Vasquez

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Vasquez

So this kid has thrown out 11 of 11 runners so far??  WHUT?!?!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

Re: Vasquez

havent seen him play yet, but rumor is he has a cannon...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Hopefully in a few years we will have Vasquez/Swihart tandem at the catching position.  

I still have some concerns at the position.  With both Ross and AJ free agents at the end of the year who do the Sox sign?

I'm hoping and assuming the Sox will be ready to roll with Vasquez in 2014, but I'm not sure if they will have him start or backup.  But either way you slice it they will have to bring someone else in.  Perhaps they go with Butler/Vasquez.  Butler is said to be good enough to be a backup catcher on any MLB team and he also has really good defense.  If Vasquez's bat is better then advertised we might just be more than fine at the position, but as promising as the catching position is for the Sox over the next 2-3 years...the next year has me worried. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

Hugh, Vasquez is VERY impressive. Obviously you can't get a feel for game-calling in ST games, but he has great hands, quick feet, a lightening quick release and a cannon for an arm. His bat has more pop than it did last year. Not saying he's ready to consistently hit ML pitching just yet, but he will start the year at Pawtucket and get lots of at bats. He did hit .286 last year at Portland after being under .250 for the first half of the season. And he walked more than he struck out, a stat that warms the cockles of Red Sox management. Still don't know where Lavarnway, or Butler for that matter fit in. I would not be surprised, if fact I'll be surprised if it doesn't happen, to see Lavarnway moved. It seems they are showcasing him and Carp a little so far this ST. If they are not comfortable by the end of this season with the development of Vasquez, Butler and Swihart, I'm sure they can get Ross or AJ to re-up for one more year. But I'm of the opinion that Vasquez is next year's opening day catcher if he's not here earlier.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to jidgef's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Hugh, Vasquez is VERY impressive. Obviously you can't get a feel for game-calling in ST games, but he has great hands, quick feet, a lightening quick release and a cannon for an arm. His bat has more pop than it did last year. Not saying he's ready to consistently hit ML pitching just yet, but he will start the year at Pawtucket and get lots of at bats. He did hit .286 last year at Portland after being under .250 for the first half of the season. And he walked more than he struck out, a stat that warms the cockles of Red Sox management. Still don't know where Lavarnway, or Butler for that matter fit in. I would not be surprised, if fact I'll be surprised if it doesn't happen, to see Lavarnway moved. It seems they are showcasing him and Carp a little so far this ST. If they are not comfortable by the end of this season with the development of Vasquez, Butler and Swihart, I'm sure they can get Ross or AJ to re-up for one more year. But I'm of the opinion that Vasquez is next year's opening day catcher if he's not here earlier.

[/QUOTE]

I'm very well aware of Vasquez's profile.  I can't remember the scout who said this but I think it was Parks who said "I wish I had the *** to rank him higher" saying that he contemplated putting him in the Sox top 10.

He also went on to say his defense is on par with Austin Hedges, who is arguably the top catching propsect in the game.  I think most would put D'Arnuad ahead of him but Hedges is probably the best offense/defense combo in the minors.  I think Vasquez doesn't get as much respect because of his bat.  But he showed big improvements last year.  

He did walk more than he struck out in Double A, a year after he struck out more than he walked in single A.  Many consider A-AA the biggest jump if not the second biggest...and to show that kind of improvement in ones offensive game is huge.  Especially when you consider the amount of work catchers put in.  Normally catchers take much longer to develop because of all the focus that goes into their defensive development.  Even if the Bat never is there for Vasquez I think he is starting to show us that is might be better than advertised and good enough to justify his defense.  

Still, the Sox will need two catchers and I think you are right...I'd assume they will bring back one of Ross or AJ to help take the load off the rookie next year, but I could easily see him starting 90 games in 2014. 

Its funny that a year or two ago Swihart was considered an all hit Catcher (although no one really said his defense was bad) and Vasquez was considered all glove.  Now it looks like Vasquez might be able to hit a little bit and Swihart is looking like he might have the tools to develop into a plus defender. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

it's amazing how all of a sudden Catching seems to be a strong point in our system.  And to think that Vasquez isn't even our #1 catcher in the system; he's just much closer to the majors.  While Christian is getting most of the attention right now (and rightfully so) I'm just as excited, if not more, to see what Blake Swihart can do this year.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

Hugh I haven't seen Swihart this year yet, but I've read that he put on about ten or more pounds of muscle. What I saw of him last year led me to believe that he was too slight to handle the day-to-day chores of catching and I saw him as more of a Biggio type (not in accomplishment) who would be moved out from behind the dish to another position. He looked like a high obp, high contact hitter with little pop. He hit just under .300 last year at high A with pretty impressive obp. In fact as I'm typing this Swihart just got a hit against the Pirates. He must have made great strides defensively to be more highly regarded than Vasquez; I just don't see it. It would be a nice problem to have if both are as good as folks are saying.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to jidgef's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Hugh I haven't seen Swihart this year yet, but I've read that he put on about ten or more pounds of muscle. What I saw of him last year led me to believe that he was too slight to handle the day-to-day chores of catching and I saw him as more of a Biggio type (not in accomplishment) who would be moved out from behind the dish to another position. He looked like a high obp, high contact hitter with little pop. He hit just under .300 last year at high A with pretty impressive obp. In fact as I'm typing this Swihart just got a hit against the Pirates. He must have made great strides defensively to be more highly regarded than Vasquez; I just don't see it. It would be a nice problem to have if both are as good as folks are saying.

[/QUOTE]

I just heard Keith Law the other day on a podcast talking about how Swihart is a LOT bigger up front than he looks from afar.  He's very muscular and has a very low BF%.  Everything I've heard about the kid says he's a catcher.  I know earlier in his career a lot of people thought he might move off position with 3B or 2B being likely destinations....but that talk has quieted.   He's obviously not as advanced as Vasquez but by all account he is much more gifted.  In terms of tools and raw talent, he has a ceiling of an all-star catcher.  Christian strikes me more as a defensive back up who is showing that his offense might be good enough to make him a starter on some/most teams.  And he's been more highly regarded than Vasquez since he was drafted.  There's a reason why the Sox gave him 2.5 million to sign which at the time was the second most they've ever given to a draftee.

Actually as far as I'm concerned Vasquez has actually closed the gap between the two with his performance last year, Swihart was probably even more highly regarded than Vasquez until recently.  And that is a complement to Christian because Blake has done nothing to drop his stock.   He caught a 103 games last year and is still only 21 years old.

Also Swihart was ranked nationally by 5 different scouting bodies while Vasquez didn't appear in anyone's top 100.

http://minors.mlblogs.com/2014/02/26/2129253/

Although I think Vasquez might be one of those players that never get ranked and end up being a good MLB player.  I personally excited about seeing a Swihart/Vasquez tandem in Boston in a few years. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

So, why is he still down on the FARM ?????

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Bill post.  Bill no read thread.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:

Because players don't jump straight from highschool or college to the major leagues Bill, they take time to develop.  Even Xander Bogaerts spent 4 seasons down in the minors before making it to the big leagues and he reached the majors years before most players do. 

Heck even Ted WIlliams and Derek Jeter spent 3 years in the minor leagues Bill.  Players just don't show up in the major leagues because they have talent.  It takes time to develop talent. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

From Baseball Prospectus:

We also have full-season stats for Double-A and Triple-A, using Max’s Retrosheet-based estimated framing method. Here are the top five through the end of the minor-league regular season:

Sandy Leon, 24, Nationals: -21.4 (6703)
    Christian Vazquez, 23, Red Sox: -20.9 (7599)
    Roberto Perez, 24, Indians: -19.5 (7092)
    Jacob Realmuto, 22, Marlins: -17.7 (6134)
    JR Murphy, 22, Yankees: -17.7 (8681)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

Hugh, should have put the qualifier in that my observations of Swihart were limited to two minor-league games last year here at the Fort. One of them he caught Doubie who was getting work in against A ball hitters and Swihart struggled trying to handle Doubie's stuff that day. A lot of development can take place in a full season; I'm looking forward to seeing him in some ML games this spring. Missed him today because they were on the road. As far as "up close" goes, I was standing right behind the backstop while he was catching, but I never asked him to remove his jersey so I could see his guns:-)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Hopefully in a few years we will have Vasquez/Swihart tandem at the catching position.  

I still have some concerns at the position.  With both Ross and AJ free agents at the end of the year who do the Sox sign?

I'm hoping and assuming the Sox will be ready to roll with Vasquez in 2014, but I'm not sure if they will have him start or backup.  But either way you slice it they will have to bring someone else in.  Perhaps they go with Butler/Vasquez.  Butler is said to be good enough to be a backup catcher on any MLB team and he also has really good defense.  If Vasquez's bat is better then advertised we might just be more than fine at the position, but as promising as the catching position is for the Sox over the next 2-3 years...the next year has me worried. 

[/QUOTE]

or maybe RS resign Ross for 1 yr. Has not caught a lot of games past 5 yrs and would make a perfect tudor for Vasquez. His defense is still top notch. Swihart could come to Fenway Sept. 2015 and hopefully get a crash course from Ross. Swihart / Vasquez tandem starts 2016. Also Swihart reported to camp at 200lbs up 20 from last yr a good sign if he wanted to stay at catcher, 180 to light for that position.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

Ummm... Let it be known that Vazquez was my pick for the player who'd come out of ST with people talking about him.  :-)

I saw him throwing people out last year and it was IMPRESSIVE.  His "pop time" has been timed consistently at 1.8 - 1.9 and 2.0 is considered an excellent major-league time.

He still needs to refine his skills defensively (blocking pitches in the dirt especially) but he's worked hard at both sides of his game and may be THE NEXT CARLTON FISK! :-))

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from MustangBri. Show MustangBri's posts

In response to S5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Ummm... Let it be known that Vazquez was my pick for the player who'd come out of ST with people talking about him.  :-)

I saw him throwing people out last year and it was IMPRESSIVE.  His "pop time" has been timed consistently at 1.8 - 1.9 and 2.0 is considered an excellent major-league time.

He still needs to refine his skills defensively (blocking pitches in the dirt especially) but he's worked hard at both sides of his game and may be THE NEXT CARLTON FISK! :-))

[/QUOTE]

But, but.... Bill said Lavarnway was the next CARLTON FISK!!

Say it ain't so!!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

That's my concern as well.  I like both him and Swihart, but feel strongly about breaking in a catcher next to a veteran catcher.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

if Vasquez can keep up the offense, he will, and should, be compared to Y. Molina...not too shabby.

Swiharts improvements have been well doscumented. Hes still a couple years away, but looks to be developing into a solid two way catcher. added 20lbs of muscle this off season.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Last year he threw out 47%.

He appears to be a very strong defensive player who still needs offensive upgrade.

If he does that the Sox will have a complete player, something they have not had behind the plate for years.

Couple that with a strong SS, another position the Sox have struggled to fill in the past.

Boggie looks like that guy.

Clearly an organization heading in the right direction.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

In response to Hingham Hammer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

He appears to be a very strong defensive player who still needs offensive upgrade.

If he does that the Sox will have a complete player, something they have not had behind the plate for years.

Couple that with a strong SS, another position the Sox have struggled to fill in the past.

[/QUOTE]

YES!!!!!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The thought of home grown bona fide major leaguers all the way up the middle is very exciting.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The thought of home grown bona fide major leaguers all the way up the middle is very exciting.

[/QUOTE]

It's very exciting. I prefer home grown over signing FA's who rarely live up to their past reputations. That said I would trade a unproven prospect for veteran talent on a case to case basis.

You mentioned up the middle. My only concern is JBJ. He appears to have the talent. If he pans out as many in the organization believe he will then the Sox will be in the mix for years to come.

They also appear to have cornered the market on young lively arms at the AAA level.