Valentine--Truth Be Told, Thanks For Driving More Players Away

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Valentine--Truth Be Told, Thanks For Driving More Players Away

“From what I gather it’s common, it’s what happens here. One of the things I was discussing with one of the players was that all this noise is one of the reasons players don’t like to sign here,” said the manager. “You know, they don’t have to deal with it in other markets. They don’t have to worry about the drama of the day, they can just go out and play baseball.”

The guy just can't help himself. Great way of telling every free agent in 2013 out there, DON'T COME TO BOSTON...what a maroon. Gee thanks, BV. Let Kruk say that on ESPN or Reynolds on MLB Channel---don't say it as the Manager of the Boston Red Sox. That's NOT HOW WE DO IT AROUND HERE!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Re: Valentine--Truth Be Told, Thanks For Driving More Players Away

For the love of Win Remmerswal, can we please fire this guy...please, i'm begging.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Nomar has got to be chuckling at that statement. 

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

yes, it's ok for me to say it, and it's ok for you to say it, and it's ok for analysts to say it. But when a representative of an organization says this--it's career suicide and it's terrible for the Sox PR department. You just don't say it, that's why Nomar took a lot of heat for it when he said it as much. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Let me put to you another way:
    I'm the Sox GM and I"m with BV and I'm trying to court a player to come to Boston.
    Star Player: "So I was thinking about Boston, but then I see Bobby has reservations about players who can't handle things with the "noise."
    Cherington: "No, No, that's just Bobby being Bobby. It's a great place to play, the fans love you, and are passionate and the owners treat you right."
    BV: "No, I'm serious. It's tough to play here, you should think about it. Look at all the issues I've had as manager."

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

In Response to Re: Valentine--Truth Be Told, Thanks For Driving More Players Away:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Valentine--Truth Be Told, Thanks For Driving More Players Away : Danny, correct me if I am wrong, but haven't you been saying the exact same thing here for years that BV said above? You have attacked the Boston media over and over for the same reasons. Why not decide once which side that you are on?
    Posted by Calzone65[/QUOTE]

It's one thing for a poster on a chat board to say such things. Or someone in the media. It's quite another for Valentine to make that statement about the team he is managing. Will you, for once, THINK BEFORE YOU TYPE!!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from JN86. Show JN86's posts

Not good to have the manager say it but it is true.  Good players are not going to want to come here.  They will NOT want to deal with this drama and out of control media.  God help any player who has a bad game let alone a few bad games.. they will be throw out to the wolves.  It is disgusting the way the media has been and in the end not only will they drive away good players we have now - they will prevent new promising players to come.  Any successful player will have several offers and if you think they will pick Boston over the others - think again.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

AGON came here, CC came here. They didn't know they would be playing for one of the most confused managers out there in BV.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

In Response to Re: Valentine--Truth Be Told, Thanks For Driving More Players Away:
    [QUOTE]Not good to have the manager say it but it is true.  Good players are not going to want to come here.  They will NOT want to deal with this drama and out of control media.  God help any player who has a bad game let alone a few bad games.. they will be throw out to the wolves.  It is disgusting the way the media has been and in the end not only will they drive away good players we have now - they will prevent new promising players to come.  Any successful player will have several offers and if you think they will pick Boston over the others - think again.
    Posted by JN86[/QUOTE]

It may arguably be true, but to have the manager of the team say such a thing is...(searching for a word)...oh, let's go with LUNACY! Did this guy come to Boston to subvert the team or is he really that dumb?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]AGON came here, CC came here. They didn't know they would be playing for one of the most confused managers out there in BV.
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]

While Boston has always been tough, it's never been remotely this bad.  What was the biggest blow up on tito's watch?  Manny, that's about it.  And there weren't that many before then either.  We had the 25 cab thing before Tito came, but even that was relatively mild compared to what we see today.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Joe, for what its worth, I've spent too much time trying to say what you've been saying all along and for that you should get kudos.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]Joe, for what its worth, I've spent too much time trying to say what you've been saying all along and for that you should get kudos.

I don't get the love affair with BV.  He's a terrible manager from almost any perspective.  I think the only reason why some posters have tolerated him is the same reason LL has.  Nobody wants to say how much better it was when Tito was here.

At this point, just plan for the future.  Hire Alomar or Tek.  Hire anyone that will get back to the business of just playing BB.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from JN86. Show JN86's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Valentine--Truth Be Told, Thanks For Driving More Players Away : I don't get the love affair with BV.  He's a terrible manager from almost any perspective.  I think the only reason why some posters have tolerated him is the same reason LL has.  Nobody wants to say how much better it was when Tito was here. At this point, just plan for the future.  Hire Alomar or Tek.  Hire anyone that will get back to the business of just playing BB.
    Posted by Joebreidey[/QUOTE]

AMEN to that!  Can we just have baseball and not all this drama! 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

Someone (maybe more than one person) suggested Tony Pena as manager. I like that idea, if he's available.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Valentine--Truth Be Told, Thanks For Driving More Players Away : I don't get the love affair with BV.  He's a terrible manager from almost any perspective.  I think the only reason why some posters have tolerated him is the same reason LL has.  Nobody wants to say how much better it was when Tito was here. At this point, just plan for the future.  Hire Alomar or Tek.  Hire anyone that will get back to the business of just playing BB.
    Posted by Joebreidey[/QUOTE]

More accurately, some of us are giving him a chance. A lot of people thought it was a bad idea to hire him and have been trying to prove their theory since Day 1. I don't know anyone who thinks that he is a great manager now; some think he is not the culprit in what has happened. To blame him for this mess is dumb. This is on the mediocre GM we used to have, primarily, who hobbled the team with many massive bad contracts that we will be stuck with for years, not to mention the SP which has been deteriorating unabated since 2007.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Valentine--Truth Be Told, Thanks For Driving More Players Away : that's never gonna happen.
    Posted by mryazz[/QUOTE]

I know, I know. I was venting.

( see 'Pesky cared about the name on the front not the back' thread)

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]Someone (maybe more than one person) suggested Tony Pena as manager. I like that idea, if he's available.
    Posted by antibody[/QUOTE]I could get behind DeMarlo Hale as manager.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Valentine--Truth Be Told, Thanks For Driving More Players Away : More accurately, some of us are giving him a chance. A lot of people thought it was a bad idea to hire him and have been trying to prove their theory since Day 1. I don't know anyone who thinks that he is a great manager now; some think he is not the culprit in what has happened. To blame him for this mess is dumb. This is on the mediocre GM we used to have, primarily, who hobbled the team with many massive bad contracts that we will be stuck with for years, not to mention the SP which has been deteriorating unabated since 2007.
    Posted by pumpsie-green[/QUOTE]+1

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

In response to "Re: Valentine--Truth Be Told, Thanks For Driving More Players Away": [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Valentine--Truth Be Told, Thanks For Driving More Players Away : While Boston has always been tough, it's never been remotely this bad.  What was the biggest blow up on tito's watch?  Manny, that's about it.  And there weren't that many before then either.  We had the 25 cab thing before Tito came, but even that was relatively mild compared to what we see today. Posted by Joebreidey[/QUOTE] And just WHY do you think this team is under a microscope? How about Sep 2011. The media is just itching to exploit anything and everything because of what Francona failed to do. Control the team. So, now BV is trying to control things and if that means being candid with the media, so be it. Francona never was. You and DC are just pining for person ultimately responsible for the circumstances the Sox are in but are too blind to see it.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

[QUOTE]AGON came here, CC came here. They didn't know they would be playing for one of the most confused managers out there in BV.

And they didn't know they would be playing for a team where the #1 and #2 starters on the team both stink and have ERAs over 5. Josh Beckett has won one game since May. What do you expect?

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from thefly8. Show thefly8's posts

This team quit on the last manager too, at what point do you hold players accountable?

Sections
Shortcuts