Update on the Napoli signing hold up

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Update on the Napoli signing hold up

From Foxsports.com:

It has been 18 days since the Red Sox reached agreement with free agent Mike Napoli on a three-year, $39 million free-agent contract, but the deal still is not official.

As the delay continues, the questions only mount:

Just how bad is Napoli’s condition?

Napoli, sources say, has a problem with one of his hips – a problem that led the Seattle Marinersto back off their pursuit of him, as reported by Jim Duquette of MLB Network Radio and confirmed by a source, and also may have concerned his previous team, the Texas Rangers.

The Red Sox, in the words of general manager Ben Cherington, are “working through some issues” in trying to finalize Napoli’s deal. As best as anyone can tell, that means that problems surfaced during Napoli’s physical, and the Red Sox are trying to rework his contract.

In the end, Napoli may prove to be fine, just as retired outfielder J.D. Drew proved to be fine after going through a similar experience with the Red Sox. Drew waited 52 days to finalize a five-year, $70 million free-agent contract with the Sox between the 2006 and ’07 seasons.

The Red Sox, concerned about Drew’s surgically repaired right shoulder, inserted language into his contract saying they could void the fourth and fifth years if he missed time due to the pre-existing condition in the third and fourth seasons.

As it turned out, Drew’s right shoulder never was a problem, and the Sox executed all five years of his contract. Napoli’s hip, though, could be a different story. One rival agent asks: If Napoli’s condition is serious – say, similar to Alex Rodriguez’s – why would the Sox risk even going through with his contract?

The Sox apparently do not think Napoli’s condition is that serious; otherwise, they probably would have backed out by now. The more pertinent question is what Napoli’s revised deal will look like: Will it simply include protective language, as Drew’s did, or will the term be reduced to two years or even one?

Why don’t the Red Sox just sign another free agent?

Fair question, considering that both Nick Swisher and Adam LaRoche remain on the open market, and the Sox could sign either to play the position they intended for Napoli, first base.

Swisher and LaRoche, however, both received qualifying offers from their previous clubs, and so signing either would cost the Sox a second-round pick. Napoli did not receive a qualifying offer. Nor did any other free agent the Red Sox have signed.

Clearly, the team wants to keep its picks.

What is Napoli’s recourse?

Technically, Napoli is still a free agent, able to cut another deal with another team. Realistically, no team will touch him as he remains in limbo, at least not at the terms he negotiated with the Red Sox.

Thus, Napoli is effectively at the team’s mercy, though the Sox likely will be judicious with how they wield their leverage, ultimately wanting a happy player. Drew’s career in Boston proceeded without rancor after his negotiations, as did right-hander John Lackey’s.

The Red Sox negotiated protective language into Lackey’s five-year, $82.5 million free-agent contract in December 2009. The clause said that Lackey’s vesting option would turn into a team option if he missed a certain number of days with an elbow injury, and Lackey had Tommy John surgery after the 2011 season.

Some in the industry have speculated that the Red Sox experienced buyer’s remorse after agreeing with Napoli and pounced on the issue with his physical as a way to negotiate more favorable terms. However, a source who has been in touch with the players’ union said the union views the team as justified in its concern.

“The Red Sox cannot be faulted for their conduct here,” the source said.

Can the Red Sox still trade Jarrod Saltalamacchia?

It was not clear that the team ever wanted to trade Saltalamacchia, even after agreeing with Napoli and signing free-agent David Ross. The most obvious plan was for Napoli to play first base, Saltalamacchia and Ross to catch and Ryan Lavarnway to return to Triple-A.

If Napoli indeed has a serious hip condition, the Red Sox might not want him to catch at all, further increasing the team’s desire to keep Saltalamacchia. Ross, who turns 36 on March 19, has played more than 70 games in a season once in his career. Lavarnway, 25, is still unproven.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Strangeglove. Show Strangeglove's posts

Re: Update on the Napoli signing hold up

Hmmm. Need another 1B, other than Napoli, who won't forfeit a pic...Casey Kotchman? Carlos Lee?

Or, how about a trade of Bard Acceves and Gomez for the guy on the Mets? I think his name is Nick Evans (sorry, mind cramp on his name). Has a nice stick.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

Jack Clark available?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

I'm certain that Cherington will in the best interest of the team. Insist on the inclusion of language protecting them from Napoli missing significant time due to a pre-existing injury/condition. If Napoli and/or his agant balk, then let him walk. Pretty simple solution. That both side are still talking speaks to the level of the findings after the physical. If during the exam the Doctor's saw anything that appeared to be chronic or such that it was not a question of if but when the hip would deteriorate to such a degree that surgery was iminent they'd have already blown up the deal...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

The fact that they are still talking says to me that although there is an issue there, he can still play but not without  risk. If the players union is behind them then BC is now in the drivers seat. 2 years at the same price with a 3rd option year with protective language in it should be fine.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

"Clearly, the team wants to keep its picks." 

Clearly indeed. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Another over the hill DH for our team.... I hope they can work this deal out. Those 72 career at-bats in Fenway were really something special.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to emp9's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Clearly indeed. 

[/QUOTE]

FA is getting expensive, and its only going to get worse. With the new changes to FA compensation and the limitations on draft pick compensation, teams will have to develop on-going talent to keep within a certain budget or to gain certain value back in a trade. Teams should concentrate a lot on scouting and development to keep a consistent 90 win team year in and year out. Fill the holes with guys like we got, but not to the extent we did this year. It simply cost too much for the type of talent your getting without sacrificing the future in today's MLB. Unless it another "Manny type" deal of course. Young, no injury, big price but all in all worth the risk. Those just don't happen very often, with most teams locking up what they view as the prospects with best chance to succeed nowadays. Mix that with a couple smart trades and hope for the best.

Were lucky the Sox have this payroll. Unlike small market teams we can at least afford to field a competitive team. It may not be the top tier Guys that would require a long commitment at a very high cost, but they will still be considered good complimentary players for less years and a good fit for the organization as a whole.

Ben C stated his intentions this off season and has stuck to his plan so far. Still a couple months left to go and I'm pretty sure there's another deal to be made. Or not made. Not over yet.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Another over the hill DH for our team.... I hope they can work this deal out. Those 72 career at-bats in Fenway were really something special.

[/QUOTE]

Until they decide to release everything on his medicals to do with his injury (hip?) we can only guess whats going on. Im assuming with various medical opinions and the players union behind them on this one, The Sox are sitting in the drivers seat. Not to say they will take advantage of him, but come to some sort of fair agreement one way or the other.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Clearly indeed. 

[/QUOTE]

FA is getting expensive, and its only going to get worse. With the new changes to FA compensation and the limitations on draft pick compensation, teams will have to develop on-going talent to keep within a certain budget or to gain certain value back in a trade. Teams should concentrate a lot on scouting and development to keep a consistent 90 win team year in and year out. Fill the holes with guys like we got, but not to the extent we did this year. It simply cost too much for the type of talent your getting without sacrificing the future in today's MLB. Unless it another "Manny type" deal of course. Young, no injury, big price but all in all worth the risk. Those just don't happen very often, with most teams locking up what they view as the prospects with best chance to succeed nowadays. Mix that with a couple smart trades and hope for the best.

Were lucky the Sox have this payroll. Unlike small market teams we can at least afford to field a competitive team. It may not be the top tier Guys that would require a long commitment at a very high cost, but they will still be considered good complimentary players for less years and a good fit for the organization as a whole.

Ben C stated his intentions this off season and has stuck to his plan so far. Still a couple months left to go and I'm pretty sure there's another deal to be made. Or not made. Not over yet.

[/QUOTE]

I agree 100%. Sox haven't had this draft position in what, 20 years?! Plan A is and always was not to mess this up. I just find it funny that, here we are at 7 FA signings w/out giving up a pick, and people are finally seeing a pattern. ? Even though that 1st Rnd pick is protected, Sox have found nice value over the years and you have to give credit to their scouting. It seems to me to be their #1 strength. Does it require more patience? Yep. Plenty. I'm fine w/ that. Ultimately , the FA's signed this offseason 1) reflects more on the FA class than it does Ben Cherington 2) reflects where Sox prospects are at. Looks like Middlebrooks and Doubront could be mainstays from last year. I wouldnt call that a failure. We'll have to show some patience and see what next yr brings. The Red Sox are a hybrid And what brings w/ that is a little contradiction from time to time. As a fan I accept this, at times begrudgingly so. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from LeftyGrove. Show LeftyGrove's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Clearly indeed. 

[/QUOTE]

One of the most comprehensive and thoughtful posts I have seen in a long time. Reading this a few times, you get the calming sense that the actions taken now and their impact on the long term are very wise.  I know we all would like to win every year, but having been a fan since 1966, it took till 2004 to finally exhale and cheer.  I was one of those waiting to see what Ben and the leadership did, but as of now, I am content with the overall short term and longer term implications of signing the best within the money, retaining draft choices.

I think we have added some very good players with a good on field and clubhouse presence. Remember the mix for 2004? This group may not go all the way, but I think they will be very competitive and with a few breaks, they may contend for a playoff spot. If the quality Lester and Buch re-appear over the course of the entire season, and Lackey truly regains his pride and delivers innings and a strong competitive streak, Doubront continues to build over last year with more consistency and stamina we will be very competitive. I am not suggesting anything that is not impossible nor has been demonstrated in the past.

[/QUOTE]

I agree 100%. Sox haven't had this draft position in what, 20 years?! Plan A is and always was not to mess this up. I just find it funny that, here we are at 7 FA signings w/out giving up a pick, and people are finally seeing a pattern. ? Even though that 1st Rnd pick is protected, Sox have found nice value over the years and you have to give credit to their scouting. It seems to me to be their #1 strength. Does it require more patience? Yep. Plenty. I'm fine w/ that. Ultimately , the FA's signed this offseason 1) reflects more on the FA class than it does Ben Cherington 2) reflects where Sox prospects are at. Looks like Middlebrooks and Doubront could be mainstays from last year. I wouldnt call that a failure. We'll have to show some patience and see what next yr brings. The Red Sox are a hybrid And what brings w/ that is a little contradiction from time to time. As a fan I accept this, at times begrudgingly so. 

[/QUOTE]

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

napoli has to understand he's not going to get a better deal than the one the red sox are giving him..he's just like damage goods...even if he can play like he has.