Very disappointing, but also a heckuva game

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Very disappointing, but also a heckuva game

dgalehouse said it first on the game thread, but I agree with him.  Price was still tough, but the Sox got that one fluky dinger, then the rain, then the Rays bullpen, and the Sox took advantage, almost.  Meanwhile Doubront looked awful, I mean really bad, but somehow he held the Rays to 2 runs in 5 innings, and the bullpen came in and did a great job.  Two great doubles by Lavarnway and Drew in the 8th inning, which unfortunately got wiped out by horrible baserunning.  The point remains, however, the Sox did come back. 

Plus the Sox got some valuable information.  Never use Nava as a pinch runner.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Re: Very disappointing, but also a heckuva game

No game that my team loses is ever a good game. Not EVER. Period.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Javi60. Show Javi60's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

dgalehouse said it first on the game thread, but I agree with him.  Price was still tough, but the Sox got that one fluky dinger, then the rain, then the Rays bullpen, and the Sox took advantage, almost.  Meanwhile Doubront looked awful, I mean really bad, but somehow he held the Rays to 2 runs in 5 innings, and the bullpen came in and did a great job.  Two great doubles by Lavarnway and Drew in the 8th inning, which unfortunately got wiped out by horrible baserunning.  The point remains, however, the Sox did come back. 

Plus the Sox got some valuable information.  Never use Nava as a pinch runner.

Cannot accept this kind of sloppy loss my friend, a huge loss is unforgiven! If ones have no claws, one is a loser... Have you heard of Vince Lombard? ... i like games that we win 12 to 1, like Coronel Ruppert did in days of Yankee glory... Yes, I am angry and rightfully so!!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Javi60. Show Javi60's posts

In response to TheExaminer's comment:

No game that my team loses is ever a good game. Not EVER. Period.

YES....

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

These types of losses are the toughest to take.  They are heartbreaking.  But, if your team is going to lose games, and of course they are, then it is a much better sign if your team loses a game like this, rather than if they lose in a blowout.

I've said many times that the statement "good teams know how to win the close games" is a fallacy.  Good teams know how to consistently beat their opponents by a bigger margin.  The close games are determined by randomness, where one good or bad break going the other way can alter the outcome.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

The worst kind of a game to lose is an extra innings affair where you use your best relievers.  The Red Sox are only 1/2 game out and there's a lot of baseball left to play.  Tomorrow there'll be another game and it'll be against Seattle in Fenway.  Hopefully, there'll be some Red Sox blowouts ahead with lower leverage innings for the bullpen.  Time to collect the wins until they return to Eastern Division play.    

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to RedSoxKimmi's comment:

These types of losses are the toughest to take.  They are heartbreaking.  But, if your team is going to lose games, and of course they are, then it is a much better sign if your team loses a game like this, rather than if they lose in a blowout.

I've said many times that the statement "good teams know how to win the close games" is a fallacy.  Good teams know how to consistently beat their opponents by a bigger margin.  The close games are determined by randomness, where one good or bad break going the other way can alter the outcome.

They lost this game due to mistakes. That makes it intolerable.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Burrito--I came in after Doubie left--our Pen was good--the clutch hitting was good--managers choice of base runner not so great. Having your top two batters up in the bottom of the ninth with a chance to win the game---Price---less.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Javi60. Show Javi60's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

Yes, utterly intorable... Walter Alston used to say that most of  the times, one run games are won or lost by managers... i agree with that opinion...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

Oooh... I bet they're scared....

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

In response to MadMc44's comment:

Burrito--I came in after Doubie left--our Pen was good--the clutch hitting was good--managers choice of base runner not so great. Having your top two batters up in the bottom of the ninth with a chance to win the game---Price---less.

Nice summary, better than mine. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

agree with op 100%

this was a fantastic baseball game except for the final score. 

lol @ valuable info. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

Like the admitted mistake by the home plate umpire?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

For me, the toughest to take are those when we blow a three-run lead in the ninth inning. Forget the game semi-recently that happened ...  actually, I think it was a four-run lead, and we lost  in extras. I was too pissed to sleep that night.

Games like this, it ticks me off but I can live with getting screwed by a bad call more than I can a ninth-inning collapse.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jam789123. Show jam789123's posts

This "heckuva game" cost us two games in the standings to the Rays due to an umpire's admitted blown call.  Anybody want to guess what the margin of the final AL east standings will be?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

In response to Javi60's comment:

Yes, utterly intorable... Walter Alston used to say that most of  the times, one run games are won or lost by managers... i agree with that opinion...

I disagree.  One run games are won or lost due to random factors or "luck".   A manager might have some impact, but not nearly as much as people think.  Many people credited Showalter last year as a big reason why the Os won so many one run games.  Showalter's Os are 13-16 in one run games this year.  Did he suddenly lose his ability to win the one run game?

Maddon, whom many consider a managerial genius, is 15-14 in one run games.

It often seems like a manager's decision, particularly late in a game, is the reason why a team won or lost.  But what about all of the events that took place earlier in the game?   Did they have no impact on the outcome?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to jam789123's comment:

This "heckuva game" cost us two games in the standings to the Rays due to an umpire's admitted blown call.  Anybody want to guess what the margin of the final AL east standings will be?

Fandomish; these tend to even out; did you overlook the blown calls this season that went your way? Although not as vital to the outcome (one shall never know), you can start with the Nunez attempted steal of 2nd in the most recent Bos v NYY Series. Regardless, the game would have been tied yesterday, not won, so we'll never know about this game as well.

Hopefully the instant replay rules starting next yr shall be similar to the NFL, allowing a couple of flags to the Mgr. That would be quite an improvement in getting the calls right.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

In response to LloydDobler's comment:

For me, the toughest to take are those when we blow a three-run lead in the ninth inning. Forget the game semi-recently that happened ...  actually, I think it was a four-run lead, and we lost  in extras. I was too pissed to sleep that night.

Games like this, it ticks me off but I can live with getting screwed by a bad call more than I can a ninth-inning collapse.

I agree.  That game, against the Angels I believe, was extremely tough to swallow.  Walk off losses are hard to take as well.  All very heartbreaking.

In general, I was referring to losing the close games, the ones that could have been won, but slipped away for one reason or another.   If your team is down 12-2 in the 4th inning, when you end up losing, it's not so heartbreaking.

I'm glad to hear that I am not the only one who is kept awake by tough losses.  Smile   I know it's just a game, and I shouldn't take the losses so hard, but they keep me awake at night too, and they also affect my mojo the next day.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to Javi60's comment:

I disagree.  One run games are won or lost due to random factors or "luck".   A manager might have some impact, but not nearly as much as people think.  Many people credited Showalter last year as a big reason why the Os won so many one run games.  Showalter's Os are 13-16 in one run games this year.  Did he suddenly lose his ability to win the one run game?

Maddon, whom many consider a managerial genius, is 15-14 in one run games.

It often seems like a manager's decision, particularly late in a game, is the reason why a team won or lost.  But what about all of the events that took place earlier in the game?   Did they have no impact on the outcome?

As a general rule, managers are a factor in close games. See (not the 70+ version) Casey Stengel, Sparky Anderson, Tony LaRussa, & Terry Francona. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from upperco1. Show upperco1's posts

In response to nhsteven's comment:

Fandomish; these tend to even out; did you overlook the blown calls this season that went your way? Although not as vital to the outcome (one shall never know), you can start with the Nunez attempted steal of 2nd in the most recent Bos v NYY Series. Regardless, the game would have been tied yesterday, not won, so we'll never know about this game as well.

Nobody cares if it involves your Yankees. Go whine on a NY site.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

Hopefully the instant replay rules starting next yr shall be similar to the NFL, allowing a couple of flags to the Mgr. That would be quite an improvement in getting the calls right.

Yes, I'm sure no Yankee fan uttered a single bad word over the Nunez call.

Lecturing the fan base here never gets old for you, does it?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to upperco1's comment:

Nobody cares if it involves your Yankees. Go whine on a NY site.

Wacko obsessive, and sad.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to ThefourBs's comment:

Yes, I'm sure no Yankee fan uttered a single bad word over the Nunez call.

Lecturing the fan base here never gets old for you, does it?

I can't argue with this; but perhaps you should take your own heed with regard to your lecturing me; and projecting would be Standings based on only calls going against you was the subject; do you disagree? Would U like a rah-rah thread only?

Sections
Shortcuts