Varitek: O's 'can literally kiss my rear end'

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from -EdithBunker-. Show -EdithBunker-'s posts

Varitek: O's 'can literally kiss my rear end'

From WEEI:

Tired of listening to Baltimore's young players complain about the discrepancy in payrolls as the main reason for the big difference between the Red Sox and Orioles in the standing, Red Sox captain Jason Varitek finally decided to set the record straight following Sunday's 8-6 win that completed a four-game series sweep heading into the All-Star break. 

"We have some youth, too. So they can literally kiss my rear end," Varitek said, when asked if he thought other teams like the Orioles were jealous of the Red Sox and they're massive financial resources.

To Varitek's point, the Red Sox started 24-year-old Kyle Weiland Sunday in his major league debut, the same age as Josh Reddick, who has assumed a regular spot in left field in the absence of the injured Carl Crawford. 

Kevin Gregg, who instigated Friday's brawl with David Ortiz, said after that game the Orioles won't be "intimidated" by the Red Sox and their "$180 million" payroll. Orioles manager Buck Showalter ruffled feathers in spring training when he said he takes pride in "kicking the butts" of the Red Sox and general manager Theo Epstein, and their well-paid roster. 

The Red Sox and Orioles completed a heated, four-game weekend series in which eight uniformed personnel were ejected, including four players in the brawl Friday night and both managers from Sunday's game, that featured three more batters hit by pitches and Mike Gonzalez throwing behind Ortiz in the sixth. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

Re: Varitek: O's 'can literally kiss my rear end'

The Oriole players are proving through their play that they don't deserve to be paid as well.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from fenwayjack2. Show fenwayjack2's posts

It matters not if Gregg proclaims the O's will not be intimated by Boston.  I say good for them to show some spirit.  However, Boston won all 4 and that's all that matters. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mattb5fon. Show mattb5fon's posts

looks like buck cant run his mouth after this series. also at this point you would have to be relevant to make those comments. if it were the rays that said it more people would respond since they compete

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from blingblang. Show blingblang's posts

The cliche "you get what you pay for" was never more evident than the recent series against the O's.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mattb5fon. Show mattb5fon's posts

plus the rays cant sign free agents since they dont have the payroll. The O's do and still cant get anyone (Tex shunned an amazing offer) obviously not as good as NY but he didnt go because the team is not competitive. Why not spend the amoun of money they were willing to pay tex and get a couple of good players. Off my soapbox

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from fenwayjack2. Show fenwayjack2's posts

In Response to Re: Varitek: O's 'can literally kiss my rear end':
    [QUOTE]looks like buck cant run his mouth after this series. also at this point you would have to be relevant to make those comments. if it were the rays that said it more people would respond since they compete
    Posted by mattb5fon[/QUOTE]

I actually like and respect Madden.  If we didn't have Francona I'd definitely want him. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Varitek: O's 'can literally kiss my rear end':
    [QUOTE]From WEEI: Tired of listening to Baltimore's young players complain about the discrepancy in payrolls as the main reason for the big difference between the Red Sox and Orioles in the standing, Red Sox captain Jason Varitek finally decided to set the record straight following Sunday's 8-6 win that completed a four-game series sweep heading into the All-Star break.  "We have some youth, too. So they can literally kiss my rear end," Varitek said, when asked if he thought other teams like the Orioles were jealous of the Red Sox and they're massive financial resources. To Varitek's point, the Red Sox started 24-year-old Kyle Weiland Sunday in his major league debut, the same age as Josh Reddick, who has assumed a regular spot in left field in the absence of the injured Carl Crawford.  Kevin Gregg, who instigated Friday's brawl with David Ortiz, said after that game the Orioles won't be "intimidated" by the Red Sox and their "$180 million" payroll. Orioles manager Buck Showalter ruffled feathers in spring training when he said he takes pride in "kicking the butts" of the Red Sox and general manager Theo Epstein, and their well-paid roster.  The Red Sox and Orioles completed a heated, four-game weekend series in which eight uniformed personnel were ejected, including four players in the brawl Friday night and both managers from Sunday's game, that featured three more batters hit by pitches and Mike Gonzalez throwing behind Ortiz in the sixth. 
    Posted by -EdithBunker-[/QUOTE]

I knew when Showalter took over the Orioles it would make a bad team even worse.  I never imagined him turning them into a bunch of poor sports. 

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MikeNagy. Show MikeNagy's posts

Peter Angelos has money out the ying yang. Whose fault is it that he won't invest any of it in making the Orioles competitive? They used to be a proud winning franchise, not a bunch of whining excuse makers.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from niz-58. Show niz-58's posts

[QUOTE]Peter Angelos has money out the ying yang. Whose fault is it that he won't invest any of it in making the Orioles competitive? They used to be a proud winning franchise, not a bunch of whinning excuse makers.
    Posted by MikeNagy[/QUOTE]

Too bad they won't put as much effort into playing fundamentaly sound baseball as they do whining.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

as with the Yanks and D-Backs, seems the bloom is already off the Showalter rose...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mistercharlietoldmeso. Show Mistercharlietoldmeso's posts

Am I reading these correctly.....
    RedSox fans defending the disparity in payroll...!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

*  Why do people think that if the owner has money that he should directly invest that money into the business?  It doesn't make any sense.  The private money comes into play when the team is bought.  After that, revenues cover expesnes.  I don't know of any businesses (other than tiny family-run businesses) where the owner would ever consider paying an employee directly out of their own pocket.  Maybe the owner takes less of a salary draw to cover expenses but to pay directly out of one's pocket is utter non-sense.

*  Sox have a top payroll but hardly top media market.  On an Index-basis (Payroll: Size of Market), the Sox over-index perhaps more than any team).  That is the sign of a loyal and robust fan base coupled with a well-run organization.   In other words, based on the size of the Boston/Northern New England Market given the Sox payroll, the yankee's payroll should be about 500 million per year and the O's should be about 200 million per year.  In short, you can not cite the Sox payroll for having an "unfair competitive advantage" - Boston is not a huge market....Therefore, the Sox earned that ability to have a great payroll!!!!!!!!!!!  (conversly, the yankees and mets were born with a silver spoon in their mouths).....

Anyways, for the O's to complain about the Sox payroll is, in the words of one Kevin Gregg - BUSH LEAGUE!!!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from niz-58. Show niz-58's posts

[QUOTE]Am I reading these correctly..... RedSox fans defending the disparity in payroll...!!
    Posted by Mistercharlietoldmeso[/QUOTE]

I don't remember the Sox manager ever complaining. Do you?

Fans can complain all they want. The manager should be concentrating on getting his team to play better. This "we have a chip on our shoulders" gets them nowhere.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from GEAUX-TIGRES. Show GEAUX-TIGRES's posts

[QUOTE]The cliche "you get what you pay for" was never more evident than the recent series against the O's.
    Posted by blingblang[/QUOTE]
    That was my sentiment before the Sox began acquiring top notch personnel early in the '01 and '02 seasons. Until they did, i never felt they would ever be able to contend in the AL east. Finally giving into the Yankee way is the right way. Otherwise, mediocrity and the elusive WSC would remain unattainable. They finally get it.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jamesey271975. Show jamesey271975's posts

"Kevin Gregg, who instigated Friday's brawl with David Ortiz, said after that game the Orioles
     won't be "intimidated" by the Red Sox and their "$180 million" payroll."

Based on their performance at actually PLAYING BASEBALL, they should be intimidated by any team from A level up. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

Am I reading these correctly..... RedSox fans defending the disparity in payroll...!!
    Posted by Mistercharlietoldmeso

I don't remember the Sox manager ever complaining. Do you? Fans can complain all they want. The manager should be concentrating on getting his team to play better. This "we have a chip on our shoulders" gets them nowhere.
    Posted by niz-58

what does that have to do with the post you responded to

N O T H I N G

then again what did teks comments have to do

with the comments he was responding

"We have some youth, too. ," Varitek said, when asked if he thought other teams like the Orioles were jealous of the Red Sox and they're massive financial resources.

it appears to me  that

Mistercharlietoldmeso  was right 

RSN is  defending the disparity in payroll

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

O's have plenty enough cash to compete.  Angelos is just a cheap bastahd this decade.  Also, the once proud organization has lost its touch in scouting, drafting and is nothing if not inept when they they do dip a big toe tentatively into the free agent waters.

I thought Bucky's little tirade is spring training was cute and a good way to get his boys feeling some David vs. Goliath mojo.  Problem is, they ae just not very good at the whole baseball part of it.  Now they are left with the Davy/Goliath part of it, but it is just straight up classless whining without any baseball to back it up.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from niz-58. Show niz-58's posts

[QUOTE]Am I reading these correctly..... RedSox fans defending the disparity in payroll...!! Posted by Mistercharlietoldmeso  I don't remember the Sox manager ever complaining. Do you? Fans can complain all they want. The manager should be concentrating on getting his team to play better. This "we have a chip on our shoulders" gets them nowhere. Posted by niz-58 what does that have to do with the post you responded to N O T H I N G then again what did teks comments have to do   with the comments he was responding "We have some youth, too. ," Varitek said, when asked if he thought other teams like the Orioles were jealous of the Red Sox and they're massive financial resources . it appears to me  that   Mistercharlietoldmeso  was right  RSN is  defending the disparity in payroll
    Posted by pinstripezac32[/QUOTE]

I'm going to make very simple for you, because I know simple is was you do best.

Just Because a Sox fan here doesn't think a player (who, I'm sure didn't take the lowest bid during free agency)or manager shouldn't be b!tching about payroll, it doesn't mean they think the MLB payroll situation is fair.

It is possible to agree with a player or manager's opinion, but not think it's a smart move to say it publicly.

And I know Yankee fans get a big chuckle out of every stupid think posted here by Sox fans. It feeds a need to feel superior for some of you, but saying "RSN" in general, as if we all think the same is equally stupid.

I'm sure I could go to Yankee.com and find posts that you wouldn't agree with.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaffyDan. Show DaffyDan's posts

Angelos destroyed the Oriole franchise.  

His revenues went up when he built Camden Yards, yet he continues to field mediocre teams. 

Pitching, defense, and the three run homer is no longer the team mantra.  They have no mantra. No philosophy. No idea. 

Getting into throwing inside pissing matches with other teams isn't going to fix that. 

-Daf. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

The Orioles are an irrelevant team.  I thought maybe they would be more competitive this year w/ the bats they added but it's been the same old song and dance for these guys for over a decade now.

Best thing to do is not allow them to win another game vs us. 

It will also be nice to see the O's get booed in their own home park when they play the Sox.  Especially when Gregg takes the mound. 

If a Sox player gets hit, just walk to first and beat them.  No retailiation because that is what they want - to get one of our guys tossed and suspended....Hopefully, it will backfire on them.  Anyways, that would be my plan.  Of course, all bets are off if there is any intentional head hunting.  From the shoulders down just take it...But above the shoulders and we go to war.....

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from niz-58. Show niz-58's posts

[QUOTE]The Orioles are an irrelevant team.  I thought maybe they would be more competitive this year w/ the bats they added but it's been the same old song and dance for these guys for over a decade now. Best thing to do is not allow them to win another game vs us.  It will also be nice to see the O's get booed in their own home park when they play the Sox.  Especially when Gregg takes the mound.  If a Sox player gets hit, just walk to first and beat them.  No retailiation because that is what they want - to get one of our guys tossed and suspended....Hopefully, it will backfire on them.  Anyways, that would be my plan.  Of course, all bets are off if there is any intentional head hunting.  From the shoulders down just take it...But above the shoulders and we go to war.....
    Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE]

Yeah, Ortiz should've just let the Gregg bark, he was tossed anyway. Ortiz let his emotions get the best of him, unfortunately. Good thing neither he or Gregg connected on those hooks they threw. That would've been ugly.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

hi nizzy!

one thing that I really loved seeing was big john lackey right smack dab in the middle of that scrum defending his teammates. plus watching scoot's jumping on greggs back had me laughing my butt off. he looked like he was greggs backpack he was so small compared to the 6-4 230lb gregg. papi could have saved himself alot of grief not swinging at a 3-0 pitch when we were up by 7 runs or so. plus, a split second after gregg shouted at papi to run the bases, the blueman threw him outta the game.

but I dygress: I agree with Tek and yeah the O's can kiss his azz. the oriholes suck plain and simple and are gonna get swept next week in their own park. bank on it.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

actually, assuming the reader went to public/government school, thank a taxpayer!

actually, thank the people who forced the taxpayer to make the actual payment!!!!!!!!

Sections
Shortcuts