Varitek Swinging on a 3-0 Count

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Varitek Swinging on a 3-0 Count

Jason Varitek, hitting .180 since July 1 is swinging on a 3-0 pitch with baserunners on 1st and 2nd with one out?

And to make it worse, he swings very late on a high fastball and doesn't even put in in play.

Explain

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: Varitek Swinging on a 3-0 Count

The only thing I can say is, just because you've got the green light doesn't mean you should swing unless you get a really good pitch to hit.  Seems like Tek make a poor decision, and that in turn makes the manager's call look bad.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Saluda. Show Saluda's posts

he's going into that zone again where he golf swings the bat looking like a 50lb stack of lumber he can't get around on and for some reason he wasn't pinch hit for the next time around

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxFan2OO4. Show RedSoxFan2OO4's posts

I think he knows he is struggling and is trying to help the team desperately any way he can, even though the best way to help the team is to manage the pitching staff and limit his damage on offense. His poor desicions at the plate for years now has been costing us. It seems every time i turn around hes 0-2, and when he's not  he gets out when way ahead in the count. (3-0)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

How about all those late throws to second?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

It's probably a question that won't be asked in the presser because, fortunately, it doesn't look nearly as stupid now. But I have to wonder how that happened.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALaGatorAL. Show ALaGatorAL's posts

In Response to Re: Varitek Swinging on a 3-0 Count:
    It's probably a question that won't be asked in the presser because, fortunately, it doesn't look nearly as stupid now. But I have to wonder how that happened.
    Posted by LloydDobler

It Happened because Tito don't have the balls to send out the "TAKE SIGN"... that is if they even have one. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

In Response to Re: Varitek Swinging on a 3-0 Count :  It Happened because Tito don't have the balls to send out the "TAKE SIGN"... that is if they even have one. 
    Posted by ALaGatorAL
    The green light wasn't a bad idea. The swing was.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I always thought hitters should be given more green lights on 3-0 counts. Often the pitcher will just serve one up.

However, VTek?

Also, just because Vtek got the green light, doesn't mean he had to swing at one up so high.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

I love SB"s but I am guessing Pedroia had the green light when he got nabbed ina  1-1 game with AGON up. Bad move.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

In Response to Re: Varitek Swinging on a 3-0 Count :  It Happened because Tito don't have the balls to send out the "TAKE SIGN"... that is if they even have one. 
    Posted by ALaGatorAL
    Actually in that situation the player always takes unless the he gets the green light from the third base coach.

I am sure they figured that Tek was going to get a fastball in the middle and that it might well be the best pitch he'd see in the sequence because they would figure no way Tek has a green light.

It was up to Tek to be selective, it is a signal that you don't have to take, not that you have to swing.

But leave it to parts of RS Nation to find the gray lining on the silver cloud that was tonight's game.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALaGatorAL. Show ALaGatorAL's posts

I love SB"s but I am guessing Pedroia had the green light when he got nabbed ina  1-1 game with AGON up. Bad move.
    Posted by BurritoT

I don't mind when a past, potential MVP for this season, makes a mistake trying to makes something happen. A-Gon hasn't been hitting for power as late so I can certainly see the need for the stolen base... Why Crawford, who had a Fantastic Series (As I Predicted) was glued at first with Reddick up is beyond me however !! I was begging him to keep running after the wild pitch hoping to catch the Yankees off gaurd, knowing Tek was a sure out, but that was the right move since it kept Tek from leading off the 10th !!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALaGatorAL. Show ALaGatorAL's posts

In Response to Re: Varitek Swinging on a 3-0 Count : Actually in that situation the player always takes unless the he gets the green light from the third base coach. I am sure they figured that Tek was going to get a fastball in the middle and that it might well be the best pitch he'd see in the sequence because they would figure no way Tek has a green light. It was up to Tek to be selective, it is a signal that you don't have to take, not that you have to swing. But leave it to parts of RS Nation to find the gray lining on the silver cloud that was tonight's game.
    Posted by fivekatz

No gray Lining whatsoever... TEK SHOULD NEVER SWING AT A 3-0 Pitch, PERIOD !! Well, maybe if they put it on a Tee !!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

I think he knows he is struggling and is trying to help the team desperately any way he can, even though the best way to help the team is to manage the pitching staff and limit his damage on offense. His poor desicions at the plate for years now has been costing us. It seems every time i turn around hes 0-2, and when he's not  he gets out when way ahead in the count. (3-0)
    Posted by RedSoxFan2OO4

Yep, that poor decision-making, serially-swinging Varitek has made an out after the count reaches 3-0 six....count 'em SIX....times since 1997.  That is once every 30 months!!  That's nearly 7 elephant gestation periods!

Thank goodness the entire team isn't so careless or the Back Bay would be filled with herds of elephant.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

While it hasn't been mentioned lately both Ellsbury and Crawford are free to run in almost any situation they feel they can go. The RS are a little "frustrated" with CC that he isn't running more. But it is probably in line with his general funk this year which seems to be playing tenative, wanting to live up to his contract.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

That's nearly 7 elephant gestation periods

Classic!

Smile

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigpanther98. Show bigpanther98's posts

Varitek swinging in that spot was nothing. Did any of you catch the end to the Astros game the other night when, down 7-5, the Astros runner on first, with two outs in the ninth, tried to reach third on a single into right field and got thrown out to end the game? What the @#$% was he thinking? That is breaking not just an unwritten rule of baseball (don't make the 1st or 3rd out at third base) but a commandment almost considering it ended the game! He wasn't even the tying run, so what the @#$% was he and the third base coach (he was calling him to advance) thinking? We are lucky that we can root for a team that is not a complete mess like the Astros. That team is painful to watch, they are so horrific. Unfortunately, I don't see Brad Mills lasting too long there.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

Interesting stat of the day:

Youkilis has never swung on a 3-0 count in his entire big league career.   He's had 246 3-0 counts, and he has taken every time.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from softylaw. Show softylaw's posts

A 3-0 count is not an end. It depends upon the situation. Varitek has broken down like he always does in dog days. Stop sign was essential. Hitting isn't brain surgery. Any count less than 2 strikes is a sitting on a certain pitch and appealing to the eyes count. But on 3-0, Varitek should never be allowed to swing.

If this isn't Varitek's last season, then it's going from a wheelchair to a hospital bed for next year. Move on!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

In Response to Varitek Swinging on a 3-0 Count:
    Jason Varitek, hitting .180 since July 1 is swinging on a 3-0 pitch with baserunners on 1st and 2nd with one out? And to make it worse, he swings very late on a high fastball and doesn't even put in in play. Explain
    Posted by ADG
    look its tito being tito. when it works he's a genius. when it doesnt bla bla. he did it to get tek going and being more aggressive. the same reason he left him in tthe game last week in the ninth rather than pinchhtting with salt. he pinchran with salt which was a controversial mood but the guy scored buy an inch as we won. where would u had been had dave roberts been thrown out? yep, that moron tito right? tito is more right than wrong in the clutch. just grasp his philosophy as with belichick and judge him within that context rather than superimposing ur ideology. there's only ONE manager, only tito gets that title. i will take the 2 rings. reason we won that game last nite is because of tito and the intabgible leverage that came from him taking that risk with tek. whats your take on the bunt call to ells. could not have said hit away or try to go to to his right to lead the runner to third. who cares, it worked out as it usually do. y slam all the bad tito does while ignoring all the good the man does and how often he makes all the right calls that get the job jone! all that matters!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

In Response to Re: Varitek Swinging on a 3-0 Count :  I don't mind when a past, potential MVP for this season, makes a mistake trying to makes something happen. A-Gon hasn't been hitting for power as late so I can certainly see the need for the stolen base... Why Crawford, who had a Fantastic Series (As I Predicted) was glued at first with Reddick up is beyond me however !! I was begging him to keep running after the wild pitch hoping to catch the Yankees off gaurd, knowing Tek was a sure out, but that was the right move since it kept Tek from leading off the 10th !!
    Posted by ALaGatorAL

I agree, I do not find fault with him taking a chance but it seemed like a bad move to me... not assigning blame.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pschuller. Show pschuller's posts

In Response to Re: Varitek Swinging on a 3-0 Count : Amen.  More evidence that Francoma can manage people, but he can not manage a game. 
    Posted by Encinitas

Yeah, like we need more evidence of that. He was in deep Coma the whole inning. Took the bunt off with Reddick for some reason, then allowed Tek to bat at all (classic opportunity for pinch hitter), and finally allowed him to swing at 3-0 (unless of course he was in such a deep Coma, he forgot he could flash the take sign). Unbelievable really. One of the worst game managers in baseball.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In Response to Re: Varitek Swinging on a 3-0 Count : Amen.  More evidence that Francoma can manage people, but he can not manage a game. 
    Posted by Encinitas

Nothing wrong with giving the green light..Its up to the batter to choose wisely..pretty weak Tito bashing..Although i was wondering last night why salty wasnt PHing for Tek..Salty is the better LHB and Becketts night was ovah..Tito usually plays the percentages, and that wouldve been PH for Tek with salty..

Sections
Shortcuts