Valentine hasn't been that controversial --- Bradford WEEI

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from 6k42lt913c. Show 6k42lt913c's posts

Valentine hasn't been that controversial --- Bradford WEEI

VALENTINE HASN'T BEEN AS CONTROVERSIAL AS SOME MIGHT BELIEVE

Every time the manager says anything about any player following a game, it has been dissected and analyzed by those waiting for the Bobby V clubhouse tornado. Too many times, however, there simply hasn't been as much to the comments as many are leading you to believe.

Examples …

Saying Mark Melancon's outing was highlighted by him backing up the bases. The next day, the reliever clarified that he had planted that joke in Valentine's head, so when the manager was asked about the performance it was on the tip of his tongue. The criticism regarding Valentine's execution should be centered around his inability to identify that it was the reliever's joke, not his.

Calling out Iglesias for missing a sign. As much as the manager has praised his young shortstop, it was baffling that people used this as an example of Valentine being too harsh. This was simply an example of how his mind works after games. He is like a golfer going through his round, verbalizing the instant recall he had regarding the actions of the day.

Wanting Bard to throw more changeups. There was nothing wrong with Valentine explaining that he hoped his pitcher threw more changeups, but where the problem came was him not communicating that with Bard prior to explaining that to the media. The next day, the hurler had a perfectly logical explanation for his approach, one that Valentine could have been able to articulate while offering his analysis if a quick dugout conversation was had.

Besides the inevitable uneasiness that comes with change, the only legitimate concern that has emanated from Valentine's style is the potential need for players to constantly answer questions about the manager's off-the-cuff analysis. It might be tolerable now, but over the course of a season it is a responsibility most players don't want added to their days. It was one of the traits of Terry Francona's managing style that his players enjoyed immensely.

The true judgment in how Valentine's managing style will manifest itself in the clubhouse won't come until the first regular-season streak, not after a 10th-inning walk-off loss in Dunedin.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Re: Valentine hasn't been that controversial --- Bradford WEEI

I don't think he's controversial at all.  I was a big Francona booster, but think it was time for a new face. 

Valentine is very different, but so far I see nothing to complain about.  He clearly loves being back in MLB.  I think he went out of his way in the offseason to go talk to and connect with players.  I think he wanted Iglesias at SS and Bard in the bullpen, but can live with what happened, especially when Aviles has played so well in ST and Bard has shown some potential as a starter.  Besides, things can change. 

Right now he has a pretty good lineup and probably good starting pitching.  But the bullpen is troublesome.  And injuries are always just around the corner.  I am sure he is benefitting from a having a bunch of players who want to put 2011 behind them, but wanting and doing are not always connected. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

I agree.... However, you are starting too many posts about this !!!!Cool

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Bradford is in the team's pocket. Watch all year as he writes nothing controversial, and tries to dispute anything that is.

He is anything but arbitrary.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TBINFL. Show TBINFL's posts

LOL....

The very fact that this is being posted during spring training shows you how much of a blowhard bubby v is.

This is just the tip of the iceburg, you guys don't even know what you have in store..........

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 6k42lt913c. Show 6k42lt913c's posts

In Response to Re: Valentine hasn't been that controversial --- Bradford WEEI:
    [QUOTE]Bradford is in the team's pocket. Watch all year as he writes nothing controversial, and tries to dispute anything that is. He is anything but arbitrary.
    Posted by ma6dragon9[/QUOTE]

Are you saying that you prefer CHB instead of Bradford since CHB is controversial and uses his license to write opinions based on nothing but blind speculation. Doesn't most of the forum despise CHB because of this? Why would anyone prefer controversy that is not backed up with facts. I find Bradford to be a fresh breeze off the ocean that freshens the air that others Boston writers have polluted with innuendo, rumors, speculation, and sensationalism. You seem to thrive on that while those who want the truth do not. Let the forum read the truth for a change,

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TBINFL. Show TBINFL's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Valentine hasn't been that controversial --- Bradford WEEI : Are you saying that you prefer CHB instead of Bradford since CHB is controversial and uses his license to write opinions based on nothing but blind speculation. Doesn't most of the forum despise CHB because of this? Why would anyone prefer controversy that is not backed up with facts. I find Bradford to be a fresh breeze off the ocean that freshens the air that others Boston writers have polluted with innuendo, rumors, speculation, and sensationalism. You seem to thrive on that while those who want the truth do not. Let the forum read the truth for a change,
    Posted by 6k42lt913c[/QUOTE]

Something smells FISHY!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 6k42lt913c. Show 6k42lt913c's posts

I agree with you. This Ma6Dragon guy is putting us on. His definition of controversy is in his mind only.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TBINFL. Show TBINFL's posts

[QUOTE]I agree with you. This Ma6Dragon guy is putting us on. His definition of controversy is in his mind only.
    Posted by 6k42lt913c[/QUOTE]

I meant you, kimpikesaysthis.

Nice try though. (not really)

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

pike
    calzone65
    UticaClub
    Rutland76
    lowelll
    Ft.Meade
    LadyLake
    Melnick
    WaldoBelfast
    BeaconHill
    NatickNed
    ChrisHouse
    Kbev
    pollyanna
    nuncirom
    pawsoxphil
    Dangerfeld
    pike2
    Your-Echo (one of my favorites)
    bambinobabe
    NHBALLFAN
    silversteinsox
    losmedialoco
    6k42lt913c

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TBINFL. Show TBINFL's posts

[QUOTE]pike calzone65 UticaClub Rutland76 lowelll Ft.Meade LadyLake Melnick WaldoBelfast BeaconHill NatickNed ChrisHouse Kbev pollyanna nuncirom pawsoxphil Dangerfeld pike2 Your-Echo ( one of my favorites ) bambinobabe NHBALLFAN silversteinsox losmedialoco 6k42lt913c
    Posted by EnchiladaT[/QUOTE]

The list just continues to grow......

Sections
Shortcuts