Varitek and Reality

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

Varitek and Reality

Varitek BA .245 OBP .336 SLG .373

Starting Pitching ERA 4.10   

290 Innings Assists 20 Double Plays 1 Passed Balls 4 Errors 0 CS 22%

VMart BA .333 OBP .383 SLG .494

Starting Pitching ERA 4.49

171 Innings Assists 14  Double Plays 3 Passed Balls 0 Errors 1 CS 25%

Notice Variteks passed balls. Without even considering that VMart is catching the bottom of the Tiger Rotation, most of the time, and compariing the quality of the staffs and pen and divisions, it's pretty clear that breaking the bank on Crawford and keeping Varitek was a big value and performance mistake, regardless of how this team ends up. VMart should have been kept, defensive catcher signed as the backup, Salty starting off in AAA, then transition VMart to backup catcher in year 3 and 4 of his contract, after Ortiz ages out.

Theo wanted to impress people with bean counting and Crawford. I'm not impressed by his nonsense "speed ages slower". This team is a much better team with VMart catching, as VMart is adequate as a catcher and can bat 5th, if needed. It provided a legitimate RH top tier bat. Signing a solid veteran defenisve catcher (no, not Varitek), for late innings and backup starts would have made this team a lot better baseball team. 

Way to go Theo! 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

Re: Varitek and Reality

Drivel You are comparing a BUC to a DH. Compare Salty to Avila and Ortiz to Martinez for a fair assesment.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

VMart as a catcher:

BA .250,  OBP  .305,   SLG  .306

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

VMart is not a catcher, period.  He's a DH/firstbaseman who occasionally catches. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

VMart is gone. Beating up Varitek is not going to change that. I like having Varitek behind the plate. I know the pitchers like him, and I know that he knows more about the opposing teams' batters than probably anyone in baseball. I'm still wondering how they're going to replace that.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

In Response to Re: Varitek and Reality:
    [QUOTE]VMart is gone. Beating up Varitek is not going to change that. I like having Varitek behind the plate. I know the pitchers like him, and I know that he knows more about the opposing teams' batters than probably anyone in baseball. I'm still wondering how they're going to replace that .
    Posted by kimsaysthis[/QUOTE]

Fortunately, they currently don't have to.

This thread exemplifiers the author's narrow-minded scope of the pitcher/catcher equation. According to him: "Catchers have nothing to do with pitching".

That's his reality.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

Last year when they had Mike Lowell day they should have included Varitek and Wakefield any contribution they make is a bonus, but the more they play the more they are going to be exposed. Recent history shows that Wake's 'era' will end up at 5+ so expect some beatings in the future, and the captain will wilt in the summer sun, as he walks back to the dugout shakeing his head after another strike out, and yes I know that Jason calls a game better than any catcher in the history of mankind. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

How many times do we have to have the same debate? 

At least Rush Limbaugh has an excuse; he has a show to put out every day.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Varitek and Reality : Fortunately, they currently don't have to. This thread exemplifiers the author's narrow-minded scope of the pitcher/catcher equation. According to him: " Catchers have nothing to do with pitching". That's his reality .
    Posted by harness[/QUOTE]

No way that is true. Catchers can certainly make a pitcher more comfortable. And catchers like Varitek, who know everything about every player to come to bat, are invaluable to pitchers IMO. When he's gone, there's going to be a huge gap to fill.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]How many times do we have to have the same debate? At least Rush Limbaugh has an excuse; he has a show to put out every day.
    Posted by nhsteven[/QUOTE]

As many times as he starts these idiotic threads.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Is this CERA Sequel # 25?

Why don't you just start a blog that covers all your favorite whipping boys?

You could even economize the topic partitions by naming one Crawbury, with a little Roadrunner icon next to it.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Of Detroit's 77 games, Martinez has started 18 (23 percent) at catcher. So any comparisons between him and Varitek are misplaced.

Now, you if you want to compare his numbers with Ortiz ...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

NHSteven says "We"? Is he speaking for RSN or the "Evil Empire?". It is very confusing for me when I hear Steve get upset over anything on this forum concerning Red Sox issues about our lineup, management, or ownership, batting order, prospects, or draft picks. Why is he at all intrested since he is a self admitted Yankee fan just like Babe? Why doesn't he spend 90% of his waking hours researching and digesting Yankees matters with fellow Yank fans?? Isn't that what Yankee fans are supposed to do? Does anyone else have these questions or am I alone is this bewilderment? He seems to have a vested interest in the health of this Red Sox forum but yet he is a Yankee fan - Go figure.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]NHSteven says "We"? Is he speaking for RSN or the "Evil Empire?". It is very confusing for me when I hear Steve get upset over anything on this forum concerning Red Sox issues about our lineup, management, or ownership, batting order, prospects, or draft picks. Why is he at all intrested since he is a self admitted Yankee fan just like Babe? Why doesn't he spend 90% of his waking hours researching and digesting Yankees matters with fellow Yank fans?? Isn't that what Yankee fans are supposed to do? Does anyone else have these questions or am I alone is this bewilderment? He seems to have a vested interest in the health of this Red Sox forum but yet he is a Yankee fan - Go figure.
    Posted by Your-Echo[/QUOTE]

When I meant we; I meant the group discussing the topic, regardless of affiliation, something you apparently don't get. BTW, Nice ducking that other thread, coward. No matter; since I can't do anything in prison, my martial arts ninja babes have their eyes on you.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]NHSteven says "We"? Is he speaking for RSN or the "Evil Empire?". It is very confusing for me when I hear Steve get upset over anything on this forum concerning Red Sox issues about our lineup, management, or ownership, batting order, prospects, or draft picks. Why is he at all intrested since he is a self admitted Yankee fan just like Babe? Why doesn't he spend 90% of his waking hours researching and digesting Yankees matters with fellow Yank fans?? Isn't that what Yankee fans are supposed to do? Does anyone else have these questions or am I alone is this bewilderment? He seems to have a vested interest in the health of this Red Sox forum but yet he is a Yankee fan - Go figure.
    Posted by Your-Echo[/QUOTE]

I'm a "democrat", yet I think A. Lincoln was a great president.

Go figure.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[QUOTE]VMart as a catcher : BA .250,  OBP  .305,   SLG  .306
    Posted by RedSoxKimmi[/QUOTE]

Ruh Roh, Kimmi, don't go making sense with PROPERLY used stats.....

Way to go!!! 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

Of Detroit's 77 games, Martinez has started 18 (23 percent)

21 games started, not that facts matter. If he was in a lineup with AGon, Youk and Ortiz, and his regular role was catcher, let's not pretend that Varitek's old washed up body compares. 

Both sides of the ball, Varitek is nothing but hype. He's been washed up for a long time, and he doesn't have magic fingers. He's wooden and incapable of competent defensive catching, thus he's not even a worthy backup. His passed balls is grounds to DFA, if he wasn't a fan cult hero.

Last year when they had Mike Lowell day they should have included Varitek and Wakefield any contribution they make is a bonus, but the more they play the more they are going to be exposed. Recent history shows that Wake's 'era' will end up at 5+ so expect some beatings in the future, and the captain will wilt in the summer sun, as he walks back to the dugout shakeing his head after another strike out, and yes I know that Jason calls a game better than any catcher in the history of mankind. 

Bingo, somene willing to tell it like it is.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

VMART is a DH - and a back-up catcher.
    Nobody wanted him as FT catcher. Fact.
    Tek is catching more games 7 years his elder.
    Not that facts matter...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

When he said "we" he was referring to harness and he..... they are tight.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

Fact: The Tigers have a young starting catcher that makes Varitek and Salty look like, well, Varitek and Salty. The Tigers had a need for a terrific hitter who could DH and backup at catcher. Wrong to claim "no one wanted him as a FA catcher". Theo wanted him as a catcher and later years DH, but was unwilling to match the Tigers.

Fact: Varitek stinks and has 4 passed balls, and does not have magic fingers.

Fact: You love Varitek and couldn't do anything more than be a cheerleader with your mouth drooling. You have no credibility on the washed up Varitek.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

I was not a fan of letting VMart go, though with Salty playing a lot better it is seeming like less of a disastrous move than it felt like at the time. You never know where the season will lead, we go into it, I'm thinking that the loss of VMart will really hurt, when in fact when we think of offense, JD Drew falling off whatever cliff he has been teetering on for years has hurt us more. 

Having said that, what is the statute of limitations for whining like a baby about not having VMart on our team? I did my share of it earlier in the season, but aren't we close to saying, "This is our team, let's move on." Can I suggest the end of June for the last belly aching thread about the loss of VMart?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

With the trade deadline coming, there is never any such thing as "this our team". No, VMart's coming back, but Salty went from bad to marginal (AAA should have been his starting point) and Lavarnway appears to be developing into a solid offensive/backup defensive catcher profile. By no means should the Sox pretend that the Red Sox staff with a middle of the road pitching performance profile is dependent upon Varitek for that aspect. In other words, replacing Varitek should still be on the table. Of course, it won't be, but that doesn't mean I have to say, in June, that it should be off the table.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Actually, the Sox are doing pretty well at the catcher position.  Tek's CERA is .344, which is third best in the AL, and he is hitting and producing--his OPS is
     .713-- better than Drew, McDonald, or Cameron, three players whom betterredthandead raved about last year.  Saltalamacchia is hitting and fielding better than Tek, but that's because he is the regular catcher and over ten years youngers.

The Sox had plenty of time to evaluate VMart, and they determined, correctly, he was not their catcher of the future.  His best use is as a DH/firstbaseman who occasionally catches.  The Sox DH and firstbaseman are much better hitters than V-Mart. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[QUOTE]I was not a fan of letting VMart go, though with Salty playing a lot better it is seeming like less of a disastrous move than it felt like at the time. You never know where the season will lead, we go into it, I'm thinking that the loss of VMart will really hurt, when in fact when we think of offense, JD Drew falling off whatever cliff he has been teetering on for years has hurt us more.  Having said that, what is the statute of limitations for whining like a baby about not having VMart on our team?I did my share of it earlier in the season, but aren't we close to saying, "This is our team, let's move on." Can I suggest the end of June for the last belly aching thread about the loss of VMart?
    Posted by BostonTrollSpanker[/QUOTE]

BTS ... bravo for a remarkable idea.  This would make life sooo much more pleasant in the course of time.

I enjoyed watching Victor hit.  W/o any stats to back it up, he seemed to be clutch as well as just plain good. 

But the direction the FO intended to take, IOW getting that guy from San Diego, made having Victor as a part time 1bman unneeded....

Victor was a far better at the plate if he wasn't BEHIND the plate, too.

And Adrian at first, Big Papi at DH ... Victor was needed only behind the plate, to be honest

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

I think that is a fair analysis Mr. SinceYaz.

Sections
Shortcuts