Varitek, Wakefield...saving Drew's retirement conference for last?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Varitek, Wakefield...saving Drew's retirement conference for last?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I just couldn't resist. He has probably been the most frustrating Sox member I've ever endured.

-The contract
    -The total lack of emotion (Ellsbury stole home right in front of you, and no reaction? At all? Really? A high 5? A smile? Nope)
    -The hypochondria
    -The justification from management for the contract yearly
    -And finally, the support from the fans that continued to the end of last season

He hit one marginally important GS in the World Series and carried the team for a single month when everyone else was scuffling in mid-summer. That's what the sox got for 5 years and 70 million dollars, one GS and one month.

He did play a good RF though!

Enjoy your personal hyperbaric chamber Drew, good luck with your retirement. No qualms with the man, but the ballplayer would be more appreciated if he didn't ever come back to Boston.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Re: Varitek, Wakefield...saving Drew's retirement conference for last?

JD Drew just completed grand theft on our team and now has the audacity to act like he still might want to play somewheres. Any team out there looking for a 'nancy" to fill in here and there for 14 mill per?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

In Response to Re: Varitek, Wakefield...saving Drew's retirement conference for last?:
    [QUOTE]JD Drew just completed grand theft on our team and now has the audacity to act like he still might want to play somewheres. Any team out there looking for a 'nancy" to fill in here and there for 14 mill per?
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]

Blame Theo for signing him, and then keeping him his entire contract.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Really no need to drag up the Drew debate all over again now that he's gone.  It's been thoroughly documented here that a lot of people liked him a lot as a player, and that a lot of people disliked him a lot.  We get it.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

-The hypochondria
    -The justification from management for the contract yearly
    -And finally, the support from the fans that continued to the end of last season

Missing an entire season with micro-fractured ribs is hypochondria

Tim Wastefield was paid over 50 million for his once a week garbage, Drew was quite good on offense and defense

The Boston bigots despised Drew, who was a backwoods redneck (federal government says it's alright to call southerners "backwoods rednecks"). Drew was not a member of the "2 consenting adults" value standard State established religion.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to "Re: Varitek, Wakefield...saving Drew's retirement conference for last?": [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Varitek, Wakefield...saving Drew's retirement conference for last? : Blame Theo for signing him, and then keeping him his entire contract. Posted by Alibiike[/QUOTE] He was still the best value of all the high priced free agent outfielders that off season. Id take Drew's contract over Soriano at 8/138, Lee at 6/100 and Matthews at 5/55, especially when you consider the other three would have been bad defensively. Not a great signing, but not nearly as bad as people make it out to be. They didn't have a lot of options at the time...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortMeade. Show FortMeade's posts

The OPer couldn't resist. He is incapable of starting any other type of a thread. It is just his nature. Whine, pout, grumble, sneer, complain, bi-tch, and predict bad times are ahead. All in a day's posting, typical.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In Response to Re: Varitek, Wakefield...saving Drew's retirement conference for last?:
    [QUOTE]In response to "Re: Varitek, Wakefield...saving Drew's retirement conference for last?": He was still the best value of all the high priced free agent outfielders that off season. Id take Drew's contract over Soriano at 8/138, Lee at 6/100 and Matthews at 5/55, especially when you consider the other three would have been bad defensively. Not a great signing, but not nearly as bad as people make it out to be. They didn't have a lot of options at the time...
    Posted by jasko2248[/QUOTE]

No, no, please don't re-start this...Smile

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to "Re: Varitek, Wakefield...saving Drew's retirement conference for last?": [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Varitek, Wakefield...saving Drew's retirement conference for last? : No, no, please don't re-start this... Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE] No worries, the people who don't get it won't read it anyway...

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortMeade. Show FortMeade's posts

Your choice people?

Rehash JD Drew for the 12000th time or

Go to the religion thread.

Forum Alarm goes off.

No more Theo, Tito, Farrell, Varitek, Wakefield, Drew

All negative energies will now be focussed on

Crawford and John Henry. What great fans we have here.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

[QUOTE]Your choice people? Rehash JD Drew for the 12000th time or Go to the religion thread. Forum Alarm goes off. No more Theo, Tito, Farrell, Varitek, Wakefield, Drew All negative energies will now be focussed on Crawford and John Henry. What great fans we have here.
    Posted by FortMeade[/QUOTE]
    Oh, you are so forgetting the Ellsbury bashing that will continue until he moves on to a more appreciative organization.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

It was meant in jest. It just kind of occurred to me how quietly he's gone away, and it was the retirement conference of Varitek that made me think of it. So sorry if that's inconvenient.

Nobody else has to comment, I didn't expect many, just enjoying a laugh that I figured at least a few others would enjoy as well. As I stated in the first post, he's probably the single most frustrating player I've watched on the Sox as a fan. And he was here for 5 years. Yes, Theo gets blame too...as I mentioned in the first post. Not by name...he was 'management' though.

As for always being negative....I'd say about 50/50. Perhaps all of my positivity is being used up on the Patriots side of things. Do some research and get back to me on that FortNeedy, you seem to be interested in me enough already and keeping track to some degree.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

Boras still thinks he can get him a decent contract...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

In Response to Varitek, Wakefield...saving Drew's retirement conference for last?:
    [QUOTE]HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA I just couldn't resist. He has probably been the most frustrating Sox member I've ever endured. -The contract -The total lack of emotion (Ellsbury stole home right in front of you, and no reaction? At all? Really? A high 5? A smile? Nope) -The hypochondria -The justification from management for the contract yearly -And finally, the support from the fans that continued to the end of last season He hit one marginally important GS in the World Series and carried the team for a single month when everyone else was scuffling in mid-summer. That's what the sox got for 5 years and 70 million dollars, one GS and one month. He did play a good RF though! Enjoy your personal hyperbaric chamber Drew, good luck with your retirement. No qualms with the man, but the ballplayer would be more appreciated if he didn't ever come back to Boston.
    Posted by ma6dragon9[/QUOTE]

{heavy sigh}

In hindsight, I'd do the Drew contract all over again, just one year shorter.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

Darnell McDonald had some nice things to say about Drew in a recent interview.  Drew has always taken a bad and unfair rap because of his lack of outward emotion.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]Darnell McDonald had some nice things to say about Drew in a recent interview.  Drew has always taken a bad and unfair rap because of his lack of outward emotion.
    Posted by RedSoxKimmi[/QUOTE]

Yes, that was great stuff from McDonald about Drew...I'm glad I read it. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]Darnell McDonald had some nice things to say about Drew in a recent interview.  Drew has always taken a bad and unfair rap because of his lack of outward emotion.
    Posted by RedSoxKimmi[/QUOTE]

I'm unemotional.  In a world where people are overly emotional, particularly certain posters, we need a little less emotion.

IRT Drew, like Jasko said, he was easily, easily the best of the signings that year.

And as always, the OP declines to name our alternatives.  I can only assume the OP wanted Nixon out there.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Alternatives???

As I've said before...why the feel that we NEED to sign someone???

We NEEDED a HIGH PRICED RF that season? If they were all overpaid, not likely to produce players...why sign any?

AT THE TIME, I was perfectly happy to run the dirt dog, getting old and beat up Trot Nixon out there for another year. Yea, I know his career was sputtering at that point, but I didn't like ANY of those FA OFers that year, I don't like giving out huge contracts like they ALL got for anything but a guaranteed stud, and in prime age. And Nixon, for all his struggles, was a good teammate, goot attitude, and played the game the right way. I wonder if Ellsbury might be a little different having played a few seasons next to Nixon instead of Drew. Nixon offered what Varitek did at similar points in their careers (though I am not overlooking Tek's ability to manage a staff), and the Sox kept Tek around for a few seasons longer than his production warranted. Nixon WAS a team leader, someone who others followe don the field. This management has long discarded that element of baseball, culminating in the events at the end of last year.

That's the only, and to be honest terribly weak argument: "Who else were they going to sign." My god, are you all serious?

So the thinking is "We had to sign a high priced FA OFer, so Drew wasn't THAT bad." What a terrible argument that is. It was collusion to get him, I never wanted him, never understood the dollars OR length. I'm SURE many will call this revisionist history, and without looking, I bet my account goes back far enough if anyone wants to try to make a liar out of me. People have accused me of it before, nobody has been able to prove it though.

Do we win 07 without him? PROBABLY! I think there's about 30 other guys who played a role in those playoffs who would probably feel no one guy made the difference, especially with a GS in a blowout.

I stated in the begninning that Drew has been a personal thorn in my side. That thorn is gone, and it feels SO GOOD! Sometimes I'm reminded just how good it feels. Varitek and Wakefield retiring, and fans proclaiming RF will get better with CODY ROSS AND RYAN SWEENEY (!) manning it kind of made me reach down to my side, feel around a little, and smile.

It amazes me that, even after the fact, people STILL defend him in spite of all reason, statistics, or anything else tangible...or intangible for that matter.

And that's fantastic that McDonald had some good things to say about him. Unfortunately, when he's the only former teammate with quotes to throw into the mix....that doesn't help much honestly. Is McDonald ever going to say a bad thing about anyone?

And again, I ALREADY SAID I have no issue with the person, only the ballplayer. As a person, he seems like a very likeable person.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from lowelll. Show lowelll's posts

How come Andrewmitch didn't smell out this thread or did he?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ergoetal. Show Ergoetal's posts

You must have missed it.

Drew retired four years ago.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]Alternatives??? As I've said before...why the feel that we NEED to sign someone??? We NEEDED a HIGH PRICED RF that season? If they were all overpaid, not likely to produce players...why sign any? AT THE TIME, I was perfectly happy to run the dirt dog, getting old and beat up Trot Nixon out there for another year. Yea, I know his career was sputtering at that point, but I didn't like ANY of those FA OFers that year, I don't like giving out huge contracts like they ALL got for anything but a guaranteed stud, and in prime age. And Nixon, for all his struggles, was a good teammate, goot attitude, and played the game the right way. I wonder if Ellsbury might be a little different having played a few seasons next to Nixon instead of Drew. Nixon offered what Varitek did at similar points in their careers (though I am not overlooking Tek's ability to manage a staff), and the Sox kept Tek around for a few seasons longer than his production warranted. Nixon WAS a team leader, someone who others followe don the field. This management has long discarded that element of baseball, culminating in the events at the end of last year. That's the only, and to be honest terribly weak argument: "Who else were they going to sign." My god, are you all serious? So the thinking is "We had to sign a high priced FA OFer, so Drew wasn't THAT bad." What a terrible argument that is. It was collusion to get him, I never wanted him, never understood the dollars OR length. I'm SURE many will call this revisionist history, and without looking, I bet my account goes back far enough if anyone wants to try to make a liar out of me. People have accused me of it before, nobody has been able to prove it though. Do we win 07 without him? PROBABLY! I think there's about 30 other guys who played a role in those playoffs who would probably feel no one guy made the difference, especially with a GS in a blowout. I stated in the begninning that Drew has been a personal thorn in my side. That thorn is gone, and it feels SO GOOD! Sometimes I'm reminded just how good it feels. Varitek and Wakefield retiring, and fans proclaiming RF will get better with CODY ROSS AND RYAN SWEENEY (!) manning it kind of made me reach down to my side, feel around a little, and smile. It amazes me that, even after the fact, people STILL defend him in spite of all reason, statistics, or anything else tangible...or intangible for that matter. And that's fantastic that McDonald had some good things to say about him. Unfortunately, when he's the only former teammate with quotes to throw into the mix....that doesn't help much honestly. Is McDonald ever going to say a bad thing about anyone? And again, I ALREADY SAID I have no issue with the person, only the ballplayer. As a person, he seems like a very likeable person.
    Posted by ma6dragon9[/QUOTE]

No offense, but to say you would have been happy to run Nixon out there is just silly.  At the end of 2006 Nixon had exactly 110 games of major league baseball left in him.  In those 110 games he produced an OPS of about .650, 4 HR and 32 RBI.  And played some bad outfield defence.

25. This post has been removed.