Varitek Says He's Not Quite Dead Yet

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

Re: Varitek Says He's Not Quite Dead Yet

The catching situation, especially with Varitek pulling a Lazarus, has been a pleasant surprise. Now if either one of these guys could throw an occasional runner out it would be pure bliss.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ncsoxfan4life. Show ncsoxfan4life's posts

MUST HEIDI LOVE MAKING HIM FEEL YOUNG

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaffyDan. Show DaffyDan's posts

In Response to Re: Varitek Says He's Not Quite Dead Yet:
    [QUOTE]Stunning silence ... by You know who. Or as in Harry Potter - He who must NOT be named. (Mostly because the name keeps changing)
    Posted by nhsteven[/QUOTE]

He who can't keep a name. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]Thanks for the stats Moon..I do believe that certain pitchers feel more comfortable with certain catchers..There are a number of reasons for that, from CERA to just a simple personality thing..Some folks just dont vibe with others, for no reason. But I do believe that Tek gets the best out of his counterparts, and I also believe his presence behind the plate puts some at ease more. That says a lot. What also says a lot about Tek was when his peers voted him to the All-Star team a couple years ago even when he was batting like .230. A mix of todays stats, good ol' fashion scouting, and knowing a player personally is the best mix for success IMO..
    Posted by southpaw777[/QUOTE]

It's not just a case of certain pitchers gelling with certain catchers.
    Last year, 90% of all RedSox pitchers did worse with VMART than his counter-parts. That's a very poor reflection on VMART, and is why he now is a well-paid DH who moonlights as a back-up receiver.

The only two pitchers who did better with VMART last year were MDC, who imploded due to injury, and Buchholz. In Buck's case, there is no credible frame of reference, as VMART caught him exclusively.

This year, once again, the trend leans toward Tek, but it's hard to draw a credible analogy because Tito wisely pairs the pitcher/catcher equation.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]Didn't Lester go 19-9, and was 4th in CY voting with Vmart catching him last year? Actually, no he didn't. VMart only caught him in 22 games out of 32. His ERA with VMart was 3.64 (136 IP). That's not quite Cy Young territory. With Cash 3.38 (26.2 IP). With Brown 2.57 (7) With VTek 1.88  (38.1) Lester's overall ERA was 3.25 in 2010. 3.64 with VMart is not bad at all, but clearly his ERAwas lowered greatly when anyone else but VMart caught him. We don't know if that would have continued had VMart never caught Lester at all, but his trends over the years show he gets less when compared to his back-ups from almost every pitcher he catches. The trends also show VTek gets more out of the pitchers he catches.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

Why Moon, don't you know that this is all "immaterial" - 50/50 at best?
    This according to the gimpy brains of Burrito and his master baiter.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Varitek Says He's Not Quite Dead Yet : He who can't keep a name. 
    Posted by DaffyDan[/QUOTE]

Yes, that's more appropo.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Thanks for the stats Moon..I do believe that certain pitchers feel more comfortable with certain catchers..There are a number of reasons for that, from CERA to just a simple personality thing..Some folks just dont vibe with others, for no reason. But I do believe that Tek gets the best out of his counterparts, and I also believe his presence behind the plate puts some at ease more. That says a lot. What also says a lot about Tek was when his peers voted him to the All-Star team a couple years ago even when he was batting like .230. A mix of todays stats, good ol' fashion scouting, and knowing a player personally is the best mix for success IMO..

I think a lot goes into why almost all pitchers do better with VTek than other catchers on the Sox, but as I have said before. I don't care if it is the cologne he wears or the deodorant. They do better, and it is not luck. It's as predictable as AGon hitting better than Scutaro.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Why Moon, don't you know that this is all "immaterial" - 50/50 at best?

Yes, "50-50" they all said, but none would take my 2:1 odds that VTek would have better CERAs than Salty in 2011 with more pitchers that both catch a significant amount of time.

No takers.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Yes. I recall that. You'd think those who see CERA as voo-doo would take you up on such a bet. I guess gimpy brains have gimpy knees.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

If I'll remember anything about this board, it's the CERA battles; and the insults.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Yet when it came to anti-up time, look what happened: They ran like roaches.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]Yet when it came to anti-up time, look what happened: They ran like roaches.
    Posted by harness[/QUOTE]

This is standard board behavior.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Yes. I recall that. You'd think those who see CERA as voo-doo would take you up on such a bet. I guess gimpy brains have gimpy knees.

It happened every year for 10 years, but they still called it luck (or voodoo).

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

In my world, Moon, when there's a difference of opinion that can't be settled, that's when it's time to put up or shut up. In UR case, you offered 2-1 odds and the CERA opponents shut up.

That's the bottom line. And the poster who went on his mocking anti-CERA rant - the one who promised for two years he'd deploy an alternative mode of measurement - coincidently disappeared.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I hope someone does come up with an "alternative" methodology for measuring catcher relevance. I am certain the numbers will back up VTek.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

I hope other modes of measurement are valid. There is innovative data out there, but it's suspect.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxcorpseman. Show redsoxcorpseman's posts

Now your being proven wrong by Wake

You are right. He pitched well, tonight, and sports an ERA that is near the 5 plus it has been since the last half of 2009. Where I was wrong is not what a great pitcher he is, but that he hasn't had the lapband surgery I said he would have. The man looks great. He belongs;) 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxcorpseman. Show redsoxcorpseman's posts

I wish Ivan Rodrigues and Charles Johson had been Red Sox career long catchers. Just to make a Jim Rice point. If Varitek was as important has Harness' life depends on, he would be as good Carlton Fisk.

Go Harness, go..............

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxcorpseman. Show redsoxcorpseman's posts

I wish Ivan Rodrigues and Charles Johson had been Red Sox career long catchers. Just to make a Jim Rice point. If Varitek was as important has Harness' life depends on, he would be as good Carlton Fisk. Let Harness tell you why is idol is a HOF"er

Go Harness, go..............

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Rice in the HOF is a surprise in itself. One-dimensional player. Great hitter. No rings. Outfielders have such a vast knowledge of catching, don't they.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxcorpseman. Show redsoxcorpseman's posts

More than your knowledge of catching or AGon being traded.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

But that's just 50/50.
    Or is it voo-doo?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxcorpseman. Show redsoxcorpseman's posts

No, it's 100%, and you practice voo-doo.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Wily Mo may surpass Hall in the hall of shame.
    But he doesn't have his versatility - he'll need a couple of more teams to release him.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]Thanks for the stats Moon..I do believe that certain pitchers feel more comfortable with certain catchers..There are a number of reasons for that, from CERA to just a simple personality thing..Some folks just dont vibe with others, for no reason. But I do believe that Tek gets the best out of his counterparts, and I also believe his presence behind the plate puts some at ease more. That says a lot. What also says a lot about Tek was when his peers voted him to the All-Star team a couple years ago even when he was batting like .230. A mix of todays stats, good ol' fashion scouting, and knowing a player personally is the best mix for success IMO.. I think a lot goes into why almost all pitchers do better with VTek than other catchers on the Sox, but as I have said before. I don't care if it is the cologne he wears or the deodorant. They do better, and it is not luck. It's as predictable as AGon hitting better than Scutaro.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

I agree 100%..The stats dont lie..But I would like to see another way to rate catchers besides CERA, just to help the CREA case.