Value: some simply can't understand the concept

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

Re: Value: some simply can't understand the concept

In Response to Re: Value: some simply can't understand the concept:
    [QUOTE]Well, I posted that I thought he would be a good addition, certainly better than Oswalt.  And on that I was correct.  Kuroda's record has been consistently very good.  There was some thought his talents might not translate to the AL expressed by some of the pundits at the Globe, but for the money he was most certainly the best talent available.  And for me that is not 20-20 hindsight.
    Posted by parhunter55[/QUOTE]

Kuroda would have certainly helped and the Sox kicked the tires, but they didn't have much financial flexibility to get it done.  Saying they could of "not signed Ortiz" wasn't going to happen.  He's still the face of the franchise, on and off the field, and the Sox are well aware of it.  I'd be shocked if he isn't back next year as well. This trade gives the Sox a ton of flexibility to make those kind of moves going forward.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Well, I posted that I thought he would be a good addition...

Anyone else you might have said "would be a good addition"?

Not doubting you, but I don't remember anyone saying we should have outbid what the Yanks paid ($10M).

I do remember a lot of Oswalt talk, Edwin Jackson talk, and Buehrle talk of which I was against all at what they got.

I actually thought Jackson might have been the best of this group as he too was a 1 year deal (low risk).

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

I liked the idea of Kuroda, but Moon's right, I wasn't yelling for him.  I think the SOx might have been interested at $4 - 6 million ... but not the ten he got in the Bronx.

However, if we had signed him and he started out slowly, we likely would have crucified him even before he got on track.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

Sorry.  Tried to look up my history of comments but they only went back to the end of March/early April.  That is when I had to change my name and create a new account just to sign in and post comments.  But I know I liked Kuroda, and consistently preached against signing Oswalt, which I continued even after becoming parhunter55.  Don't remember if I liked Kuroda $10 million much, but believe I thought the Sox should offer around $8 million for him. 

However, jasko is right, Ortiz was almost certainly coming back, and I for one was supportive of the Sox offering arbitration.  Does not change my point, which is that it is a bit silly to blame the entire budget crunch (if one really exists) on the extensionsgiven to AGon and Buchholz.  All contracts contribute to the budget, not just the ones added most recently.  And a crunch is only real if the team would lose money by going over the self-imposed limit...which is what I believe NOT to be the case.

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]InEpstein can't blame "marketing forces" for his disaster contracts. Nor can the players blame the managers. Inepstein and the Beckett extension was pure incompetence. His attempts to find a slugging SS was also pure incomptence.
    Posted by TrotterNixon[/QUOTE]Have you stopped bashing Johnny Pesky yet?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Value: some simply can't understand the concept : Sell that to the Yankees and their fans, and the Dodgers and their fans. Looks like the Sox got 41 million dollars of value for around 27 million.  Not too shabby.  Unfortunately, with the collapse of their pitching, the Sox became a below .500 team.  You do realize that this is someone's calculation and really has no bearing on who wins or who loses, don't you?
    Posted by parhunter55[/QUOTE]

Par - of course I understand it's a calculation....didn't you see the caveat at the bottom of the OP?

The point, that you get, is that there is little value to be had from fully priced players so there's little point in handwringing about losing many such players.  You say 41 for 27 isn't too shabby?  Correct, but 29 for 6 is a far better value, wouldn't you say?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]Please help me see this big picture you are talking about. I didn't mind seeing Beckett and Crawford go but really they had to let the team's best hitter go ? What is that telling their fans ? I am just as much of a fan as you claim to be. It's time to face the fact there will be dark years ahead for the Sox.
    Posted by jpBsSoxFan[/QUOTE]

You have to give something to get something.  This isn't a fantasy baseball trade where your other screen name is on the other side of the trade.  

Losing Agon Hurts I agree, but in the end you can take that 20+ million a year and give it to a similar player, also think of the money spent on Crawford and Beckett that they now have flexibility to use.  One can (and should argue) that if spent wisely that money will become 2 times as productive as it was.  Crawford and Beckett were barely worth a million  Josh is obviously washed up, and Crawford will never even come close to living up to his contract, by the time he is fully healthy (if he doesn't re injure himself) he would be in the 4th year of a over paid contract for a speed guy who never hit more than 19 HR's who will then be in his 30's.

To top it off you get 2 pitchers who are potential middle to #2 starters?!?!?  I can't believe that you don't see how this is a win for the Sox.  

If ownership takes that Cash and pockets it then yes, it is probably going to hurt the fans. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

...They bean count and save pennies and then blow millions. Crawford was the grand daddy that broke the Red Sox bank, not because of total cost, but becuase Crawford was never ever good enough or a fit in the first place....Inepstein and the Beckett extension was pure incompetence.

You'd think with believing all this, you'd be thrilled we got rid of these two contracts plus the "untradable Punto" for only $12M, but I guess since you said there was no way this deal was for real, you have to save face and be critical of Ben, as always.