Varitek Should Start: We need a catcher now who can stabilize this rotation

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Varitek Should Start: We need a catcher now who can stabilize this rotation

That is frustrating.  It's almost as frustrating as those who think the pitcher is solely responsible for hits and runs allowed.

While I don't think the influence is quite as strong as harness thinks it is, there's something there.  Does it have a drastic affect on ERA and hits allowed?  I don't know.  I tend to think no because of all of the external variables involved in ERA that are outside of the pitcher's control.  Does it have an affect on a pitcher's skills like strikeouts, walks, ground balls, home runs allowed?  I have to believe there's some effect.  There's been some compelling research that's been done recently.  Hopefully something will come of it so we can put this to rest once and for all. 

Thanks for the thoughtful response, 791. I do think we are goingto see a lot of new data coming out over the next few years. That data will be pu-pu'ed the same as CERA and other data is today by most on this board.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Re: Varitek Should Start: We need a catcher now who can stabilize this rotation

Moon, I think you may have something when you said it could be a lot of little things that add up. In addition, Joe Breidey felt it was about ability. Ya know, one hitter is better than another, one pitcher is better than another...and one catcher has more ability than another.

Ability to do what? Well, handle his pitchers emotionally so they can channel their abilities. Ability to recall pitch sequence one at bat to the next - hitter reactions - knowing when scouting reports are most valuable...and when it's best to go against them. It's a knack. An instinct. Ability to communicate. A pitcher's confidence level allows him greater margin for error, and if a pitcher isn't comfortable with his catcher, he doesn't explore all his assets.

I think it has a lot to do with a catcher's approach. This was discussed on the Caddy thread. Some catchers believe in setting up hitters for stikeouts over weak contact. IMO, this should be predicated on the pitcher's stuff. In other words, you don't use the same approach catching Bard as you would Oki.

I also think the tempo a catcher sets when making suggestions to his pitcher has an affect. Bill Lee didn't like pitching to Fisk. His numbers often reflect this. The catcher should comply to the pitcher's tempo. 

My point is, there are likely many reasons. But the reasons are secondary to the results. I can't sit here and tell you why Youk is a better hitter than Drew. But he is. I can guess it might have everything to do with approach/ability/eye-to-pitch coordination, etc. and I might be right, or I might miss the target.
    All that matters is the final product.

I can understand the frustration of seeing something that is hard to define. The universe comes to mind. But it's there - and that's a fact. I showed a catcher makes a difference. Anybody not seeing that is not willing to admit it. It's a truth. Paul Simon once talked about how he would begin a lyric. He said he began with a truth.
    The fun part is where it leads. And the truth is, sometimes we are simply never gonna find out. 

Perhaps for the best...