Varitek swinging on a 3-0 count!!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from LouV. Show LouV's posts

Varitek swinging on a 3-0 count!!

I can't take it anymore! Francoma is an idiot!!! He has got to be the worst
     mgr in the MLB. With a 3-0 count, and Varitek a diminished ballplayer with
     no bat, swings @ a high outside fast ball! Are you kidding me???? Even a
    little league mgr knows that @ situation, calls for an automatic "take" sign.
    You don't swing on a 3-0 count,unless your Ted Williams. This a great team,
     which is carrying Francoma! His dumb look, chewing tobacco and sunflower
    seeds & him should be retired to Class A ball.  LouV

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Re: Varitek swinging on a 3-0 count!!

In Response to Varitek swinging on a 3-0 count!!:
    [QUOTE]   I can't take it anymore! Francoma is an idiot!!! He has got to be the worst  mgr in the MLB. With a 3-0 count, and Varitek a diminished ballplayer with  no bat, swings @ a high outside fast ball! Are you kidding me???? Even a little league mgr knows that @ situation, calls for an automatic "take" sign. You don't swing on a 3-0 count,unless your Ted Williams. This a great team,  which is carrying Francoma! His dumb look, chewing tobacco and sunflower seeds & him should be retired to Class A ball.  LouV
    Posted by LouV[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure if Terry gave Tek the call but either way Jason popped up what looked to be "ball four" which could have loaded the bases. 

Not good judgement, especially for a veteren and team captain.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Tek's bad, not Francona's.  FWIW, a walk to Tek does not bring CC home.  It only gives someone else a shot at getting him home.  Or, in this case, another shot at a WP, which also scores Crawford. 

Tek is a veteran who normally can be trusted to swing or not in what is very favorable count for the batter. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PawsoxPhil. Show PawsoxPhil's posts

Did you check out the other threads before starting this one?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

It was a horrible moment by Tek. It cost us the game, and now we're one back in the standings after losing two of three at home to the damn Yankees.

Wait ... we won?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

3-0 count is a hitters count, one where there's a high probabiltiy the pitcher throws a get me over batting practice fastball right down main street...Especially to a guy in the bottom of lineup, who you'd expect would have the take sign with a .230 batting average.

I don't have a problem with letting him swing away, he got the pitch he wanted (fastball), one that was not that far out of the zone (K-zone on ESPN showd it to be a boarder line strike at the letters on the black), one that in a 2 strike count you have to offer at, ahead 3-0 Teks got to hold up and spit on that one and at worst you're 3-1 with two more hacks...I'm pretty sure the Tek knows that he gave away an at bat and probably said so when he got back to the bench.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In Response to Re: Varitek swinging on a 3-0 count!!:
    [QUOTE]3-0 count is a hitters count, one where there's a high probabiltiy the pitcher throws a get me over batting practice fastball right down main street...Especially to a guy in the bottom of lineup, who you'd expect would have the take sign with a .230 batting average. I don't have a problem with letting him swing away, he got the pitch he wanted (fastball), one that was not that far out of the zone (K-zone on ESPN showd it to be a boarder line strike at the letters on the black), one that in a 2 strike count you have to offer at, ahead 3-0 Teks got to hold up and spit on that one and at worst you're 3-1 with two more hacks...I'm pretty sure the Tek knows that he gave away an at bat and probably said so when he got back to the bench.
    Posted by Beantowne[/QUOTE]Morning Beans, i think it's safe to say that we've all watched enough games to know that 9 times out of 10, a batter will get a cookie on 3-0, most of the better hitters are green-lit, but they pretty much will take the pitch if it's not in exactly zone they are looking for or if they are down a few runs...occasionally they miss the pitch, or swing at something a tad off the plate or on the black(as Tek did)...unless there's CLEARLY a take sign, you can't blame the skipper..

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Hmmmm.  I think I'll start a thread about what a horrible, terrible, egregious error that Tek 3-0 greenlight swing was.  It definitely overshadowed the win.  I am furious.  Hmmm, wonder if I should check to see if anyone else has started a thread about this ... naaaaahhhhhh ....

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALaGatorAL. Show ALaGatorAL's posts

The problem with the whole situation is Tek isn't Tek anymore, PERIOD. Maybe he calls a great game but As Soon as Beckett left the game he should have been replaced and he would'nt have been at the plate to make that decision !! We all were very lucky with his hitting thus far in the season but anybody watching his first few plate appearances last night could have guessed the outcome of that "Green Light" !!  Varitek taking the walk, and that wasn't a given, may not get the run home but there was a "Hot" hitter, worried about his upcoming playing time, right behind him and it does help turn the lineup over so the Better hitters have a chance to bat again !!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]3-0 count is a hitters count, one where there's a high probabiltiy the pitcher throws a get me over batting practice fastball right down main street...Especially to a guy in the bottom of lineup, who you'd expect would have the take sign with a .230 batting average. I don't have a problem with letting him swing away, he got the pitch he wanted (fastball), one that was not that far out of the zone (K-zone on ESPN showd it to be a boarder line strike at the letters on the black), one that in a 2 strike count you have to offer at, ahead 3-0 Teks got to hold up and spit on that one and at worst you're 3-1 with two more hacks...I'm pretty sure the Tek knows that he gave away an at bat and probably said so when he got back to the bench.
    Posted by Beantowne[/QUOTE]

Beantowne, I see your point but really?  It sounds like something harness would say.  Tek is our worst hitter and should have used more common sense last night which he normally does.  He tried to be the hero in my opinion by swinging at a ball only Tek would.  Jason loves those high fastballs and rarely lays off of them.

I'm not trying to make waves but it was a bad decision to swing.  We won the game so it didn't cost us, that's all that really counts.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Varitek swinging on a 3-0 count!! : Beantowne, I see your point but really?  It sounds like something harness would say.  Tek is our worst hitter and should have used more common sense last night which he normally does.  He tried to be the hero in my opinion by swinging at a ball only Tek would.  Jason loves those high fastballs and rarely lays off of them. I'm not trying to make waves but it was a bad decision to swing.  We won the game so it didn't cost us, that's all that really counts.
    Posted by craze4sox[/QUOTE]

I don't disagree with anything you said above, except the reference to harness (Not a big fan of his "enlarged font" style). I think that if you ask Tek he'd pretty much agree too...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yukon-Cornelius. Show Yukon-Cornelius's posts

In Response to Varitek swinging on a 3-0 count!!:
    [QUOTE]   I can't take it anymore! Francoma is an idiot!!! He has got to be the worst  mgr in the MLB. With a 3-0 count, and Varitek a diminished ballplayer with  no bat, swings @ a high outside fast ball! Are you kidding me???? Even a little league mgr knows that @ situation, calls for an automatic "take" sign. You don't swing on a 3-0 count,unless your Ted Williams. This a great team,  which is carrying Francoma! His dumb look, chewing tobacco and sunflower seeds & him should be retired to Class A ball.  LouV
    Posted by LouV[/QUOTE]

Way to enjoy the win, Lou. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Varitek swinging on a 3-0 count!! : Way to enjoy the win, Lou. 
    Posted by Yukon-Cornelius[/QUOTE]

So weird huh Yuke?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

It takes a real idiot to start a negative thread about how dumb the manager is after his team just beat the highest salaried team in MLB in stunning fashion.

I am sick to death of these people who need to vent and nit pick over every bad decision a manager makes ( real or imagined).

As if 29 other MLB managers do not make a number of bad decisions over the course of the season. As if these posters could manage the team better. 

Girardi brought in Hughes instead of leaving Rivera in for another inning. Is this a mistake? , a calculated stategy move that backfired? Or a good move in which the player(s) failed to execute? Is Girardi stupid? A bonehead?....After all his team lost and he just sits there chewing gum, pumpkin seeds and spitting... is it somehow his fault, just like every time the Sox lose it's Francona's fault...he even gets blamed for the lose when we win...figure that one out!

Wonder if the Yankee fans are venting about how stupid Girardi is on their boards, I wonder if they have cute little names for him , that indicate that he is somehow brain dead. I wonder if they criticize his chewing habits and spitting choices.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Varitek swinging on a 3-0 count!! : Beantowne, I see your point but really?  It sounds like something harness would say.  Tek is our worst hitter and should have used more common sense last night which he normally does.  He tried to be the hero in my opinion by swinging at a ball only Tek would.  Jason loves those high fastballs and rarely lays off of them. I'm not trying to make waves but it was a bad decision to swing.  We won the game so it didn't cost us, that's all that really counts.
    Posted by craze4sox[/QUOTE]

I don't think Tek was trying to be a hero in the sense that you make it sound like.  Yes, it turned out to be a bad pitch to swing at.  But that high fastball is very enticing and looks like it is very hittable.  Tek has a hard time laying off of it, but so do many other hitters.   How many times have we seen Tek call for the high FB to put a batter away?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Varitek swinging on a 3-0 count!! : Way to enjoy the win, Lou. 
    Posted by Yukon-Cornelius[/QUOTE]

I don't understand some people's need to criticize something after every game rather than just enjoying the win.  Even in losses criticism is not usually warranted.  Sometimes you just have to tip your cap to the opponent for outplaying us.

That said, if this is what we have to worry about, then we're in pretty good shape.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I can understand frustration and I can understand criticism after a loss....or during a losing streak.

But man, if you feel the need to be negative and critical after such a stunning comeback...you need to be checked in to a mental hospital.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yukon-Cornelius. Show Yukon-Cornelius's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Varitek swinging on a 3-0 count!! : So weird huh Yuke?
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

You got that right, Spaceman.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Wait ... you mean Varitek swung at a 3-0 pitch last night? Why hasn't anyone started a thread about this?

Sections
Shortcuts