UPDATE:Sox doubleheader-,2nd game ON NESN

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

UPDATE:Sox doubleheader-,2nd game ON NESN

I think it stinks we don't get to watch the 2nd game on TV tonight because ESPN wants to drive us all to watch the Braves/Reds game.ESPN is showing what it has become,a sports network that thinks it's more important than the games themselves.I think it's time for ESPN viewership to take a nosedive.I'm going to avoid watching it unless it's the only station carrying a Boston game.
    This is from NESN.com:

The Red Sox and Tigers will play a doubleheader on Sunday because their Saturday matchup was postponed.

The first game of the doubleheader is scheduled for 1:05 p.m. and will be televised on NESN. The second game, which is scheduled for 7:05 p.m., will not be televised.

NESN will only carry the first game of the doubleheader because of ESPN's Sunday night exclusivity restrictions.

NESN's coverage of the first game will begin at noon with Red Sox First Pitch.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jackyldo. Show jackyldo's posts

Re: Sox doubleheader-1st game on NESN,2nd game NO TV

Exclusivity   -- MLB is happy to take ESPN and Fox money  and those  organization have to sell  advertising  to pay the rights fees...  Don and Jerry   can catch an early flight and be home in bed  before the   2nd game ends..

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from stewartredsox. Show stewartredsox's posts

That suks. It's just like Fox on Saturdays. I was looking forward to seeing Beckett  kik some Tiger butt.

Jersey loves the Sox.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from esaslaw. Show esaslaw's posts

Of course, the Tigers could have agreed to an old fashioned two games for the price of one doubleheader, as in the days of yore.  (Channel 5 used to show "Home Run Derby" between the first and second game of a doubleheader---a Sunday and holiday tradition in many cities).  If they did that we could watch both games.  They want the two gates that separate admission games get, and are willing to blackout viewers not just in New England (why would they care about New Englanders) but Michigan.  The pub they get from tv surely outweighs whatever they make at the gate, so the decision to do a day-nighter is foolish on all accounts.  (I doubt the players---or the Players Associaiton---would object to the old fashioned regular doubleheader since it is a getaway day and nobody wants to be stll playing at 10).

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

uncool - unfair

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dskjold. Show dskjold's posts

I can understand the ESPN position, since the Sox-Tigers game wasn't on the schedule, but it's the Fox thing that gets me.  They broadcast at least two games each Saturday, and then impose a blackout regionally.  It would seem to me that they would get a larger audience if they were to make all games they broadcast on Saturday available nationally.

Since I'm on the West Coast, I don't get the Red Sox games, but I don't want to watch, say, the Cubs/Giants or worse, the Cards/Rockies, so I'm a lost viewer, and I suspect I'm not the only one.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikzor. Show mikzor's posts

Does anyone have any idea when the last time a Sox game wasnt televised SOMEWHERE?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdaytona. Show jimdaytona's posts

I am also pssed cause I can't see the  evening Sox game in my location. Although there are BB junkies who would watch any game we all know that BB interest is driven through regional interest + those of us who pay the 40.00 month to MLB to watch their favorite teams. Every single game on MLB TV is blacked out tonight. Why ESPN thinks those of us who subscribe to the MLB package would watch the Reds / Braves is beyond comprehension. It makes me wonder what % audience would watch that game, likely very low. Dumb sponsers, dumb ESPN, and dumb MLB. Can't those idiots solve this issue? 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

While I understand ESPN's contractual agreement to be the ONLY station carrying Sunday night games under ordinary circumstances, this goes beyond an ordinary circumstance.

I wouldn't watch the ESPN Sunday night baseball game now under any circumstances.  However, ESPN doesn't care that I won't be there.  They're more concerned about putting out a "product", any product, and telling baseball fans that if they're going to watch any baseball on Sunday Night they're going to watch ESPN's baseball. 

Isn't that in effect a "contractual monopoly"?  Or is that another of those things that Congress has excused MLB from because of their exemption from anti-trust laws?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALaGatorAL. Show ALaGatorAL's posts

Seems like a No Brainer to just include it on ESPN 2 With Don and Jerry as Guest Announcers !!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

Beckett vs Verlander not showing up on TV is just plain stupid.    

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from siestafiesta. Show siestafiesta's posts

It is what it is.

Fox and ESPN pay big money to MLB to have their exclusive slots on Sat and Sun.  Why would they then be OK with other games being shown??

I know it stinks, and I also want to see the game but that's how business works.  It's called a contractual obligation.

And you can't criticize the Tigers because the Sox would have done the same thing.  When's the last time they've had a double header that wasn't day / night??

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubsc. Show bubsc's posts

Call ESPN at 1-888-549-3776 to complain

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

In Response to Re: Sox doubleheader-1st game on NESN,2nd game NO TV:
    Posted by soxmeister

A-freakin'-men.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from cp124patriot. Show cp124patriot's posts

Call ESPN (Disney) and complain.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from cp124patriot. Show cp124patriot's posts

ESPN does not care about sports, just profits.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from cp124patriot. Show cp124patriot's posts

It is what it is. Fox and ESPN pay big money to MLB to have their exclusive slots on Sat and Sun.  Why would they then be OK with other games being shown?? I know it stinks, and I also want to see the game but that's how business works.  It's called a contractual obligation. And you can't criticize the Tigers because the Sox would have done the same thing.  When's the last time they've had a double header that wasn't day / night??
    Posted by siestafiesta

Its called corporate greed and giving a damn about the sports fan. ESPN/Disneys/ABC sucks.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from EricBenjamin. Show EricBenjamin's posts

In Response to Sox doubleheader-1st game on NESN,2nd game NO TV:
    I think it stinks we don't get to watch the 2nd game on TV tonight because ESPN wants to drive us all to watch the Braves/Reds game.ESPN is showing what it has become,a sports network that thinks it's more important than the games themselves.I think it's time for ESPN viewership to take a nosedive.I'm going to avoid watching it unless it's the only station carrying a Boston game. This is from NESN.com: The Red Sox and Tigers will play a doubleheader on Sunday because their Saturday matchup was postponed. The first game of the doubleheader is scheduled for 1:05 p.m. and will be televised on NESN. The second game, which is scheduled for 7:05 p.m., will not be televised. NESN will only carry the first game of the doubleheader because of ESPN's Sunday night exclusivity restrictions. NESN's coverage of the first game will begin at noon with Red Sox First Pitch .
    Posted by mrmojo1120

Maybe it's just a ripple on still water, but ESPN is wrong to do this and will not gain audience, just anger a bunch of Sox and Tigers fans. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jalvis. Show jalvis's posts

Posted by soxmeister

VERY stupid

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jsydla. Show jsydla's posts

So you can't even see the game in Boston?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

So you can't even see the game in Boston?
    Posted by jsydla

No,it's not televised anywhere.I called ESPN to complain and I hope more people do as well.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

As long as the Red Sox win both games today, I am fine.  :)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

You can blame ESPN and Fox for these things but blame also has to go to Bud Selig and MLB. They sell the exclusive rights for these games to Fox and ESPN.  It's always about the money. You pay plenty for the MLB Extra Innings package, then don't get to see all the games. To miss Beckett vs. Verlander is a real shame. Also, be wary of these free internet feeds; they can be loaded with viruses and other malware. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

1130 am

GordonEdes Gordon Edes
    NESN is attempting to have blackout lifted for Sunday night's game; we'll let you know where that stands as the day goes on
    7 minutes ago

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In Response to Re: Sox doubleheader-1st game on NESN,2nd game NO TV : No,it's not televised anywhere.I called ESPN to complain and I hope more people do as well.
    Posted by mrmojo1120
    Morning Mojo, that sucks...i'll never understand these TV skeds, but one thing with this doubledip being due to a rainout, would they have time to shift programming?...  

Sections
Shortcuts