V-Mart's Defense

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Re: V-Mart's Defense

In Response to V-Mart's Defense:
    [QUOTE]Now that we have two catcher's that can't hit or play defense, how bad was Victor Martinez really? Everyone said, he's 32 and can only catch for a couple more years, or see, Detrioit didn't even want him a FT catcher. Well I say this, if we had Vmart behind the plate at the start of this year, this team would not be 10-13.
    Posted by Alibiike[/QUOTE]

A statement that cannot be proven.

One that might be proven is that, if this team had VMart, they would not have Carl Crawford.  Right now, thats the best selling point.

I don't know if you have noticed but 1) Detroit clealry thns so mch of VMarts defense that Alex Avila has started aqll but 5 games at C and Martinez is on the DL. 

Martnez is also hitting .111 in his 5 starts at catcher.  He is hitting .250 / .292 / .417 overall.  This is akin to the production the Sox got last year out of Jon Van Every (. .211 / .286 / .421).  How exactly did Van Every make any noteworthy impact?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from markes8336. Show markes8336's posts

In Response to Re: V-Mart's Defense:
    [QUOTE]The only Ikes that I remember are Eisenhower and Ike Delock. I would expect Delock to be a Boston fan. Alibi sounds to me like he likes to be the pretender with an alibi. Who did Bob Veale play for?
    Posted by kbev97[/QUOTE]

Think I am missing the point of the question, but - Veale pitched for the Pirates for most of his career...finished up with the Sox.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaseballGM. Show BaseballGM's posts

Tough to make a case for wanting a $13M catcher with a .709 on the DL.

Even tougher to make a case for wanting a $20M LF'er with a .160 BA and a .202 OBP, particularly when there is already a scatback on the roster. 

But cases aren't made in April.

Do you even think before you post? No. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Good stuff Notin.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaseballGM. Show BaseballGM's posts

Nor can it be proven that Varitek has anything to do with pitching peformances. Marriage and divorce is the best way to put this non sequitur.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Scoiscia's must then be a true JUSTICE OF THE PEACE - as the .199 hitting Mathis was deployed so often, he was guilty of polygamy!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaseballGM. Show BaseballGM's posts

Hey, Harness, don't put down your astrology charts, but Salty has given up 2 runs in his last 2 pitching starts, while Varitek has given up 9 runs in his last 2 pitching starts. Maybe a separation, which Varitek has experience with.

Didn't you laugh when Varitek's handlers claimed he could play 2 or 3 more years?  Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!!!!!!!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

It must be the witching hours of the morning, when Not-Softlaw and Harness come to do battle. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Tek believes he can play 2-3 more years in his present capacity. Others in his orbit who work with him daily agree.
    And I tend to believe Buck, or Tek's personal trainer, 
    over UR artificial laughter.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]It must be the witching hours of the morning, when Not-Softlaw and Harness come to do battle. 
    Posted by Flapjack07[/QUOTE]

Enjoy the show, Flap. I do!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaseballGM. Show BaseballGM's posts

Tek believes he can play 2-3 more years in his present capacity

Does Tek and his handlers also believe he can hit zero and give up 9 runs in his last two starts? Do they also believe he can be so clumsy as to single handeldly fumble a pitch and change the momentum for winning a game to losing a game?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Well, fortunately, they have more vision than going by a two-game sample.
    As for catching Bard, I believe Bard was hit because he was missing location( he said himself he missed by 2-3 feet with Vlad). Then, with two on, Bard apparently forgot that signals change with a runner on second, and crossed up Tek.
    Of course, that's all you needed to fueled your retirement speech.

The actual passed ball resulted in an assist as it didn't get away far enough for the runner to score.

Pity Wake wasn't allowed to continue what he started in the 7th.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

[QUOTE]Tough to make a case for wanting a $13M catcher with a .709 on the DL.
    Posted by Joebreidey[/QUOTE]

Tough case to make that Vmart would have the same numbers or circumstance had he stayed in Boston, or J-Bay for that matter. Both of them wanted to stay and loved playing for the RS. IMO, both would have had much more success here.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

[QUOTE]I think ALIBIIKE is absolutely right when he said this team would not be 10-13 had VMART been retained. I have no doubt about it. It would likely be 7-16! Sorry Ike , but VMART had 9 months of familiarity with the pitchers, and yet his catching counterparts continuously and consistently got far more from the pitching staff. Furthermore, offensively, he started off slow for Boston last year. If you recall, he had 5 RBI's in his first 6 weeks, despite hitting 3rd.
    Posted by harness[/QUOTE]

I left an opening on purpose just to see if you would take the bait and as expected you didn't disappoint.
    Never understood why you have such a hard on for Vmart harness. You are obsessed with trashing him.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

[QUOTE]didn't crawford steal like 6 bases on him in one game? In Response to V-Mart's Defense :
    Posted by REDSOX-11[/QUOTE]

I think the pitcher might have something to do with that, don't you?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Nor can it be proven that Varitek has anything to do with pitching peformances...

Over 10 years of data must all be luck.

It's like saying there is no data to show Papi is a good hitter.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from niz-58. Show niz-58's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: V-Mart's Defense : Tough case to make that Vmart would have the same numbers or circumstance had he stayed in Boston, or J-Bay for that matter. Both of them wanted to stay and loved playing for the RS. IMO, both would have had much more success here.

Using that logic, Youk and Ellsbury must not care for playing in Boston, considering their starts this year.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan791. Show redsoxfan791's posts

In Response to V-Mart's Defense:
    [QUOTE]Now that we have two catcher's that can't hit or play defense, how bad was Victor Martinez really? Everyone said, he's 32 and can only catch for a couple more years, or see, Detrioit didn't even want him a FT catcher. Well I say this, if we had Vmart behind the plate at the start of this year, this team would not be 10-13.

As I mentioned in an article I wrote for Fire Brand last week, catcher defense (at least at the present time) is incredibly difficult to judge.  It's entirely subjective.  Still, I think there's a reason the Tigers made the decision to make him their primary DH on day 1.  I'm not going to say whether or not his game calling abilities affected the pitching staff because I don't know for sure--neither does anyone else on this board for that matter.  Still, based on his other measurable abilities, he didn't fare all that well.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan791. Show redsoxfan791's posts

It's like saying there is no data to show Papi is a good hitter.

With all due respect, your comparing apples to oranges.  The CERA data is inconclusive because it doesn't measure skill.  It measures outcome.  Plus, Varitek has caught for some pretty poor pitching staffs (2003, 2005, and 2006 come to mind) which no one ever seems to mention.  I'm not saying that he doesn't help the pitching staff, but I can't say to what extent.  Furthermore, I can't say to what extent his abilities are greater than Catcher B to plays for team Y.  Until we can answer these questions, our opinions on the matter are about as meaningful as a Pauly Shore movie.  You might absolutely be correct, but it wouldn't be the first time we were sure about something only to find out we were wrong.  Derek Jeter was considered to a great SS for years, and then we found out he wasn't.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaseballGM. Show BaseballGM's posts

It depends upon what data is being used. CERA isn't data, anymore than how Ortiz hits at 1 PM in a red uniform is "data".

Sections
Shortcuts