Varitek Says He's Not Quite Dead Yet

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Varitek Says He's Not Quite Dead Yet

It's close, but his DH numbers are very nice.

169 PAs:  .370/.420/.591/1.011
    6 HRs and 34 RBIs in 41 games
    (162 pace: 24 Hrs and 135 RBIs)

He's getting paid about the same as Papi.

I'd say he is about worth his $12M this year, but the question waqs always about his issues as a catcher and years 2-4 ($38M/3).

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

I think the Tigers made the right move.
    And so did Boston.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I think so too. They also probably have concerns about their 1Bman's drinking issues as well, and having VMart eases that concern a bit as well.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

It sure will be interesting to re-visit this around 2013-14.
    Also, I wonder if, by then, the Tigers will have deep regrets trading Miller.
    I hope so!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Stunning silence ... by You know who. Or as in Harry Potter - He who must NOT be named. (Mostly because the name keeps changing)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

...and after reading all these amazing stats is one to conclude that without Tek catching, both Lester and Beckett are mediocre pitchers at best?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

Saltaralphmacchio...lol.  Varitek is my favorite. I couldn't be happier for him. The two homeruns was something I think surprised a lot of people. Makes it even better. IMO  And I already know about his value behind the plate. That part is not a surprise to me. No one does it better.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

In Response to Re: Varitek Says He's Not Quite Dead Yet:
    [QUOTE]...and after reading all these amazing stats is one to conclude that without Tek catching, both Lester and Beckett are mediocre pitchers at best?
    Posted by traven[/QUOTE]

Not at all Traven. They are good pitchers regardless of who catches them. But they get better results with better catchers. There's nothing wrong with
    going, say,  17-10 3.68 ERA. Hardly "mediocre". That's a good year.
    But 19-7  2.50 is better.

AGONE is a great hitter. But some tough southpaws compromise his ability.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxcorpseman. Show redsoxcorpseman's posts

Cameron hit two homers on one game, earlier in the year. The Red Sox could improve the position, on the side of the ball most people pay no attention to. And, no, that's not CERA. The team that offers Varitek another contract will regret it.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]Cameron hit two homers on one game, earlier in the year. The Red Sox could improve the position, on the side of the ball most people pay no attention to. And, no, that's not CERA. The team that offers Varitek another contract will regret it.
    Posted by redsoxcorpseman[/QUOTE]

The only way people who don't understand Varitek's value are going to be convinced is when he IS no longer here, unfortunately.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]Cameron hit two homers on one game, earlier in the year. The Red Sox could improve the position, on the side of the ball most people pay no attention to. And, no, that's not CERA. The team that offers Varitek another contract will regret it.

Babe Ruth hit 3 HR's in one game - the only time he ever did it- and it came in his final year...with the Boston Braves. He hit .181 that year, his worst ever.

You wanted Jake gone, was against the CC signing, and wanted Cam as the starting CF'er this year. How's that workin' out for ya?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxcorpseman. Show redsoxcorpseman's posts

Actually, the team hasn't done anything impressive on the pitching and catcher defense side of the ball since 2007. The reality is that the sky won't fall when the old fan favorite is booted out of the game.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Jack Clark and Kevin Millar each hit 3 homers in a game for Sox....

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]Actually, the team hasn't done anything impressive on the pitching and catcher defense side of the ball since 2007. The reality is that the sky won't fall when the old fan favorite is booted out of the game.

There was no need to revamp the pitching staff, beyond adding depth in the middle.
    I agree that VMART was nothing impressive defensively.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxcorpseman. Show redsoxcorpseman's posts

You agree that AGon is still with the Padres.

VMart is making a lot more money than two-timer Varitek. There is a reason for that.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]You agree that AGon is still with the Padres. VMart is making a lot more money than two-timer Varitek. There is a reason for that.

Those that cant/wont see Teks value clearly has no baseball IQ, is just a troll or both..How pathetic is it to bash your back-up catcher when hes doing a great job as a back-up and a mentor..most of your predictions were laughable at best anyway..Now your being proven wrong by Wake, Tek, Jake, Beckett  and your "Cameron should be in center over Ells" take was pure insanity..Good job..blue star..

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Varitek Says He's Not Quite Dead Yet : His worth was on display with Lester. Note: 2nd time in a row he catches Lester: Lester throws his 5th shutout (shutdown performance) with Tek since last year, when 67% of his 2010 outings with Tek were shutouts. Is Lester not in the same form as he has been all this year? Tek was assigned to Miller right off the bat. Tek caught Dice after he imploded. Tek was first assigned Aceves. Tek continues to catch Josh. Tek gets Lester for the 2nd straight time and look what happens. My my my - so many coincidences for a " back-up " catcher.
    Posted by harness[/QUOTE]

Didn't Lester go 19-9, and was 4th in CY voting with Vmart catching him last year?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Alibi that immaterial.  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Post a thread with Tek's name in it and you can be sure most of the posts will be from Harness-Moon.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

[QUOTE]Alibi that immaterial.  
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]

Yes, but not to Harness. He takes every opportunity to beat up on Vmart. I'm just giving him another shot.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Varitek Says He's Not Quite Dead Yet : Didn't Lester go 19-9, and was 4th in CY voting with Vmart catching him last year?
    Posted by Alibiike[/QUOTE]

There are cases for both sides(cera)..yes, I believe your right..I wouldnt mind seeing the splits though..

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Didn't Lester go 19-9, and was 4th in CY voting with Vmart catching him last year?

Actually, no he didn't.

VMart only caught him in 22 games out of 32.

His ERA with VMart was 3.64 (136 IP). That's not quite Cy Young territory.
    With Cash 3.38 (26.2 IP).
    With Brown 2.57 (7)
    With VTek 1.88  (38.1)

Lester's overall ERA was 3.25 in 2010.

3.64 with VMart is not bad at all, but clearly his ERAwas lowered greatly when anyone else but VMart caught him. We don't know if that would have continued had VMart never caught Lester at all, but his trends over the years show he gets less when compared to his back-ups from almost every pitcher he catches. The trends also show VTek gets more out of the pitchers he catches.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Thanks for the stats Moon..I do believe that certain pitchers feel more comfortable with certain catchers..There are a number of reasons for that, from CERA to just a simple personality thing..Some folks just dont vibe with others, for no reason. But I do believe that Tek gets the best out of his counterparts, and I also believe his presence behind the plate puts some at ease more. That says a lot. What also says a lot about Tek was when his peers voted him to the All-Star team a couple years ago even when he was batting like .230. A mix of todays stats, good ol' fashion scouting, and knowing a player personally is the best mix for success IMO..

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

VTek is still teaching Salty, it is a tough call next year whether to keep him on.   I agree, his worth is handling the pitchers, he is one of the best.   You can't argue with success.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

I don't understand all this criticism of Vtek, given his current role on the team.  He's certainly holding his own on the team as a backup/split catcher and the catchers are the only one whom I feel can come off the bench and get a hit when they're not starting.

Right now I'll take 'Tek/Salty as PH's over anyone else occupying the pine.

Of course, the real problems here are that Softy continues to "Tell The Big Lie" about Vtek in hopes that someone, anyone, will believe him and by repeating it over and over he thinks he gives credibility to it. (Typical Republican Strategy, BTW) [Sorry about the political comment - it just seems appropriate at this time] 
    The other problem is that some people are looking for 'Tek to turn back the clock ten years and be what he was in the early part of the century, and that ain't gonna happen! He is what he is, and he brings what he brings to the team. I like what he is and what he brings, especially as compared to what he's making and as compared to other bench personnel in the league.

Thre are still people on this team whom I'd like to see released, but Tek isn't one of them.