Varitek and Reality

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Re: Varitek and Reality

In Response to Varitek and Reality:
    Varitek BA .245 OBP .336 SLG .373 Starting Pitching ERA 4.10    290 Innings Assists 20 Double Plays 1 Passed Balls 4 Errors 0 CS 22% VMart BA .333 OBP .383 SLG .494 Starting Pitching ERA 4.49 171 Innings Assists 14  Double Plays 3 Passed Balls 0 Errors 1 CS 25% Notice Variteks passed balls. Without even considering that VMart is catching the bottom of the Tiger Rotation, most of the time, and compariing the quality of the staffs and pen and divisions, it's pretty clear that breaking the bank on Crawford and keeping Varitek was a big value and performance mistake, regardless of how this team ends up. VMart should have been kept, defensive catcher signed as the backup, Salty starting off in AAA, then transition VMart to backup catcher in year 3 and 4 of his contract, after Ortiz ages out. Theo wanted to impress people with bean counting and Crawford. I'm not impressed by his nonsense "speed ages slower". This team is a much better team with VMart catching, as VMart is adequate as a catcher and can bat 5th, if needed. It provided a legitimate RH top tier bat. Signing a solid veteran defenisve catcher (no, not Varitek), for late innings and backup starts would have made this team a lot better baseball team.  Way to go Theo! 
    Posted by betterredthandead

The point is Martinez and Tek bring different traits to the game.  So far this year Jason has surprised me just by hitting a bit higher and I'm very satisfied with the way Salty is progressing.  Hopefully this continues, I do agree Teks defense isn't quite as good but age will do this to a player.

We have two similar catchers to Tek and Victor in the minors in Fed and Lavarnway.  Ryan is a hitter and Fed a great defender, the difference being Ryan has the potential to have the best of both worlds because of his strong arm. 

Good hitter, arm and more practice behind the plate could bring comparisons to "pudge" in a few years.  Salty also has good potential in this area

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaffyDan. Show DaffyDan's posts

VMart makes $10 million for the next five years.
    Tex + Salty makes $2.75 million this year with no long term commitment.

The Red Sox lead the league in offense. And have money in reserve to acquire as-needed players come the deadline. 

Those are the "facts" that matter.

It seems, Master Softlaw loves spending other peoples money in his fantasy fact world. 

-Daf.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ---The--Babe----. Show ---The--Babe----'s posts

In Response to Re: Varitek and Reality:
    I was not a fan of letting VMart go, though with Salty playing a lot better it is seeming like less of a disastrous move than it felt like at the time. You never know where the season will lead, we go into it, I'm thinking that the loss of VMart will really hurt, when in fact when we think of offense, JD Drew falling off whatever cliff he has been teetering on for years has hurt us more.  Having said that, what is the statute of limitations for whining like a baby about not having VMart on our team? I did my share of it earlier in the season, but aren't we close to saying, "This is our team, let's move on." Can I suggest the end of June for the last belly aching thread about the loss of VMart?

Posted by BostonTrollSpanker

Well, considering that the many of rfn whined about manny and bay for a few years after they were gone I would say we haven't reached that statute yet.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

The reasons for letting VMart leave were spelled out very clearly and often during the winter. They were here to be read and understood and you could agree with them or not but why keep regurgitating the issue over and over again. It is time to move on.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In Response to Re: Varitek and Reality : Because nhstephanie is a closet red flops fan.
    Posted by ---The--Babe----

Yes, I'm reading you. You ever think that the female gender doesn't want me? And resorting to this tactic is juvenile, dated, and sexist. It was like what the military used to do "OK troops, I want you girls to do 50!". And BTW, I don't need to prove to you or anyone else here anything about loyalties.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Yeah ok Stepanie

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

21 games started, not that facts matter.

That's correct, 21 starts, which equates to 27 percent of the Tigers' games. Yet the fact remains that Martinez is a DH who only occasionally plays behind the plate. So, again, your comparison is pointless.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from canetime. Show canetime's posts

vmart is not on the red sox team so who cares!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Yeah ok Stepanie
    Posted by BurritoT

I don't believe you're dead from the neck up like Harness says; but you may have a case of dementia that results in the thought process of a toddler.  If this keeps progressing at the current rate, soon you won't be able to post. That's a relief.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

Glad to see thees therads are back. They have been the perfect reverse lock this year for Ells, Jed, Tim and Jason. heck even Crawford heated up once he got the full betterredthandead treatment. Only Lackey seems t be immune so far to the reverse lock.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

On the OP, betterred basically hung his hat on the 4 passed balls, which is pretty hilarious considering how good Varitek's CERA, winiing pct. and offensive numbers compared to other BUC's are.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

Yes, Dan, saving all that money on Crawbust by not signing VMart was an act of brilliance.

CERA is a joke unless catchers catch the same pitchers in the same time frames during their ups and downs.

But, Varitek doesn't catch enough to qualify for the silly CERA, not that he's highly ranked, anyway. Taylor Teagarden is a star, based upon this nonsense.

Varitek, yes, that old wooden urban legend who is seeking 3 more years of money through the MLPBA:

Near the bottom in ZR
    Near the bottom, with Salty, in passed balls
    Near the bottom in CS%
    A strikeout machine, but not with the glove

Not hard to find something young who can actually move behind the plate. There is no need for two weak fielding clutzed behind the plate.

.713-- better than Drew, McDonald, or Cameron, three players whom betterredthandead raved about last year.  Saltalamacchia is hitting and fielding better than Tek, but that's because he is the regular catcher and over ten years youngers.

The Sox had plenty of time to evaluate VMart, and they determined, correctly, he was not their catcher of the future.

Actually, the Sox attempted to sign VMart. Varitek was pullled from the dumpster, late. Had VMart accepted a slight paycut to stay in the beloved town that loves 40 year old Jason Varitek, Salty would be the backup catcher and Varitek would be playing for the team where old washed up players are finally kicked out of MLB. 

Varitek propaganda is so profusive, it is necessary to see the reality of the old urban legend magic fingers man who moves like he's had joint fusion surgery.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

They have been the perfect reverse lock this year for Ells, Jed, Tim and Jason. heck even Crawford heated up once he got the full betterredthandead treatment. Only Lackey seems t be immune so far to the reverse lock.

"This year" hasn't finished. "Ells" is moving back towards his career averages and continues to be a weak defensive CF'er who is getting throw out on a regular basis. But a career high year, we'll see, would be a great time to trade him and get a solid young RH OF'er.

Jed couldn't hit RHP well, even when his potemkin small sample stat line had Red Sox fans drooling. He's been a butcher with the glove and was in free fall before he had another tingle.

Wastefield hasn't pitched enough to qualify as an ERA stat flounder, but his sterling 4.54 ERA ranks 353 and behind favorite whipping post Okajima. It's been a vintage first half for the great Tim Wastefield.

Slackey will come around, now that 5K/"streets of LA" has commented that he hasn't been "immune". I valued Slackey at 3 years and 30 million, and was against the silly contract offer Theo made. I was wrong. Slackey wasn't worth 30 million, but Tim Wastefield hasn't been worth the 50 million he's been paid.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

I never "raved" about any player.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

They have been the perfect reverse lock this year for Ells, Jed, Tim and Jason. heck even Crawford heated up once he got the full betterredthandead treatment. Only Lackey seems t be immune so far to the reverse lock. "This year" hasn't finished. "Ells" is moving back towards his career averages and continues to be a weak defensive CF'er who is getting throw out on a regular basis. But a career high year, we'll see, would be a great time to trade him and get a solid young RH OF'er. Jed couldn't hit RHP well, even when his potemkin small sample stat line had Red Sox fans drooling. He's been a butcher with the glove and was in free fall before he had another tingle. Wastefield hasn't pitched enough to qualify as an ERA stat flounder, but his sterling 4.54 ERA ranks 353 and behind favorite whipping post Okajima. It's been a vintage first half for the great Tim Wastefield. Slackey will come around, now that 5K/"streets of LA" has commented that he hasn't been "immune". I valued Slackey at 3 years and 30 million, and was against the silly contract offer Theo made. I was wrong. Slackey wasn't worth 30 million, but Tim Wastefield hasn't been worth the 50 million he's been paid.

Is this a reference to that calamity during the Russian Czar Catherine' (II) s reign? If so, most won't get it.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

Steve, etymology is a passion of mine. Your wit is welcome. My other passion is exposing government fraud and mismanagement, for which I'm paid by contingency. Needless to say, I have more work than I can handle. Promising something for nothing or promising to take from one voting Steve and redistrube, less a government commission, to 1 million voting Steves has ruined this once great economic power. In this election cycle, it will boing down to how many of the "want something for nothings" show up and vote. Given the economy and stark reality of de fact federal bankruptcy, this cycle will be interesting to see how many fools turnout and vote for:

1. Increased Entitlements
    2. 1 or 2 Consenting Adults Moral Code
    3. Whether Varitek is going to turn it on in the second half

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Steve, etymology is a passion of mine. Your wit is welcome. My other passion is exposing government fraud and mismanagement, for which I'm paid by contingency. Needless to say, I have more work than I can handle. Promising something for nothing or promising to take from one voting Steve and redistrube, less a government commission, to 1 million voting Steves has ruined this once great economic power. In this election cycle, it will boing down to how many of the "want something for nothings" show up and vote. Given the economy and stark reality of de fact federal bankruptcy, this cycle will be interesting to see how many fools turnout and vote for: 1. Increased Entitlements 2. 1 or 2 Consenting Adults Moral Code 3. Whether Varitek is going to turn it on in the second half

This may be true, but the elite has their own list of abuses.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Varitek BA .245 OBP .336 SLG .373

You still don't get it: these are excellent numbers for a back up catcher.
    He's got the 19th best catcher OPS in MLB out of the top 36 in PAs (120+)

Starting Pitching ERA 4.10   

You still don't get it: Staff ERA
    with VTek: 3.44 
    with Salty: 4.36 

You don't get this either:
    Det CERA:
    Santos: 2.00
    Avila:   4.07
    VMart: 4.40 (vs easier opponents according to clown sherlock here)

Opponents OPS:
    VTEK: .643
    Salty: .724
    VMart: .762 (vs easier opponents than VTek and Salty faced)

290 Innings Assists 20 Double Plays 1, Passed Balls 4, Errors 0, CS 22%

Salty's got about 1/3 more innings caught and about twice the WPs and 50% more PBs. Salty has a 25% CS rate.

VMart BA .333 OBP .383 SLG .494

Not when he has to squat and catch.

Starting Pitching ERA 4.49

171 Innings Assists 14  Double Plays 3 Passed Balls 0 Errors 1 CS 25%

120 less innings caught than VTek and just 1 less WP (8 to 9)
    Totals:
    VTek  13 WP+PB/290 inn
    VMart 11 WP+PB/190 inn
    Funny how you used to use WPs against VTek, now you stopped when the balance tilted the other way.

Notice Variteks passed balls. Without even considering that VMart is catching the bottom of the Tiger Rotation, most of the time,

You still don't get it:

Porcello is his most caught pitcher:
    CERA with Porcello:
    Santos  1.35
    Avila      4.74
    VMart    4.85

...VMart should have been kept, defensive catcher signed as the backup, Salty starting off in AAA, then transition VMart to backup catcher in year 3 and 4 of his contract, after Ortiz ages out.

You still don't get it...
    VMart is not a full-time catcher anymore for a reason.
    VMart would not have replaced Papi for 3 years, because Papi will probably be here 2 more years after this. If not, we'd have VMart and the Yanks Papi: brilliant idea, clown!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

If Vmart stayed we couldn't of traded for Adrian Gonzalez, well we could have but that would make Vmart a full time catcher....and you'd be paying for him to be a full time catcher (something he has never been) for 4+ years.  

VTek is a backup catcher...who cares if Vmart is putting up better numbers,  as time goes on if Salty continues to play as he has I would imagine his playing time will increase and diminish Vteks role from what it is now. 

The reality is...who cares what Varitek does, we should all be more concerned with what Saltalamacchia does. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

Another point to keep in mind - if we had re-signed VMart as the primary catcher, signed Gonzalez but passed on Crawford, Cameron would most likely be our starting LF.  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

When he said "we" he was referring to harness and he..... they are tight.
    Posted by BurritoT

Yes, Steve's a good friend.
    You, OTOH, are Softy's b*tch.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Yes, Dan, saving all that money on Crawbust by not signing VMart was an act of brilliance. CERA is a joke unlesscatchers catch the same pitchers in the same time frames during their ups and downs. But, Varitek doesn't catch enough to qualify for the silly CERA, not that he's highly ranked, anyway. Taylor Teagarden is a star, based upon this nonsense. Varitek, yes, that old wooden urban legend who is seeking 3 more years of money through the MLPBA: Near the bottom in ZR Near the bottom, with Salty, in passed balls Near the bottom in CS% A strikeout machine, but not with the glove Not hard to find something young who can actually move behind the plate. There is no need for two weak fielding clutzed behind the plate.  .713-- better than Drew, McDonald, or Cameron, three players whom betterredthandead raved about last year.  Saltalamacchia is hitting and fielding better than Tek, but that's because he is the regular catcher and over ten years youngers. The Sox had plenty of time to evaluate VMart, and they determined, correctly, he was not their catcher of the future. Actually, the Sox attempted to sign VMart. Varitek was pullled from the dumpster, late. Had VMart accepted a slight paycut to stay in the beloved town that loves 40 year old Jason Varitek, Salty would be the backup catcher and Varitek would be playing for the team where old washed up players are finally kicked out of MLB.  Varitek propaganda is so profusive, it is necessary to see the reality of the old urban legend magic fingers man who moves like he's had joint fusion surgery.  

Glad to see UR finally making some kind of concession. And you know how CERA is properly measured. You surprise me.

Tek has started 32 games this year. Catching over 250 IP definitely qualifies him and allows for a decent frame of reference, especially if he's allowed to catch Lester/Lackey more often.

You must admit Salty has improved. He has decent opposite field pop as well.
    He's young and controllable, which also should fall in your favor.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Varitek BA .245 OBP .336 SLG .373 You still don't get it: these are excellent numbers for a back up catcher. He's got the 19th best catcher OPS in MLB out of the top 36 in PAs (120+) Starting Pitching ERA 4.10    You still don't get it: Staff ERA with VTek: 3.44  with Salty: 4.36  You don't get this either: Det CERA: Santos: 2.00 Avila:   4.07 VMart: 4.40 (vs easier opponents according to clown sherlock here) Opponents OPS: VTEK: .643 Salty: .724 VMart: .762 (vs easier opponents than VTek and Salty faced) 290 Innings Assists 20 Double Plays 1, Passed Balls 4, Errors 0, CS 22% Salty's got about 1/3 more innings caught and about twice the WPs and 50% more PBs. Salty has a 25% CS rate. VMart BA .333 OBP .383 SLG .494 Not when he has to squat and catch. Starting Pitching ERA 4.49 171 Innings Assists 14  Double Plays 3 Passed Balls 0 Errors 1 CS 25% 120 less innings caught than VTek and just 1 less WP (8 to 9) Totals: VTek  13 WP+PB/290 inn VMart 11 WP+PB/190 inn Funny how you used to use WPs against VTek, now you stopped when the balance tilted the other way. Notice Variteks passed balls. Without even considering that VMart is catching the bottom of the Tiger Rotation, most of the time, You still don't get it: Porcello is his most caught pitcher: CERA with Porcello: Santos  1.35 Avila      4.74 VMart    4.85 ...VMart should have been kept, defensive catcher signed as the backup, Salty starting off in AAA, then transition VMart to backup catcher in year 3 and 4 of his contract, after Ortiz ages out. You still don't get it... VMart is not a full-time catcher anymore for a reason. VMart would not have replaced Papi for 3 years, because Papi will probably be here 2 more years after this. If not, we'd have VMart and the Yanks Papi: brilliant idea, clown!
    Posted by moonslav59

Excellent data, Moon.

The scary part is Softy working on a 'contingency basis' to expose gov. fraud.
    No wonder things are so FU.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Chuckle

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

tom, after the list of players that excludes the great Jed Lowrie, will he be allowed to play with the brothers in that NJ league you slur?

Posting at 4 AM most nights I suspect you don't have a job.

Is it 4 AM in every part of your make believe world? You are a dim bulb.

Steve, define "the elite" and specifically list the "abuses".

Sections
Shortcuts