US SOCCCER STAR ROBBIE ROGERS quits due to coming out of the closet, would baseball be DIFFERENT?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Re: US SOCCCER STAR ROBBIE ROGERS quits due to coming out of the closet, would baseball be DIFFERENT?

It's sad that prejudice still exists towards one's sexual orientation.  Who cares if someone is straight, gay or bi?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brickbat. Show Brickbat's posts

Re: US SOCCCER STAR ROBBIE ROGERS quits due to coming out of the closet, would baseball be DIFFERENT?

The first openly gay player in MLB would be taunted and harassed by fans and players of opposing teams, just as Jackie Robinson was. 

If the gay guy was on the Yankees, Sox fans would be merciless, and vice versa. If the gay guy was on any team and played in Philadelphia against the Phillies, God help him. Like Robinson, he would have to be a person of especially strong character.

After a while, and after more players came out, people would get used to it and just stop (mostly, there's still the occasional display of open racism out there in the stands).

Oh, here's something else that would happen: bigots would claim the gay guy(s) -- the guys getting haranged and mocked and thrown at -- were getting preferential treatment by umpires and other officials and have some sort of advantage. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to BostonProSportsLover's comment:

http://m.guardiannews.com/football/2013/mar/29/robbie-rogers-coming-out-gay

SEEMS SO weird to me that in the 21st century, some peeps still have gawds that make it impossible for them to think objectively or beyond religion. Gawd is ultimately beyond any one faith and belief system. that we have to lose such great men and athletes in all walks of life is a human tragedy. in 100 years we will look back at this like the salem witch trials or slavery. its an abomination to the human condition! of the 3 major sports, i have to agree with the ravens' Brendon Ayanbadejo, in that MLB is most likely to be the first sport  where a major player will ever come out. y? its the one major sport with the most least-pigmented players. look at the polls and reality... is what it is!

It isn't really related to religion.  Most religions would tell you that it is a sin but to respect the sinner.

This is more like racism where it's been passed down thru generations and is slowly dying out.  Kids at the age of 6 will call someone a f-----, or say 'that is so gay'.  They aren't being taught that in church.

And, FWIW, I think racism will linger long past gay-bashing, if just less overtly.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

I have lots of friends/family who are Christians...like all Italians I was raised Catholic and its pretty much ingrained in me (i havent been to mass in a while but no meat for me today) anyways we all know what the new testament was about and i simply ask this question to all the folks out there who are against gay marriage

can you quote me something directly from your savior about this "abomination?"

Jesus had a lot to say but as far as i know, never addressed the entire topic once...

not that this matters in refernce to our govt since we have no religious basis for our laws and protection against church/state theocracy...

well...good for him I say - life is too short to live a closeted lie - be yourself and treat people as you want them to treat you....and GO JACKIE BRADLEY!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

The memoir Going the Other Way by former major leaguer Billy Bean (not the Oakland GM) is an interesting read about the experiences of a gay baseball player:

http://www.billybean.com/book.asp

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

Whoa, slow down people. Scalia is still trying to change the clock on his VCR. 

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In response to emp9's comment:

Whoa, slow down people. Scalia is still trying to change the clock on his VCR. 

might be the post of the year...thanks!

Sections
Shortcuts