Upon Bailey's return

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Upon Bailey's return

Should he get the closers job back? I say no way...Ive read some fans saying that when bailey returns then AA can go back to his original role in the pen. To me, that would be disastrous..especially if AA is still lights out like he is now..Dont fix whats not broken...Thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

Re: Upon Bailey's return

Ace is in a groove and if he continues this, I would say no. Bailey is a true closer, maybe have him set up Ace. However, if Bailey comes back healthy and Ace agrees to go back to middle relief, BobbyV may have no other choice. Its a good thing to have these kinds of decisions to make.

Lets just see how Bailey comes back, so the answer is: TBD

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mt200. Show Mt200's posts

Nope. Aceves stays as closer. Bailey hasn't earned anything here.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Bailey isnt going to get his closer job back.  Since Aceves have been doing very well, leave him there.  Bailey is more likely to be a set up man.  

But why we are worry about him if he is on 60 days DL????  He wont be back until late June or July.

If Boston is out of the playoff chase, then Bobby Valentine is more likely to use everyone to prepare for the next season.

For now Boston are doing well, dont mess it around by moving people around.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from fourrings. Show fourrings's posts

dont fix what isnt broken, leave Aceves alone

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Baileys not expected back until after the AS break, at the earliest. Things have a way of working themselves out and decisions are made for you. Regardless, it's a nice problem to have.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I realize AB wont be back for a while, but ive been reading some comments where some folks believe he should jump right back into the closers role upon his return...i just wanted to get some other opinions on the subject..I think Ace has def earned that spot, whether bailey was aquired for that position or not. he's thriving as a closer now, and something tells me if you take him out of that role just because an often injured bailey returns you could create more problems than not with the chemistry of that bullpen...IMHO, I think AA has what it takes to be a dominant close for a few years and taking him out of that role just because AB is back would be a mistake..

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Definitely.  Make Bailey the closer.  Better yet, move Melancon back up and make him the closer.  Actual performance during the season should count for nothing.  It's what you did last year that counts. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from harv53. Show harv53's posts

We will not see Bailey take the mound this year.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

Ace should stay as the Closer....he has the three thingss that make many a great closer.....1)good stuff......2) seemingly a very short term Memory......3)he is slightly crazy......or in his case a little more than slightly.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

Bailey will eventually get closer role, Aceves will go back to what he does best, being a guy who can give you two or three innings on a consistent basis.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In Response to Upon Bailey's return:
    Should he get the closers job back? I say no way...Ive read some fans saying that when bailey returns then AA can go back to his original role in the pen. To me, that would be disastrous..especially if AA is still lights out like he is now..Dont fix whats not broken...Thoughts?
    Posted by southpaw777

No, not particularly. Aceves is settled into that role. I think that having Bailey around will SPELL Aceves in the second half, and defray the work load he's carried in the first half so that both will be fresh at the end of the year. But I also don't think it's a good idea to just toss Bailey in there. He's still an unknown quantity and has been hurt, better to ease him in in a setup role, and then perhaps a save now and then on days Ace needs rest. This strategy would also take a little of the pressure off Bailey, and allow him to better acclimate to the steam cooker environment around here.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In Response to Re: Upon Bailey's return:
    Posted by harv53

If you mean we won't see him come out onto the field, dig up the mound and carry it off on his back, I agree. If you're saying he won't pitch this year, I think you're trolling harv. What do you base that on?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Bailey will eventually get closer role, Aceves will go back to what he does best, being a guy who can give you two or three innings on a consistent basis.
    Posted by attic-dan

Possibly, but I don't think so.  What's great about Aceves is that he can give the Sox 2 innings when they are needed at the end of the game and still close.  Bailey hasn't closed in the AL East, so I would maybe give him the set up slot to see how he does. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Good discussion

Will be tough

But, first AB has to come back

And although ideally I would prefer AB close and Ace for mid relief in key situations but there is risk - what happens if Ace makes the AS team and then AB is made closer and w/ in his first 2-3 appearances he has a BS?  Lotta risk there....

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

I see  them sharing the load. Especially into August/Sept when days off are few. Bailey can not just be put back as the closer so he will be used as the 7/8inning guy with Padilla who has also done well recently. It will all come down to who is doing what and how good when he returns.  The way things have gone there will probably be another pitcher on the DL the week before he comes back. Same as Dice what will be the situation when he returns. Since it probably will be different from today!!!!!!!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from harv53. Show harv53's posts

In Response to Re: Upon Bailey's return : If you mean we won't see him come out onto the field, dig up the mound and carry it off on his back, I agree. If you're saying he won't pitch this year, I think you're trolling harv. What do you base that on?
    Posted by TheExaminer

I just don't believe thumb surgery is something you recover from in 3 months, especially to pitch. I can pretty much guarantee a setback based on our track record.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In Response to Upon Bailey's return : No, not particularly. Aceves is settled into that role. I think that having Bailey around will SPELL Aceves in the second half, and defray the work load he's carried in the first half so that both will be fresh at the end of the year. But I also don't think it's a good idea to just toss Bailey in there. He's still an unknown quantity and has been hurt, better to ease him in in a setup role, and then perhaps a save now and then on days Ace needs rest. This strategy would also take a little of the pressure off Bailey, and allow him to better acclimate to the steam cooker environment around here.
    Posted by TheExaminer

The good thing about Ace is, from what we saw last year, he can throw a lot of innings and not get a tired arm...i agree that there will be times after hes thrown 2-3 days in a row when he shouldnt close a game..thats where i think bailey will be used...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mt200. Show Mt200's posts

Nobody should hand closer job to Bailey who had missed around 150 games since 2010.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Posted by harv53

Could be, harv. Initially, Bailey wasn't expected back until September, at the earliest. Although his recovery has been quicker than anticipated, he hasn't thrown since ST. If and when he returns, how effectively, may determine his role.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In Response to Re: Upon Bailey's return : I just don't believe thumb surgery is something you recover from in 3 months, especially to pitch. I can pretty much guarantee a setback based on our track record.
    Posted by harv53

With our track record you could be right on that. His thumb will be fine, then he'll feel something in his elbow and need TJ. Hopefully, he'll be able to come back and contribute. My general feeling is that he'll pitch, but never take full possession of the closer role that he was originally intended for this season. I could live with that if that's how it goes down.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In Response to Re: Upon Bailey's return : Could be, harv. Initially, Bailey wasn't expected back until September, at the earliest. Although his recovery has been quicker then anticipated, he hasn't thrown since ST. If and when he returns, how effectively, may determine his role.
    Posted by J-BAY

Where'd you hear that J? I've always heard he'd miss half the year, be back around the AS break or so.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In Response to Re: Upon Bailey's return : Where'd you hear that J? I've always heard he'd miss half the year, be back around the AS break or so.
    Posted by TheExaminer

After the surgery, said September, if not lost for the entire season. 5 month recovery. returning after the all star break is due to healing quicker than expected....or the fact Ace has been doing so wellWink

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxu571. Show redsoxu571's posts

Isn't it a bit premature to say "don't fix what isn't broken" when we're still many weeks away from this question needing an answer?

By then, odds are Aceves will have settled into a place in between his bad start and his awesome recent performances. If he's still THIS locked in by the time Bailey is 100% healthy, then I certainly agree it's better to keep the bullpen as it is.

However, small samples sizes being what they are, Aceves probably won't stay THIS good...whereas Bailey IS that good, all the time...just as long as he is healthy. So a healthy Bailey probably = the closer, and Aceves would be most valuable pitching 3-9 outs at a time anyways. But this would certainly be a good "problem" to have...

Sections
Shortcuts