come around as it gets warmer. His eye at the plate is fairly good---I don't like seeing him take called third strikes but Nap has been striking out quite a bit--I don't hear many fans complaining about him. 

Stephen will forever be criticized because he makes $9.5 and he's Jd's bro. Get over it you're overlooking a great start by the Sox and all the interesting things that Farrell is doing and that Ells and Nava and Pedroia and Buch and Lester and Dempster and ShaVic have done so far. Bailey  and Ue and Taz have been pretty good out of the pen and we're about to see Webster and we've see the debut of JBJ and a good sampling of Iggy.

It's been a good start so far, I prefer to choose to be happy with all that's happened so far and not dwell on Iggy or JBJ having been sent down. I consider myself a long time , die hard Red Sox fan and I choose not to allow those that spew negativity to ruin my day and spoil the forum for me.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Drew is a one year mistake...not worth getting all hyped up about....he needs to hit or will be replaced quickly - as i predicted

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

In response to ADG's comment:

Signings like Drew where he has to play because of the salary are awful. If he slumps really badly, what can they do? Send Ciriaco down so they can bring Iglesias up? It was $9.5M that did not have to be spent.

Period.

And lastly, I'm tired of watching players named Drew who wear uniform #7.

RS are 12-4 and you want to complain about the SS? need to get a life!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Marco Scutaro signed a 3 year $20mill deal with the Giants at age 37.  I'd rather tough it out with one year of Drew.

This is an awful lot of whining for a one year contract.   And anyone who thinks Drew is going to hit exactly as he has all year is just plain stupid.  All you wanna ba GMs know wevery player has hot and cold stretches, and players who miss ST never start hot.  

And given how long it took Morneau and Bay to come back from their concussions, I would say the fact that Drew is playing at all is actually somehwat impressive.

So can we stop with the "I have never seen any player have 20 bad at-bats before" complaints?  You are not making yourself look as astute as you think you are...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to notin's comment:

Marco Scutaro signed a 3 year $20mill deal with the Giants at age 37.  I'd rather tough it out with one year of Drew.

This is an awful lot of whining for a one year contract.   And anyone who thinks Drew is going to hit exactly as he has all year is just plain stupid.  All you wanna ba GMs know wevery player has hot and cold stretches, and players who miss ST never start hot.  

And given how long it took Morneau and Bay to come back from their concussions, I would say the fact that Drew is playing at all is actually somehwat impressive.

So can we stop with the "I have never seen any player have 20 bad at-bats before" complaints?  You are not making yourself look as astute as you think you are...

A+ post like usual. A voice of reason amongst the rabble of fools...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to notin's comment:

LOL ain't it the truth.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

I don't understand the animosity toward Drew - he's obviously healthy based on his defense.  When healthy, he's proven he can be a .800 OPS guy which is amazing for a SS.  And when he's at his worst, he's still got .35 OPS over Iglesias's career best AAA numbers.  How many runs do you really think Iglesias saves you over Drew over the course of the year?  5? 10?  He's fun to watch, but keep in mind these spectacular plays are preventing singles.  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

-I haven't seen any balls so far that he hasn't gotten to that Iggy would  have or Ciriaco.

So, you haven't seen any balls go just out of Drew's reach since he got the SS job?

Interesting.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

-I haven't seen any balls so far that he hasn't gotten to that Iggy would  have or Ciriaco.

So, you haven't seen any balls go just out of Drew's reach since he got the SS job?

Interesting.

TBH me neither.. no plays that have jumped out at me where a ball barely got past Drew that i would think "Iggy would have gotten that". I don't miss many plays either because anytime a ball comes to Drew we like to joke and say "would Iggy have made that play" regardless of how routine it is.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from igotgyroballs. Show igotgyroballs's posts

Iglesias would have saved us two runs there

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from igotgyroballs. Show igotgyroballs's posts

Iglesias would haved saved us two runs there

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

the SDII era will be over soon....