Updated Scouting Report on Bryce Brentz by Bernie Pleskoff - MLB News Article

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: Updated Scouting Report on Bryce Brentz by Bernie Pleskoff - MLB News Article

In response to devildavid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Brentz is a RF'er anyway. Hes got a cannon for an arm and a power bat made for a corner OF spot.

WMB had/has K issues as well. I think K rates are overvalued anyway. Doesnt matter to me how you get out, your still out. Id almost rather a K sometimes than GIDP or something like that. Brentz OBP has been around .350-.360 throughout the minors, which tells me that although he has a lot of K's he still gets on base at a good clip. Better than WMB actually.

[/QUOTE]

I totally agree on the K issue, and it's hard to put too much stock in any minor league numbers.

[/QUOTE]

What if a man is on 3rd with less than two outs? An infield grounder or a long flyball can plate a run, a strikeout gets you nothing.

[/QUOTE]

We could go back and forth on the many scenarios. runners on 1st and 2nd and a GB results in a DP and 2 outs or a K resulting in 1.

I do understand your point DD and its valid, but I still think K rate is over valued. The kid has had a solid OBP throughout his pro career so it hasnt affected him getting on base.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: Updated Scouting Report on Bryce Brentz by Bernie Pleskoff - MLB News Article

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I've heard right now from a reliable source that Brentz is viewed more as .220/.280 guy with 15-20 HR average defense with an average to above average arm.  Unless he seriously improves his patients at the plate that sounds like a second division starter to me. 

[/QUOTE]

Ive not heard or read ANYTHING close to that Hugh. Can you provide a link? Even soxprospects.com has him as an everyday RF on a contending team. Solid defense with an above average arm.

Ive also seen him play since college. I dont see that at all...

You sure your not talking about someone else?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I've heard right now from a reliable source that Brentz is viewed more as .220/.280 guy with 15-20 HR average defense with an average to above average arm.  Unless he seriously improves his patients at the plate that sounds like a second division starter to me. 

[/QUOTE]

Ive not heard or read ANYTHING close to that Hugh. Can you provide a link? Even soxprospects.com has him as an everyday RF on a contending team. Solid defense with an above average arm.

[/QUOTE]

I just looked at his numbers and IMO his SLG and OBP are not high enough to justify the number of SO. I think the SO are a red flag as far as plate discipline. Both his OBP and SLG have come down as he advanced a level. His BA does indicate that when he makes contact he is a good hitter. Hard to say what his numbers would be at the major league level.

I'm still not convinced that Will Middlebrooks is the long term answer at 3b, despite his ability to hit for power. He is another hitter with plate discipline problems who strikes out a lot. I don't think that SO rate is overvalued. It can be a red flag.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

In response to Softlaw1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Reggie Jackson used to strike out a lot. It was a huge red flag.

[/QUOTE]

Reading is fundamental. I said it "can be" a red flag. Never said you don't look at other numbers as well. Dave Kingman also struck out a lot. Your argument from analogy is weak.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to devildavid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I just looked at his numbers and IMO his SLG and OBP are not high enough to justify the number of SO. I think the SO are a red flag as far as plate discipline. Both his OBP and SLG have come down as he advanced a level. His BA does indicate that when he makes contact he is a good hitter. Hard to say what his numbers would be at the major league level.

I'm still not convinced that Will Middlebrooks is the long term answer at 3b, despite his ability to hit for power. He is another hitter with plate discipline problems who strikes out a lot. I don't think that SO rate is overvalued. It can be a red flag.

[/QUOTE]

Yes it certainly can be DD. I dont think either will be perennial all stars, but believe both have a chance to be solid everyday ballplayers. An OBP of .350-.360 is very respectable along with a SLG around .500, so Im not sure why you dont think that is good enough. 

When BB advanced each level (primarily low A to high A)  he started off bad in high A due to making the adjustments which affected his overall OBP. But it was still .360ish when it was all said and done between both teams in 2011. I expected it to level out once he hit AA and AAA. a .414OBP wasnt realistic because he was far more advanced a player for low A (being in college 3 years) and .336 was a bit low for high A. His Portland numbers are closer to what you might get from him, which Id be fine with.

I worry more about WMB with his low OBP more than I do BB. It will be interesting to see how WMB performs without all the drama and injury after getting a good taste of MLB pitching in 2012.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I guess I can't post the link....but it was in the last podcast on SOXPROSPECTS.com if that helps.

It's a real long bit, but if you got the time and are a sox fan I think you'll enjoy the prospect talks.  I heard that from a scout, doesn't mean all scouts think that.

and Edithbunker I don't have Ben's contact information do you think you could send me over a number or perhaps a fax of where I can reach him????

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Honestly i don't think I know enough or have seen enough to have a strong opinion either way.  I'm just trying to point out that there isn't an across the board consensus that he will be a star.  I hope he is, I hope he pushes his ceiling higher and becomes a big power bat who can draw some walks and play solid D. 

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Ok so I don't know why I can't post it, but let me try again.

http://news.soxprospects.com/2012/12/soxprospectscom-podcast-28-year-end.html

I think my post before may have been confusing, and poorly written.  After going back and reading what I wrote it looks like I was implying that the what I said was the consensus in the front office.  I would have been better served saying that there are at least a few scouts out there who are not sold on him....there is some concern.  Then again he is still a prospect and all that is really saying is what we all really now about them.

They talk about this, and about Brentz, and all the other prospects.  It's very long but if you have some free time it's worth listening to this weekend if you're a prospect junkie.

If my link doesn't work again just go to the soxprospects.com website and on the homepage look on the left side.  Under "soxprospects headlines" you will see "soxprospects.com podcast #28" it's the last one there.

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Honestly i don't think I know enough or have seen enough to have a strong opinion either way.  I'm just trying to point out that there isn't an across the board consensus that he will be a star.  I hope he is, I hope he pushes his ceiling higher and becomes a big power bat who can draw some walks and play solid D. 

I dont think he will be a "star", but a very good solid MLB RF'er