Until He Shows He Can Get Guys Out, Hanrahan Should Not Pitch in Any Close Games

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Until He Shows He Can Get Guys Out, Hanrahan Should Not Pitch in Any Close Games

I see nothing special with this guy. He should have to pitch his way back in low leverage situations in order to merit tight game situations. He's been bad.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Re: Until He Shows He Can Get Guys Out, Hanrahan Should Not Pitch in Any Close Games

I'm not ready to give up on Hanrahan yet.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

Re: Until He Shows He Can Get Guys Out, Hanrahan Should Not Pitch in Any Close Games

ADG seems to be as frustrated by our 1st place status as softy....

good thing there is a whipping post.

Our depth of relief pitching is good, as long as Farrel doesn't let anyone get attached to pitching a particular inning we should be in pretty good shape...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from stillallbost08. Show stillallbost08's posts

In response to softlaw2's comment:

Gagne, Part II. This guy's a bum. They should package he and Carp, while Carp's tiny sample makes him look different than the career bum that he is.

what about your boy WMB?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Didn't he have 3 saves before blowing one and not pitching good then went on DL  now is back and gave up one run.  One 5 run game and only 2 more  runs in others how bad can that be????

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I agree that they should work him in Non-pressure/non-save situations. That basically means any close games. I wouldnt give up on him just yet, but keep him away from situations like last night for now.

Funny thing with him, is when hes in a save situation his performance is better than a non save one. Either way I hope he gets it together for the Sox sake.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

In response to JimfromFlorida's comment:

Didn't he have 3 saves before blowing one and not pitching good then went on DL  now is back and gave up one run.  One 5 run game and only 2 more  runs in others how bad can that be????

in 5/23 innings he has given up 8 hits and 5 walks.

You tell me how bad that is...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

I agree that they should work him in Non-pressure/non-save situations. That basically means any close games. I wouldnt give up on him just yet, but keep him away from situations like last night for now.

Funny thing with him, is when hes in a save situation his performance is better than a non save one. Either way I hope he gets it together for the Sox sake.

Seems like a lot of closers have that problem.

Papelbon had trouble getting amped up for non-save situations.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Seems like a lot of closers have that problem.

Papelbon had trouble getting amped up for non-save situations.

One one hand, I dont want him in a save situation right now because I dont trust him. On the other hand Im not sure he can perform unless hes IN a save situation.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

Historically Bailey is a much better pitcher than Hanrahan. Last year was an aberration.  Hopefully Hanrahan gets it together and can contribute, but even with a small sample size he is pitching much too badly to close, or even set up right now.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to 37stories' comment:

Historically Bailey is a much better pitcher than Hanrahan. Last year was an aberration.  Hopefully Hanrahan gets it together and can contribute, but even with a small sample size he is pitching much too badly to close, or even set up right now.

I agree. Ive alway thought Bailey was the better closer and honestly didnt understand the move. Hopefully he can get it together. At least Farrell is smart enough to not give him the job back because he realizes who the better closer is.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE
    3 of 4 saves 1 blown save

they have won 5 of the 7 he has been in one was the 5run game. He has given up 3 hits in games he has saved.

so is it as bad as what people really think or is it more of a dislike for the player because of the one game

results count

Bailey is 5 of 6 saves yes with better numbers but still has one BS

BTW one bad inning for a RP can blow up his ERA quickly

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE

they have won 5 of the 7 he has been in one was the 5run game. He has given up 3 hits in games he has saved.

so is it as bad as what people really think or is it more of a dislike for the player because of the one game

results count

I dont dislike Hanrahan but 13 baserunners in 5 innings is extremely bad.

I do know it is a small sample size and I get he could turn it around.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE

results count

I dont dislike Hanrahan but 13 baserunners in 5 innings is extremely bad.

I do know it is a small sample size and I get he could turn it around.

unfortunately with closers we have to deal with small sample sizes to some degree and hanrahans numbers havent been that good as far as closers go. Yes, hes got some saves, but not without a lot of drama involved.

I dont dislike Hanny either, but I think Bailey is/was the batter choice.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to LloydDobler's comment:

Not yet, but soon. We cannot afford to have a Gagne part 2 out there. If he continues to surrender late inning runs on a regular basis he should be handed his walking papers, just like Aceves was sent packing for incompetence. There are other alternatives.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

In response to LloydDobler's comment:

Not yet, but soon. We cannot afford to have a Gagne part 2 out there. If he continues to surrender late inning runs on a regular basis he should be handed his walking papers, just like Aceves was sent packing for incompetence. There are other alternatives.

4 bad games by a relief pitcher and your on the hot seat?

Wow, I'm not sure there would be any relief pitchers left in MLB, if that was the criteria.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

I would put him on a short leash until he proves he can get outs.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from patrickford. Show patrickford's posts

A reliever not only shouldn't walk people, a reliever should just throw strike, after strike, after strike. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

Way way to early to give up him.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

In response to stan17's comment:

Way way to early to give up him.

No one is "giving up" on him.  People are just wanting him to pitch well before he gets in close gsmes.

Seems logical to me.