Varitek Swinging on a 3-0 Count

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: Varitek Swinging on a 3-0 Count

That's nearly 7 elephant gestation periods!

Now thats being creative SMLV!! Lol

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Varitek Swinging on a 3-0 Count:
    Jason Varitek, hitting .180 since July 1 is swinging on a 3-0 pitch with baserunners on 1st and 2nd with one out? And to make it worse, he swings very late on a high fastball and doesn't even put in in play. Explain
    Posted by ADG

I agree that wasn't a great move on the part of Jason, especially with two runners on, one out and "Scutaro" having such a good game coming up next. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Anyone who doubts the passion of Sox fans only needs to read one of these vicious threads after a Sox win.  If the Sox had lost, Tek would need a bodyguard when he gets back to Boston.

Yes, he blew it.  As fivekatz says, he almost certainly was expecting a grooved fastball, but got one high and outside instead.  I see nothing wrong with Tek having the license to swing if he sees one he can hit.  Remember, a walk to Varitek would not bring Crawford home because the bases were not loaded.  

The next batter, Ellsbury, had already left 8 guys on base.  Yes, he's a better hitter than Tek, but there was absolutely no guarantee he would knock him home. 

With Tek behind the plate, the Sox pitchers did a pretty good job against a very good Yankees lineup.  For him, good hitting is extra. 

Also fascinating of course is the game thread from last night.  Albers, who has been terrific, gave up the solo shot to Gardner, and the game thread erupted in vituperation directed at Francona.    That's right.  With his ace only going 6 innings, Francona brings in a reliever with an ERA just above 2, and Sox fans like bosox1941 immediately announce it was completely obvious beforehand that Albers had no business out there on the mound. 

I wonder if the Yankees fans are like this when their guys lose a big one. 

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Tek has problems laying off high fast balls.  He always has.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from LouV. Show LouV's posts

I can't take it anymore!  Francoma must be the worst mgr in MLB. Varitek swinging
     on a 3-0 count is unbelievable. A diminished ballplayer, no batting skills swings @
     a high outside fastball! Are you kidding me???  Even a little league mgr knows
     that this situation calls for an automatic "take" sign. Only Ted Williams should
     swing @ this situation. But again, Francoma is a baby sitter not a mgr. This is
     a great team, that is carrying Francoma.  His dumb look ,chewing tobacco and
     sunflower seeds should be dropped to Class A & replaced by a decisive and
    aggressive mgr like Valentine, But he is not a lap dog, so it never wiil
    happen.    LouV

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

It's funny how rookies and Depleted Vets have the same plate approach. They both, out of fear, lack any sort of discipline and swing at anything just hoping to make contact.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

I think he was hoping to be a hero... and he isn't a hero. He might be okay and hold the highest order of respect in Boston but he should not be overstepping his abilities.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from walk2run. Show walk2run's posts

Allowing Tek come up with another bases filled moment wasn't one of Tito's greatest coaching moments

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

It was a terrible moment and it cost us the game. And now we're a game back in the standings and lost two of three at home to the Yankees.

Oh wait ...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PawsoxPhil. Show PawsoxPhil's posts

bump

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

In Response to Re: Varitek Swinging on a 3-0 Count:
    Anyone who doubts the passion of Sox fans only needs to read one of these vicious threads after a Sox win.  If the Sox had lost, Tek would need a bodyguard when he gets back to Boston. Yes, he blew it.  As fivekatz says, he almost certainly was expecting a grooved fastball, but got one high and outside instead.  I see nothing wrong with Tek having the license to swing if he sees one he can hit.  Remember, a walk to Varitek would not bring Crawford home because the bases were not loaded.   The next batter, Ellsbury, had already left 8 guys on base.  Yes, he's a better hitter than Tek, but there was absolutely no guarantee he would knock him home.  With Tek behind the plate, the Sox pitchers did a pretty good job against a very good Yankees lineup.  For him, good hitting is extra.  Also fascinating of course is the game thread from last night.  Albers, who has been terrific, gave up the solo shot to Gardner, and the game thread erupted in vituperation directed at Francona.    That's right.  With his ace only going 6 innings, Francona brings in a reliever with an ERA just above 2, and Sox fans like bosox1941 immediately announce it was completely obvious beforehand that Albers had no business out there on the mound.  I wonder if the Yankees fans are like this when their guys lose a big one. 
    Posted by maxbialystock

This could be the best post I have ever read.  It just shows how 20/20 hindsight is always right.  I read the game thread and people acted like Albers has been some sort of gas can.  When, in fact, he has been quite good.  But you won't be able to convince 1941.  He has all the answers, from his basement!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

It was a terrible moment and it cost us the game. And now we're a game back in the standings and lost two of three at home to the Yankees. Oh wait ...
    Posted by LloydDobler

Wink

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

3-0 count is a hitters count, one where there's a high probabiltiy the pitcher throws a get me over batting practice fastball right down main street...Especially to a guy in the bottom of lineup, who you'd expect would have the take sign with a .230 batting average.

I don't have a problem with letting him swing away, he got the pitch he wanted (fastball), one that was not that far out of the zone (K-zone on ESPN showd it to be a boarder line strike at the letters on the black), one that in a 2 strike count you have to offer at, ahead 3-0 Teks got to hold up and spit on that one and at worst you're 3-1 with two more hacks...I'm pretty sure the Tek knows that he gave away an at bat and probably said so when he got back to the bench.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Sox take 2 out of 3 from the yankees, and yet some are still looking for every opportunity to crush Francona and any player who is struggling.  Unreal.  I have no issue whatseoever with the green light.  I would hope that a player of Tek's experience wouldn't go chasing a high fastball in that situation.  Thats on Tek.  But, its all good.  Because, for that particular gaffe, I've got three or four NAILS baseball happenings that, for me, erase it entirely:  Pap/Bard takin' care o' business, Scutaro going Wall on Mo, Ells' bunt (great call, not exactly a giving-up-an-out with Ells at the plate and the Yankees not expecting it.  Had he laid down even a remotely good bunt, he would have had an infield hit no question), Pedey with the pro's pro sac. fly, and of course, young Jedi Reddick showing, yet again, his hunger to make good.  Great game.  Great series.  Let the 3-0 green light go.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

Interesting stat of the day: Youkilis has never swung on a 3-0 count in his entire big league career.   He's had 246 3-0 counts, and he has taken every time.
    Posted by RedSoxKimmi
    bet he could open a bakery with all the 3-0 cookies he's seen...Tongue out

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

In Response to Re: Varitek Swinging on a 3-0 Count : Amen.  More evidence that Francoma can manage people, but he can not manage a game. 
    Posted by Encinitas

You don't manage people, you lead people. You manage "things"!

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mt200. Show Mt200's posts

Very selfish of Tek.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Scutaro had biggest hit in game. Not much said about it.
    Posted by bobbysu

Absolutely.  Huge hit by Scutaro.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

In Response to Re: Varitek Swinging on a 3-0 Count : You don't manage people, you lead people. You manage "things"!
    Posted by Alibiike

How do you manage a "thing"?

I bet you would be an awesome manager for a team of kitchen tables.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

It's probably a question that won't be asked in the presser because, fortunately, it doesn't look nearly as stupid now. But I have to wonder how that happened.
    Posted by LloydDobler

Lloyd, I listened to Franconas post game press conference on WEEI. It wasnt asked, as expected, focused on the walk off win. had the outcome been different, I'm sure it would have been the first questioned asked.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Tek fired his caddy before the game.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

In Response to Re: Varitek Swinging on a 3-0 Count : bet he could open a bakery with all the 3-0 cookies he's seen...
    Posted by jete02fan

LOL Jetes, good one.

You know he's been given the green light on many of those 3-0 counts.   I find it very interesting that he won't swing.   Maybe he's afraid of being overanxious and swinging at a bad pitch, so he's just resigned himself to not swinging.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Interesting stat of the day: Youkilis has never swung on a 3-0 count in his entire big league career.   He's had 246 3-0 counts, and he has taken every time.
    Posted by RedSoxKimmi

WOW!

I did not know this Kimmi.

I bet those 246 pitches were some of the most hittable balls Youk has ever seen.  Pitchers know they can just groove one right down the middle. He should swing at a few, just to keep them honest.

Sections
Shortcuts