Varitek in September

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Varitek in September

Anyone else notice that since September 5, Varitek is 1 for 24 and his average is down to .218.

Wow.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: Varitek in September

This has pretty much been happening every year for several years.  It's very noticeable how, from the left-hand side, his mechanics tend to deteriorate as the season wears on and all the pre-swing twitches and waggles get bigger.    

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In Response to Varitek in September:
    Anyone else notice that since September 5, Varitek is 1 for 24 and his average is down to .218. Wow.
    Posted by ADG

In addition to that , they are just running at will on him.  He is Beckett's personal catcher, but Beckett shakes him off repeatedly. It does not even make any sense.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Varitek in September:
    Anyone else notice that since September 5, Varitek is 1 for 24 and his average is down to .218. Wow.
    Posted by ADG

Tek has done this for years "start good/finish poorly" which is why he doesn't start anymore.  Hes not here to hit so anytime he does is a plus.  His job is mentoring Salty and trying to call the best game possible.  I was surprised Reynolds of all people took Josh deep last night.  Give the guy a steady diet of off speed stuff and he normally SO.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Diamondtalk. Show Diamondtalk's posts

It's time for Varitek to retire.   If he comes back at all it should be in a coaching capacity.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

He did have an .852 OPS in August, so that's a switch.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Re: Varitek in September:
    He did have an .852 OPS in August, so that's a switch.
    Posted by moonslav59

He still shows flashes of offense which we could use right about now but he does his job.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1958lesspaul. Show 1958lesspaul's posts

Varitek is a huge defensive liability in the most important defensive position on the field. As for hitting, his numbers are terrible. And don't post catcher hitting numbers, because Varitek can't field the position.

Varitek needs to be shown the door.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from crmn19. Show crmn19's posts

Because of location I'm was forced to watch any series vs. the O's on thier network.  The O's announcers were pointing out that this season Varitek's average (such as it is) comes from the right and his power from the left.  There are some decisions that need to be made with this team as far as cleaning out (for lack of a better word) older players.  We all like our hard-working heroes, but there comes a time. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Is there any player in all of baseball who aren't capable of stealing a base off of Tek?

And we thought Posada tried to hang on for too long.........

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1958lesspaul. Show 1958lesspaul's posts

We all like our hard-working heroes, but there comes a time.                                   

Legacy costs for good ole boy Union members.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from FredMertz. Show FredMertz's posts

But he has that huge C on his jersey, just like a hockey player!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_4411895. Show user_4411895's posts

But he's got a huge 'C' on his jersey, just like those hockey guys!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucbom. Show lucbom's posts

In Response to Re: Varitek in September:
    In Response to Varitek in September : In addition to that , they are just running at will on him.  He is Beckett's personal catcher, but Beckett shakes him off repeatedly. It does not even make any sense.
    Posted by dgalehouse

Your right "gdale".  While it must be said that Varitek, in his prime, was a force and a positive contributing player, sadly he is no more.  What gets me is that even though his hitting and defense (no arm whatsoever) is the pits for the most part, Francona continues to play him.  One would think that ANY catcher in the Red Sox farm system has to be better than the Veritek of today, and yes I know, when it comes to calling pitches, Veritek is the very best of all time, at least that is what a lot of folks keep saying, but is that enough?  I sure don't think so.  Veritek, Wake, Drew, Lackey, Lowrie, McDonald, and maybe even Ortiz, need to be dropped from the roster in 2012, for starters.  Ortiz has been a force for the Red Sox, even this year, but, he's up there in years, is not a positional player, can't run the bases, even though he thinks so, but he will want big bucks, and is not worth it.  I know that I've strayed from the Veritek post, but this team is going to go through a major overhaul for the 2012 season, and what's scary about that is Theo and Francona more than likely will be making those decisions.  Sorry for venting.  I, along with many others, are just frustrated with the way the season has gone this year, even with the Sox winning (I think) 90+ games, and that is not even a given.  GO SOX DESPITE THEO AND FRANCONA!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

v-tek and salty are strikeout machines, whenever either of them have 2 strikes on em with 2 outs, u might as well change the channel cuz a commercial is coming very soon

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from cpjohn1. Show cpjohn1's posts

Should have kept Victor.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

OK, so increase Teks BA to 4 times what it is for September - they're still 2.5 games back because the Pitching staff is still giving up too many runs.

The team isn't counting on run production for Tek therefore his lack of run production is a non-factor.

The pitching is giving up over 6 runs per game.  Expecting the offense to score a touchdown every night to win isn't realistic.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1958lesspaul. Show 1958lesspaul's posts

Wakefield requires a touchdown and a field goal.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

"...As for hitting, his numbers are terrible. And don't post catcher hitting numbers.."

You mean don't bother proving you wrong with the facts.

VTek has the 19th best catcher OPS in MLB among the top 30 catchers by PA.

19th best. He's our back-up! We win when he catches.

Softy loves blaming the whole season on our 6/7 starter and back-up catcher.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bald-predictions. Show bald-predictions's posts

I,m more concerned with his faltering cera numbers.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1958lesspaul. Show 1958lesspaul's posts

We win when he catches.

False.

You immediately did exactly what I knew you would do, which is ignore how pitiful a defender Varitek is and how pitiful he is in the last part of the season. Posting partial season OPS numbers for a guy who can field the position is one thing, Varitek can't field the position.

Reynolds made sure Varitek was a loser catcher. Your anecdotal nonsense is just that, nonsense.

Lowell died hard. Varitek is so pitiful he has his girlfriend claiming he can play another 3 years.

I don't think another team would have Varitek for more than a minor league contract. But if so, may they invest innings in an old womanizer.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

We win when he catches.

False.

I've seen your "research based" evidence. The fact remains we win way more when Vtek catches and the trend has been steady for several years, despite his steep decline in defensive performance as measured by throwing and blocking the plate. 

You immediately did exactly what I knew you would do, which is ignore how pitiful a defender Varitek is and how pitiful he is in the last part of the season. 

I have never disputed the fact that VTek has declined steeply in defense as measured by CS%, blocking the plate, and makin plays in front of the plate.

CS%: 14% is awful. However, every catcher that comes to Boston sees a steep decline in their CS% due to the ineptitude of the staff and the team philosophy of not holding runners.

PB/WP: He's had 8 PBs in his last 200+ games. It does seem like there are more WPs recently, but I don't have the numbers.

Fielding in front of the plate: RF/9 is up, but I do not trust that as evidence that he is more mobile. I concede he is worse.

Posting partial season OPS numbers for a guy who can field the position is one thing, Varitek can't field the position. 

You were the one who brought up his offense as being horrible. By showing you were wrong on that point for about the 50th time, shows that you get an idea in your head, believe it to be a fact, then never let go, no matter how much evidence is presented to prove you wrong. You expect a catcher to hit .290 with an OPS of .850, then gte in line. (By the way, how's the Minnesota and Florida small market strategy working compared to TB's?)

Reynolds made sure Varitek was a loser catcher. Your anecdotal nonsense is just that, nonsense.

I didn't argue with your defensive evaluation of VTek. I said we "win more" with VTek, and we do. We don't win because he hits well, but we don't lose because of his hitting either. He's about an average hitting STARTING catcher in MLB, but he's putting up the numbers in a back-up role. You still think his offense is a weakness of this team. You are still the same old silly clown.

You refuse to recognize a catcher's intangibles that contribute to teams increased or decreased chances of winning. You'll call it voodoo even if you flip heads 100 times in a row.

Lowell died hard. Varitek is so pitiful he has his girlfriend claiming he can play another 3 years. 

You bashed Mikey mercilessly after you had called for him to platoon with Papi. You then bashed other posters for even daring to platoon Papi and called all of them racists. How messed up is that? 

I don't think another team would have Varitek for more than a minor league contract. But if so, may they invest innings in an old womanizer.

You'd think it was your woman with all the hatred you vent towards him.
    You must really hate OCab, Boggs and the many other players who cheat and womanize. Oh yeah, "hate" is a word only liberals can use. 

Silly clown. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1958lesspaul. Show 1958lesspaul's posts

You bashed Mikey mercilessly after you had called for him to platoon with Papi.

Once the pre-season injury was disclosed, on wanted him off the roster. You wanted Ortiz released and Lowell as DH and insurance for Youk and Beltre.

Varitek can't field the position, nor can he hit much more than zero in the late part of the season.

If you believe farm and cheap trade talent isn't better than Varitek and Wakefied, it confirms why you are there biggest chearleader.

Sections
Shortcuts