Valentine to Beckett

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

Re: Valentine to Beckett

In Response to Re: Valentine to Beckett:
    [QUOTE]Do you think that if Beckett was REALLY pissed off that Valentine would have said anything? I doubt it. Posted by ampoule[/QUOTE]

No one knows what the heck they said to each other.

Valentine is going to say whatever the press will print in order to move on with Beckett and keep people entertained.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to "Re: Valentine to Beckett": [QUOTE]Do you think that if Beckett was REALLY pissed off that Valentine would have said anything?  I doubt it. Posted by ampoule[/QUOTE] That's what I thought too, which is why it was so great. V sets aside any idea of trouble while also gaining control of the situation with Beckett. Very smart.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHUBBIE99. Show CHUBBIE99's posts

[QUOTE]Funny how most RS fans complain about the shape of RS players. However if offered Prince Fielder or CC all would love to have them. However what would they say about thier weight problem???????? Some very good players have been heavier guys. Baseball is one sport where being heavy has no importance. Mind you conditioning to be able to do what you have to do is different thing. You can be 25 lbs    overweight but if you can go nine innings there is no issue
    Posted by JimfromFlorida[/QUOTE]Only thing cc has wow 60 games in the last 3 years. Not 35 like that bum beckett.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

His bio stats list him at 6'5" and 225...I guess that was pre-chicken and beer diet.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSF4Life234. Show RSF4Life234's posts

I really don't have a problem with Becketts response. I want my Ace to be an angry and think he's all that because he is. Seriously the Beckett criticism is ridiculous, he had a below 3 era in the Al East. And those photos of him out of shape are from 2010 spring training. At least if your gonna trash someone keep it up to date.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

All fine except for your use of the owrd "ACE" because that is EXACTLY what he wasn't.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from takavl. Show takavl's posts

Beckett was pissed at V for pointing out the eons between pitches?  Oh well, too bad for the over-paid athelete.  "Ma, he's sayin' mean thangs 'bout me!"  Ha.

However, wasn't Beckett's reason for the time he spent holding the ball supposedly meant to make the hitter impatient and/or to enable his personal catcher to go through yet another series of signs?

Whatever the case might be, Beckett obviously has issues, whether it's with the cliched entitlement spoilage of only wanting Tek to catch (he pulled the same crap when VMart caught him from what we understand...like VMart had no experience with high-level pitchers, not) or the buffoonery with his fake cowpoke buds.  Beckett's not a Lee/Halladay type of horse -- at least not anymore -- and it seems like his ball holding/stupid mean stares and attitude crap is a cover for his own realization of such.  Maybe if he spent more time conditioning during the winter and less time blowing holes in Bambi he might rediscover some of that talent he definitely used to exhibit.

Hopefully this crap is stopped by V.  I love Tito, and it's upsetting to think that the garbage we were made to understand happen actually DID happen...if so, Bobby V has more than his work cut out for him.  He'll also have to babysit at least one overblown and (so far) unaccountable Texas-sized ego.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from carolgolds. Show carolgolds's posts

[QUOTE]First, Bobby Valentine is the source for all information on this story. The conversation with Josh Beckett has no third party testimony. Bobby will say what he wishes and hence this relationship begins. How Valentine handles the top of the rotation (Beckett being the most important) will determine the Sox success or failure this year. Still, no pitching coach? For a good reason. "The pitching coach, I think of the three [vacancies] mentioned, is the most important, and we're probably going to take a lot of time to decide," Valentine said. "I don't mean months, because I need that guy yesterday to start talking about what we're going to do. But we're going to try to get the best possible guy, and it's going to take a while to weed through that. [General manager] Ben [Cherington] has a list, I have a list, we've been making calls, we've been setting up appointments." It is said that past behaviours give us a glimpse at possible future behaviours. Beckett is known for coming back out of shape. He also is a known hothead. We hear of Valentine's conversation with Beckett but nothing of his conversations with Lester or Buchholz. Why do you suppose? We did hear from Daniel Bard, he said he'd be willing to move to a starter role. All the aforementioned has been orchestrated by the new manager. As Beckett, Lester and Buchholz succeed so too do the Sox and their manager. They fail? It's a possible fourth place finish as the Jays will crawl over the Sox back and chase the frontrunners.
    Posted by WesternOregon[/QUOTE]

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from carolgolds. Show carolgolds's posts

Beckett did not come back out of shape  in 2011 and had a good year until the end of the season.  He had a 2.89 ERA because he works at it - probably would have been even better if he had run support.  And it had nothing to do with chicken, pizza, or anything else.

Whatever was discussed between Valentine and Beckett should have been left between Valentine and Beckett.  A new manager starting a firestorm does not strike a lot of confidence.

As for pitching, does anyone remember that we were like one out away when Papelbon blew the game? 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

...does anyone remember that we were like one out away when Papelbon blew the game? 

And that one out (non out) changed the whole tone of this board.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from carolgolds. Show carolgolds's posts

[QUOTE]...does anyone remember that we were like one out away when Papelbon blew the game?  And that one out (non out) changed the whole tone of this board.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

That's right.  And where is Papelbon today?  He beat it out of Boston after the can of worms had been opened and said "it's only a game."  Not that I don't appreciate all that Papelbon did over the years, I do, but he could have stuck up for his team members instead of letting everyone else take the heat.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Can we separate some issues here?

Beckett's fitness is certainly in need of addressing.

This is separate from his slow pace.  Last summer, when Josh was at his cy Young Conversation best, he was pitching slow.  Was it kind of annoying because it was soooooo sloooooow?  Yes.  But, I think that it was actually a weapon for him.  He felt comfortable working at that pace (not all pitchers could do it and  be effective), and it surely drove hitters batty (as well as viewers).  I think that his slow pace was actually part of his success, always has been to some extent.  He was just exploring another level last year.  Hard to watch, but, pre-ankle tweak, it was highly effective.

Yes, Beckett needs to be in better shape, and maintain through the season.  this is the obvious reason he has not been able to stay healthy through recent years.  But, the pace thing is just something totally different.  And it certainly doesn;t have to do with his lack of confidence (as it does for many other pitchers when they start slowing their pace).  If anything, it was his confidence that led him to the snails pace.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Thats been my take on it all well. Space. Throws off the rhythm and pace of the batter. Does it need to be that slow? probably not, but if it works, I'll live with it.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]Thats been my take on it all well. Space. Throws off the rhythm and pace of the batter. Does it need to be that slow? probably not, but if it works, I'll live with it.
    Posted by J-BAY[/QUOTE]

J- As long as he was pitching well, I didn't mind it at all.  Now, in September ...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

[QUOTE]Prediction,   Beckett will not perform as well in 2012 as he did in 2011. This he will blame on @##@$% fans, Catchers who can’t call a game and lack of run support. When the Red Sox finish out of the money, he will state that October is a better time for hunting than playing baseball.     After all this is the same self-absorbed jerk that told a young player starting his first major league game (that Beckett was starting) “ Don’t Screw Up”.  
    Posted by Thomasmtom[/QUOTE]

I'll see that prediction and add mine. I'm gonna predict that Josh shows up to spring training in great shape and with a better attitude due to the fact that he has a new skipper and knows that he let his team and his fans down last year.
    and me being who I am, the eternal optimist have a pretty good track record on what my gut feeling is.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Valentine to Beckett : J- As long as he was pitching well, I didn't mind it at all.  Now, in September ...
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

What September??CryYellSealed

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

[QUOTE]JBay Throws off the rhythm and pace of the batter. Does it need to be that slow? probably not, but if it works, I'll live with it. so what happens when everyone starts to do it maybe they should make a rule against it oh yeah they already did dare I ask how you & space  might feel about it is he was a nyy ;-)
    Posted by pinstripezac[/QUOTE]

oh ya Zac no doubt I wouldn't like it, but not because it was slowing down the game, because he was a YankeeTongue out

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Valentine to Beckett : What September??
    Posted by J-BAY[/QUOTE]

oh.  yeah.  i like where you are going with this J.  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

Whether we like his pace or not, Beckett is violating a rule of baseball by taking as long as he does between pitches.  BV is only demanding that Beckett abide by the rules of the game and I have no problem with that.

This appears to me to be a classic case of the dog beginning to wag the tail.  Suck it up, Josh.  It ain't all about you. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from carolgolds. Show carolgolds's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Valentine to Beckett : J- As long as he was pitching well, I didn't mind it at all.  Now, in September ...
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

Speaking of September, I had the feeling when he pitched his final game that he was hurrying his pitches.  Am I the only one who thought this?  It was also when his wife was about to go into labor and the team had made arrangements for him had this happened.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

[QUOTE]Whether we like his pace or not, Beckett is violating a rule of baseball by taking as long as he does between pitches.  BV is only demanding that Beckett abide by the rules of the game and I have no problem with that. This appears to me to be a classic case of the dog beginning to wag the tail.  Suck it up, Josh.  It ain't all about you. 
    Posted by S5[/QUOTE]

There is a rule. It's up to MLB to enforce it. Torre told Francona to talk to Beckett. He said he did. now, what he talked to him about is another matterWinkTongue out

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Valentine to Beckett :  There is a rule. It's up to MLB to enforce it. Torre told Francona to talk to Beckett. He said he did. now, what he talked to him about is another matter
    Posted by J-BAY[/QUOTE]

Agreed.  there is a rule and it's up to MLB to enforce it.  The problem lies in the amount of the fine vs. the player's salary vs. the players attitude.  Because the infraction is (rightfully IMO) seen as a tiny part of the game the fine is low which leads some players to pay the fine and thumb their nose at the league while continuing to do as they please. 

Don't get me wrong.  I like Beckett and his arrogant attitude - as long as he knows where to direct that attitude.  He's a guy whom you love when he's playing for you and hate when he's playing for someone else. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Valentine to Beckett : Agreed.  there is a rule and it's up to MLB to enforce it.  The problem lies in the amount of the fine vs. the player's salary vs. the players attitude.  Because the infraction is (rightfully IMO) seen as a tiny part of the game the fine is low which leads some players to pay the fine and thumb their nose at the league while continuing to do as they please.  Don't get me wrong.  I like Beckett and his arrogant attitude - as long as he knows where to direct that attitude.  He's a guy whom you love when he's playing for you and hate when he's playing for someone else. 
    Posted by S5[/QUOTE]

If they start to strongly enforce the 30 second rule for pitchers, they're going to also have to address the batters stepping out of the box after every other pitch, calling time, the catchers visits to the mound etc. The game is slow all the way around.

Sections
Shortcuts