V-Tek is comming back!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from michaelsjr. Show michaelsjr's posts

Re: V-Tek is comming back!

Cut the man some slack.  He probably wants to play another year more for a little financial security than an ego thing.  I suspect he took a pounding in his divorce settlement.  Not suggesting the Red Sox organization should pony up for such reasons..just saying you shouldn't be so quick to kick him out the door knowing his history here.  He's forgotten more about calling games than many catchers will ever know.  Everybody understands he is past his prime - I doubt Varitek would argue that - doesn't mean he can't contribute and signing him would cost pocket change in the scheme of things.  Tired of hearing he didn't do his job as Captain because he didn't somehow make Beckett stop acting like a dirtbag.  Really?  What was Tek supposed to do?  Threaten to call his Mama?  How do you know he didn't try to talk to Beckett?  Varitek has always been a stand up team player and deserves respect rather than ridicule.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

That's great news to me. What a waste of knowledge if they just let him go. No matter how it turns out, I believe he'll always be a tremendous value to the Sox.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In Response to Re: V-Tek is comming back!:
    [QUOTE]That's great news to me. What a waste of knowledge if they just let him go. No matter how it turns out, I believe he'll always be a tremendous value to the Sox.
    Posted by kimsaysthis[/QUOTE]

Agree

No dictionary or thesaurus was used in the making of this post

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I don't see the value in adding Tek on the roster, regardless of how low his salary might be. Clearly Salty is a better offensive option, and Shop a better defensive option. Even in spring training, I can see a Posada-esque situation as it is clear that Tek does not have a role but is unwilling to go graciously. I can see Francona having a hard time parting ways with Tek, but with V now the manager now is the time is to make a clean break.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

[QUOTE]I don't see the value in adding Tek on the roster, regardless of how low his salary might be. Clearly Salty is a better offensive option, and Shop a better defensive option. Even in spring training, I can see a Posada-esque situation as it is clear that Tek does not have a role but is unwilling to go graciously. I can see Francona having a hard time parting ways with Tek, but with V now the manager now is the time is to make a clean break.
    Posted by rkarp[/QUOTE]

exactly...isnt this the reason why we have a new regime???? this move makes no sense...we already have two catchers who can hit and backstop better than 40 yr old Tek...retire with some dignity already....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

[QUOTE]I'll bet that the Italian community in Springfield is happy tonight. Free spaghetti and Chianti on the House.
    Posted by UticaClub[/QUOTE]

are you disrespecting the South End you old goat?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to "Re: V-Tek is comming back!": [QUOTE]That's great news to me. What a waste of knowledge if they just let him go. No matter how it turns out, I believe he'll always be a tremendous value to the Sox. Posted by kimsaysthis[/QUOTE] Kim, not wanting to "waste of knowledge" will cost a player on the 40 man roster. Assuming health to Salty and Shop, are you proposing the Sox carry 3 catchers on the roster? Would you prefer to bat Varitek for anyone on the roster in a pinch hitting situation? What happens if Lavarnway is raking after 25 games in Pawtucket? I would much prefer Lavarnway DH ing twice a week and pinch hitting over Varitek.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

He could have left with respect and instead Tek will be unceremoniously released sometime before camp breaks or by the all*star break.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: V-Tek is comming back! : Great move.Hope he stays with sox in some way. What a class act.Make a great coach or manager some day. Thank you V-Tec for all those years. Only those with a brain the size of a pea would have no clue. DO YOU UNDERSTAND PEA BRAIN ?????
    Posted by donrd4[/QUOTE]
     How was his captaincy last year "a class act"? The locker room falls apart and he refuses to support Francona. And anybody who disagrees with you, you call them juvenile names. That's classy too!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: V-Tek is comming back! : Agree No dictionary or thesaurus was used in the making of this post
    Posted by nhsteven[/QUOTE]

Still laughing at your sig line. I just had to say that. It IS funny. Kudos to you for having a sense of humor about it.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]In response to "Re: V-Tek is comming back!": Kim, not wanting to "waste of knowledge" will cost a player on the 40 man roster. Assuming health to Salty and Shop, are you proposing the Sox carry 3 catchers on the roster? Would you prefer to bat Varitek for anyone on the roster in a pinch hitting situation? What happens if Lavarnway is raking after 25 games in Pawtucket? I would much prefer Lavarnway DH ing twice a week and pinch hitting over Varitek.
    Posted by rkarp[/QUOTE]

It is just an invite. It doesn't necessarily mean anything. He can certainly help the younger catchers while he's there. He's a wealth of knowledge. If any of them become injured, I'm not sure how that plays out.

I love Lavarnway. I think he's going to be huge for the Sox. He would, in fact, fit that role better than Varitek.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrh1194. Show jrh1194's posts

[QUOTE]He hasn't accepted the invite yet (no contract)...it can't hurt to have him in camp, and it may be the beginning of his transition to coaching career, if that's the way he wants to go....
    Posted by jasko2248[/QUOTE]

I agree. His real value at this point would be as an addition to the coaching staff. He knows the game very well and could be a big help working with the catchers and young players in general.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: V-Tek is comming back! : Roy why do you continue to insist that no one knew what was going on in september??? your own beloved manager called out his entire team for not supporting him or each other....the players were so miffed about the hurricane game that they had to be babied and bribed with $300 headphones during the heat of the pennant race...why is this not pertinent or reflective of the captain and the most senior member on the team????  they had an epic collapse and the individual performances of both veterans was terrible...Wake won 1 game in the last two months and as Seabeachfred pointed out, Tek batted .077 and left over a dozen men stranded in scoring position...now you want to invite them to camp...and cut them??? you really think those two would agree to go to spring training without knowing if they will be part of the team or not???? if you invite them, they will be on the roster and they will be making us a weaker, slower, older, and less successful team... and if they do get cut, imagine the howls from folks on this board and in soxland for bouncing these veteran heroes so unceremoniously....is that really worth it??? hardly
    Posted by georom4[/QUOTE]

From Carfardo's article today...http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2012/01/15/red_sox_catching_prospect_ryan_lavarnway_could_hit_it_big/?page=full

13. The Jason Varitek situation is awkward. It’s hard for him to accept just an invitation to spring training. If he doesn’t make it, the team is put in the tough position of having to release a mainstay. Varitek could probably hook on elsewhere, but like his Yankee counterpart, Jorge Posada, retirement might be the better way to go. But that’s Varitek’s call.

once again...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

I think that Tek and Wake should retire and have stated that opinion before but I'm not going to repeat it ten times a day. We need to encourage more threads on more topics.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

[QUOTE]I think that Tek and Wake should retire and have stated that opinion before but I'm not going to repeat it ten times a day. We need to encourage more threads on more topics.
    Posted by UticaClub[/QUOTE]

Pike, why do you worry about thread diversity??? The beauty of the internet is it is not the RMV where everyone must get in one huge line and serve their masters...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

[QUOTE]It is exactly what the Yanks did with Bernie Williams. I believe the expectations are probably that V-Tek will not accept and retire, just like Bernie.
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]
    Don't act like it was graceful. He said he wouldn't take a minor league contract, which Torre took to the press begging him to accept, then in May/June they really could have used him and he would have gotten some serious AB's but because of the spring the Yankees refused to bring him back. I remember Kay talking about you can't travel from Westchester to the Bronx without going through Tampa. He never retired, he waited until MLB declared him retired.