Valentine to Beckett

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

Valentine to Beckett

Thank you Bobby. Too bad if you p*ssed him off.  He needs his @ss kicked all season long to make sure he does his job. If he gave me any trouble I would suspend him and send him home fine him the max per game and let him decide if he wants to grow up. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Re: Valentine to Beckett

Valentine said he called Beckett and after he told him how pissed he was for the critical comments about him pitching slowly during the ESPN Yankees game, they "had a good conversation"

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

To commentate a game and note that Beckett is pitching slowly does not seem to be editorial to me. It is fact. One only needs a stopwatch for proof. I fail to see why Beckett is mad for BV saying so when every fan watching the game had the same perception. Should Adrian Gonzalez become irate when a commentator states he he is a slow runner?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Beckett does pitch too slowly , plain and simple.  Valentine just telling the truth , but sometimes the truth hurts.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

If the team is winning at a good percentage for a 17M a year man, it is not a problem. If defense goes to sleep and team is not performing as well as other average defensive and offensive performances, it is a problem. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

In Response to Re: Valentine to Beckett:
    [QUOTE]Beckett does pitch too slowly , plain and simple.  Valentine just telling the truth , but sometimes the truth hurts.
    Posted by dgalehouse[/QUOTE]

Yup, I don't know why Beckett is so offended by this.  You pitch wicked slow Josh, we all know it.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

First, Bobby Valentine is the source for all information on this story. The conversation with Josh Beckett has no third party testimony. Bobby will say what he wishes and hence this relationship begins.

How Valentine handles the top of the rotation (Beckett being the most important) will determine the Sox success or failure this year. Still, no pitching coach? For a good reason.

"The pitching coach, I think of the three [vacancies] mentioned, is the most important, and we're probably going to take a lot of time to decide," Valentine said. "I don't mean months, because I need that guy yesterday to start talking about what we're going to do. But we're going to try to get the best possible guy, and it's going to take a while to weed through that. [General manager] Ben [Cherington] has a list, I have a list, we've been making calls, we've been setting up appointments."

It is said that past behaviours give us a glimpse at possible future behaviours. Beckett is known for coming back out of shape. He also is a known hothead. We hear of Valentine's conversation with Beckett but nothing of his conversations with Lester or Buchholz. Why do you suppose?

We did hear from Daniel Bard, he said he'd be willing to move to a starter role.

All the aforementioned has been orchestrated by the new manager.

As Beckett, Lester and Buchholz succeed so too do the Sox and their manager. They fail? It's a possible fourth place finish as the Jays will crawl over the Sox back and chase the frontrunners.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Guaranteed Contracts = Fat and Lazy

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

[QUOTE]Guaranteed Contracts = Fat and Lazy Posted by tcal2-[/QUOTE]

I have, since first seeing this photo of the Fatboy, attempted to forget I ever saw it.

I wonder if he will take Bobby Valentine to UNCLE Moe's Country Kitchen in Cotulla...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Beckett is way too slow, and it is bound to affect the fielders behind him. 

My rule would be:  take too much time on a pitch, and the batter goes to first.  Do it again, and you are out of the game.  The Sox routinely play 9 inning games that last four hours. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Valentine to Beckett:
    [QUOTE]Thank you Bobby. Too bad if you p*ssed him off.  He needs his @ss kicked all season long to make sure he does his job. If he gave me any trouble I would suspend him and send him home fine him the max per game and let him decide if he wants to grow up. 
    Posted by DaBlade[/QUOTE]

The Beckett situation scares the heck out of me for the following reasons:

#1 Josh was part of the Lackey drinking party, never owned up to it and a revengeful guy when upset.

#2 Josh doesn't take criticism or discipline well like his fellow Texan Lackey

If Tek is gone, Josh will probably be even more upset because he is not a Lee/Halladay type pitcher who can throw to anyone.

In other words, say we were to get a Garza type guy to help?  Josh could still end up being the train wreck in 2012, that Lackey was last season.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Valentine to Beckett : The Beckett situation scares the heck out of me for the following reasons: #1 Josh was part of the Lackey drinking party, never owned up to it and a revengeful guy when upset. #2 Josh doesn't take criticism or discipline well like his fellow Texan Lackey #2 If Tek is gone, Josh will probably be even more upset because he is not a Lee/Halladay type pitcher who can throw to anyone. In other words, say we were to get a Garza type guy to help?  Josh could still end up being the train wreck in 2012, that Lackey was last season.
    Posted by craze4sox[/QUOTE]

All good reasons for a train to wreck.

Given all of that? His choice to wreck or stay on the tracks. He was a Top-10 pitcher (in my mind) last year but we'll see what he decides this year.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Funny how most RS fans complain about the shape of RS players.

However if offered Prince Fielder or CC all would love to have them.
    However what would they say about thier weight problem????????

Some very good players have been heavier guys.
    Baseball is one sport where being heavy has no importance.

Mind you conditioning to be able to do what you have to do is different thing. You can be 25 lbs    overweight but if you can go nine innings there is no issue

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

[QUOTE]Funny how most RS fans complain about the shape of RS players. However if offered Prince Fielder or CC all would love to have them. However what would they say about thier weight problem???????? Some very good players have been heavier guys. Baseball is one sport where being heavy has no importance. Mind you conditioning to be able to do what you have to do is different thing. You can be 25 lbs    overweight but if you can go nine innings there is no issue
    Posted by JimfromFlorida[/QUOTE]

It is a case to case issue.

If Beckett isn't in shape it also says a lot about his level of commitment to the team and to being at his best.  Beckett's past performance has shown that he performs better when his conditioning is better.  The weight is a symptom of the real problem.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Valentine to Beckett : It is a case to case issue.  If Beckett isn't in shape it also says a lot about his level of commitment to the team and to being at his best.  Beckett's past performance has shown that he performs better when his conditioning is better.  The weight is a symptom of the real problem.
    Posted by Thesemenarecowards[/QUOTE]

Becketts contribution is huge to our teams success period. 
    We all love our team but to expect anything but commitment to conditioning and hard work from our entire team would wrong.  They get paid well to play the game and should all take their jobs seriously.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnDeckCircle. Show OnDeckCircle's posts

It becomes a question of how soon will Valentine gets a raging stare from Beckett because his pitching rhythm was disrupted from having to pitch faster than he cares to resulting in an early exit from some games.     Provided Beckett doesn't shower and quickly leave the ballpark, he might rip Valentine with media gathered around his locker.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

[QUOTE]Funny how most RS fans complain about the shape of RS players. However if offered Prince Fielder or CC all would love to have them. However what would they say about thier weight problem???????? Some very good players have been heavier guys. Baseball is one sport where being heavy has no importance. Mind you conditioning to be able to do what you have to do is different thing. You can be 25 lbs    overweight but if you can go nine innings there is no issue
    Posted by JimfromFlorida[/QUOTE]

Going 9 innings good. 

Diabetes, fatty liver disease, osteoarthritis, stroke, cardiovascular disease and high blood pressure not so much.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

[QUOTE]It becomes a question of how soon will Valentine gets a raging stare from Beckett because his pitching rhythm was disrupted from having to pitch faster than he cares to resulting in an early exit from some games.     Provided Beckett doesn't shower and quickly leave the ballpark, he might rip Valentine with media gathered around his locker.
    Posted by OnDeckCircle[/QUOTE]
    Let's not get ahead of ourselves.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Valentine to Beckett : It is a case to case issue.  If Beckett isn't in shape it also says a lot about his level of commitment to the team and to being at his best.  Beckett's past performance has shown that he performs better when his conditioning is better.  The weight is a symptom of the real problem.
    Posted by Thesemenarecowards[/QUOTE]
    Correct. And there is a difference between heavy and fat, and between how much weight a pitcher can carry and where and what is his best shape. Beckett, in particular, is paid to stay in ACE condition. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

I think he pitches slow because he does not have the confidence to pitch like he used to - pitching slow is like a spitter, just another trick to try and help an old dog.

He needs to pitch much better than 2011, his numbers were deceiving.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

Do you think that if Beckett was REALLY pissed off that Valentine would have said anything?  I doubt it.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to "Re: Valentine to Beckett": [QUOTE]Valentine said he called Beckett and after he told him how pissed he was for the critical comments about him pitching slowly during the ESPN Yankees game, they "had a good conversation" Posted by J-BAY[/QUOTE] Yeah that was funny. V goes right at it, I love it.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

[QUOTE]Funny how most RS fans complain about the shape of RS players. However if offered Prince Fielder or CC all would love to have them. However what would they say about thier weight problem???????? Some very good players have been heavier guys. Baseball is one sport where being heavy has no importance. Mind you conditioning to be able to do what you have to do is different thing. You can be 25 lbs    overweight but if you can go nine innings there is no issue Posted by JimfromFlorida[/QUOTE]

Jim...all valid points but let us look at their track record for injuries.

C.C.? None?
    Prince? None?
    Josh? Fat and numerous nagging injuries?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thomasmtom. Show Thomasmtom's posts

Prediction,

Beckett will not perform as well in 2012 as he did in 2011. This he will blame on @##@$% fans, Catchers who can’t call a game and lack of run support. When the Red Sox finish out of the money, he will state that October is a better time for hunting than playing baseball.  

After all this is the same self-absorbed jerk that told a young player starting his first major league game (that Beckett was starting) “ Don’t Screw Up”.

Sections
Shortcuts