Valentine: Sox not worried about Yanks' big moves

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Re: Valentine: Sox not worried about Yanks' big moves

C'mon.  While it is a big question mark as to whether the Sox will have enough decent starting pitching to compete at this point, Bobby certainly has a point that the Yankees haven't exactly locked things up.  Kuroda was an innings eater in the pitcher's wet dream of the NL West.  Not sure what that translates to in the AL East.  There is a reason Ben C. was reluctant to throw down for him.  Sure, I woulda liked to see him in a Sox uni.  But, it is entirely possible he gets knocked around up here.  As for Pineda, any time you can get a young arm with his sky-high ceiling, that is a great thing.  Well done Yankees.  But, this kid still has a lot to learn and he now has to learn it the hard way.  The Yankees got 2 great things out ofthese moves:  1. take pressure of of Hughes, 2. make Burnett irrelevant.  And, that is important.  Well done.  But, Kuroda and Pineda do not a pennant guarante, by any stretch of the imagination.  From the prespective of facing these guys, I look forward to the Sox left-heavy mashers getting up against these guys.  We shall see what is what.  

Not saying the Sox do not have huge question marks.  And Kuroda and Pineda do make things exciting.  But, I am just not sure that the Yankees are significantly better with these two guys than with the surprise Colon/Garcia ste-up of 2011.  We shall see.  Really looking forward to the season.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

Good Moves by Cashman on paper. But before Yankee fans start doing back flips should consider these stats:
    vs. Red Sox [1start]  4.1 ip 14.54 era 0-1 record 8 hits 7 runs .381 avg
     or dig deeper
    Era vs.
    Bos 14.54                 MIN  1.64
    LAA 12.6                   Bal   2.77
    Tor  5.3                    OAK  2.00
    Tex 4.74                   SD    0.00
    NYY 5.4                    KC    2.57
    ATL 5.68

Looking at the numbers it clear that Pineda was great against the weaker hitting teams and had trouble w/ good hitting teams. As Valentine said the M's saw him all year and traded him, maybe these splits had something to do w/ it. As for Yanks other signing Kuroda, would have loved him for RS, but he's nothing more than 4-5 guy in AL East, another guy who might have difficulty in a hitters park vs. pitchers park [Dodger Stadium] he'll pitch to a 4.5+ era in AL East. On paper these look like great trades but there are definately some ?'s to these moves. Or as RS fan can hope not as good as they look on paper. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PhilTheAce. Show PhilTheAce's posts

I guess he's gonna downplay the next trade that seems to be hot right now, Hughes to KC for Billy Butler. I understand games aren't won on paper but Bobby V is talkin a whole lot for a guy who hasn't managed a US baseball team in the last decade and who has never won a ring. Comes off as very Rex Ryan-like, just sayin'.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

In Response to Re: Valentine: Sox not worried about Yanks' big moves:
    C'mon.  While it is a big question mark as to whether the Sox will have enough decent starting pitching to compete at this point, Bobby certainly has a point that the Yankees haven't exactly locked things up.  Kuroda was an innings eater in the pitcher's wet dream of the NL West.  Not sure what that translates to in the AL East.  There is a reason Ben C. was reluctant to throw down for him.  Sure, I woulda liked to see him in a Sox uni.  But, it is entirely possible he gets knocked around up here.  As for Pineda, any time you can get a young arm with his sky-high ceiling, that is a great thing.  Well done Yankees.  But, this kid still has a lot to learn and he now has to learn it the hard way.  The Yankees got 2 great things out ofthese moves:  1. take pressure of of Hughes, 2. make Burnett irrelevant.  And, that is important.  Well done.  But, Kuroda and Pineda do not a pennant guarante, by any stretch of the imagination.  From the prespective of facing these guys, I look forward to the Sox left-heavy mashers getting up against these guys.  We shall see what is what.   Not saying the Sox do not have huge question marks.  And Kuroda and Pineda do make things exciting.  But, I am just not sure that the Yankees are significantly better with these two guys than with the surprise Colon/Garcia ste-up of 2011.  We shall see.  Really looking forward to the season.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus

If I were a Yankees fan, I would be very pleased with the recent moves.  The Yankees are now the clear favorites, on paper of course,  for the division, IMO.

That said, the offseason isn't finished yet, and even if it were, it remains to be seen how Kuroda and Pineda will perform in the AL East.

I would like for the Sox to add a solid #4 pitcher, but I am confident with the team we currently have, if they can stay healthy.  I certainly am not ready to concede the division to the Yankees or to call our season over in January.

Then again, I have often been referred to as a Pollyanna Pinkhat.   ;-)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

Well said Spaceman on Burnett being irrelevant this year. So is Lackey. Yet haven't seen many Yankee posters rating Burnett's performance as being Lackluster. Does this put Burnett into the EE Hall of Shame along with Pavano, Igawa, and many others? If the forum is homogenous like Camelwalk says it is then where has the Burnett bashing been?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

It is hard to judge on whether the Yankees made good moves or not. On the paper, Yankees may looks good.  But remember the Yankees had simular starting pitchers in the past 10 something years such as Orlando Hernandez, Jaret Wright, Vasquez, Clemens (later on in the 2000's), Pavano, etc in the past as well they currently have Burkett who all have struggled in the playoff or in the regular season.  Reason is that they are all right-handed pitchers.  The Yankees may win alot of games against lower payroll teams during the regular season like they have alway do due the Yankees have a better back end starting rotation than these teams.  But when the Yankees face AL East teams except maybe the Orioles, they may struggle a bit.  Definitely against a heavily left-handed line up Boston Red Sox team.

Should I worry about the Yankees.  Probably not.  Like Valentine said, just worry about Boston and worry about winnng games against all opponents, not just the Yankees. 

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Perhaps, but you're wrong about  Orlando Hernandez, 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

I never get excited about any moves until October of the following year. Only then can I tell if they paid off.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Perhaps, but you're wrong about  Orlando Hernandez, 
    Posted by nhsteven

I could be, but in his first four years with the yankees, he helped the Yankees alot. That is because the Yankees were so loaded with their starting pitchings by having guys like Jimmy Key to David Well to Andy Pettitte to Roger Clemens to many other pitchers.  Plus their bullpen were so solid.  Then after the 2000 season, Hernandez started to fall apart.  He have never won more than 10 games a season for either Yankees team or another team.  Also he lost more post season games than he won.  He was like 8-0 from 1998-2000 while he went 1-2 in his last 8 starts.  So I am talking about the 2000's of the Yankees team

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In Response to Re: Valentine: Sox not worried about Yanks' big moves : I could be, but in his first four years with the yankees, he helped the Yankees alot. That is because the Yankees were so loaded with their starting pitchings by having guys like Jimmy Key to David Well to Andy Pettitte to Roger Clemens to many other pitchers.  Plus their bullpen were so solid.  Then after the 2000 season, Hernandez started to fall apart.  He have never won more than 10 games a season for either Yankees team or another team.  Also he lost more post season games than he won.  He was like 8-0 from 1998-2000 while he went 1-2 in his last 8 starts.  So I am talking about the 2000's of the Yankees team
    Posted by GoUconn13

Does this make any sense?  And, IMO, he was instrumental in those 4 rings. He is considered to be one of the greatest PS pitchers in history, right up there with Ford, Rivera, Morris, and Schilling. Of course, you can justify anything; Perhaps Babe Ruth didn't help win those championships either, because the rest of the team was so good.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Year

Tm

Lg

Series

Rslt

Opp

W

L

W-L%

ERA

NYY

AL

ALCS

W

CLE

NYY

AL

WS

W

SDP

NYY

AL

ALDS

W

TEX

NYY

AL

ALCS

W

BOS

NYY

AL

WS

W

ATL

NYY

AL

ALDS

W

OAK

NYY

AL

ALCS

W

SEA

NYY

AL

WS

W

NYM

NYY

AL

ALDS

W

OAK

NYY

AL

ALCS

W

SEA

NYY

AL

WS

L

ARI

NYY

AL

ALDS

L

ANA

NYY

AL

ALCS

L

BOS

CHW

AL

ALDS

W

BOS

CHW

AL

WS

W

HOU

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

I think as Sox fans the one thing we have learned over the years is that if the Yanks make a move...the Sox tend to counter that move somehow.  I look for them to sign Oswalt and then go after a RF hitter before ST.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

The kid have great stuff, and I first thought of the movie "The Scout". Talent doesnt mean you can handle a big market team IE NYY or RED Sox. You have to have the mental makeup, which more and more is becomming a factor in if a player can succeed with a big market team...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

In Response to Re: Valentine: Sox not worried about Yanks' big moves : Does this make any sense?  And, IMO, he was instrumental in those 4 rings. He is considered to be one of the greatest PS pitchers in history, right up there with Ford, Rivera, Morris, and Schilling. Of course, you can justify anything; Perhaps Babe Ruth didn't help win those championships either, because the rest of the team was so good.
    Posted by nhsteven

I agreed that he was one of the better post season pitcher of all time, but that was during the great Yankees's run from 1996 to 2000 (Hernandez came to the Yankees in 1998).  But since after that great run, Hernandez started to go on the decline due the Yankees's starting rotation became much weaker. What I am talking about is the "after the Yankees's dynasty years".  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Blogger3. Show Blogger3's posts

I like what Cashman did.  they need pitching, so he gets a couple of young arms.
    The Sox, instead, wait for Oswalt, 34 years old with back problems and a 91 mph fastball, and a bunch of other scruffs, looking to catch lightning in a bottle....good luck. The Yankees don't need offense, so they don't need Montero.  Jose Compos the other young pitcher with an e.r.a. under 2.5 per game, still in the minors, could develope also.  Pineda may be a bust, so might Montero, but given Cashman's choices, I'd go for the pitching!  I don't mind the Sox going on the cheap.  They went for it last year and it didn't work out.  So lets worry about the Pats now!

Sections
Shortcuts